Indian Summer - Lazy Magnolia Brewing Company

Lazy Magnolia Brewing Company visit their website
Mississippi, United States

American Pale Wheat Ale |  4.68% ABV

Beer added by: weeare138 on 10-04-2007

Indian Summer is a light profile American-style wheat ale spiced with Orange Peel and Coriander. Our recipe uses a mix of wheat and pale barley. This beer is very lightly hopped to allow the spices to shine through. Clean fermenting yeast produce a very dry, crisp base to further accentuate the spices. The aroma has a distinct citrus note without being overly fruity.

3.67/5  rDev +11.2%

Bottle into Sam Adams sensory glass.

Pours clear gold, with loads of effervescence and a thin off-white head that disappears almost instantly into a few bubbles around the edges, those no retention and pretty much no lacing at all.

Orange peel is the thing to come out in the nose, strong and clear; clean wheat sits underneath, with just a wee bit of floral hops mixing with a very light bit of coriander to give this one some nice character.

Taste is straightforward and to-the-point. The spices take the forefront - orange zest and coriander are both big players in the taste, with a light body underneath that allows a wheaty, clean, lightly sweet body to come through just a bit. Clean-ness (cleanliness?) to the finish that is about all you're going to get in terms of hops. Spices are the star in this one, to the point that I'd put this in the spiced beer category, but it's really a pretty tasty beer.

Mouthfeel is light in body, crisp in carbonation, with a finish that's bigger and fuller than expected because of the spices.

Drinkability isn't good, though I imagine the big spiced character could potentially et out of hand. Certainly not bad though.

3.01/5  rDev -8.8%

Poured from a 12 ounce bottle into a pilsner glass.

A: A clear wheat colour with obscene amounts of bubbles. Honestly, these bubbles obscure my view through the glass and rise ceaselessly. A half-finger of head.

S: This beer doesn't smell like much. The label promises orange peel, hops, and coriander. I can detect a hint of coriander and not much else.

T: Meh. It's alright. The main taste is mostly neutral, vaguely sour, grainy beer. The endtaste and aftertaste carry all the spices in this "spiced ale." Here, there are traces of orange peel and carbonated coriander. The hops are absent, at least to my tongue, and the only bitterness in this beer comes from tang of the citrus peel. Overall, it's watery and dull, with a bit of excitement near the end.

M: There's a little carbonation and spice that tingles the tongue, but only briefly. Otherwise the beer just washes straight through to the gullet.

D: Pretty drinkable. The label compliments itself on its superb drinkable in Southeastern summers, but having reviewed this beer outside in Alabama in July, I can say with authority this claim is overrated. Drinkable? Sure. Sublimely so? Nope.

3.14/5  rDev -4.8%

Another vacation beer I can't find back home.

A- Pretty good. Has some nice color to it, really foamy, thick head on it. A pretty good looking beer I think. Pretty gold color to it.

S- You can smell the spice in it, pretty refreshing. The only thing that takes away from it is that it does have a bit of a metallic hint to it, not really a fan of that.

T- I hardly, if ever drink something so light. However, being in the South during the summer and I can't get it back home figured I'd give it a try. That metallic quality, whatever it may be follows in the aftertaste a bit. Being used to stouts I rate the bitterness 1/10 so it's pretty easy going, pretty light. I like my beer full-flavored so to me it's kind of boring, not much taste there. You can pick up some of the spice it talks about on the bottle.

M- Average, pretty light. It's actually going good with the lightness, refreshing in a sense. Decent change of pace.

D- That's give and take. I don't have any, but I think this is one of those beers that could be helped by a bit of lemon, or even an orange slice. Whether you consider that blasphemy or not is up t you, I do for the most part unless I'm drinking Modelo.

Overall just interesting I guess. Not something I would go after again I don't think, but a pleasant experience overall I would say. Like I said, I'm just not an ale guy, even during the summer months.

2.19/5  rDev -33.6%

Poured a decently clear (slight haze) tangerine with little specks of sediment on the bottom of the glass. Short lived 1.5" white head that left a scant ring. A small patch of lacing. Looks somewhat disappointing... And yes, it is quite so. Aroma of metallic orange sherbet with a tangy wheat touch. And tastes exactly as it smells as well. This is lacking in orange and has a weird metallic off flavor that is definitely getting in the way of my enjoyment. Slight caramel in the finish. Bubbly and lots of carbonation. I'm not a fan, hope I can finish this...

3.45/5  rDev +4.5%

12 oz bottle with a freshness date of 08/07/10. Pours a surprisingly clear, medium-dark gold color with an average white head that fades too quickly for a wheat beer. Does not leave much lacing either.

Nose has plenty of coriander and orange flesh aromas. A little sweet, like orange sorbet. Some wheat tang is there along with a clean floral aroma. Unfortunately not much in the way of yeast esters are present in the smell.

Tastes like a witbier without the soft and mildly fruity wit yeast profile. Strong spicing and plenty of wheat flavors. Some pithy orange peel flavors dont quite meld with the coriander...was hoping for something a bit softer. Still fairly enjoyable though, crisp and refreshing, tart even. Not bad, worth a go in the summertime.

3.42/5  rDev +3.6%

A - Gold, very little carbonation, and very small head which faded to nothing very rapidly.

S - Sweet malt with some floral hops.

T - Clean malt, a little sweetness, with some of the floral hop flavor.

M - Could use something more in there, watery.

D - Easy drinking refreshing beer that is pretty forgettable.

3.64/5  rDev +10.3%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A: A deep golden color with a very thin head that falls quickly, leaving no lace and hardly any retention over the top.

S: Aromatic profile is very light. A pleasant twinge of spice and sweetness, along with a slightly floral component with a dry malt undercurrent. Nuanced and enjoyable.

T&M: Flavor is very nice, with a light, crisp fruit flavor with some latent spice and zippy hop flavor. Gets light on the finish, but still with a reprise of fruity flavor. The yeast strain and spices seem to be the saving grace of the flavor. Body is light with a zesty carbonation level, though the bubbly could stand to be a touch more intense given the spiced flavors.

D: Very drinkable, a solid little wheat ale. Glad Lazy Mag has started bottling more than just the Southern Pecan.

3.47/5  rDev +5.2%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Thanks to PerzentRizen for the bottle. Poured into a pint glass.

Golden-orange pour. Very small white head disappears quickly. Halo of thin foam. No lacing.

Chalky, tart wheat and citrus/spice. This seems like a pretty standard witbier to me.

Flavor, again, seems to be pretty standard for a wit. Chalky wheat and spice in the finish. Not really a whole lot of lasting flavor.

Light bodied, with somewhat tingly carbonation. Not a bad summer beer. Not great, but a fairly easy drinker.

4.07/5  rDev +23.3%

Pours to a thin white head and no lacing. Orange-gold color, brilliant clarity. Aroma is strong wheat grain, orange peel and coriander. Flavor is (see aroma). Mouthfeel is light and clean with strong carbonation. Overall, a tasty, easy drinking, in-your-face herb-spice signature and tasty, refreshing wheat base that has broad appeal.

3.05/5  rDev -7.6%

Pours a light pale orange color with a bubbly off white head that falls with no lace.

Aroma is light toasted malts with lingering spices als light.

Taste is like the aroma light malt, with light spice. Label says orange peel but don't find it. Spice seems more like nutmeg then coriander though there are some light peppery notes.

Mouthfeel is light side of medium with peppy carbonation.

Drinkability is not great find this brew kind of dull and boring.

2.99/5  rDev -9.4%

Pours out orange with a small head. once the head is gone almost looks like iced tea, but carbonated.
smells sweet and flowery. i can definitely smell the orange peel and coriander but not too much of the hops. doesn't really please my nose, but i can give them respect for creating a cohesive and focused aroma.
tastes just like your average wheat beer with the orange and coriander on top. pretty light and refreshing after a day of painting but a little too sweet and flowery for me.

2.89/5  rDev -12.4%

Came with the Beer of the Month Club. Pours clear gold orange in color with a 1 finger white head that dissipates quickly; basically no lacing.

Smells good, like yeast, coriander, light spices, wheat, burnt grains and orange peel; pretty potent nose that's dominated by the wheat and grain.

Tastes spicy up front, with roasted grains, yeast, lemon, some malt, orange peel, hops, wheat, coriander, light caramel and spices, like pepper and floral hops. The roasted grains and citrus flavors trail at the end with a zesty metallic finish that's kind of like licking a penny.

Mouthfeel is very light and crisp with a fizzy feel on the tongue; this has very high/light carbonation and a light to medium body.

It would be highly drinkable and refreshing were it not for the grainy metallic finish, which i did not care for. A decent beer, but not one that I would seek out again

3.13/5  rDev -5.2%

Thanks to NewGeneric for this extra - knocking off another tough state in Mississippi. Served in a Half Acre pint glass. Best before May 6th, 2010.

A - Pours with three fingers of soapy white foam that quickly sizzles to a cap and leaves no lacing. Transparent golden body with a few tiny bubbles. I expect a bit of haze in a wheat beer - not sure why you'd filter this style.

S - Sharp tangy wheat that verges on metallic, earthy grains, a bit of coriander. As it warms a bit of caramel malt joins the party. Pretty average - like it a bit more than macros, but that's not saying a ton.

T - Taste is pretty bland and understated. Some light malted wheat and caramel sweetness, and some toasted grain character. This may the definition of average.

M - Zesty, tingly carbonation that is borderline harsh. Body is light and a bit grainy. Finish is light stickiness and not much else.

D - The harshness of the carbonation is the only real inhibitor here. This might be nice on a hot day down in the delta, but I can't see any other reason to re-visit this one.

3.9/5  rDev +18.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

12 ounce bottle brought back by my mother from a recent trip to FL. Poured into a pint glass.

The Indian Summer wheat pours a clear golden orange color with a minimal white frothy head and lots of carbonation. Not much retention on the glass. Also no haze to the color. Smells of musky grains and some citrus fruits. Not overpowering but pretty pleasant. Taste has much more citrus fruits than the nose. Lots of grapefruit with some bitterness to the finish. Some spiciness as well. Mouthfeel is crisp and fairly thin. Drinkability is solid. I really enjoy this beer, not overpowering but a nice flavor profile. Simple and and enjoyable.

3.89/5  rDev +17.9%

Wow, BOTMC selection from Brett Favre's hometown, let's give it a whirl. Popping the top yields a nice spicy nutmeg and coriander with some citrus notes particularly orange and banana. Pours to a pale yellow orange with a foamy multi-sized bubble head. Taste is very summer-like, nice spicing, hint of coriander, banana and orange zest. Good mouthfeel, not over carbonated. Tastes perfect on this 88 degree day. Taste is consistant throughout. I like the finish as it gets real zesty and tangy leaving a hankering for the next sip. For what this is its spot on. A great summer beer.

2.56/5  rDev -22.4%

Thanks to BeerFMAndy for this beer. Poured into my pint glass the beer is fairly clear golden yellow. With an aggresive pour I was able to produce about a finger of white head that faded almost instantly. No lace to be seen.

The aroma is super light. Only after sticking my nose deep into the glass and pull a serious whiff I can pick up a hint of oranges and vanilla. Like a very faint dreamsicle. That's about it. I maybe get a little spice but that might just my mind playing tricks on me after reading the label.

The flavor is just as muted as the nose. Nothing but a hint of fruitiness in the finish is all I can pick out. This beer is almost devoid of flavor. Nothing offensive. Nothing at all really.

Light body with moderate carbonation.

Overall a very bland lifeless beer. Not something I would ever pick up on my own.

3.1/5  rDev -6.1%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

Appearance: Pours a clear straw yellow color with a fluffy white head that didn't last as long as I would have liked for the style.

Smell: Faint coriander aroma, with a hint of floral hops and a touch of malts. Not much to speak of.

Taste: The citrus and banana flavors dominate. Next, the bready malt comes through along with the spices.

Mouthfeel: Feels light-bodied with very little carbonation.

Drinkability: A drinkable brew due to its low alcohol content, light mouthfeel and non-overpowering flavors. However, since I found this to be kind of lifeless, I will not seek out again.

2.96/5  rDev -10.3%

Not much to look at, kind of goldy-peach color with little to no head.

Has a nice smell to it, a combination of orange peel and cloves.

Tastes a lot like it smells...orange and cloves.

Not really spicy in the mouth, just some notes of bitter from the orange and spices, but not bad for a hot weather drink.

I wasn't all that impressed, it was a little more bitter than I would have liked and lacked a punch of flavor that I expected.

3.36/5  rDev +1.8%

Thanks to NewGeneric for this xtra!

A: Lively carbonation creates a fluffy white head. Took about three attempts to get this 12oz bottle into a 16oz nonic. Relatively clear. Bright straw color. Some sediment floating about.

S: Grassy. Little bit of wet hay. Some citrus. Typical witbier spices are apparent. Some sulfur in the scent, which isn't out of place for the style, but it is unpleasant in this particular beer.

T: Bright orange flavor. Malty sweetness. Coriander comes through loud and clear. There is nothing offensive in the taste department, but there is certainly nothing special that would separate it from the pack.

M: Soft and creamy, but just enough spritzy carbonation to somehow hinder the flavor. Honestly, the carbonation reminds me of my own homebrew projects that have been carbonated with corn sugar. Big, fleeting carbonation as opposed to a small, tightly beaded head.

D: High. I could see myself drinking 2 or 3 of these on a sunny patio some lazy afternoon in August.

This beer takes me back to when I used to drink Hoegaarden and Blue Moon like it was my job. Those beers were ultimately my gateway to "better beer" and Indian Summer would have been a staple for me a decade ago had I been able to get my hands on some. Witbiers are no longer my cup of tea (or beer...whatever) but I'm glad I got to try this one. I actually wish I had another bottle or two so some of my non-craft drinking friends could give it a whirl.

3.06/5  rDev -7.3%

This was a nice beer sent as a extra. I am glad I got to try it. It pours a light haze yellow. Some bananna sugar. It is a light beer at heart and has a nice taste but does not really break any new boundries or even hold its own. This would only be a go to if this was all I had to choose.

3.35/5  rDev +1.5%

GLASS: Franziskaner Weissbier Glass (0.5L)
TEMP: Cellared @ approx 55 degrees
BOTTLING DATE: 01/19/10

Since the glass is appropriately sized, I did an 'inverted' pour. (Bottle upside down into the bottle and slowly pull it up and out.) This gave me an almost four-finger head of off-white colored, craggy looking foam. It's sitting on top of a golden orange colored liquid which contains some serious yellow tinting. It has a very mild haze to it.The retention is okay and the lacing is spotty, but nicely sticky.

The nose is full of wheat. Along with a big helping of orange presence. Mild spice notes. A light yeastiness.
Somewhat mild, but I find that alot of wheat beers can be.

An earthy/grainy wheat presence dominates. (Big shock.) Some very nice citrus presence. Mostly oranges, but some lemons are also shining out. I'm getting the coriander, bit it's pleasantly mild. Decently bready yeast notes.

Light-to-medium body on this one. The carbonation level is fairly high. This helps it feel active and alive, but I think it distracts the drinker from the 'lightness' of the beer. (Maybe that's a good thing, I don't know.)

This is a beer that you could pound down all night long. Unfortunately, that's not what I really look for in a beer. It usually means that there just isn't alot going on with the beer, flavorwise. I can think of a few other beers that I'd reach for first the next time that I want a wheat beer.

3.82/5  rDev +15.8%

A: Pours a crystal clear golden color with a huge fluffy white head that dissipates nice and slow.

S: Lemon, orange and coriander dominate the aroma.

T: Orange and lemon come through plain as day with the coriander taking up the rear. A ton of carbonation gives this a very prickly mouthfeel.

D: All in all pretty good brew, gonna be great on a hot summer weekend.

3.25/5  rDev -1.5%

Bottle pours a clear golden body with a small white head that quickly vanishes. Only some minor spotty lace is left on the glass.

Aroma is muted. Some wheat, coriander, and a hint of orange rind.

Mouthfeel is light medium with an aggressive carbonation.

Tastes like your average pale wheat ale. Wheat malt, accented here with hints of coriander and orange peel. Some vague hop bittering.

I don't care for this style but Lazy Magnolia has produced a wheat ale that is as good as most. This would be enjoyable on a warm summer day.

2.97/5  rDev -10%

Poured from the bottle to a pint glass. Review is from notes taken on 2/22/2010.

Appearance: Pour is a pale straw color and starts with a mammoth head, literally takes like 5 attempts to finish pouring this one; body is quite clear and shows tons of carbonation; head is very fluffy and white and leaves billowy portions of lacing down the sides.

Smell: Lightly bitter hops that are slightly citric (orange) and grassy; light spice presence as well; a little clove and coriander and it comes across as a little peppery; slighlty wheaty and yeasty.

Taste: Not much to this at all -- very light citric hops (but they don't come across bitter at all); you pick up a little bit of the spices mentioned in the smell, but beyond that, this drinks like water. Utterly forgettable.

Mouthfeel: Strong carbonation makes for a very bubbly body; it's very light and crisp and finishes very clean - easily one of the highlights of this beer.

Drinkability: No weight to it and it tastes like water with an orange slice, so while you could drink a ton of it, but there's really no flavor or substance to it so why would you?

3.85/5  rDev +16.7%

Nice pale copper sort of color. Not much in the way of carbonation. Bready and caramel like aromas. Nice solid malt flavor upfront. Soft bitterness in the backround. Lingering sweetness. Very solid body for the lower abv. A nice beer-a lot of flavor and body. I could see doing a lot of this in any season.

Indian Summer from Lazy Magnolia Brewing Company