Indian Summer - Lazy Magnolia Brewing Company

Indian SummerIndian Summer

Lazy Magnolia Brewing Company visit their website
Mississippi, United States

American Pale Wheat Ale |  4.68% ABV

Indian Summer is a light profile American-style wheat ale spiced with Orange Peel and Coriander. Our recipe uses a mix of wheat and pale barley. This beer is very lightly hopped to allow the spices to shine through. Clean fermenting yeast produce a very dry, crisp base to further accentuate the spices. The aroma has a distinct citrus note without being overly fruity.

(Beer added by: weeare138 on 10-04-2007)
MasterSki

Ontario (Canada)

3.13/5  rDev -5.2%

Thanks to NewGeneric for this extra - knocking off another tough state in Mississippi. Served in a Half Acre pint glass. Best before May 6th, 2010.

A - Pours with three fingers of soapy white foam that quickly sizzles to a cap and leaves no lacing. Transparent golden body with a few tiny bubbles. I expect a bit of haze in a wheat beer - not sure why you'd filter this style.

S - Sharp tangy wheat that verges on metallic, earthy grains, a bit of coriander. As it warms a bit of caramel malt joins the party. Pretty average - like it a bit more than macros, but that's not saying a ton.

T - Taste is pretty bland and understated. Some light malted wheat and caramel sweetness, and some toasted grain character. This may the definition of average.

M - Zesty, tingly carbonation that is borderline harsh. Body is light and a bit grainy. Finish is light stickiness and not much else.

D - The harshness of the carbonation is the only real inhibitor here. This might be nice on a hot day down in the delta, but I can't see any other reason to re-visit this one.

05-09-2010 03:20:07 | More by MasterSki
abrand

3.93/5  rDev +19.1%

12 ounce bottle brought back by my mother from a recent trip to FL. Poured into a pint glass.

The Indian Summer wheat pours a clear golden orange color with a minimal white frothy head and lots of carbonation. Not much retention on the glass. Also no haze to the color. Smells of musky grains and some citrus fruits. Not overpowering but pretty pleasant. Taste has much more citrus fruits than the nose. Lots of grapefruit with some bitterness to the finish. Some spiciness as well. Mouthfeel is crisp and fairly thin. Drinkability is solid. I really enjoy this beer, not overpowering but a nice flavor profile. Simple and and enjoyable.

05-05-2010 03:40:18 | More by abrand
mooseisloose

3.9/5  rDev +18.2%

Wow, BOTMC selection from Brett Favre's hometown, let's give it a whirl. Popping the top yields a nice spicy nutmeg and coriander with some citrus notes particularly orange and banana. Pours to a pale yellow orange with a foamy multi-sized bubble head. Taste is very summer-like, nice spicing, hint of coriander, banana and orange zest. Good mouthfeel, not over carbonated. Tastes perfect on this 88 degree day. Taste is consistant throughout. I like the finish as it gets real zesty and tangy leaving a hankering for the next sip. For what this is its spot on. A great summer beer.

05-02-2010 17:52:12 | More by mooseisloose
beerwolf77

2.58/5  rDev -21.8%

Thanks to BeerFMAndy for this beer. Poured into my pint glass the beer is fairly clear golden yellow. With an aggresive pour I was able to produce about a finger of white head that faded almost instantly. No lace to be seen.

The aroma is super light. Only after sticking my nose deep into the glass and pull a serious whiff I can pick up a hint of oranges and vanilla. Like a very faint dreamsicle. That's about it. I maybe get a little spice but that might just my mind playing tricks on me after reading the label.

The flavor is just as muted as the nose. Nothing but a hint of fruitiness in the finish is all I can pick out. This beer is almost devoid of flavor. Nothing offensive. Nothing at all really.

Light body with moderate carbonation.

Overall a very bland lifeless beer. Not something I would ever pick up on my own.

05-01-2010 23:25:41 | More by beerwolf77
nsmartell

3.15/5  rDev -4.5%

Appearance: Pours a clear straw yellow color with a fluffy white head that didn't last as long as I would have liked for the style.

Smell: Faint coriander aroma, with a hint of floral hops and a touch of malts. Not much to speak of.

Taste: The citrus and banana flavors dominate. Next, the bready malt comes through along with the spices.

Mouthfeel: Feels light-bodied with very little carbonation.

Drinkability: A drinkable brew due to its low alcohol content, light mouthfeel and non-overpowering flavors. However, since I found this to be kind of lifeless, I will not seek out again.

04-29-2010 11:15:13 | More by nsmartell
RickS95

Indiana

2.95/5  rDev -10.6%

Not much to look at, kind of goldy-peach color with little to no head.

Has a nice smell to it, a combination of orange peel and cloves.

Tastes a lot like it smells...orange and cloves.

Not really spicy in the mouth, just some notes of bitter from the orange and spices, but not bad for a hot weather drink.

I wasn't all that impressed, it was a little more bitter than I would have liked and lacked a punch of flavor that I expected.

04-28-2010 23:42:30 | More by RickS95
AdamGarcia

3.35/5  rDev +1.5%

Thanks to NewGeneric for this xtra!

A: Lively carbonation creates a fluffy white head. Took about three attempts to get this 12oz bottle into a 16oz nonic. Relatively clear. Bright straw color. Some sediment floating about.

S: Grassy. Little bit of wet hay. Some citrus. Typical witbier spices are apparent. Some sulfur in the scent, which isn't out of place for the style, but it is unpleasant in this particular beer.

T: Bright orange flavor. Malty sweetness. Coriander comes through loud and clear. There is nothing offensive in the taste department, but there is certainly nothing special that would separate it from the pack.

M: Soft and creamy, but just enough spritzy carbonation to somehow hinder the flavor. Honestly, the carbonation reminds me of my own homebrew projects that have been carbonated with corn sugar. Big, fleeting carbonation as opposed to a small, tightly beaded head.

D: High. I could see myself drinking 2 or 3 of these on a sunny patio some lazy afternoon in August.

This beer takes me back to when I used to drink Hoegaarden and Blue Moon like it was my job. Those beers were ultimately my gateway to "better beer" and Indian Summer would have been a staple for me a decade ago had I been able to get my hands on some. Witbiers are no longer my cup of tea (or beer...whatever) but I'm glad I got to try this one. I actually wish I had another bottle or two so some of my non-craft drinking friends could give it a whirl.

03-29-2010 02:44:47 | More by AdamGarcia
Casey10

Maine

3.05/5  rDev -7.6%

This was a nice beer sent as a extra. I am glad I got to try it. It pours a light haze yellow. Some bananna sugar. It is a light beer at heart and has a nice taste but does not really break any new boundries or even hold its own. This would only be a go to if this was all I had to choose.

03-25-2010 03:55:18 | More by Casey10
coldmeat23

Oklahoma

3.35/5  rDev +1.5%

GLASS: Franziskaner Weissbier Glass (0.5L)
TEMP: Cellared @ approx 55 degrees
BOTTLING DATE: 01/19/10

Since the glass is appropriately sized, I did an 'inverted' pour. (Bottle upside down into the bottle and slowly pull it up and out.) This gave me an almost four-finger head of off-white colored, craggy looking foam. It's sitting on top of a golden orange colored liquid which contains some serious yellow tinting. It has a very mild haze to it.The retention is okay and the lacing is spotty, but nicely sticky.

The nose is full of wheat. Along with a big helping of orange presence. Mild spice notes. A light yeastiness.
Somewhat mild, but I find that alot of wheat beers can be.

An earthy/grainy wheat presence dominates. (Big shock.) Some very nice citrus presence. Mostly oranges, but some lemons are also shining out. I'm getting the coriander, bit it's pleasantly mild. Decently bready yeast notes.

Light-to-medium body on this one. The carbonation level is fairly high. This helps it feel active and alive, but I think it distracts the drinker from the 'lightness' of the beer. (Maybe that's a good thing, I don't know.)

This is a beer that you could pound down all night long. Unfortunately, that's not what I really look for in a beer. It usually means that there just isn't alot going on with the beer, flavorwise. I can think of a few other beers that I'd reach for first the next time that I want a wheat beer.

03-22-2010 21:33:44 | More by coldmeat23
rebel1771

3.83/5  rDev +16.1%

A: Pours a crystal clear golden color with a huge fluffy white head that dissipates nice and slow.

S: Lemon, orange and coriander dominate the aroma.

T: Orange and lemon come through plain as day with the coriander taking up the rear. A ton of carbonation gives this a very prickly mouthfeel.

D: All in all pretty good brew, gonna be great on a hot summer weekend.

03-17-2010 23:13:44 | More by rebel1771
merlin48

Kentucky

3.28/5  rDev -0.6%

Bottle pours a clear golden body with a small white head that quickly vanishes. Only some minor spotty lace is left on the glass.

Aroma is muted. Some wheat, coriander, and a hint of orange rind.

Mouthfeel is light medium with an aggressive carbonation.

Tastes like your average pale wheat ale. Wheat malt, accented here with hints of coriander and orange peel. Some vague hop bittering.

I don't care for this style but Lazy Magnolia has produced a wheat ale that is as good as most. This would be enjoyable on a warm summer day.

02-27-2010 23:44:23 | More by merlin48
bamadog

Kentucky

2.88/5  rDev -12.7%

Poured from the bottle to a pint glass. Review is from notes taken on 2/22/2010.

Appearance: Pour is a pale straw color and starts with a mammoth head, literally takes like 5 attempts to finish pouring this one; body is quite clear and shows tons of carbonation; head is very fluffy and white and leaves billowy portions of lacing down the sides.

Smell: Lightly bitter hops that are slightly citric (orange) and grassy; light spice presence as well; a little clove and coriander and it comes across as a little peppery; slighlty wheaty and yeasty.

Taste: Not much to this at all -- very light citric hops (but they don't come across bitter at all); you pick up a little bit of the spices mentioned in the smell, but beyond that, this drinks like water. Utterly forgettable.

Mouthfeel: Strong carbonation makes for a very bubbly body; it's very light and crisp and finishes very clean - easily one of the highlights of this beer.

Drinkability: No weight to it and it tastes like water with an orange slice, so while you could drink a ton of it, but there's really no flavor or substance to it so why would you?

02-26-2010 05:30:58 | More by bamadog
lackenhauser

Maryland

3.88/5  rDev +17.6%

Nice pale copper sort of color. Not much in the way of carbonation. Bready and caramel like aromas. Nice solid malt flavor upfront. Soft bitterness in the backround. Lingering sweetness. Very solid body for the lower abv. A nice beer-a lot of flavor and body. I could see doing a lot of this in any season.

02-07-2010 00:30:48 | More by lackenhauser
PorterLambic

3.85/5  rDev +16.7%

Pours a cloudy orange/amber color with a 1/2" off-white head that dissipates pretty quickly.
Smell is malt, spice, yeast. Well balanced.
Taste is malt, spice, yeast, citrus, vanilla in aftertaste with a hint of alcohol. Well balanced.
Medium bodied, light effervesce on tongue tip. Slightly warming in throat. Very nice, will look for more from them.

02-02-2010 02:33:53 | More by PorterLambic
jovy1097

Louisiana

3.28/5  rDev -0.6%

Poured from 12 oz bottle into a nonic pint.

Appearance: Orange/gold, transparent liquid that was obviously filtered because of the clarity. 1 cm head that quickly dissipated leaving no trace. Disappointing for a wheat beer where I expect huge heads.

Smell: The orange fragrance was very prevalent along with a floral hops hint. Pleasant.

Taste: Tangy orange. This is the prominent flavor throughout. There is a very slight bitterness to balance the flavor. The aftertaste is pure orange sweet-tart that stays around for a while in the mouth. You can savor some of the typical wheat malt that is common to the style.

Mouthfeel: Medium. About normal for the style. Not too much or too little carbonation.

Drinkability: A very drinkable brew that I would have again, but it's far from my favorite for the style. I like orange, so that doesn't turn me off like it might others. I'd have one again, but don't know if I'd buy a six-pack.

Comments: It was not what I expected. I anticipated something more like a Belgian Wit or a German Hefe, but it was neither. None of the cloudy, flavorful yeasts to be had in those styles. However, I don't think this was supposed to be one of those but rather it's own thing.

02-01-2010 18:11:20 | More by jovy1097
kingcrowing

Vermont

3.43/5  rDev +3.9%

12oz bottle poured into a pint glass.

Pours a nice golden wheat color with a small white head. Nose is spicy, sharp and a bit bready/yeasty.

Taste is a nice combination of wheaty and spicy. like a combo of an american wheat with a Belgian. It's quite drinkable and quite well done!

01-26-2010 02:10:58 | More by kingcrowing
CharlatanSin

Connecticut

2.38/5  rDev -27.9%

Thanks to piginapen for shipping me this one. The description on the bottle sounds interesting, so I looked forward to trying it. It poured a golden yellow into my pint glass with a large white fizzy head that dissipates quickly. Slightly hazy.

The smell is unmistakably wheat, which dominates. A hint of a citrus kick concealed under all the grain. The smell is not bad. The taste, unfortunately, is a different story. This is the first beer that I can completely confidently describe as a mess. There's no better word for it.

The sweetness is more akin to cough syrup than anything else. It's that thick, burning sweetness that you feel in the back of your throat and up in your sinuses. I guess molasses has the same effect. Anyway, that in and of itself doesn't ruin a beer. But it's mixed with a peppery spiciness which does its work in the exact same areas, and the competing effects clash horribly. There's also a not-unpleasant wheat taste, of course, but it's totally overwhelmed.

It's light and crisp, but that doesn't nearly make up for the taste. Oh, well. Lazy Magnolia makes better stuff, so when I visit family in Louisiana, at least I'll have better options.

01-21-2010 02:10:17 | More by CharlatanSin
NYCWheatFanSC

3.5/5  rDev +6.1%

A - slightly murky golden orange, with a near non-existent off-white head

S - Very sweet and nutty, with a hint of apricot and coriander. No real orange to be found, to sweet smelling to be citrusy

T - Malty orange, coriander, and a bit of nutmeg. Very spicy. Not too strong on any one characteristic, but well balanced among the three good, albeit lackluster, flavors.

M - A bit thick and slick, especially for a "summer" ale.

D - I'd drink this on the regular if I had to, as it is a good baseline craft beer. I wouldn't seek it out again though

01-20-2010 23:58:28 | More by NYCWheatFanSC
Mora2000

3.5/5  rDev +6.1%

Thanks to piginapen for sending this one to me.

Pours golden orange with a minimal white head. Not much aroma, but what is there is wheat and some unidentifiable fruit. The flavor is more pronounced with wheat, yeast and a citrus fruit, possibly apricot or orange. Thin mouthfeel and medium carbonation. Nothing special, but this would be a great beer to drink on a hot summer day.

01-08-2010 06:58:19 | More by Mora2000
alpinebryant

Connecticut

3.23/5  rDev -2.1%

Acquired from piginapen in a trade
Poured a crystal clear marigold yellow with a large white head at first, which quickly dissipated to a light ring around the top.

Smells mostly of orange peel, a light hop presence, and a very light coriander aroma as indicated on the bottle. Might not have been detectable had I not read it.

Tastes extremely crisp, light with dough yeast flavor the most prominent, also some orange peel and coriander taking the main stage on flavor after a second. Slight metallic taste, definitely a light wheat mouthfeel which is relatively watery. As it warmed, pepper also became more noticeable

This one is meant for a hot day as it probably is in Mississippi during the Indian summer days down there. I felt like this beer would be more suited to drinking in September up here in New England.

12-09-2009 00:19:20 | More by alpinebryant
sweemzander

1.65/5  rDev -50%

12oz. bottle poured into an imperial pint. 1-18-10 printed on the label. Thanks to BeerFMAndy for the trade.

(A)- Pours a clear orange hue that produced a minimal head that dissipated immediately.

(S)- Some orange peel and loads of coriander I believe. Smells almost like that orange flavored cough syrup you had when you were a kid.

(T)- It does practically taste like that same super sugary sweet orange flavored cough syrup! The only difference is with some sweet honey malts & corn husk.

(M)- A good carbonation level but there isnt anything else I like about this. Its really sugary sweet.

(D)- This is very nostalgic of my childhood when I would get sick and have to drink that orange flavored medicine; not the fondest memories considering they all surround me being sick or ill. Sorry, but this one doesnt sit well with me.

12-08-2009 00:47:20 | More by sweemzander
corby112

3.43/5  rDev +3.9%

12oz. bottle received as an extra in a recent trade with piginapen. Thanks again man!

Pours a clear very pale golden orange color with pale, light golden yellow hues when held to a light source and a one finger foamy white head that quickly fades into a thin lasting ring.

Sweet spicy citrus aroma with some bready yeast and toasty malt presence. Hints of orange peel, peppery zest, corriander, bread and toasty graham cracker malt.

Light up front with a heavier medium body towards the end of the palate with a nice amount of bready yeast, light sweet citrus fruit, subtle malt backbone and a prominent peppery/spicy character. Nice biscuit and graham crackery malt backbone with subtle bread flavor along with sweet citrus orange peel and a strong spicy corriander presence. The corriander flavor is the most prominent but there is also a good amount of the orange peel citrus. Well balanced and a refreshing session beer for the warmer months.

12-05-2009 05:56:59 | More by corby112
Traquairlover

3.68/5  rDev +11.5%

Thanks to piginapen for this 12-oz bottle. Poured into a pint glass.

A = Clear golden liquid, small white head, small amount of carbonation bubbling with medium sized bubbles.

S = Light citrus, mostly lemon, with toasted English muffins, nice and fresh, but a little simple.

T = Lemon zest, very faint cinnamon and nutmeg notes, floral highlights, good balance with some sweet bread tastes mixed well with light bitterness.

M = Light body, decent mouthcoating, light tingling level of carbonation.

D = This is a nice drinkable beer that would make a very good choice for a patio beer in good bar-b-que weather.

11-28-2009 16:26:29 | More by Traquairlover
BeerFMAndy

2.55/5  rDev -22.7%

12 oz bottle poured into a Samuel Adams Summer Ale Stange. 01/18/10 printed on label. No date.

Thanks to PerzentRizen for this new beer to try!

A - Indian summer pours lightly hazy and golden yellow with a big white head. Little retention leads way to a thin white layer with a tiny arch or lace.

S - Initially the aroma was bursting with orange peel but has since diminished in strength allowing for other nuances of wheat and a light graininess with the malts to pull through. A good coriander addition too.

T - W...t...f... I don't really know exactly whats going on here since I've never experienced this in a beer, but it isn't good. Light sweet malts in the rear with a heavy coriander spice up front. There is something going on I've never experienced in a beer that seems like possible over-spicing but I'm really not a fan of this one.

M - Really weird spices give a funky feel to it. Otherwise it's a little zesty and soft with a lower-medium body.

D - I can't get over this incredibly awkward flavor! I don't know what it is but I don't like it. It's really not...bad per se but it's not something I'd want again.

11-26-2009 17:40:58 | More by BeerFMAndy
bonkers

3.45/5  rDev +4.5%

Thanks to piginapen for this one. It pours a fizzy yellow with a moderate white head. The aroma is bread infused with coriander. The flavor profile is heavy on orange and coriander, slightly sweet and zesty. The beer is a bit thin. A decent wheat beer that kinda works for me.

11-22-2009 00:13:51 | More by bonkers