Christian Moerlein Hefeweizen - Christian Moerlein Brewing Company

Christian Moerlein Brewing Company visit their website
Ohio, United States

Hefeweizen |  ABV ?

Availability: Summer

(Beer added by: weeare138 on 05-22-2005)
Reviews by mobyfann:
4.33/5  rDev +11%

Paid $4.99 for the 6'er @ "the Source" in Bellvue,

The beer pours a absolutly clear golden base, no haze like some Hefe's, with a medum white head that lasts for a minute or two, no real head retention and a trace of lace. the beer has an unusually nice smell to it of mainly citrus fruits.

The taste, like the Dunkel has that unique CM taste to it, but is more of a CM than a Hefe, so to the style is not true... however, it is REAL tasty and has a very unique flavor that you will not get anywhere. The carbonation is light and to sum in with all Hefe's it is the a) most tasty, b) easiest drinking and c) most likely to have another...

Final Thought: When I first tried this I didn't know what to say so I held the review till I have the second, but this beer's originality and wonderful fruit flavor earn some solid/high marks in my beer notebook. An exceptional buy in Cincinnati!!!

3.98/5  rDev +2.1%

Poured from a 12oz bottle into a small hotel tumbler, as that is all that's available to me here in my room at my super-exciting conference on water quality trading.
Body is a deep golden hue with a touch of haze. Carbonation is good, but bubbles are better sized for an industrial lager. Small head disappears almost immediately.
Aroma is quite nice - wheat, German yeast, banana, and clove. Palate is more of the same - a tasty blend of wheat, light hops, and notes of banana, clove, and white pepper. Body is pleasant and bubbly, yet a bit thick for a hefeweizen. Very drinkable, great on a warm summer night.

There are some beers, no matter what the style, where you know that you are drinking a specific brand. Christian Moerlein is one of them, and their Hefeweizen is no exception. I’ve tried many Hefeweizens since summer has started. This one isn’t so much better than the others as it is unique from the others. I would say that a trained connoisseur of beer would be able to say that this beer is both Christian Moerlein, and a Hefeweizen brew. I am a bit prejudice since I’m a Cincinnatian, but this is definitely worth a try, especially if you’re like me, and prefer beers other than Lager style.

4.18/5  rDev +7.2%

This beer is loaded with estery flavors and aromas, as one would expect from a true hefeweizen. It sports a hazy pale yellowish color and thin head. The aroma was very good, with hints of clove and overall a sweeter smell. The taste was packed with flavor. Very subtle hops but a nice bit of citrusy, bannana flavors. Truly a surprising beer to me, as I have found most American attempts to make a hefeweizen to fall far short of the German counterparts. This beer stands up to that criticism and deserves a spot in the fridge.

2.8/5  rDev -28.2%

Well I saw this on the shelf a couple weeks back and had heard about it so I decided to pick one up. Poured a dull hazy golden yellow, with a small fizzy white head that was quickly left to nothing. A small thin film then graced the top with little to no lacing. Some bubbles streaming up from the bottom. Smell was odd, very yeasty but with some sour grapes attached to it. if fact the smell was very bitter and kinda threw me a little when I first caught a whiff. The taste was more of the same. Lots of yeast and wheat, however it was very very bitter. Lots of sour grapes in the flavor, almost dominated the entire drink, way to bitter for a Hefe in my opinion. The mouthfeel was ok, a little slick and not enough carbonation for me, but ok otherwise. The drinkablity is a little hampered by it being soo bitter. I was expecting a nice drinkable Hefe and was taken a back by this being so bitter. Overall I would not go here again. Its not horrible per se, just not my cup of tea. I would much rather have a crisp, clean german hefe that I can throw down like water on a hot day. This was just too sour for my tastes.

4.15/5  rDev +6.4%

Thanks to beermaninpa for this one.
...Says on the bottle it was brewed in Wilkes-Barre, PA. Perhaps at the Lion?
Appears a cloudy haze of gold with a fluffy 1 finger head that lasts for a minute. Several spots of white lacing are seen throughout the glass. Difficult to see any carbonation through the cloudy brew but a few medium bubbles appear on the outskirts occasionally.
Smell is of sugary wheat, banana, clove, and yeast.
Taste covers the palate as a sweet, creamy wheat brew with a punch of banana and clove.
Mouthfeel is great. Creamy taste starts off in the front of the tongue with sugary, toasted wheat resonating with some bitter and slight sour notes on the semi dry finish. This authentic German brew is worth checking out.

Finger licking good!

4.5/5  rDev +15.4%

I'm a big fan of wheats and especially Hefe Weizens, and I'd never heard of Christian Moerlein so I'd thought of giving it a try. Popped the bottle open and poured into a Weizen, following the nice helpful instructions on the back.

Appearance: Generated a nice half-inch white head, with a cloudy, bubbly, and downright sexy golden-orange color. Got the weizen look down pat.

Smell: Oh man. Talk about fruity; the bottle does not lie. Banana, orange, lemon. I can't wait to try this.

Taste and Mouthfeel: Surprisingly thicker. Somewhat creamy, carrying all the flavors the aroma hinted at. Pretty juicy, even without a lemon or orange peel (which the brewer suggests for a change). Very refreshing. Talk about a classic hefe weizen. I love it.

4.15/5  rDev +6.4%

Very nice hefeweizen. I could smell the esters as soon as I popped the bottle open before I even poured it. The head was very nice and the color was a hazy, unfiltered looking golden. The flavor and aroma were a nice blend of banana and clove with that stingy mouthfeel that a good hefe always has. Glad to see that Christian Moerlein is brewing at its same standard as when they were brewing in Cincinnati.

4.08/5  rDev +4.6%

Appearance: Hazy gold on the pour. While the color was fantastic, there was little head retention, which may be my only disappointment.
Smell: Citrusy smell, hints of bananna
Mouthfeel: Smooth, thick consistency. Very pleasent.
Taste: Great! Sweet with citrussy hops. Extremely dinkable.
All in all, a fantastic brew, espescially for the price ($5 for a sixer). I will definately come back to this one again.

4.13/5  rDev +5.9%

Appearance - pours a hazy dull gold into a tall hefe glass. Nice off-white sparkly cap of a finger's thickness or so. Melts down slowly, leaving a dotty infrequent lace behind.

Aroma - initial nose has a burst of banana and clove, then settles out some, showing some crackery malt as well. Balances lightly but evenly.

Taste - very nice blend of hefe flavors. Malts, banana, yeast, spiciness, all mingling well with one another. Slight alcohol taste in the finish. More malts show through as it warms, even some pils flavor in there.

Mouthfeel - smooth, not quite buttery but nice and easy-going. Carbonation level is complementary to the style, though more bead would be attractive in the hefe glass.

Drinkability - easily sessionable, this hefe is a fine approachable brew for the masses and the distinguishing beer drinker alike. Well done Greg and Company!

3.75/5  rDev -3.8%

One of the truer beers from this brewery. With a standard dark yellow color and good head retention, the beer smells wheat-ey and malty immediately. Sweet, fruity, estery, and spicy early on. Tastes pleasantly malty with comparable wheat base. Lightly estery and pepery to decorate the flavor. Medium texture and a moderately clean finish. Nothing to complain about; better than most American Wheat beers but still can't compete with good German Hefeweizens.

3.33/5  rDev -14.6%

Poured aggressively into a pilsner glass it forms a rather lackluster, limp head that fades fast and eventually falls to a small island. Cloudy, orange hue in the center but mainly a golden color.

This could be used as an introductory type brew as its light and fairly refreshing but lacking in a couple of crucial areas. Bananna is there although very subtle, rather on the spicey end of the spectrum. Some raw grainy,wheat on the backend Mcgillicutty as well.

Notes: A decent hefe that finishes on the peppered side and lingers for some time. Not the most drinkable as it doesnt have that clean finish I desire in any session brew.

3.93/5  rDev +0.8%

Poured a hazy honey, white cap dissipated quickly. Aroma was pretty typical for a hefeweizen... banana, wheat, light yeast, but still very clean nose. Flavor was basic ripe banana, sweet esters, wheat, and yeast. Nothing spectacular, but just a basic version of this type. Mouthfeel had med carbonation, refreshing finish. Would not mind having again sometime.

4.1/5  rDev +5.1%

When first poured into the glass, the color was a hazy golden yellow with a orange hue. The smell of wheat and spices filled the nose with a pleasant aroma. The taste was pleasant enough, with the flavors of spices, wheat, yeast and just a hint of banana. Overall, a pleasant Hefeweizen that was a nice surprise. The warmer it got the more the spices and fruit flavor came out.

3.78/5  rDev -3.1%

Hazy gold, topped with a receding white head. Decent head retention. Mainly sourish wheat malt in the nose, clovey, with a lighter banana note. Kinda bready, cereal grainy. The flavor opens up pretty well. Sweetish malt, immediately bolstered by a pleasant apple and banana fruitiness. The fruity esters are actually really nice. Some spicy clove in the finish, not nearly as much as the scent was insisting, which is fine with me. Wheaty sourness is there, but reserved, balancing out the brew adequately. Nice and smooth, soft with wheat malt. Light bodied, with sprightly carbonation. Not particularly exciting, but pretty solid. On par with some of the better examples of the style.

4.25/5  rDev +9%

Am I wrong by saying that a Hefe smells a bit like Juicy Fruit gum? To me, it does. When I had my first at the Cumberland in Louisville I got that impression and every one that I have sampled that smelled like that were truer to the style. The two previous beers I had sampled were not true hefes but made better American Wheats and I can really tell the difference these days.

App: When I poured this as instructed, great head, not as cloudy but still a nice color.

Smell: As advertised. Juicy fruit! Wheat, fruit, it makes me want to chew it.

Mouth: Thicker, coats the mouth, wants to be savored rather than swallowed , excellent.

Taste: True. Period. This beer has the style nailed. Hint of orange, stong and full wheat taste. The only thing detracting was a note of "rusty" water at the very end, but still, nailed this. It makes me wish I had a six rather than one from a sampler.

Well, if I want a good bottled Hefe, I have found it. Drinkability is excellent . If they are going to try and give Sam Adams a run for thier money, this is a great start.

3.18/5  rDev -18.5%

Hazy golden yellow color with a medium thin white head that has poor retention. Thin spotty lacing. Sweet aroma of fruit and malt. Medium-bodied and fairly wheaty, with some spice and fruit flavors. The finish is on the flat side with a lingering honey sweetness, as well as a pinch of hops and spice. This beer is pretty vanilla all around.

3.85/5  rDev -1.3%

Pours a hazy golden honey color witha nice fluffy white head that dissipated quickly. Aroma was pretty typical for a hefeweizen, banana, wheat, light yeast, and some clove notes, just not as much as the classic German hefes. Flavor was basic with ripe banana, clove, wheat, and yeast. Nothing spectacular, but a good jab at the style.

3.75/5  rDev -3.8%

3.58/5  rDev -8.2%

Hmmm... this one is difficult for me. I should start by saying that I'm a big Hefe fan and this one just didn't "do it" for me.

The appearance is good. It looks like a hefe should... nice and cloudy. The smell is better than average, sort of a cross between sweet and citrus (however that happens, ha!). The taste can come across as flat and bitter to me. The mouthfeel was pretty good, though. It was light and cleansing to the palate.

I didn't rate this as high on drinkability as I do other hefes, just because I kinda got tired of it after a couple.

All in all, I don't mean to "slam" it. It was a "steal" at Liquor Barn for 2.99 per sixer. I'd drink it again.

Christian Moerlein Hefeweizen from Christian Moerlein Brewing Company