Christian Moerlein Over-The-Rhine Ale - Christian Moerlein Brewing Company

Beer added by: brewdlyhooked13 on 05-05-2007

Ratings: 289 | Reviews: 120
1.83/5  rDev -49.9%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

Got this one in a mix six pack.

A- Nice copper/ amber color, 1 and a half finger head, nice retention for a while.
S- Nice, if it were potpourri, fruits, spice, cinnamon.
T- Like potpourri with malts.
M- Overly fizzy to a tongue numbing degree.

Avoid at all cost. I took two sips and poured it out.

2.4/5  rDev -34.2%

Appears a clear copper hue with a light off white khaki head. Forms fine speckled lacing evenly up the sides of my glass. Aroma is very tame with a mild herbal/citric hop accent and light caramel maltiness. Flavor is dominated by sticky sweet carmamelized sugars that simply coat the palate in a very much ovebearingly unbalanced way. The hop bite really doesn't make it across because of the extent of the sweetness of the sticky sweet caramelized malts, maybe in the back end there's a touch of herbal citric hop character but nothing pungently bitter. Mouthfeel may be the worst part it almosts gags me to gulp this down very harsh sticky unrefined caramelized malts on the palate make the whole experience unbearable. Overall this is a really mediocre example of an APA and I question that style branding for a beer called Over the Rhine.

2.62/5  rDev -28.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Listed at 6.55%

White head. Slightly hazed copper gold.

Flavor is a rather odd mix of hops. It's weedy but also clean. A bit floral. A fair amount of bready malts.

Mouthfeel is kind of bitter and sticky. Medium bodied.

Overall, I wasn't a fan of this pale ale. Things didn't go together with this beer.
It just wasn't enjoyable.

2.71/5  rDev -25.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 2.5

Poured into a pint glass.

3.5 A: Hazy dark orange/amber color. Two fingers of half frothy/half creamy head with good retention, but minimal lacing.

2.5 S: Big hit of buttery pungent breadiness. Caramel malts with some graininess. Slight citrusy twang from the hops.

2.5 T: Buttery breadiness and some off flavors that I can't put my finger on. The taste is reminiscent of a poorly executed homebrew. Pine and orange hop flavor.

4.0 M: Medium fuller body. Good carbonation, creamy.

2.5 D: Not a big fan of breadiness in an APA.

2.71/5  rDev -25.8%

Went to a Moerlein tasting and had this as one of five samplers. This was my favorite.

Pours a light copper with a slightly off-white head. Slight amount of fruity malts in the nose, possibly a touch of hops. The taste is mild, but relatively balanced. Not overly sweet like basically all of the other offerings. Just a touch of hops with biscuit, caramel malts. I actually had no idea this was a Pale Ale when I tried it. Mouthfeel is medium with a light-medium carbonation. Overall, I did say this was my favorite, but this is not a great beer by any means. Not sure why they feel like these beers need to be so sweet. This is not like most Pale Ales that I have had. Style is either wrong or brewed poorly.

2.75/5  rDev -24.7%

Poured from a chilled bottle into a pint glass. The beer is amber colored. It has a lot of carbonation bubbles clinging to the bottom of the glass; every so often one releases and rises to the surface. Atop the beer is a thin tan foam head that quickly disappeared. I can now see the rising bubbles reach the surface and pop. The aroma is sweet and oak-like. There is also an aspect to it that reminds me of cookie dough. The beer is light and malty at first, with a big sweet, finish. It reminds me of melted chocolate chips. I'm not sure the beer is supposed to taste like this...I'm afraid the bottle may have turned. The beer has a lighter body and an average amount of carbonation. There is a little bit of coating, but nothing significant. I'm finding this one a bit hard to drink, but as I said above, I think this may be a bad bottle. I'll have to try another and modify my review as needed.

2.8/5  rDev -23.3%

Appearance - Pours a bright amber/copper color with an inch thick, creamy white head. Dissipates quickly and leaves spotted lacing.

Smell - It has your average, bitter pale ale aroma.

Taste - Very bitter and malty. Has strong smoky and herbal flavors as well.

Mouthfeel - Medium bodied with high carbonation.

Overall - I do not like this APA compared to all the others I've tried.

2.88/5  rDev -21.1%

Bottle from Party Source. The bottle had some weird crustys around the cap after I removed it so that is not a good sign. The beer pours a slightly luminous orange-amber color with absolutely no head or lacing. Also not a good sign. Light malt and pine in the nose. Medium-bodied and fruity with some toasted malt and piney hops flavor, however the flavors are buried by tartness. The finish is tart fruit with a touch of sweet malt. I have to conclude I got a bad bottle, but will need to try again to be sure.

Pretty floral in the nose with a light fruity sweetness to it. Not bad, pretty typical for an APA.

Taste has a floral quality to it straight away with a small fruit sweetness and a note of grain in there as well. Finish has a somewhat assertive, medicinal bitterness to it to close it out dryly...I also percept a slight sourness there. Not sure about that.

The beer has all the notes of a standard APA but all in all I didn't enjoy it as much as most APA's. It's actually kind of hard to pinpoint...though the finish isn't exactly what I wanted.

look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

12oz bottle poured into a pint glass.

Pours a hazy medium brown with a 2 finger tan head. Great lacing.

Smells very floral. Some light biscuit in there.

The taste is very floral with some yeastyness. Moderate bitterness throughout lingering through the finish. A little bit of malt is detectable.

Just an ok beer that I don't really care about having again.

3.03/5  rDev -17%

A copper color with an off white head that is about a quater inch high, but quickly dissolves away. Carbonation is strongly visible in the glass. The sweet scent of malt comes out, along with bread and fruity esters at the end. That sweetness comes out in the flavor it stays with you till almost the very end, when when a mild smck of bitterness crosses the palate. The medium bodied feel starts at the front of each taste, but thins out as it reaches the back of the palate. A strong offering, not what I was expecting from this brewery. Solid flavor, make this a good go to beer when nothing can be found, plus a good cross over beer to get macro drinkers to try.

3.06/5  rDev -16.2%

Got as part of the Beer of the Month Club that I got from one of my sales guys. Poured from a 12oz bottle into a pint glass. No dating info on the bottle but should be fresh. It was a rich copper color with just a hint of carbonation and lacing that slides down the sides leaving no trace. It had an average off white head that settled into a thin, broken film with a collar.

The aroma was floral hops and malt - kinda weak. Didn't smell like the typical APA as it was more malty and less hops than I expected. The taste was good but not great. Again, it didn't taste like a normal APA. Really wasn't much there.

Overall, it was an average beer that is just above a non-light BMC. I'd heard good things about this one from a friend but it missed the mark for me. One and done except that I got 3 in the box (can you say extras for trades). Don't recommend unless you can get a free taste. Just too many other great APA's out there to bother with this one.

3.11/5  rDev -14.8%

Grabbed a bottle of this at Wolf's Premium Nuts and Wines in Findlay, OH. 12oz bottle poured into a pint glass.

Pours a very dark amber. Much darker than expected. A big frothy off-white head caps this off. Decent retention; leave some pretty sip rings and sticky lace. Scents of toasted caramel, sweet tea, and fresh toffee. Different.

The body on this crisp, but it's a tad heavy. The flavor profile of this beer is much maltier than expected. Lots of caramel sweetness, some tea, and a little charring on the finish. Hop presence is surprisingly absent. Bitterness is moderate. This is odd. I guess I'm probably pushing the limits on the the freshness of this bottle (as spring-releases are probably released in the winter), so I could expect the hops to fade. But upon further inspection of other reviews, this seems to be the norm for this beer. I most likely wouldn't chase this one down, but it still was an ok beer.

3.13/5  rDev -14.2%

Bottle. Pours a coppery color. I had no idea what style this beer was. It smells so generic it hurts. Caramel malt, some estery aromas. Yep. The first sip did not do this beer any favors in my eyes. Boring. Fruity, caramelly, estery. There's something just a little odd about the flavor that I can't put my finger on either. Medium bodied. Not much bitterness. This one is hard to remember.

3.13/5  rDev -14.2%

A - Poured out of the bottle a finger of head. Color is a slightly hazy reddish amber.

S - Tons more carmel than I remember. no hops to speak of.

T - Lots of malt, toffee and caramel. Slight hop bitter aftertaste.

M/D - Mouthfeel is actually the high point of this beer. Very smooth and rich, aka; just right. This is reasonably drinkable and easy findable around Cincinnati

3.15/5  rDev -13.7%

Single bottle poured into a shaker pint glass. Lots of numbers on the bottle, but nothing that I could interpret as a date.

Appearance: Very slightly hazy coppery orange color beer, with a 1/8" off-white head that died down to form a ring around the edge and a skim of foam across the top. Some strands of lacing as I drank it down.

Smell: Orange, citrus, a hint of pine, and a good malt backbone.

Taste: Quite good when cold. Upfront citrus flavor (orange-to-grapefruit) with a solid malt sweetness to temper the tart hop/citrus flavor. However, this beer is best cold, as it warms up there is point where it starts to taste (to me anyway) like artificially sweetened iced tea with lemon...which for me is not a good thing. Note I say, starts to taste like. It's in there, but it does get washed out by the other flavors. I think the fuggle hops that they identify on the bottle are the problem - I think they're clashing too much with the other flavors and creating that tea-like flavor for me. Could just be me.

Mouthfeel: Some carbonation on the tongue, typical thickness for this style of beer. Nothing special.

Drinkability: This beer is best when cold, but for me it had a very narrow temperature window, after which I did not care for it. So when cold very drinkable, but past that temperature, it becomes a bit of a chore to finish.

3.15/5  rDev -13.7%

Copper color, fairly bright. Dark for an APA. Head is white but fades quickly. Leaves a ring of foam and a spotty layer atop the brew. A bit of spotty lace clings to the glass.

Bread, toffee, faint piney hops, metal, diacetyl. This is striking me as much more of an English ale than an APA, again.

Taste is much the same. Heavy toffee flavors, even a little raisiny fruit. There is still a bit of a metallic tinge to it, but it's not prominent. Are there hops here? I can't find them. Slight bitter aftertaste, but not hoppy. It's not bad, but it's no APA.

Heavy mouthfeel, slightly sticky, low carbonation.

Drinkability isn't bad, but it's not good, either.

I can't find any indication of how old this beer is, and I'd really love to hear that it's way better fresh. If I was grading it as an English-style ale, I'd rank it half a point higher across the board. As is, this is not at the top of my list of beers to revisit.

3.2/5  rDev -12.3%

Dark ochre with bright tangerine trim. There must be a fairly high percentage of the mid-range malts in there. A thick slice of golden beige foam rests up top. Texture is fine and what lace sticks is pleasing to the eye.

The aroma isn't very APA-like. OTR smells like butter caramel and English hops. Cascade and Fuggles comprise the hop bill, but their usual citrusiness isn't prominent. This should still be pretty tasty beer.

Over The Rhine Ale is a strange sort of brew that doesn't taste like the stated style. Well, maybe a little, but it isn't that close to what we've come to expect from an American pale. Hop bitterness we got (40 IBUs). Good hop flavor we don't got.

The beer is impressively toasted bready and is steely caramel-like. Cascade is still a head scratcher and Fuggles... yeah Fuggles tastes like this. Apricots, oranges and tea leaves compromise the top notes. All in all, the flavor profile is a semi-interesting mess.

There's enough heft for the ABV and the bubbles are a little too spritzy. Time doesn't seem to be helping the latter, but then it wasn't that bad to begin with.

Over The Rhine Ale is not Christian Moerlein's most accomplished ale and is pretty far off the beaten path for the APA style. That would be fine if it tasted good, but I'm struggling to find anything that would bring me back for a second bottle.

3.25/5  rDev -11%

On tap at Arnolds.

Ruby to copper in color with a slight white head.

Some fruitiness and citrus in the nose. White grapefruit is faint.

Taste is caramel sweet with a crisp gala apple esters. Medium bitterness with pine finishing on tongue. Biscuity and bready. Really leans towards an English bitter with some buttery characters.

Tasty and fairly solid but polar opposite of the APA style that I am used to. Still growing on this beer and trying to give the local guys a shot.

3.25/5  rDev -11%

Quite a mix of hops and fruit are noticeable in the nose as I pour this beer. It starts out with a two-finger thick, lightly amber tinged, tan colored head. The beer shows a brilliantly clear, plum-amber color as it sits in my 25cl tulip glass. Bright berry aromatics, a zesty bergamot aroma, some light herbal notes all over a backdrop of biscuit-like malt and lightly browned whole-grain crackers. This has an enjoyable nose, I like, and wasn't expecting, the vibrant hop character.

Sweetish tasting and quite thick and chewy for a beer of this strength. There is a soft tartness to this beer, that lightly accents a lemon & orange zest flavor. Thick malt flavors of concentrated wort, and ample crystal malts make this a bit unbalanced. This is definitely quite a bit thicker than I like in a beer of this strength, though it is not nearly as sweet as a beer of this body might suggest. The hop character provides more of a pine-like flavor than the zesty fruit notes noticed in the aroma. The beer finishes with a herbal, slightly astringent hop bitterness that does a fair job of scrubbing away the over-bearing malt (though not quite completely).

The flavor is a complete surprise after the fresh, vibrant, hoppy nose. I wish the balance of up front hop and supporting malt had been carried through to the flavor. Instead the flavor is just way unbalanced with this way under-attenuated malt character.

3.26/5  rDev -10.7%

Served in a pint glass with minimal head by the time it got to me from the server. There is also not tons of lacing evident as well.

Smell is not exotic, but nice. More crystal and caramel malt than a hoppy note on the nose!

A very cream malt note on the taste as well with some kind of to me at least strange after taste note that I liken to the house yeast @St.Arnold Brewing at home. It is between creaminess and a slight hop note, but I can't put my finger on it!

A good mouthfeel. Very creamy I noted above. This brew tends to be dominated by the malt rather than the hops. Minimal carbonation and in fact no carbonation some 30 minutes after first trying the beer and having it warmed a bit.

The drinkability is good, but not one I could see as a session beer even with its relatively low ABV. If I were drinking APA, I would certainly gravitate tp Sierra Nevada in a heartbeat over this one. Good effort, but not my cup of tea so to speak!

3.27/5  rDev -10.4%

Appearance: bottled beer poured into a glass; I was surprised by the appearance, as I thought I was getting a pale ale -my first impression was that it looked more like an amber lager...a foamy head formed that was not unpleasing...good lacing on the glass as i began to sip the brew
Smell: definite malty aroma -somewhat fruity
Taste: I was surprised by the taste, my initial reaction was that it tasted nothing like a pale ale -again too malty and not enough hops, but did have a nice bitter hoppy aftertaste, but too much malt up front
Mouthfeel: good -carbonation was good,well-balanced- overall, mouthfeel was good, but nothing spectacular
Drinkability: too heavy for a session beer -one or two tops

Overall-I was not really pleased with this beer, as it does not (in my opinion) adhere to the pale ale genre of beer...I have had the Moerlein IPA and it is much better.

3.3/5  rDev -9.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

12 oz. bottle. Pours a pretty clear darker copper color. White foamy head disappears after a minute. No lace.

Darker caramel, and biscuit malt comes to the front. A few fruity notes, mainly citrus. Some earthy and floral hop aroma as well.

SOme caramel and fruity flavors. A bit of an overwhelming earthy flavors comes out, and takes charge. Not as crisp as I would have thought.

Light to medium body. Lower carbonation. Alcohol is hidden well. Not overly exciting, but not bad.

3.3/5  rDev -9.6%

Came with the Beer of the Month Club. Pours a reddish amber color with a 1 finger creamy tan head; faint smell of bread, malt, citrus and a hint of caramel.

Tastes malty, with hops coming through, as well as citrus, caramel, butter, yeast and then a dry clean finish. The overall feel is crisp and light with very mild carbonation and decent lacing; the beer goes down smooth and the dominant malt taste is sweet with a little citrus flavor and spice trailing it towards the end.

A good beer that's very drinkable, but not exciting in the flavor department.

3.3/5  rDev -9.6%

Poured into a pint glass with about an inch of white khaki head. Golden orangish copper color, transparent with slight amount of bobbles. Slightly yeasty spiced smell without almost any of a hop smell, smells, like an amber. Taste like a amber with a slight toasty taste. Medium body wi a solid amount of carbs. This beer does not taste like a pale ale and instead an amber. Alright beer but not overly that fantastic, very different and more like an amber beer with a slight different hop taste.

Christian Moerlein Over-The-Rhine Ale from Christian Moerlein Brewing Company