Christian Moerlein Over-The-Rhine Ale - Christian Moerlein Brewing Company

Ohio, United States

Extra Special / Strong Bitter (ESB) |  6.00% ABV

Availability: Spring

Beer added by: brewdlyhooked13 on 05-05-2007

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Ratings: 285 | Reviews: 121

3.75/5  rDev +2.7%

appearance - Amber color, nice head formed, and maybe a half inch stayed till the end. Left some good lace.

smell - Malt and hop smells here.

taste - Nive balance of malt and hop here, not too hoppy. Some grassy flavors here.

mouthfeel - Medium body.

drinkability - Easy drinking beer, enjoyed. My first by this brewery.

3.75/5  rDev +2.7%

This pours into a glass with a light-reddish copper color, almost like maple syrup, and notably very clear. As I poured it, I immediately sensed the aroma of yeast, similar to when you clean our a carboy after fermenting a batch of homebrew, which I didn't perceive as a bad thing, it smelled good to me. With a more focused sniff, I picked a stronger malty character, which may have been the "yeast" smell that I picked up while pouring it, and also a faint hop aroma, slightly citrus too.

The taste impressed me; I found the beer to be surprisingly well-balanced for a pale ale. The sweetness and slight bitterness seemed to battle back and forth for which dominated my tastebuds as each second passed. I also picked up a little bit of a fruity/lemon flavor and a slight caramel sweetness too.

On the tongue, there was a pleasant mild carbonation, not too overpowering. Overall the beer felt quite light bodied. I found it to be easily drinkable; I could drink this stuff all night without feeling too full.

My only concern is that for a pale ale, I think it should have a stronger hop presence, both in flavor and aroma.

3.77/5  rDev +3.3%

A hazy copper colored body hosts a one inch fuzzy light tan head that fades in minutes leaving almost no lace. Nose is a nice soft mix of sweet malt, marmalade and syrupy maltiness. Thick citrus rind notes enter the mouth with some mineral based maltiness and a healthy dose of woodsy almost piney hops all on first sip. This flavor porfile is very unique as it really shows some complexity and flare. Really dont konw where this falls Rye ale, pale ale, wheat maybe, all in one. Mouthfeel is clean and very pleasant. Would make a very good summer beer. Nicely drinkable.

3.77/5  rDev +3.3%

I had this beer in the Machine Room bar at the Great American Ballpark in Cincinnati. If I can figure out how to add a place I will add the Machine Room as its got a decent beer selection. Back to the beer.

Amber color with a frothy head and some prickle. It has a hoppy nose that is very pleasant and I would say "just about right." Crisp and clean attack with late presenting hops flavor. The mouthfeel is slightly thick but clean. Slightly bitter aftertaste and some faint lemony notes. I would call it a B.

3.78/5  rDev +3.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

12 oz bottle.
Pours a orange amber with a small white head that dissipates quickly.
Malt and hops are the first thing I smell.
Taste is that of malts, some hops but has an interesting flavour of lemon.
Mouth feel is light with minimal bitterness.

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Christian Moerlein Over-The-Rhine Ale from Christian Moerlein Brewing Company