Christian Moerlein Over-The-Rhine Ale - Christian Moerlein Brewing Company

Christian Moerlein Brewing Company visit their website
Ohio, United States

American Pale Ale (APA) |  6.00% ABV

Availability: Spring

(Beer added by: brewdlyhooked13 on 05-05-2007)
« first ‹ prev | 151-175 | 176-200 | 201-225  | next › last »
sleazo

3.98/5  rDev +9.9%

A_Pours a clear brown with hints of red. A nice big foamy cap keeps its shape for a long time and leaves plenty of lace. Very nice looking brew.

S_Slightly sweet honey like smell with a small ammount of piney hops.

T_A little more bitter than I thought from the smell. This is followed by a caramel malt essence. The end is a bit sour, maybe some tropical fruit in the prominent ale yeast. This is almost a bit British Ale-like in the fruity aftertaste.

M_medium bodied with a lively carbonation. Very nice mouthfeel here.

D_This is my first Moerlein offering and I have to say I am impressed. A very tasty brew that is somewhat unique in its English ale like fruity aftertaste but American otherwise.

Thanks to Pimpp for this.

03-25-2008 03:23:16 | More by sleazo
PEBKAC

3.55/5  rDev -1.9%

The first bottle I've seen to actually use the word "quaffable" on its label.

A brown & orange amber. Lots of activity flowing through a well filtered body. Barely a quarter inch of spittle comes up as head.

Nose is very bock-ish. Fruity & fumey with alcohol. Can't help but remind me a lot of "Penndemonium"(Pennsylvania Brewing), even though it is a totally different style. Runts candy steeped in Muscatel, tons of caramel, with a spritz of lime that adds some zest. A little headache inducing.

Tasting it subdues most of my notions of it being a bock; most. Their is syrupy sugar, along with plenty of those little Runt characters. ...but then it gets dirty. A little slippery diacetyl spreads out the middle, & then comes in a big toasty biscuit presence. Finish is significantly hopped up with plenty of bitter rind. The oils from that can't help but stick around. The alcohol wasn't shying away at any point either.

Feel at first was like the beer was being drizzled in, rather then sipped. Once the carbonation & bitters kicked in, things thinned out.

As the first beer of the night, this took a bigger chunk out of my stamina then I thought it would. For 6%, this feels like a much bigger beer.

Thanks to pimpp for letting me get a taste.

03-13-2008 14:25:06 | More by PEBKAC
pacothrash

3.45/5  rDev -4.7%

I was happy to see an ale introduced by Moerlein so I had to try this beer. Poured an amber brownish color with a light color head. The smell is of nice with a little bit of citrus. The taste brings much maltiness and not enough hops for my liking for an APA.

02-13-2008 23:38:58 | More by pacothrash
dsigmon

3.5/5  rDev -3.3%

Bottle thanks to pimpp!

A: very dark amber, great big white fluffy frothy head

S: I get a lot from this beer (not sure why when im usually all stopped up), caramel, dark fruits, little chocolate and hops

T: slightly hoppy with a fair amount of sweet malts. not as much flavor as i would like, i expected more from the smell.

M: medium carbonation and not as oily of a mouthfeel as expected.

D: enjoyable but not what i would want everyday

01-20-2008 02:50:53 | More by dsigmon
auxiliary

Rhode Island

3.73/5  rDev +3%

appearance - Amber color, nice head formed, and maybe a half inch stayed till the end. Left some good lace.

smell - Malt and hop smells here.

taste - Nive balance of malt and hop here, not too hoppy. Some grassy flavors here.

mouthfeel - Medium body.

drinkability - Easy drinking beer, enjoyed. My first by this brewery.

01-15-2008 22:00:35 | More by auxiliary
mikesgroove

South Carolina

12oz bottle poured into a frosty mug only because that was all they had at the bar?

A - Not half bad, poured a very nice deep brown amber and very clear with a good amount of carbonation peaking up through from the bottom of the glass and replenshing a very nice three finger deep head of thick whitish foam colored lace that seemed to stick around for a good couple minutes before finally relenting and dropping down to just a thin film across the top with very nice side glass lacing.

S - The aroma was somewhat light, and that would really be my only complaint, however what was there was very nice and to be honest, suprisngly hoppy with a good amount of citrus hops present from the very start. As it started to warm you could begin to pick out the suble diffrences and the decent amount of malts added to this one. A nice sugary note became apparent and really helped to pull the whole thing together.

T - The flavor was very hoppy which to be honest suprised me a bit as I had not expected this to be a hoppy beer. The first flavors were that of the sweet citrus hops coming through in waves of ornage and tangerine that were delicately balanced against a nice malty back that really started to show through with big cereal grains and a nice touch of caramel towards the end. The finish had a very sharp cutoff to it and was not as dry as I would have hoped.

M - Very nice light bodied ale. This had a very nice carbonation profile to it and it really gave i that extra little something to help it score good here. Rich flavor was not really present but I still give t high marks for not seeming watered down and for being solid all the way until the end.

D - This was an ideal session beer, I could have easily had more of this and did throwing down three at the bar with no issue. Great light flavors with just the right amount of hops and a nice malted back combined with a great carbonation just made this one I could have thrown down all night long/

Overall this was not bad at all. I could have thrown this down all night but I stopped to go upstairs to my room and crack a double bastard. But still this was definite quality and I would pick it up again anyday.

01-07-2008 01:32:00 | More by mikesgroove
jdoncbus

3.85/5  rDev +6.4%

Pours a amber-browish color with some mild haziness. Active carbonation with fluffy, two finger head. Leaves some solid rings as head calms down.

Fruity nose from the hops with a final whiff of toasted malt.

Hits the palate with a very balanced hop, malt flavor; pretty sweet as well. Can make out some brown sugar, orange zest, and caramel malt. Creamy mouthfeel leaves the mouth.

Nice offering from Cincinnat, having grown up in the town its a pleasure to see this old staple come back. A well-rounded beer and would gladly enjoy again; would a good session choice.

12-24-2007 04:22:54 | More by jdoncbus
pwoods

4.15/5  rDev +14.6%

12oz. brown bottled poured into a pint.

A: Deep amber pour that's on the brownish side. 1 1/2 fingers of off white head with good retention. Big ring of lace at the top and just little bits of patching throughout.

S: Sweet malty body that's spotted with deep rustic grains. A noticeable hop character that's slightly acidic. Good balance between the two.

T/M: The balance continues in the taste. Both a nice hop punch with mild bitterness and a hardy malt backbone. Malts are deep and rich with a butter taste and texture. Toward the end, the malts sweeten just a touch.

D: Great tasting and very sessionable. This is one of my go-to beers and I love bringing this to poker games and having other want to try it.

11-19-2007 02:58:37 | More by pwoods
NJpadreFan

3.65/5  rDev +0.8%

Christian Moerlein- OTR Ale

Thanks to Pimpp for this 1.

A- A ruddy brown with a HUGE frothy/ creamy head. The head lasted almost the entire beer. Messy lacing down half the glass.
S- Strong pine hops with a sweet candy butterrum/ butter scotch/ toffee malt.
T- Green hops, pine needles, toffee/ caramel malt and licorice.
M- Tart with an oily pine finish. Slighty sweet and cloying in the end.

Overall- Like candy, I could drink and drink this til I got sick.

11-10-2007 19:32:00 | More by NJpadreFan
mobyfann

4.3/5  rDev +18.8%

Paid $1.60 for a single...

The beer pours a dark amber colored base, a moderate sized head, excellent retention, and a nice wavy lacing on the glass at the beginning, not so much at the end! The aroma is a multitude of sweet malts, butterscotch, and lemony hops. Nice balance but a rather faint smell when searching for "the goods".

The taste is well-balanced, a bit dry, tingles on the tongue, but with a great aftertaste. The beer is a prime example of what is drinkable in an APA.

Final Thought: This to me was a hybrid APA-doppelbock. The balance of malts and hops were about equal and very complementary, a fantastic brew!

10-30-2007 03:05:56 | More by mobyfann
TheManiacalOne

Rhode Island

4.1/5  rDev +13.3%

Acquired from nlmartin courtesy of the Birthday Club 2, so a big "Thank you" goes out to him. Poured from a 12oz. bottle into a US tumbler pint glass.

A: The beer is a light brown color with a thin off-white head that fades quickly and leaves a thin lace on the glass.

S: The aroma is of caramelized malt, floral hops and fruity citrus.

T: The taste is pretty well-balanced with sweet flavors of caramel and citrus along with a decent burst of hops bitterness. The malt character is on-target for the style, not too heavy but not too thin either. The after-taste slightly sweet and slightly hoppy.

M: Smooth and very crisp, medium body, medium carbonation, clean and dry finish.

D: Tasty, goes down very easily, not too filling, good kick, nice representation of style, this is a beer that would be good to drink for the duration of an evening. I could certainly drink several of these.

10-11-2007 02:54:36 | More by TheManiacalOne
cameraman

Kentucky

3.05/5  rDev -15.7%

A copper color with an off white head that is about a quater inch high, but quickly dissolves away. Carbonation is strongly visible in the glass. The sweet scent of malt comes out, along with bread and fruity esters at the end. That sweetness comes out in the flavor it stays with you till almost the very end, when when a mild smck of bitterness crosses the palate. The medium bodied feel starts at the front of each taste, but thins out as it reaches the back of the palate. A strong offering, not what I was expecting from this brewery. Solid flavor, make this a good go to beer when nothing can be found, plus a good cross over beer to get macro drinkers to try.

10-09-2007 03:10:48 | More by cameraman
jkrich

Indiana

3.88/5  rDev +7.2%

12 oz. bottle with no freshness date found. Back label gives some history about the beer style in early "Over the Rhine" Cincinnati. Label also indicates brewed in Wilkes-Barre. PA.

Ale pours a deep clear, redish, copper color with slightly off-white head with minimal lacing.

Open opening bottle, could smell spicy hops of Cascade and Fuggles.

This is a malt accented ale with a delicious hop flavor rounding out the flavor. This is more in the style of an ESB than a pale ale.
There is substantial creamy mouthful with some carbonation. Taste suffers a little after ale warms - sweet, buttery taste.

This certainly more complex and full-bodied than I thought it would be. I keep thinking I am drinking a quality, more accented ESB.

09-16-2007 23:08:27 | More by jkrich
kellyst

4.08/5  rDev +12.7%

A: Nice, full white head, coppery-orange hue.

S: Sweet malt aroma. Light hop on the nose with a hint of banana.

T: Light-sweet malt flavor. Kind of fruity. Mild bitterness. I think their blending American and English hops in this one: I’m picking up on some earthy-spice hops and citrusy at the same time.

D: Very high.

Overall I am really impressed by this ale. Wonderful job, and an excellent value at $5.99 a 6-pack.

08-29-2007 18:52:35 | More by kellyst
BEERchitect

Kentucky

Would never have put this beer in the Pale Ale catagory, but this won't keep me from rating this beer highly; it a good beer. The pour brings a typical Pale Ale look, with a more tightyly knit carbonation; promising creaminess and maltyness. The smells bring out a lot of soft malt aromas with some English hops. Flavor prove that maltiness prevails, but with a crisp (Northern Brewer) hop flavor, which proved to be very fresh and palate cleansing. The beer's flavor never reached compexity, but stays pure, clean, and crisp. Nothing to fault here. Only a mild astringency could play a part in lower ratings. Agreed that this beer resembles ESB proportions and character, this may C. M.'s best brew. A great counterpart to a lot of the Oktoberfest beers comming up. I'll certainly have my share.

08-11-2007 05:09:15 | More by BEERchitect
nlmartin

4.08/5  rDev +12.7%

Ah Moelein a Cincinnati tradition. I remember my uncles friend poking fun at him for drinking the high class beer. The beer was served in a pint glass.

Appearance: The beer pours a copper / amber coloration. The head is a creamy coloration. The head has awesome retention and leaves good lacing.

Smell: The beer has a very floral grassy hoppy note. The hops combine well with the suggestion of caramel malt. Very nicely balanced.

Taste: This is the money shot for any beer. The beer delivers up a palate pleasing grassy / vaguely citrus flavor. The beer has a very well balanced caramel malt character. Dam good in short.

Mouthfeel / Drinkability: The beer has a very good medium body. The beer has full flavors and doesnt punk out. This beer was very easy to drink and I could see killing a sixer of this no problem. A dam fine brew from a resurgent Moerlein.

07-28-2007 12:31:07 | More by nlmartin
bluejacket74

4.53/5  rDev +25.1%

12 ounce bottle, bought from Belmont Party Supply, Dayton, OH. Served in a pint glass, the beer pours an amber/copper color with a thick one inch off-white head. Head retention and lacing are both very good. A nice aroma, mostly grassy/floral hops with a bit of caramel and sweet malt. It tastes the same way to me, but there's more of a balance between the hops and malt in the taste (not that I'm complaining). Good, full flavor. Mouthfeel is full, rich and smooth. Drinkability is pretty good too, it's very easy to drink and would be a great session beer. This is definitely one of the best beers I've had lately. If you're looking for a good, drinkable APA with good balance, Christian Moerlein's Over-The-Rhine Ale is a great choice.

07-07-2007 01:09:30 | More by bluejacket74
TheBierBand

4.47/5  rDev +23.5%

OK... so I picked up a sixer of this to try. My previous review was for the on-tap in a plastic cup serving at a local bar. Now, I review this beer in my own controlled environment.

So I cracked the bottle open and poured it into my pint glass to produce a nice 1" head of dense off-white foam over a rich coppery/amber liquid.

The aroma is very nice! More hoppy than malty. A nice whiff.

The taste.... WELL, here is where this beer will blow your doors off. A very RICH taste with good balance of floral hops and rich roasted malt. The grapefruit-rind taste from the hops stays with you but it's well balanced.

Mouthfeel: Again very nice. Perfect carbonation level, nice rich feel... feels heavier... I call it ROBUST.

Drinkability: This is on the short list for constant supply in my fridge. This is my new GO-TO beer.

07-06-2007 16:32:32 | More by TheBierBand
chilidog

4.5/5  rDev +24.3%

Wow! I was so pleased to get my hands on this brew. I tried to order it but the don't distribute it this far north. So close,yet so far away. I found it in Sidney, Kroger, and they don't seem to carry the line at that location as far as I could tell, yet. A good find indeed!

I heard the brewers on Cinci 700 radio interviewed the day before its release. How they tried to brew this with the exact ingredients as they did in1853. Its nice to see they hit it right.

It poured a full bodied amber. Tanny head that was full, maintained and laced well. Carbonation was on to balance nicely.

The aroma was malted sweetness with a hop grain on the nose.

The taste hits home. Malts, caramel and toffee are balanced well with the hops that carry the brew and linger in taste.

The mouthfeel is smooth. and the drinkability is awesome. Easy, smooth, great with food

Good job CM on the OTR! Get some if you can.

06-26-2007 01:10:49 | More by chilidog
Gator1107

4.93/5  rDev +36.2%

What a wonderful suprise I had when I opened this beer for the first time. The aroma was perfect and it poured very well with a thin head. I love drinking ales, and I really loved drinking this one. The taste was so smooth, a nice balance. A treat I hope all will be able to enjoy.

06-22-2007 21:39:50 | More by Gator1107
becktone

4.03/5  rDev +11.3%

Eye: Looks great. Nice creamy long lasting head, with excellent retention, size, and lacing. Color is medium brown with a bit of red to lighten it up-darker copper. Carbonation bubbles look small and refined as they float to the top.

Nose: Huge malt aroma in this brew. Lots of caramel, toffee, and sweet aromas coming through, little bit of diacetyl. Not much hops to the aroma. Smells good but for an APA was expecting a bit more hops.

Tongue: Nice caramel and toffee tones in this brew, sweet malts also come through quite nicely. Hops balance the sweet malts and toffee and caramel really well. With APA's one usually expects something a bit on the hoppier side, this seems to be too well balanced to me. However, it still is a great brew that fits the category.

Mouthfeel and Drinkability: Creamy and full bodied, they don't get much better than this. Carbonation is in check, lower levels with finer bubbles don't get in the way of the flavor and feel of this brew. This is a brew I'd definitely buy again, however, I'm always looking for something new so it might be awhile.

05-31-2007 02:04:16 | More by becktone
schwabpg

4.63/5  rDev +27.9%

I picked up and split with my brother a 6 of this the weekend after it was released, and now I'm wishing I'd gotten another 6. Not quite as hoppy, but a little maltier and considerably darker than I imagined it would be, it's probably my new favorite pale ale. A nice addition to the Christian Moerlein line.

05-12-2007 02:24:48 | More by schwabpg
pumarocks

4.45/5  rDev +22.9%

I had the chance to try this one out during the official first tapping at the make-shift brewpub Christian Moerlein set up at Findley Market. This was a very tasty adult beverage! It was very malty in my opinion and that is a good thing. It has a nice aroma and a lasting aftertaste. My wife did not like it much but what does she know abour beer anyway hehe. Overall, a welcome beer to the Christian Moerlein stable.

05-07-2007 23:32:15 | More by pumarocks
brewdlyhooked13

4.4/5  rDev +21.5%

Appearance - clear orange/amber pour, two fingers of off-white foam, some good stick to it that provides scattered lacing across the glass.

Aroma - caramel, slight ESB bend. Nice whiff of floral hoppiness, a very nice pale ale aroma. Fades somewhat after setting up, but the mix is very nice.

Taste - I notice some diacetyl, English malt character up front. Some roastiness ensues, followed by some floral hoppiness, tasty and full-bodied but not overdone. Good balance here, representing both the British style pale on the malt side and the American influence on the hop side. Really could not have shown off much more of both styles in the same beer. Finishes with some late roastiness, dare I say a mellow alcohol warmth, and a bare hint of pine and grapefruit, just enough to draw you into that next sip.

Mouthfeel - smooth with some mild creaminess. Modestly carbonated, a decent residual for a pale ale.

Drinkability - a fine-flavored brew with plenty of session potential. Went very well with some Chipotle chow, chips & salsa on Cinco de Mayo. Impressive offering from CM, their 'craftiest' beer yet, the folks at Oktoberfest will love this in the fall.

05-05-2007 19:07:06 | More by brewdlyhooked13