Christian Moerlein Original Lager - Christian Moerlein Brewing Company

good

Christian Moerlein Brewing Company visit their website
Ohio, United States

Vienna Lager |  ABV ?

It was remade and renamed Select Lager and then completely discontinued and replaced with the Lagerhouse Helles.

(Beer added by: BeerBeing on 10-13-2007)
« first ‹ prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | next › last »
Reviews by Johncnh:
3.75/5  rDev +3.6%

3.9/5  rDev +7.7%

Dark yellow color with a white head that retains OK and leaves some decent lacing. Aromas of biscuits, lightly toasted malt, and caramel. Sweet caramel and biscuit flavors; finish is fairly clean, just a touch of hops. Medium carbonation and medium bodied. Pretty good beer, I could probably spend a session drinking this. Thanks to dsigmon for the sample!

Christian Moerlein- Original Lager

Thanks to Pimpp for this 1.

A- Clear light copper brown with a moderate sticky head and millions of little bubbles rising to the top.
S- Toasted caramel malt. Butter scotch.
T- Buttery toasted biscuits and caramel malt.
M- Buttery and sweet up front with a nice dry hop finish.

Overall- I'm the first to review this beer?! Regardless, awesome beer, and I'm not a fan of lagers other than cans of Yuengling stuffed in my golfbag on a hot July day. This was, by far from what I can recall, my favorite lager?! With Ohio only a state away I hope I can find some more of this.

3.5/5  rDev -3.3%

Upon drinking this beer, my girlfriend said, "I do not love this beer" and passed it to me. A friend had actually brought a sixer of it from Cin City, so I'd already had a few and am happily engaged in finishing it right now.

Like my girlfriend, though, I must say I do not love this beer. There is a strong tutti-frutti yeast presence, similar to Heinekin, that does not sit well with me in this lager. The malt taste is thin and uninspired -- it has a nice dry pull on it, but there is also a light sulfurous presence that I don't much care for. But overall the beer's problem is a lack of flavor. It is very light tasting, nothing is really there to like or dislike.

It isn't a bad beer, it is simply incredibly mediocre.

3.83/5  rDev +5.8%

Poured out into my dear, dear, Ommegang chalice with an inch of delicate off-white head & very honey-esq/gold bullion-colored body. The activity below is just intense. Bubbles flying in all directions, slamming hard into the surface, creating a barely noticeable ripple effect. What little foam there was after settling just hugs the sides & throws up a white veil after every sip.

Nose is of peppery & floral hops, making sure the coast is clear for all the doughy, crusty, bready malt notes. Slight fumes & some ashy yeast sniffle about.

Taste is much more subtle. The hops are just barely there. There is a light mineral quality between the slightly grassy/slightly metallic hop character & the soft/mushy dough center of the beer. Some ashy dryness on the end & a subtle nutty acorn-ish sweetness. Super low-key.

Carbonation is low, but the body feels constantly aerated, even fluffy. On the drier side of things, with no detectable alcohol once you finally dive in & taste it. Minimal crispness keeps it from being perfectly sessionable, but it still gets a good score there.

Thanks to Pimpp for the taste. Basically a Moerlein distributor at this point with all the thank you's written in every other review. I wonder what his basement looks like. :P

4.5/5  rDev +24.3%

What really struck me about this beer was the caramel malt presence. For a lager I was expecting american lager style but I was more than pleasantly surprised.
Poured amber red with a thick, frothy 3 finger head that stayed around almost the entire drink.
Smelled of caramel, biscuit, light hops. Sweet nectar.
Tasted heavily of carmalized malt, nice light lager malt in the back with a great balance from the hops. Great mouthfeel from heavy carbonation, and a smooth, crisp body.
This would be a great spring afternoon lager after yardwork.
Mmmm that sounds good.

Oh and this bottle was given to me by an actual Moerlin family member who I work with here in Seattle. So the little bottle took quite the trip to get to my lips!

3.7/5  rDev +2.2%

appearance - Copper gold color here. Has a small head, some lace, but nothing that sticks.

smell - Malts and butterscotch.

taste - Malts, amd caramel, not much going on, not hoppy.

mouthfeel - Medium body.

drinkability - Easy drinking beer,not bad, i don't think it was great. Look at the top 10 Vienna Lagers. I have had 2 of the top 10. I am comparing this to them. This was ok.

3.93/5  rDev +8.6%

12oz bottle poured into a pilsner glass
No born on date or other distinguishing numbers

Note: I'd venture to say this is no longer retired, as I received it in a beer of the month club.

A: Pours a translucent golden yellow with tons of carbonation bubbles and 1.5 fingers width of slightly off white head.  Decent retention before it settles down to a thin film and outer ring which remains throughout the drink.  Leaves very slight spotty lacing.

S: A little bit of spice, some caramel malts, sweet bread, and significant grassy notes.  Not a ton going on but rather pleasant.

T: Follows the nose.  Spice upfront followed by sweet malts.  A slight herbal hop character and very mild bitterness on the finish. Again, not a ton going on but enjoyable.

M/D: Medium body, high carbonation, slightly drying finish.  Decent drinkability.

O: Overall a pretty good beer.  I'm not a huge fan of the style, I generally find the basic lagers to be rather blah, but this one was quite good.  I could see it being a good selection if you are looking for a lighter beer that still maintains a decent flavor profile.  I'd recommend this.

3.38/5  rDev -6.6%

This golden beer looks nice in the glass with a modest head and decent lacing. On the nose and palate, however, it falls a bit short of my favorite Vienna lagers. The nose is slightly malty and clean, but nothing special. Similarly, the taste is understated malty with a clean finish having little in the way of a hop bite. Decent texture and good overall drinkability round out a nice less-than-exciting beer.

4.03/5  rDev +11.3%

Eye: This one is a bit lighter in color than I expected, I thought it would be a bit darker. However, this one is a darker shade of gold with copper highlights. Head retention is alright, lacing seems pretty thin as well, texture of head is hard to describe, not quite creamy and definitely not rocky. I am suddenly reminded of how algae sits on water when I see this head, texture of this is nearly the same, yet thicker..I'm not talking about the thick and bubbly stuff, the thin sheet of algae.

Nose: Rich and toasty to the nose, great warm malty body. Definitely some caramel aromas as well as some diacetyl, creating a background butterscotch aroma. Overall aroma is potent, going back for repeated sniffs and it hits me just the same as it did before.

Tongue: Great malty flavors in this brew. Lots of rich malt flavor, little bit of caramel, hints of nuttiness, warmth, sweetness. No hop flavor here, just enough hops to give some balance to the brew. Quite clean as well.

Mouthfeel and Drinkability: This beer is easy to drink goes down very smooth and is easy to drink, I can see this being a great session brew. This will be one that I'll always be coming back to, I can see myself purchasing this one very soon in the near future. Medium bodied in the mouth with higher carbonation than I expected, yet at the same time it compliments the brew, light in color, medium light in body, and higher carbonation combine to make a good feeling beer.

3.39/5  rDev -6.4%
look: 3 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

I poured this beer into my tumbler at 45 degrees expecting great things since I had one from them earlier called the Emancipator that was a GREAT beer. Anyway this one was gold in color and smelled like boiled eggs for some reason. The head it poured was gone real fast. Beyond all that though the beer was pretty good tasting actually. I would drink it again.

3.75/5  rDev +3.6%

3.8/5  rDev +5%

I got this in a trade with zapata. Thanks Ben!

It pours a clear light orange with a small head of foam that quickly settled down to a fine broken layer.

The smell is on the sweet side with notes of biscuit and caramel but I also get a bit of citrus.

The taste is of grain, roasted malt, some caramel, some biscuit, and a slight bit of citrus bitterness. Interesting flavours and I feel it's pretty true to the style.

Lightish mouthfeel and the carbonation is medium, it finishes on the bitter with a slightly tart side. Pretty good stuff and it's an easy drinker.

3.9/5  rDev +7.7%

This Cincinnati, Ohio brewer boasts on the bottle "First American Beer to pass the Reinheitsgebot Purity Law of 1516". Also states it is "handcrafted in small batches" and Estabished 1853.
That would make it not only one of the United States' oldest existing breweries, but its oldest existing craft brewery. Let's see how that translates into quality...

Pours an immense, lasting head from 12oz bottle. Dark golden color, a shade lighter than most vienna lagers I've tried.
Smells of rich malts and a light breadiness.
Very clean, toasted malty flavor with a caramel overtone. The hoppiness is not overstated, but there is enough to keep it balanced. Other than the malt & hop characters, not many other discernable flavors, but what is there is enough. Leaves a sweet but not sugary taste on the palate.
The hoppiness bounces around in the mouth and the crispness leaves a very satisfying touch.
All in all, a very drinkable lager which has enough character to make me want another, but smooth & refreshing enough to please a macro lager drinker. I wish, with its history, more people knew about this beer. And at $5.99 a sixer, it's a very welcome addition to my rotation.

2.75/5  rDev -24%

3.53/5  rDev -2.5%

12 oz. bottle, a six-pack was on sale for only $1.99, at my local BevMo, so I thought I might try this one out, haven't had a lot of Vienna lagers, so here goes nothing,

A: Pours a light orange, with an average white head, good retention, no lacing, pretty average.

S: Light bitter malt, and some phenolic tendencies come out as well, but I think it's just the quality of the malt though.

T: Caramel malt predominately, with floral hops and a bit of honey.

M: Crisp, biting carbonation, and a good body.

D: A nice little beer, comparable to Sam Adams, for the sale price it's phenomenal.

3.24/5  rDev -10.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

Pours a dark clear golden yellow with a one finger frothy white head that dissipates into a thick ring with moderate lacing.

Aroma of sweet malts, biscuit and hints of spice.

Taste starts with a slight citrus bitterness, smooths out with sweet light malt, a very slight hop ending.

Mouth Feel was medium leaning light body, moderate carbonation, smooth with a slight crispness.

Overall an average refreshing beer, not my favorite style, a good yard work beer.

« first ‹ prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | next › last »