Christian Moerlein Christkindl Winter Warmer - Christian Moerlein Brewing Company

Christian Moerlein Christkindl Winter WarmerChristian Moerlein Christkindl Winter Warmer

Christian Moerlein Brewing Company visit their website
Ohio, United States

Winter Warmer |  6.95% ABV

(Beer added by: pwoods on 11-13-2007)

markwillus, Nov 21, 2011

Muddybumpers, Dec 03, 2011
4.75/5  rDev +26.3%

carteravebrew, Dec 25, 2013
4.55/5  rDev +21%

My dad picked my up a 6-pack on his way through Cincy and now I am feeling in need of more. I met the brewmaster for Moerlein earlier this year at their Marzen fest and he gave some background on this beer. He specifically said there would be no spices added and this beer was going to derive it's flavor from the malt. With that in mind, I think this beer is one of the exceptional winter beers out this season. It tastes like there is some additions to it, almost a bit of a caramel flavor. Mouthfeel is a little oily, definitely hearty. ABV is a bit lower then one expects of winter beers. All in all I like this beer a lot and would definitely recommend it to anyone in the Cincinnati area.

Generik420, Dec 07, 2007

BFC84, Jul 08, 2012
4.5/5  rDev +19.7%

Paid $19.99 for a case at Jungle Jim's...

The beer pours a bubbly amber colored base with a 1/2" white head, excellent head retention and nice lacing effects on the glass. The aroma is a well-blended mix of sweet caramel malts, floral hops and a touch cardamom.

The taste is very smooth and tasty. Hops are noticeable first with a rebound in lemons and anise with a sweet and malty finish, excellent combination. Very smooth in the mouth and at any abv it's a clear winner of a brew.

Final Thought: This beer rocks the house, even four months after it was picked up last fall. Also, the best CM brew known to date with OTR and Hefeweizen at a close second.

mobyfann, Mar 01, 2009

beerme626, Jan 22, 2014

EddieJoe, Mar 03, 2012
4.47/5  rDev +18.9%

I just picked up a sixer from Kroger and I have to say I am very impressed with this seasonal from the boys at Moerlein. First I will say the package jumped of the shelf and said buy me. I always enjoy the artwork and interesting story that Moerlein tells. This was no exception.

The first thing I noticed after I opened Christkindl is the aroma. It has a very appealing smell. You pick up a touch of holiday spice and a little bit of a chocolate coming through.

The appearance is a redish brown. The head was tight and left a decent lace on the glass.

The taste has a little bit of hops up front that really implies the presence of holiday spices. It has a very balanced malt body that finishes with a very subtle dark chocolate flavor.

I noticed this was more evident as the beer was exposed to air. This is pretty common for a very I mean very fresh beer. The hops begin to mellow and let the malt flavors come through.

I really enjoyed this Winter Warmer. It lived up to the hype and I feel it is only going to get better as it ages, that is if it has a chance. A beer that looks and tastes this good is going to fly off the shelf. I would get it while it lasts.

By the way check out an article on Greg Hardman the owner of Christian Moerlein. He is the cover story in the Nov-Dec issue of Cincinnati Gentlemen magazine on the shelves right now. Its a pretty good read and makes you want to support your local brewer.

icapturpix, Nov 17, 2007
4.43/5  rDev +17.8%

Appearance is a clear amber color, what starts as a fluffy head dissipates to a thin lacing, (unfortunately pretty standard of Moerlein). Smells somewhat malty and spicy, very inviting. Taste is right on for what I want in a winter beer, spicy and sweet. Finishes with almost a pretzel like aftertaste. Mouthfeel is great, perfect amount of carbonation to leave your tongue wanting more. Drinkability, all day long son.

cincibrew, Jun 07, 2010
4.35/5  rDev +15.7%

A: Pours a nice dark reddish brown into the glass and leaves a huge head that leads to a beautiful lace on the glass. Impressive.

S: Smell is honey, nutmeg, clover, and some faint citrus.

T: The taste has some sweet bitterness along with honey and some spiciness in the backend.

M: Smooth and creamy. Very good.

D: I would have to say this is in the top 3 for winter warmers. Another fantastic offering from Moerlein. I still think that 12 dogs of xmas is my favorite thus far and that beer doesn't show as well as it should in the ratings here.

beerman207, Dec 06, 2009
4.33/5  rDev +15.2%

Reviewed from notes, 12 oz bottle poured into tulip, sixer holiday gift from old friend Mike in Cincy! Thanks, dude!

Had collected quite a number of Christmas / winter warmer style beers over the holidays, and took lots of review notes....

Overall I really liked this one, very easy drinking, make me reminince a bit as I used to get Christian Moerlein beer in my area a lot years ago, but not now for some reason!

Appearance is good, nice clear ruby brown, small head and some lacing, not bad....

Smell is very sweetly malty up front, small bit of spices lingering, not overwhelming at all, nice rep. of this style....

Taste is great, goes down easy, not too heavy like many winter warmers....bready toasted malt and just a background of hops and spices....taste is more complex upon letting this beer warm a little...nicely balanced.

Mouthfeel is good also, carbonation is spot on, clean and crisp, could consume more than one of these at a setting easily...wish I had more!

Overall, a nice holiday beer from yet another Ohio beer, with storied history from the brewery!
Cheers...

BeerVikingSailor, Feb 18, 2010
4.25/5  rDev +13%

Deep amber color with a creamy off white, one-finger head. Aroma is of Chocolate sweetness and a slight spice. Taste is complex but not overbearing. It hides the ABV quite well and is a pleasure to drink.

nortgoseshane, Oct 22, 2014

TheLittleKing, Sep 17, 2014

BennettBeerGuy, Oct 16, 2014

Extrajoker00, Jan 01, 2012
4.25/5  rDev +13%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Pours a dark amber color with two fingers of head. Spice smell is not really present. Taste is smooth and sweat with a great hops after taste. Alcohol taste can not be detected but this is a fairly strong beer.

Overall I would definitively recommend this beer. An excellent addition two our winter selections.

mfigueroa713, Dec 09, 2011
4.25/5  rDev +13%

Picked up a bottle of this from last years batch, it held up very well. Carbonation was perfect. I was surprised at how dark the beer presented when poured into a wide globe glass. The nose on this beer gives is caramel sweetness upfront with a slight spice note on the finish. Also picked up a chocolate note as it warmed. The taste blew me away. Toasted malt forward with caramel sweetness upfront, rounding through chocolate notes and finishing with a dry spice leaving me thirsty for more. Great beer from a great brewery, give this one a try.

TheyCallMeYukon, Sep 04, 2014

durwood64, Apr 08, 2012
4.2/5  rDev +11.7%

Bought in a mixed-six at River's Bend in Lebanon to see if I'd like it enough to buy a 6-pack. Poured a reddish-amber with a nice foamy head. It smells great, but not what I expected from a "Christmas Ale." It had a very fresh hop/malt aroma. Slight chocolate and holiday spice flavors with a very nice hop finish. I was surprised. Very drinkable and no alcohol bite; I would personally like to see a little more ABV in a winter beer.

telefrog, Nov 28, 2007
4.2/5  rDev +11.7%

Eye: I can't get over the way that this brew looks. This is one of the greatest looking beers I've ever taken a look at. Color is mahogany and is clear. Head is a dirty white and has excellent appearance at two fingers. It is a very creamy and sexy looking head. This is pure eye candy. I don't think that this could be improved any more.

Nose: Sweet rich malty aromas. I also get some toasty and warm malt aromas.Hops come through with a citrus character. This beer looks as if it is going to hold its own.

Tongue: Really nice well balanced flavor from Moerlien. Alcohol isn't as warming as I would like, kinda takes the fun out of a winter warmer, but hey, can't win em all. Malt flavor is warm, toasty and sweet. Some alcohol notes come through to help balance the brew, but not enough to warm as mentioned before. Also pick up some fruity flavors, subdued but in enough abundance to be noticed. Citrus hop flavors also add quite a bit to the dimension of this brew as well as help to balance the flavors out.

Mouthfeel and Drinkabiliy: This brew has a medium body with just the right amount of carbonation. Finish is semi-dry and has no warming sensation usually associated with the style. This is a very drinkable beer, I think that I just might pickup another sixer of this during this season. It is something that is easy to drink, and something that I wouldn't be opposed to drinking all night long. Another great offering from Christian Moerlein.

becktone, Dec 06, 2007
4.13/5  rDev +9.8%

hehehe... pimpp... ya beat me by a couple days!.... you're right on top of all things Cincinnati!

I got a sixer of this at the Kroger grocery store in Amelia. I cracked into the 12 oz brown bottle and poured into a pint glass. The off white head rose up to a perfect 1" of pillowy foam. The beer has a deep amber color with a hint of red.

The aroma is rather slight but I could pick up a toasted malt and some sweetness like caramel or chocolate....or both.

The Taste: Let me explain that my first Winter Warmer of the season was Harpoon Winter Warmer. All that I could taste with that one was cinnamon and nutmeg fighting for dominance.... I didn't like it. BUT, Christan Moerlein Christkindl Winter Warmer is what a Winter Warmer should be.... excellent. Sweet chocolate malty taste with a SLIGHT spicy back-up and a clean ever-so-slight hop finish.

Mouthfeel: Smooth and creamy.... I would say just a touch under robust. appropriate carbonation.

Drinkability: I will try some other Winter Warmers.... but this one will be kept in constant supply in my beer fridge.... I would be proud to serve this to my discerning holiday guests. Cincinnati BA's - Get ot there and support your local brewer and pick yourself up some of this.

TheBierBand, Nov 15, 2007
4.1/5  rDev +9%

Pours a dark amber in color with a nice inch of frothy head. Head quickly recedes to a ring around the top of the glass. Smell is spice and malty. There is a definite "winter" scent in this beer. Almost a mint and pine smell. Smells refreshing. Taste is more hops than I was expecting. This is a good beer. Nice crisp mouthfeel. Just may be my favorite offering from Moerlein.

FtownThrowDown, Oct 02, 2008
4.08/5  rDev +8.5%

A: Pours an amber color into my snifter. About a one finger head.
S: Very malty, some spice and a hint of chocolate. The hops and alcohol are hidden well.
T: Everything blends perfectly. The sweet malts and hops play off each other perfectly and allow the spice and chocolate to come through. Little to no boozy flavor or alcohol burn that is associated with this style of beer.
M: Medium carbonation, not too heavy.
D: Outstanding. Generally this style of beer is a one and done and something to savor. This beer is certainly something to savor, but you could have a few easily.

Infamous7100, Oct 27, 2009
4.03/5  rDev +7.2%

A fairly standard, yet solid winter warmer. Pours a medium brown color with ruby highlights. Allows a large froathy head to rise above the glass, and hangs on for nice lacing. The maltiness dominates the brew, landing somewhere between Bock complex toasted malts and an Amber caramel sweetness. Throw in some Brown Ale nuttiness and hint of cocoa and this beer begins to show some good, complex flavors. Spicy, pine-ey hops give the beer a fresh, minty quality and well as a crisp, resin taste that keeps the malts from becoming over-bearing. Medium weighted, but bigger on flavor. The beer is not likely to have any additional spices --just letting the hops do it all. Finishes with a balanced note of toasted malts and refreshing hops. Truely what is expected from the style.

BEERchitect, Dec 26, 2007
Christian Moerlein Christkindl Winter Warmer from Christian Moerlein Brewing Company