Already subscribe? to manage your subscription.

Christian Moerlein Christkindl Winter Warmer - Christian Moerlein Brewing Company

Christian Moerlein Christkindl Winter WarmerChristian Moerlein Christkindl Winter Warmer

Christian Moerlein Brewing Company visit their website
Ohio, United States

Winter Warmer |  6.95% ABV

Beer added by: pwoods on 11-13-2007

first ← prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | nextlast
4.53/5  rDev +19.2%

My dad picked my up a 6-pack on his way through Cincy and now I am feeling in need of more. I met the brewmaster for Moerlein earlier this year at their Marzen fest and he gave some background on this beer. He specifically said there would be no spices added and this beer was going to derive it's flavor from the malt. With that in mind, I think this beer is one of the exceptional winter beers out this season. It tastes like there is some additions to it, almost a bit of a caramel flavor. Mouthfeel is a little oily, definitely hearty. ABV is a bit lower then one expects of winter beers. All in all I like this beer a lot and would definitely recommend it to anyone in the Cincinnati area. (694 characters)

4.5/5  rDev +18.4%

Paid $19.99 for a case at Jungle Jim's...

The beer pours a bubbly amber colored base with a 1/2" white head, excellent head retention and nice lacing effects on the glass. The aroma is a well-blended mix of sweet caramel malts, floral hops and a touch cardamom.

The taste is very smooth and tasty. Hops are noticeable first with a rebound in lemons and anise with a sweet and malty finish, excellent combination. Very smooth in the mouth and at any abv it's a clear winner of a brew.

Final Thought: This beer rocks the house, even four months after it was picked up last fall. Also, the best CM brew known to date with OTR and Hefeweizen at a close second. (659 characters)

4.48/5  rDev +17.9%

I just picked up a sixer from Kroger and I have to say I am very impressed with this seasonal from the boys at Moerlein. First I will say the package jumped of the shelf and said buy me. I always enjoy the artwork and interesting story that Moerlein tells. This was no exception.

The first thing I noticed after I opened Christkindl is the aroma. It has a very appealing smell. You pick up a touch of holiday spice and a little bit of a chocolate coming through.

The appearance is a redish brown. The head was tight and left a decent lace on the glass.

The taste has a little bit of hops up front that really implies the presence of holiday spices. It has a very balanced malt body that finishes with a very subtle dark chocolate flavor.

I noticed this was more evident as the beer was exposed to air. This is pretty common for a very I mean very fresh beer. The hops begin to mellow and let the malt flavors come through.

I really enjoyed this Winter Warmer. It lived up to the hype and I feel it is only going to get better as it ages, that is if it has a chance. A beer that looks and tastes this good is going to fly off the shelf. I would get it while it lasts.

By the way check out an article on Greg Hardman the owner of Christian Moerlein. He is the cover story in the Nov-Dec issue of Cincinnati Gentlemen magazine on the shelves right now. Its a pretty good read and makes you want to support your local brewer. (1,428 characters)

4.4/5  rDev +15.8%

Appearance is a clear amber color, what starts as a fluffy head dissipates to a thin lacing, (unfortunately pretty standard of Moerlein). Smells somewhat malty and spicy, very inviting. Taste is right on for what I want in a winter beer, spicy and sweet. Finishes with almost a pretzel like aftertaste. Mouthfeel is great, perfect amount of carbonation to leave your tongue wanting more. Drinkability, all day long son. (419 characters)

4.33/5  rDev +13.9%

A: Pours a nice dark reddish brown into the glass and leaves a huge head that leads to a beautiful lace on the glass. Impressive.

S: Smell is honey, nutmeg, clover, and some faint citrus.

T: The taste has some sweet bitterness along with honey and some spiciness in the backend.

M: Smooth and creamy. Very good.

D: I would have to say this is in the top 3 for winter warmers. Another fantastic offering from Moerlein. I still think that 12 dogs of xmas is my favorite thus far and that beer doesn't show as well as it should in the ratings here. (551 characters)

4.3/5  rDev +13.2%

Reviewed from notes, 12 oz bottle poured into tulip, sixer holiday gift from old friend Mike in Cincy! Thanks, dude!

Had collected quite a number of Christmas / winter warmer style beers over the holidays, and took lots of review notes....

Overall I really liked this one, very easy drinking, make me reminince a bit as I used to get Christian Moerlein beer in my area a lot years ago, but not now for some reason!

Appearance is good, nice clear ruby brown, small head and some lacing, not bad....

Smell is very sweetly malty up front, small bit of spices lingering, not overwhelming at all, nice rep. of this style....

Taste is great, goes down easy, not too heavy like many winter warmers....bready toasted malt and just a background of hops and spices....taste is more complex upon letting this beer warm a little...nicely balanced.

Mouthfeel is good also, carbonation is spot on, clean and crisp, could consume more than one of these at a setting easily...wish I had more!

Overall, a nice holiday beer from yet another Ohio beer, with storied history from the brewery!
Cheers... (1,089 characters)

4.25/5  rDev +11.8%

Deep amber color with a creamy off white, one-finger head. Aroma is of Chocolate sweetness and a slight spice. Taste is complex but not overbearing. It hides the ABV quite well and is a pleasure to drink. (207 characters)

4.25/5  rDev +11.8%

Picked up a bottle of this from last years batch, it held up very well. Carbonation was perfect. I was surprised at how dark the beer presented when poured into a wide globe glass. The nose on this beer gives is caramel sweetness upfront with a slight spice note on the finish. Also picked up a chocolate note as it warmed. The taste blew me away. Toasted malt forward with caramel sweetness upfront, rounding through chocolate notes and finishing with a dry spice leaving me thirsty for more. Great beer from a great brewery, give this one a try. (554 characters)

4.23/5  rDev +11.3%

Eye: I can't get over the way that this brew looks. This is one of the greatest looking beers I've ever taken a look at. Color is mahogany and is clear. Head is a dirty white and has excellent appearance at two fingers. It is a very creamy and sexy looking head. This is pure eye candy. I don't think that this could be improved any more.

Nose: Sweet rich malty aromas. I also get some toasty and warm malt aromas.Hops come through with a citrus character. This beer looks as if it is going to hold its own.

Tongue: Really nice well balanced flavor from Moerlien. Alcohol isn't as warming as I would like, kinda takes the fun out of a winter warmer, but hey, can't win em all. Malt flavor is warm, toasty and sweet. Some alcohol notes come through to help balance the brew, but not enough to warm as mentioned before. Also pick up some fruity flavors, subdued but in enough abundance to be noticed. Citrus hop flavors also add quite a bit to the dimension of this brew as well as help to balance the flavors out.

Mouthfeel and Drinkabiliy: This brew has a medium body with just the right amount of carbonation. Finish is semi-dry and has no warming sensation usually associated with the style. This is a very drinkable beer, I think that I just might pickup another sixer of this during this season. It is something that is easy to drink, and something that I wouldn't be opposed to drinking all night long. Another great offering from Christian Moerlein. (1,461 characters)

4.22/5  rDev +11.1%

Bought in a mixed-six at River's Bend in Lebanon to see if I'd like it enough to buy a 6-pack. Poured a reddish-amber with a nice foamy head. It smells great, but not what I expected from a "Christmas Ale." It had a very fresh hop/malt aroma. Slight chocolate and holiday spice flavors with a very nice hop finish. I was surprised. Very drinkable and no alcohol bite; I would personally like to see a little more ABV in a winter beer. (434 characters)

4.21/5  rDev +10.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Pours a dark amber color with two fingers of head. Spice smell is not really present. Taste is smooth and sweat with a great hops after taste. Alcohol taste can not be detected but this is a fairly strong beer.

Overall I would definitively recommend this beer. An excellent addition two our winter selections. (310 characters)

4.13/5  rDev +8.7%

hehehe... pimpp... ya beat me by a couple days!.... you're right on top of all things Cincinnati!

I got a sixer of this at the Kroger grocery store in Amelia. I cracked into the 12 oz brown bottle and poured into a pint glass. The off white head rose up to a perfect 1" of pillowy foam. The beer has a deep amber color with a hint of red.

The aroma is rather slight but I could pick up a toasted malt and some sweetness like caramel or chocolate....or both.

The Taste: Let me explain that my first Winter Warmer of the season was Harpoon Winter Warmer. All that I could taste with that one was cinnamon and nutmeg fighting for dominance.... I didn't like it. BUT, Christan Moerlein Christkindl Winter Warmer is what a Winter Warmer should be.... excellent. Sweet chocolate malty taste with a SLIGHT spicy back-up and a clean ever-so-slight hop finish.

Mouthfeel: Smooth and creamy.... I would say just a touch under robust. appropriate carbonation.

Drinkability: I will try some other Winter Warmers.... but this one will be kept in constant supply in my beer fridge.... I would be proud to serve this to my discerning holiday guests. Cincinnati BA's - Get ot there and support your local brewer and pick yourself up some of this. (1,235 characters)

4.1/5  rDev +7.9%

Pours a dark amber in color with a nice inch of frothy head. Head quickly recedes to a ring around the top of the glass. Smell is spice and malty. There is a definite "winter" scent in this beer. Almost a mint and pine smell. Smells refreshing. Taste is more hops than I was expecting. This is a good beer. Nice crisp mouthfeel. Just may be my favorite offering from Moerlein. (376 characters)

4.07/5  rDev +7.1%

A: Pours an amber color into my snifter. About a one finger head.
S: Very malty, some spice and a hint of chocolate. The hops and alcohol are hidden well.
T: Everything blends perfectly. The sweet malts and hops play off each other perfectly and allow the spice and chocolate to come through. Little to no boozy flavor or alcohol burn that is associated with this style of beer.
M: Medium carbonation, not too heavy.
D: Outstanding. Generally this style of beer is a one and done and something to savor. This beer is certainly something to savor, but you could have a few easily. (579 characters)

4.03/5  rDev +6.1%

A fairly standard, yet solid winter warmer. Pours a medium brown color with ruby highlights. Allows a large froathy head to rise above the glass, and hangs on for nice lacing. The maltiness dominates the brew, landing somewhere between Bock complex toasted malts and an Amber caramel sweetness. Throw in some Brown Ale nuttiness and hint of cocoa and this beer begins to show some good, complex flavors. Spicy, pine-ey hops give the beer a fresh, minty quality and well as a crisp, resin taste that keeps the malts from becoming over-bearing. Medium weighted, but bigger on flavor. The beer is not likely to have any additional spices --just letting the hops do it all. Finishes with a balanced note of toasted malts and refreshing hops. Truely what is expected from the style. (777 characters)

12 ounce bottle purchased at either Party Source or Jungle Jim's, I forget which place I bought this at. Served in a snifter, the beer pours a reddish/amber color with a half inch off-white head. Head retention is average, lacing is good. It smells like toasted malt, brown sugar, and a bit of ginger. The taste is spicy, it tastes like ginger, nutmeg, toasted malt, brown sugar and some earthy hops. Mouthfeel/body is medium, it's oily and slick, and also has decent carbonation. Drinkability is good, it's smooth and easy to drink. I think it's a pretty decent winter warmer, I'd definitely buy this again in the future. It's another good all-around Christian Moerlein brew! (676 characters)

christian moerlein christkindle winter warmer

4 clear amber brown, leaves ring and jagged lace.
4 very malty smell, caramel, bocklike
4 malt-forward toasted caramel taste, somewhat tangy, maybe some dark fruits (touch of aleness in what otherwise seems like a nice bock?) enough bitterness, some of it from hops, to clean up the finish but there is a lingering pleasant toastiness.
4 solid medium to medium-full body
4 a better bock than most actual bocks i've had. a bockale? maybe in between bock and amber ale. (514 characters)

Pours a deep clear coppery amber with a nice off white head fading quickly leaving creamy lacing around the edges.

The aroma was quite strong initially, strong malts and citrus, caramel and vanilla.

Taste is quite a bit more hoppy and bitter than I expected. A big bready butterscotch malt fills the mouth with the strong hop bitter finish with hints of spicing as well with a bit of alcohol warmth as well. I'm expecting even better as it warms!

Mouthfeel is medium, slick and smooth, quite oily with a moderate amount of carbonation.

A very good beer, hoppier than expected, kinda reminds me of Celebration in that respect for a Winter offering. (652 characters)

3.98/5  rDev +4.7%

Traded for this at DLD. Pleased to see that it's a warmer in the warming sense, meaning that it's all boozy and shit. And, well, it's kinda a little chilly out tonight, and it's not like this beer is getting any fresher, so let's try and warm ourselves up.

Pours pretty. Maybe a little light and ambery for the style, but it's a pretty shade of dark orange and it's capped with a really nice, large rocky head.

Smells like nuts and caramel. If I didn't know better I'd say this was a middle of the road brown ale. Not at all what I expect from a warmer, though not bad. And as it warms it gets a little more toasty and alcoholic.

Tastes dangerously smooth. Very sweet caramel starts like off, getting gradually sweet until it tastes like a honey soaked biscuit and then it ends on a medium-stength node of spice and alcoholic yeast. (837 characters)

3.97/5  rDev +4.5%

Serving glass: Poured from bottle into Nonic Imperial Pint.

Appearance: Murky dark orange with thin off-white head.

Smell: Strange fruitiness that is almost Belgian (but I like it). Also, notes of citrus, spices and caramel.

Taste: Fairly sweet and fruity, with caramel, plum and figs. Tastes somewhat like overripe fruits. Finish is slightly bitter, with citrus, pine and some spiciness.

Feel: Moderate carbonation, medium body. Finish is somewhat dry but also a little strange.

Overall: This is a little bit of an odd one, as it doesn't seem to be a typical English Strong Ale. A little overripe and Belgian-like, but I like it quite a bit overall. (656 characters)

3.95/5  rDev +3.9%

Dark copper liquid that pours with a fluffy head with nice retention. Plenty of lacing as the fluid level goes down. Aromas of pine, spices and apricot. Tastes of spice and citrus with some smoky caramel notes. This is a perfect quiet-night-by-the-fire beer. (258 characters)

3.88/5  rDev +2.1%

Christian Moerlein- Christkindl

Thanks to Pimpp for this 1.

A- Copper brown with a decent 2 finger thick foamy head. 2 ring lacing.
S- Spicy malt. Hint of molasses.
T- Spicy, hints of ginger and nutmeg, with a buttery malt backbone. Licorice detected!?
M- Buttery sweet and chewy, borderline cloying. Finishes off dry and warming.

Overall- Tasty and very easy to drink, more than 2 or 3 would become cloying but can't go wrong with this 1. (442 characters)

3.87/5  rDev +1.8%

So this is my first review and I have to start by saying, for the most part, I am a fan of other Christian Moerlein beers. While not being one of my favorites from them, it's still a good beer

A - Poured into a pint glass. Pours a very clear amber/brown color. I poured it a little too fast so the head was pretty big. Diminished after a while but not too quickly.

S - Sweet malt smell upfront. Not a whole lot of hops in the aroma. This may be a first but I swear I smelled roasted marshmellows. Maybe I'm imagining things.

T - Again sweet malt flavor is front and center. Some chocolate flavor but I didn't taste very many spices as I was expecting there would be. The hops don't make themself present until the end, but can be tasted in the aftertaste.

M - The mouthfeel was a little lighter than I had expected for this type of beer. Carbonation was average.

D - Drinkability is nice for this time of the year. I could certainly drink a couple of these at a time.

Overall, I would recommend this beer. It's at least worth a try. Not one of my favorites from Christian Moerlein. But still good. (1,103 characters)

3.85/5  rDev +1.3%

12oz. brown bottle purchased at Biggs on Colerain pouted into a pint. No dating but this is as fresh as it gets.. not even listed on their website yet.

A: Deep rusty reddish brown with a short finger head. Good retention, lasting most of the glass. Some patches of lacing.

S: Very spicy with some yeasty notes. Pepper and some orange rind make themselves seen, as well as a nice bready malted background.

T/M: Big notes of all spice and a hint of coriander. A sligthly sweet, mostly bready malt body is what this brew is all about. Hops add just a touch of crispness but very little bitterness. Body medium with a nice smoothness that lasts through the finish.

D: Not an extremely complex beer but tasty and perfect for this time of the year. (754 characters)

3.85/5  rDev +1.3%

11236 at the end of a code stamped on the bottle, presumably the Julian bottling date

A: Very attractive clear, dark red with good retention.

S: Brown sugar and yeast spiciness. Quite appealing.

T: Much like the nose, but with an almost crisp finish from hop bitterness. Tastes spicy but not really spiced.

M: Medium with a dry finish.

O: Not a bad beer, and worth drinking again, but not really remarkable. (412 characters)

first ← prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | nextlast
Christian Moerlein Christkindl Winter Warmer from Christian Moerlein Brewing Company