Christian Moerlein Christkindl Winter Warmer - Christian Moerlein Brewing Company

Christian Moerlein Christkindl Winter WarmerChristian Moerlein Christkindl Winter Warmer

good

Christian Moerlein Brewing Company visit their website
Ohio, United States

Winter Warmer |  6.95% ABV

(Beer added by: pwoods on 11-13-2007)
View: Beers (20) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters
beerman207

Kentucky

4.35/5  rDev +16.3%

A: Pours a nice dark reddish brown into the glass and leaves a huge head that leads to a beautiful lace on the glass. Impressive.

S: Smell is honey, nutmeg, clover, and some faint citrus.

T: The taste has some sweet bitterness along with honey and some spiciness in the backend.

M: Smooth and creamy. Very good.

D: I would have to say this is in the top 3 for winter warmers. Another fantastic offering from Moerlein. I still think that 12 dogs of xmas is my favorite thus far and that beer doesn't show as well as it should in the ratings here.

12-06-2009 02:11:03 | More by beerman207
Infamous7100

4.08/5  rDev +9.1%

A: Pours an amber color into my snifter. About a one finger head.
S: Very malty, some spice and a hint of chocolate. The hops and alcohol are hidden well.
T: Everything blends perfectly. The sweet malts and hops play off each other perfectly and allow the spice and chocolate to come through. Little to no boozy flavor or alcohol burn that is associated with this style of beer.
M: Medium carbonation, not too heavy.
D: Outstanding. Generally this style of beer is a one and done and something to savor. This beer is certainly something to savor, but you could have a few easily.

10-27-2009 22:25:02 | More by Infamous7100
ChainGangGuy

Georgia

3.53/5  rDev -5.6%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Appearance: Pours a clear, bright but deep amber body with a modest, off-white head. Tis' the season!

Smell: Malts display moderate scents of toasted bread and nuts while the hops give off some earthy, spicy notes.

Taste: Pale malts with some toasty, biscuity, and even nutty hints and a relatively light sweetness. Faint hint of fruitiness. Earthy, spicy hops impart no more than a light bitterness. It effectively finishes crisp and dry with a bit of those spicy hops riding out into the aftertaste.

Mouthfeel: Medium-bodied. Medium carbonation.

Drinkability: It's all kinds of okay! This one makes for simple, easy drinking for wintertime or really any time of the year.

09-11-2009 05:15:08 | More by ChainGangGuy
brewmudgeon

Wisconsin

christian moerlein christkindle winter warmer

4 clear amber brown, leaves ring and jagged lace.
4 very malty smell, caramel, bocklike
4 malt-forward toasted caramel taste, somewhat tangy, maybe some dark fruits (touch of aleness in what otherwise seems like a nice bock?) enough bitterness, some of it from hops, to clean up the finish but there is a lingering pleasant toastiness.
4 solid medium to medium-full body
4 a better bock than most actual bocks i've had. a bockale? maybe in between bock and amber ale.

05-23-2009 19:18:33 | More by brewmudgeon
bluejacket74

12 ounce bottle purchased at either Party Source or Jungle Jim's, I forget which place I bought this at. Served in a snifter, the beer pours a reddish/amber color with a half inch off-white head. Head retention is average, lacing is good. It smells like toasted malt, brown sugar, and a bit of ginger. The taste is spicy, it tastes like ginger, nutmeg, toasted malt, brown sugar and some earthy hops. Mouthfeel/body is medium, it's oily and slick, and also has decent carbonation. Drinkability is good, it's smooth and easy to drink. I think it's a pretty decent winter warmer, I'd definitely buy this again in the future. It's another good all-around Christian Moerlein brew!

03-01-2009 00:41:00 | More by bluejacket74
mobyfann

4.5/5  rDev +20.3%

Paid $19.99 for a case at Jungle Jim's...

The beer pours a bubbly amber colored base with a 1/2" white head, excellent head retention and nice lacing effects on the glass. The aroma is a well-blended mix of sweet caramel malts, floral hops and a touch cardamom.

The taste is very smooth and tasty. Hops are noticeable first with a rebound in lemons and anise with a sweet and malty finish, excellent combination. Very smooth in the mouth and at any abv it's a clear winner of a brew.

Final Thought: This beer rocks the house, even four months after it was picked up last fall. Also, the best CM brew known to date with OTR and Hefeweizen at a close second.

03-01-2009 00:14:25 | More by mobyfann
Bierguy5

3.55/5  rDev -5.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

12 oz. bottle. Pours a darker amber color. Thin off-white head trickles down to a thin ring almost immediately.

Pretty clean aroma, a bit of toasty malt with some caramel. A faint hint of chocolate in the background. A bit of floral and earthy hops finish things off.

A bit of caramel malt up front, with a hint of chocolate. Nice balance of earthy hop bitterness. Very simple. Perhaps a bit of citrusy bitterness in the end.

Just a slight hint of warming. Medium body, ample carbonation. Pretty simple all over. One of the better ones from Moerlein.

01-11-2009 14:36:20 | More by Bierguy5
mikesgroove

South Carolina

3.75/5  rDev +0.3%

Picked up this bottle on my last trip to Ohio. I really did not care for it the first couple times I tried it, but I had better results this time. Served cold and poured into a pint glass, this one was consumed on 12/18/2008.

The pour was decent. A rich dark amber color was evident right away. Rich looking color but with only a small, token head of lace on top that really did not do much to excite me in any way. Little in the way of side glass lacing as well.

The aroma was rich though. Very nice caramel malt profile wit hints of bready touches and a nice overall profile to it. Intresting flavor as the smooth malt character took the center stage here and really showed off quite well. Decent sweetness to it with really no alcohol in it what so ever.

Overall a decent winter beer with a rich malty flavor and a smooth, easy drinkability. I would have no trouble trying this one again.

12-19-2008 01:33:24 | More by mikesgroove
BlackBearForge

Pours a deep clear coppery amber with a nice off white head fading quickly leaving creamy lacing around the edges.

The aroma was quite strong initially, strong malts and citrus, caramel and vanilla.

Taste is quite a bit more hoppy and bitter than I expected. A big bready butterscotch malt fills the mouth with the strong hop bitter finish with hints of spicing as well with a bit of alcohol warmth as well. I'm expecting even better as it warms!

Mouthfeel is medium, slick and smooth, quite oily with a moderate amount of carbonation.

A very good beer, hoppier than expected, kinda reminds me of Celebration in that respect for a Winter offering.

11-18-2008 00:40:39 | More by BlackBearForge
FtownThrowDown

4.1/5  rDev +9.6%

Pours a dark amber in color with a nice inch of frothy head. Head quickly recedes to a ring around the top of the glass. Smell is spice and malty. There is a definite "winter" scent in this beer. Almost a mint and pine smell. Smells refreshing. Taste is more hops than I was expecting. This is a good beer. Nice crisp mouthfeel. Just may be my favorite offering from Moerlein.

10-02-2008 00:28:48 | More by FtownThrowDown
tayner

Arizona

3.78/5  rDev +1.1%

12 oz bottle, no date

Crystal clear dark amber/maple syrup color with a off white foam head that holds up well for a long time and laces good.

smells of sweet malt and floral hops.

From the smell i expected a hop hit at the beginning which i did not get. I got sweet malt, caramel maybe, and almost a nutmeg quality to it. It has a mid palate and finish of peppery hoppiness that cuts through the sweetness with ease.

Feels crisp and clean in my mouth without feeling watery.

It seems a little warming, but not making me sweat like some winter warmers do here in Arizona, so that is a plus for me. I think i could knock back a few of these in a sitting before i would get weighed down. This is a very nice winter warmer, light on the spice flavor (not overly done like alot of them), but not light on taste.

01-22-2008 01:11:48 | More by tayner
BEERchitect

Kentucky

4.03/5  rDev +7.8%

A fairly standard, yet solid winter warmer. Pours a medium brown color with ruby highlights. Allows a large froathy head to rise above the glass, and hangs on for nice lacing. The maltiness dominates the brew, landing somewhere between Bock complex toasted malts and an Amber caramel sweetness. Throw in some Brown Ale nuttiness and hint of cocoa and this beer begins to show some good, complex flavors. Spicy, pine-ey hops give the beer a fresh, minty quality and well as a crisp, resin taste that keeps the malts from becoming over-bearing. Medium weighted, but bigger on flavor. The beer is not likely to have any additional spices --just letting the hops do it all. Finishes with a balanced note of toasted malts and refreshing hops. Truely what is expected from the style.

12-26-2007 14:02:56 | More by BEERchitect
brewdlyhooked13

3.58/5  rDev -4.3%

Appearance - pours a honeyed reddish amber into a Belgian glass, a one finger blanket of smooth foam on top. Nice stick and some decent strands of lace as the head settles. Beautiful start.

Aroma - initially shows off some sweet aromas like brown sugar, toasty sweet breads, and an undercurrent of alcohol. A minor element of metal as it sets up in the glass. Still, a fine nose on this one, some nuttiness emerging with warmth.

Taste - the malt base is toasty and reminds me vaguely of graham crackers at first. The sweetness is held in check, allowing the hops to dominate quickly about mid-palate and beyond. It's somewhat of an empty alpha style bitterness though, not much body, citrus, or other flavor there. I don't think I've said this for a beer in this style before, but it's leaning a little too much to the hop side, a side which also happens to be a little shallow on flavor. If there was a citrusy element there or some more chocolate presence, then okay. Needs more malt body for the style. Some light butteriness and malt nuttiness pick up about halfway through and the suggestion of anise perhaps. I think it's a stand-up effort but seems lacking in a few areas I really enjoy, namely a heavier maltiness and the appropriate warming abv of a winter warmer. The beer improves as it warms, so I might enjoy a second more than the first.

Mouthfeel - good body for the most part, I can tell they used a generous amount of ingredients. Pretty high in the carbonation department, but that does make for instant head regen on a swirl. Good levels for the most part aside from the feisty carbonation.

Drinkability - if they could malt this up a tad, I'd give it another go but as is I'd prefer the 5th Vine or the OTR Ale.

12-19-2007 03:01:46 | More by brewdlyhooked13
NJpadreFan

3.9/5  rDev +4.3%

Christian Moerlein- Christkindl

Thanks to Pimpp for this 1.

A- Copper brown with a decent 2 finger thick foamy head. 2 ring lacing.
S- Spicy malt. Hint of molasses.
T- Spicy, hints of ginger and nutmeg, with a buttery malt backbone. Licorice detected!?
M- Buttery sweet and chewy, borderline cloying. Finishes off dry and warming.

Overall- Tasty and very easy to drink, more than 2 or 3 would become cloying but can't go wrong with this 1.

12-08-2007 01:07:43 | More by NJpadreFan
Generik420

Indiana

4.55/5  rDev +21.7%

My dad picked my up a 6-pack on his way through Cincy and now I am feeling in need of more. I met the brewmaster for Moerlein earlier this year at their Marzen fest and he gave some background on this beer. He specifically said there would be no spices added and this beer was going to derive it's flavor from the malt. With that in mind, I think this beer is one of the exceptional winter beers out this season. It tastes like there is some additions to it, almost a bit of a caramel flavor. Mouthfeel is a little oily, definitely hearty. ABV is a bit lower then one expects of winter beers. All in all I like this beer a lot and would definitely recommend it to anyone in the Cincinnati area.

12-07-2007 17:16:49 | More by Generik420
becktone

4.2/5  rDev +12.3%

Eye: I can't get over the way that this brew looks. This is one of the greatest looking beers I've ever taken a look at. Color is mahogany and is clear. Head is a dirty white and has excellent appearance at two fingers. It is a very creamy and sexy looking head. This is pure eye candy. I don't think that this could be improved any more.

Nose: Sweet rich malty aromas. I also get some toasty and warm malt aromas.Hops come through with a citrus character. This beer looks as if it is going to hold its own.

Tongue: Really nice well balanced flavor from Moerlien. Alcohol isn't as warming as I would like, kinda takes the fun out of a winter warmer, but hey, can't win em all. Malt flavor is warm, toasty and sweet. Some alcohol notes come through to help balance the brew, but not enough to warm as mentioned before. Also pick up some fruity flavors, subdued but in enough abundance to be noticed. Citrus hop flavors also add quite a bit to the dimension of this brew as well as help to balance the flavors out.

Mouthfeel and Drinkabiliy: This brew has a medium body with just the right amount of carbonation. Finish is semi-dry and has no warming sensation usually associated with the style. This is a very drinkable beer, I think that I just might pickup another sixer of this during this season. It is something that is easy to drink, and something that I wouldn't be opposed to drinking all night long. Another great offering from Christian Moerlein.

12-06-2007 02:08:12 | More by becktone
moose3285

3.88/5  rDev +3.7%

So this is my first review and I have to start by saying, for the most part, I am a fan of other Christian Moerlein beers. While not being one of my favorites from them, it's still a good beer

A - Poured into a pint glass. Pours a very clear amber/brown color. I poured it a little too fast so the head was pretty big. Diminished after a while but not too quickly.

S - Sweet malt smell upfront. Not a whole lot of hops in the aroma. This may be a first but I swear I smelled roasted marshmellows. Maybe I'm imagining things.

T - Again sweet malt flavor is front and center. Some chocolate flavor but I didn't taste very many spices as I was expecting there would be. The hops don't make themself present until the end, but can be tasted in the aftertaste.

M - The mouthfeel was a little lighter than I had expected for this type of beer. Carbonation was average.

D - Drinkability is nice for this time of the year. I could certainly drink a couple of these at a time.

Overall, I would recommend this beer. It's at least worth a try. Not one of my favorites from Christian Moerlein. But still good.

11-30-2007 03:50:11 | More by moose3285
telefrog

4.2/5  rDev +12.3%

Bought in a mixed-six at River's Bend in Lebanon to see if I'd like it enough to buy a 6-pack. Poured a reddish-amber with a nice foamy head. It smells great, but not what I expected from a "Christmas Ale." It had a very fresh hop/malt aroma. Slight chocolate and holiday spice flavors with a very nice hop finish. I was surprised. Very drinkable and no alcohol bite; I would personally like to see a little more ABV in a winter beer.

11-28-2007 22:19:57 | More by telefrog
pumarocks

3.18/5  rDev -15%

Picked up this bad boy at the local grocery store. I usually give anything Christian Moerlein makes a chance so here it goes..

For a winter warmer, I am a little disappointed. I was hoping the alcohol content would be higher and the taste a little bolder. Don't get me wrong, this is a very drinkable beer. I could easy knock back two on a cold winters' night no problem. The label states there is a spicy chocolaty flavor. I did not pick up on this. Tastes like your standard ale but with understated hop character. The after taste is lasting and enjoyable. Has a nice reddish color. will try other Christian Moerlein offerings but will sample other winter warmers.

11-28-2007 14:43:10 | More by pumarocks
icapturpix

4.47/5  rDev +19.5%

I just picked up a sixer from Kroger and I have to say I am very impressed with this seasonal from the boys at Moerlein. First I will say the package jumped of the shelf and said buy me. I always enjoy the artwork and interesting story that Moerlein tells. This was no exception.

The first thing I noticed after I opened Christkindl is the aroma. It has a very appealing smell. You pick up a touch of holiday spice and a little bit of a chocolate coming through.

The appearance is a redish brown. The head was tight and left a decent lace on the glass.

The taste has a little bit of hops up front that really implies the presence of holiday spices. It has a very balanced malt body that finishes with a very subtle dark chocolate flavor.

I noticed this was more evident as the beer was exposed to air. This is pretty common for a very I mean very fresh beer. The hops begin to mellow and let the malt flavors come through.

I really enjoyed this Winter Warmer. It lived up to the hype and I feel it is only going to get better as it ages, that is if it has a chance. A beer that looks and tastes this good is going to fly off the shelf. I would get it while it lasts.

By the way check out an article on Greg Hardman the owner of Christian Moerlein. He is the cover story in the Nov-Dec issue of Cincinnati Gentlemen magazine on the shelves right now. Its a pretty good read and makes you want to support your local brewer.

11-17-2007 21:24:58 | More by icapturpix
TheBierBand

4.13/5  rDev +10.4%

hehehe... pimpp... ya beat me by a couple days!.... you're right on top of all things Cincinnati!

I got a sixer of this at the Kroger grocery store in Amelia. I cracked into the 12 oz brown bottle and poured into a pint glass. The off white head rose up to a perfect 1" of pillowy foam. The beer has a deep amber color with a hint of red.

The aroma is rather slight but I could pick up a toasted malt and some sweetness like caramel or chocolate....or both.

The Taste: Let me explain that my first Winter Warmer of the season was Harpoon Winter Warmer. All that I could taste with that one was cinnamon and nutmeg fighting for dominance.... I didn't like it. BUT, Christan Moerlein Christkindl Winter Warmer is what a Winter Warmer should be.... excellent. Sweet chocolate malty taste with a SLIGHT spicy back-up and a clean ever-so-slight hop finish.

Mouthfeel: Smooth and creamy.... I would say just a touch under robust. appropriate carbonation.

Drinkability: I will try some other Winter Warmers.... but this one will be kept in constant supply in my beer fridge.... I would be proud to serve this to my discerning holiday guests. Cincinnati BA's - Get ot there and support your local brewer and pick yourself up some of this.

11-15-2007 23:26:15 | More by TheBierBand
pwoods

3.88/5  rDev +3.7%

12oz. brown bottle purchased at Biggs on Colerain pouted into a pint. No dating but this is as fresh as it gets.. not even listed on their website yet.

A: Deep rusty reddish brown with a short finger head. Good retention, lasting most of the glass. Some patches of lacing.

S: Very spicy with some yeasty notes. Pepper and some orange rind make themselves seen, as well as a nice bready malted background.

T/M: Big notes of all spice and a hint of coriander. A sligthly sweet, mostly bready malt body is what this brew is all about. Hops add just a touch of crispness but very little bitterness. Body medium with a nice smoothness that lasts through the finish.

D: Not an extremely complex beer but tasty and perfect for this time of the year.

11-13-2007 22:52:13 | More by pwoods
Christian Moerlein Christkindl Winter Warmer from Christian Moerlein Brewing Company