Christian Moerlein Emancipator Doppelbock - Christian Moerlein Brewing Company

Christian Moerlein Emancipator DoppelbockChristian Moerlein Emancipator Doppelbock

Christian Moerlein Brewing Company visit their website
Ohio, United States

Doppelbock |  6.50% ABV

Availability: Spring

Beer added by: brewdlyhooked13 on 02-01-2008

amazing beer one of my all time favourites absolutely delicious!!!

4.75/5  rDev +24.7%

4.75/5  rDev +24.7%

Thought I'd review the bottled version... I had the freshest of the fresh "on-tap". Now for the bottle rating:

Poured into my pint glass to form a smooth creamy 1" head of light beige. The head dwindled to a thin cap but left some decent lacing on the sides of the glass. The color of the beer is a deep amber color.

The nose is slight on this. Not much of a hint of what's to come. Just a very slight mollasses followed by a smokey scent.

The taste: Gotta give this a "5"! Right on style and delicious. Very complex. Let me try to break this down for you: This beer has a sweet start that has elements of dates, a toasted malt, and a finish like smoked salmon! This stuff ROCKS!

The mouthfeel is another highlight of this beer. so smooth and creamy.... wonderful!

Drinkability: Hell yes, have 'em all day long. This is one of my favorite doppelbocks, if not my favorite. Is there another doppelbock that can come along and de-throne the EMANCIPATOR????

4.47/5  rDev +17.3%

Paid $7.99 to refill my growler at Party Source in Bellevue, KY...

Served to guests for SUPER BOWL 42! Go Giants!

The beer pours a clear chocolate base, medium white-caramel colored head, long-lasting head retention and nice signs of lacing throughout the glass. The aroma is smoky like woodchips at first, then a full nose of malts, slightly sweet to follow, heavenly for the malt-lover.

The taste (and I agree with TheBierBand in letting the beer settle about 15 minutes to warm up) is sweet at first, toffee for sure, and settles with a full malt aftertaste coupled with a crisp finish. The mouthfeel is very smooth with the retaining head and the beer meets all drinkability expectations, and by no means has the feel of any alcohol at 6.5% abv.

Final Thought: Wow, I've had their doppelbock before, but this emancipator "brand" feels like the high-end model of their original beer... outstanding!

4.43/5  rDev +16.3%

I poured this wonderful beer into my tumbler at 45 degrees. Boy wish I could get more of this one. The beer had a nice caramel taste to it. The beer was terrible looking and poured no head at all. I was going to swear it was flat until I tasted it. The beer is a little sweet but not too bad for me. This truly was a surprise find and I would certainly buy it again.

4.42/5  rDev +16%

Filled up my growler at the Party Source after my shift ended this evening.

Eye: The beer pours brown into the glass, when light diffuses through it there is a beautiful red that comes out, also some hints of orange near the bottom of the glass. Body is clear however, the head could use some work. Could be this glass, don't think I've really ever got a good head in it, or could've been the cleanliness of my growler, or both. With that taken out of account this beer still looks great, even with the crappy head retention I'm getting.

Nose: Big rich malty aroma in this brew. I get roasted characteristics some chocolate, some sweet notes(from alcohol?) and some caramel/toffe. The aroma is complex and potent as well, but not overpowering. This beer smells great.

Tongue: I am definitely getting some roasted flavors as well as some chocolate in here. I'm also picking up a general sweetness, and in very minute amounts, a slight spiciness that could possibly be coming from the alcohol. There is also a bit of that dark fruit flavor that strikes the front of the tongue and then is quickly covered up. At times I also pick up some of that caramel/toffee. Its hard to pick out all the subtleties in a beer that is this complex, it is very much alive, flavors weaving in and out of each other, finding balance and creating ecstatic portraits of color.

Mouthfeel and Drinkability: If this beer is light on the palate then I am Micky Mouse. Very nice full body that just weighs down the tongue. Lower carbonation levels compliment the complexity of the flavor of the beer and keep out of the way of the beer's taste while still supporting the mouthfeel.This is one beer that I will drink again, and I can easily see myself buying it again soon. This is a Doppelbock that I'd consider living off of, well at least for a few days.

edit: Let it be known that I've not eaten at all today, I've been up about 14 hours and I'm on my second glass of this, I am not really all that hungry, by the time this glass is done I will prolly be full. The bros are right when they say that this style is a meal in and of itslef.

4.37/5  rDev +14.7%

On tap from Taylor's Pub (Blue Ash):

A - Pours a dark chestnut with deep red highlights. Very clear in the glass and forms a small head with very little retention. Seems a bit lacking in the foam formation.

S - Roasty/Malty with some burnt caramel hits the nose. A slight bit of bitter coffee is noted well beneath the malt. No real hint of hops.

T - Really close to the aromas! There's a bit of sweetness that the nose didn't pick up. The sweetness turns into a molasses/brown sugar flavor as the brew warms. Bitterness isn't present other than the slight coffee bean flavor.

M - Creamy, but somewhat thin. From the smell and flavor, you kind of expect a bit thicker viscosity. Alcohol gives a very slight warming spice quality, but is well hidden. Carbonation is lively, but doesn't prickle the tongue.

D - An easy drinking brew. Color and flavors make you want to sip this, but in reality you can drink this one easily; you won't have to baby it. Close to being a good session beer as it doesn't kick or fill you up too fast.

A really well balanced brew. Not too heavy and nowhere near being light. I will certainly have this while it's around (especially since it's in walking distance of the office).

4.36/5  rDev +14.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

Appearance - pours a dark caramel color with some red tint to it. A good finger of creamy head throws a few nice swaths of lace around the glass.

Aroma - an essence of baked bread out of the bottle. Thick aroma of malt with a light toast to it. Fades out after setup but retains some of the nice aroma.

Taste - big and malty as it should be. Nice roasted element there with a hint of roasted coffee on the swallow and continuing into the aftertaste. A quick flash of hops follows, briefly providing a moment of parity. Finishes with a tingling of alcohol and a reprise of the breadiness that makes the style what it is. Smooth alcohol and some mellow flavors of dark chocolate come out with warming and create a rather long finish. Quite a nice array of flavors.

Mouthfeel - appropriately heavy, low to mid carbonation level.

Drinkability - very tasty. I really am impressed with what CM has put out in the past 12 months, this is a finely crafted brew. I need a blind head-to-head against some of the better rated DB's to see how it fares against its peers.

4.25/5  rDev +11.5%

It's no wonder this won a Silver at GABF, it's really that good. Just like all of their beers, Moerlein doesn't disappoint with this Doppelbock. Earthy, Nutty Malt backbone with a deep brown color.

4.25/5  rDev +11.5%

Christian Moerlein Emancipator Doppelbock from Christian Moerlein Brewing Company