Christian Moerlein Lager House Original Golden Helles - Christian Moerlein Brewing Company

Christian Moerlein Lager House Original Golden HellesChristian Moerlein Lager House Original Golden Helles

Christian Moerlein Brewing Company visit their website
Ohio, United States

Munich Helles Lager |  5.20% ABV

Availability: Summer

Beer added by: TheBierBand on 07-21-2008

first ‹ prev | 1-25 | 26-50 | 51-75  | next › last
1.52/5  rDev -54.6%

On a recent trip to Cincinnati I was in Nicholson's Gastropub (Gastropub that serves Fish and Chips... Go Figure) they gave me a taste of their Pub Ale. Tasted like spoiled sour butter... I think this beer is the same thing... They told me that pub ale was brewed by the local Sam Adams brewery... same story for the Christian Moerlein.

Pours from the bottle a slightly cloudy yellow with a sour smell.
I tried a two of them which I felt was really one too many.

I like the idea that large brewers like Boston Beer Company try and make a local product but they should put more effort into it. Like most of what I have tasted from BBW, I don't think this is really not up to their normal standards. (701 characters)

2.58/5  rDev -23%

Pours a limited head with little lacing a clear dark golden color.

Smells very malty.

Tastes malty with little to no hop balancing. Slightly buttery and lighlty toasted. Extemely light mouthfeel with light carbonation.

Quite drinkable with the limited carbonation and light mouthfeel.

The lack of hop presence reminds me of a cheap adjunct lager. Definitely not up to par for the style. I thought maybe I had poured the wrong beer in my glass when I first tasted this as it tastes very BMC. (495 characters)

2.6/5  rDev -22.4%

a. Nice golden color, pored into a pint glass. Nice head.
s. something about the smell seems off. I can't really pin it.
t. Not very good, honestly tastes sorta corny-y, almost like a euro lager. After taste is not good, and as it warms it gets even funkier.
m.not bad not great.
o. Okay not great, they are easy to drink, Doubt I would buy again.

I got this out of a variety pack. (382 characters)

2.61/5  rDev -22.1%

Had on tap.

Appearance is a slightly hazy dark gold with a tiny wispy head.

Picked up a slightly floral hop note from the smell but not really much else.

Flavor was somewhat sweet with a light bready grain. A little bit of floral hops but just a very light bitterness. Just not a whole lot going on.

Overall I was a little disappointed with this beer. All the flavors were somewhat muted and it was really boring. Not sure I would seek out again. (450 characters)

2.63/5  rDev -21.5%

Fairly typical of less authentic versions of the style. With a bit more cleanliness, the beer would fare well. But with this style of beer, its all about the clean.

An almost clear golden beer pour with a part froath/part fizzy head that struggles to last half the session. A fair look but not impressive.

Straw, bread-like crackers, and a grainy sweet character carries the aroma and taste. Heavy on the sweet and low hop flavor/bitterness keeps the beer weighted heavily on the tongue. The mild oily flavor, aroma, and feel dulls the crisp and clean character of the beer underneath and also adds to the weight of the beer.

If the beer avoided the diacetyl (oily) character, attenuated better, and had any herbal hop flavor or balanced bitterness, then a better assessment can be made. With that, there's too many distractions- not sure if this is an attempt at a Munich Helles or a Pre-Prohibition Pilsner, or anywhere in between- pretty non-descript. (957 characters)

2.64/5  rDev -21.2%

Pours a clear pale gold with a white head that tapers down into a miniscule sheet. No lacing observed. A lot of carbonation can be seen rising to the top. Not bad by any means, but nothing remarkable either.

The smell left me wanting.Very adjuncty smelling, similar to that of a light beer. There is some bitterness that is masked very well.

The taste is very sweet but not heavy or syrupy in any way. slight bit of bitterness balances this off nicely . Very grainey taste.

Mouthfeel is about what I expected. It is highly carbonated but this makes it easily quaffable. very dry finish. Leaves a quenching sensation as well.

This stuff has a decent flavor and I would take it over a lot of other sessionable beers if I had the offer. Perhaps it is the season that is making critical. If it were summer this stuff would hit the spot. (836 characters)

2.7/5  rDev -19.4%

Pours gold in color with whatever head there is disappearing before I can walk away from the counter. Smell is malty, but not a very good malt. Not a lot of hops or spice in this at all. Very malty, highly carbonated. Tastes very BMC'ish. A little puckering, bittering in the end, but I'm not sure that's from any semblance of hopping. A little bit of a letdown from Moerlein. (376 characters)

2.8/5  rDev -16.4%

355ml twist-off.

It pours a clear gold with a frothy white head that leaves some decent lacing.

Smell isn't like a true helles. More like an APL. The yeast is uncontrolled.

The flavor is sweet and yeasty. A bit of noble hops. Really not typical for the style. (262 characters)

2.82/5  rDev -15.8%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.75

Darker than any Helles I've seen to date, it's almost amber and only as clear as the color allows (which is still pretty clear). A fizzy, big-bubbled head makes a fair effort and sets an oily foam atop the brew. It holds as is for the duration, laying down spotting as it goes.
Dry and sweet clash rather than complementing or working off each other. Malts are crackery while a slick sort of sweetness counters and dry hay runs underneath. It's okay.
It's mostly the same but with a distinct note of diacetyl running through. It's a little too grainy as well. Otherwise, that sweetness continues here, and there is an herbal hops note. Oils, grains, and slickness keep it from being remotely clean.
The same goes for what should be a crisp, light-bodied beer; it weighs heavy with an off slickness on the tongue. It is somewhat crisp, but not enough to redeem this beer. (870 characters)

2.95/5  rDev -11.9%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3

Appearance: pours a pale yellow color with a short 1/2" head that fall apart immediately.

Smell: light grassy aroma is all you can detect.

Taste: light malt profile with some grass and a hint of fruit sweetness. A bit of spiciness is detected from the hops.

Mouthfeel: light in body. Lightly crisp to start, a bit smoother at the finish. Pretty clean aftertaste.

Overall: a very mild Helles lager that leaves you wanting a bit more malt flavor. Very easy to drink, but one is enough in a session. (501 characters)

2.95/5  rDev -11.9%

Appearance - Very clear straw/golden color. Super white head without much size, retention or lacing. Looks like a "macro" lager or pilsner. A few bubbles streaming up from the bottom.

Smell - A grainy aroma. Some corn and wheat notes. It smells clean. Maybe some toasted notes, but they are really faint.

Taste - The taste provided the grain with some buttery flavors. Got the corn again, but I also detected some sweetness. Clean throughout. A supportive bitterness adds a bit of complexity.

Mouthfeel - Light to medium mouthfeel. Refreshing and mostly dry. Crisp and easy going. Left touches on the palate.

Drinkability - This, to me, is a step above the "macros." It still has some of the characteristics, however like the pronounced corn/grain aromas and taste. This would be nice in the Summer, but I would probably look elsewhere after a couple. (857 characters)

2.98/5  rDev -11%

Christian Moerlein was one of my go-to beers in the late 80's in college. I lost track of it after college, and when I started looking into good beer, I realized that CM had been discontinued for a long period of time, and was now only available in and around the Cincinnati area. So I was excited to see it during a recent visit to Columbus!

I poured a 12 oz bottle into a pilsner glass. Pours a straw gold color, with a thin white head. Has a very typical lager appearance.

Smells of wet grass, supported by mildly sweet malt aroma. A slight tang tickles the back of the nose.

The sweet malt is much more upfront in the taste than it is in the smell, with an almost toffee-like flavor that is slightly syrupy. A slightly harsh carbonation/bitter finishes it out, leaving a lingering syrupy malt taste that is not very pleasant.

Medium bodied, with a sticky finish.

Wow, I must have had much worse taste in college, or this new iteration of CM doesn't live up to what I remember. Either way, I'll finish this sixer for nostalgia's sake, but don't see myself seeking this out again. What bums me out most is that I picked up extras of this for a friend who grew up in the Cinci area and intended to surprise him with it; now, my concern is that the surprise will be at the decline of this beer, rather than the fact that I found it at all. (1,344 characters)

While I enjoy many of the beers that Moerlein produces, this beer isn't one of them. Perhaps it's because I'm so burned out on any lager style beer. As an American who has been exposed to lagers and variants of lagers as 95% of the beer available for most of my life, I'm sick and tired of the style. If I drink a lager, I want it to offer something new and different from the muck I've been exposed to for most of my life. Many lagers have succeeded in doing this. This lager has not.

It's Okay. As in, it's not a bad beer at all, but you won't be impressed in any special way. This is simply a decent beer compared to most other typical American style lagers. The other offerings from this company are all much better and memorable. This one is really not anything special.

If I didn't know anything about any of the beers this company made and a stranger asked for my recommendation,I'd tell them to try anything except the Helles. All of the beers they make are great except this one. (992 characters)

Pours a sparkling copper hue with a fluffy one finger head.

Aroma is sweet malty mix with hints of flowery hops. Notes of toasted bread from the malts.

Taste is bitter and sweet and mostly mild.

Mouthfeel is slightly watery and thin. Carbonation is good and refreshing. Decent summer lawn mower beer. (306 characters)

Appearance: Pours out a clear, yellow body with a thin, white head. Simple and honest, do if I had a lovely, scantily-clad assistant to shout "ta-da!" I may be more enthusiastic.

Smell: A bit of a weak nose, really, with only mild, transient notes of lightly toasted malts, floral hops, and thinly sliced apples.

Taste: All the light pale maltiness one would expect as well as a thin trace of toasted breadiness and slight honeyish sweetness. Fruity spritz of Yellow Delicious Apple juice. Floral German hops with a light bitterness. The finish is appropriately drying, but kind of empty in terms of taste, like a movie that ends oddly abruptly.

Mouthfeel: Light-bodied. Medium-low carbonation.

Drinkability: A fine, serviceable lager when it comes to light, easy drinking, but, for me, I'm left wanting just a skosh more in the flavor and aroma department. Next time I'd like to see a little more, Moerlein. (912 characters)

3.03/5  rDev -9.6%

Pours a clear golden color with a solid one finger ivory head that dissipates into a light later of foam, leaving no lacing.

Aroma is sweet grainy malt, corn, and slightly herbal hop.

Flavor is fairly sweet malt, bready, with a bit of a metallic finish. Slightly spicy hop adds character into the somewhat dry finish.

Body is moderate, with a fairly high level of carbonation.

Overall, a very drinkable beer, albeit lacking in intangibles. (444 characters)

3.09/5  rDev -7.8%

Aroma hits with lemon, bread dough, some malt sweetness, and hints of caramel as the 2" white head quickly fizzes away to a thin slick with a few large bubbles clinging to the edges. Plenty of sticky lace left behind. The beer is a deep gold, dark for a helles.

Lemony spicy hops ride over a biscuity malt base. The canned vegetal flavor of DMS is present but not overwhelming. A bracing bitterness swallows the struggling malt and cleans up the whole mess into a fairly rapid and dry finish. Unfortunately, the DMS survives into an annoying aftertaste.

Light body with medium high carbonation makes this easy to toss back, an important quality in a helles, but otherwise this fairly inoffensive lager misses the helles-mark pretty badly. Definitely not in Spaten territory. If you are looking for an inoffensive quencher at a reasonable price, this is fine. If you want all of the subtle and refreshing qualities of a fine German helles, keep looking. (955 characters)

3.14/5  rDev -6.3%
look: 3 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

fresh 12 oz bottle.
Pours clear, golden with a moderate size head that has weak retention,
Fairly nice aroma of sweet and light roasted malts. Flavor is true to German style heles with no noteworthy faults or strengths.
Medium-light body; lightly crisp carbonation; slightly dry finish. (289 characters)

3.18/5  rDev -5.1%
look: 3 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Bottle poured into a pilsner glass. The bottling date marks this as a fairly old beer, so I may re-review when it's fresh.

Moerlein's lager pours a fairly standard "lager" color - transparent, clear gold with a soapy white head that fades quickly. There's active carbonation from the bottom of the glass but little lacing left behind. Meh.

While many would expect an adjunct-like smell based on appearance, Moerlein's Helles boasts its traditional recipe proudly: Bready pils malts, a touch of honey, and spicy European hops. There is a touch of sourness lingering in the background that grows as the beer warms, but I tend to expect that with some of these styles. Not bad, just a little bland.

The taste on this is not bad. It is refreshing if nothing else, with a nice spicy bitterness on the finish with plenty of buttery and bready malts to provide some sweetness. The sourness does tend to linger but washes away fairly quickly. Overall, a fairly balanced and tasty, just not an absolute stand-out beer. Moerlein does better than this, I think. For what it's worth, though, this is a good transition beer.

Helles Lagers' mouthfeel has a crisp and dry carbonation with a fairly light body. The sourness on the finish fades fairly quickly. It is a very good summer beer, I think.

While not Moerlein's best, this is still okay for giving to your BMC-drinking friends at tailgates or house parties. It's a good transition beer, as I said... or if you don't necessarily want to go all-out for your regular go-to beer, this might suit you. (1,544 characters)

3.19/5  rDev -4.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 3

This being an Ohio beer, and me living in Ohio, I admit that I wanted to like it. But it really doesn't have much to like--or dislike for that matter. The nose and taste are dominated by sweet malt, but there's a considerable dryness to the finish. Flavors are muted here, but you'll smell and taste bread and caramel. The mouthfeel is thin and carbonation is relatively low. Overall, this is a step up from the macro lagers, but at $8.49-$8.99 for a six pack, it just doesn't have much to make it stand out from the others beers in that price range. While I didn't dislike this, I won't be buying this one again. Next time I'm looking for an Ohio beer I'll be sure to stick to Great Lakes, Thirsty Dog, or Columbus Brewing Company. (732 characters)

3.2/5  rDev -4.5%

Christian Moerlein Lager House Original Golden Helles pours a golden yellow with a thin whtie head from a brown twelve ounce bottle. The aroma is grainy. The flavor is a bit grainy, there is a touch of lemon like twang. Not bad, a reasonable substitute for macro lagers. (270 characters)

3.23/5  rDev -3.6%

Served in a pint glass; poured from a cellar temperature bottle. The beer has a golden hue with a bit orange mixed in. There is noticeable carbonation rising within the glass. There was a small white head, but is disappeared very quickly.Virtually no lacing to speak of. It has an average citrus hop aroma. It's pleasant, but unremarkable. It has a typical malty flavor; it's a bit bready and a bit buttery. There is a hop presence, but it is very small. It has a medium body and very little mouth coating. You can really feel the carbonation bubbles. To me, it feels sharp on my tongue. I don't like it all that much, I prefer a smoother lager. The beer is pretty middle-of-the-road when it comes to drinkablity. It goes down all right, but with every sip, I kind of wish I had opened a different bottle. There's nothing wrong with this beer, it's a perfectly well made craft brew, but it's average for the field. There are many other beers I prefer more than this one that I would rather drink, but I would refuse a bottle of the Lager House if it were offered to me. (1,069 characters)

3.23/5  rDev -3.6%

This was the first 'legal' beer I had two years ago with an excellent steak dinner at the Precinct in Cincinnati. This week I tried another bottle at the Southgate House and decided it needed another review. This beer basically tastes like a slightly more flavorful BMC. It is a bit more golden than the others with only a little more taste and smell. The big advantage this has over the big guys is that it's local which raises it a couple notches in my book. While nothing special, I would recommend at least trying it when in the Cincinnati area if for nothing else than to support the local brewery. (603 characters)

3.23/5  rDev -3.6%

Pours a clear amber with fast fading 2 finger white head, spotty lacing. Smell: light toastiness, grain, husk, maybe a little lemon, veggieness. Taste: biscuity, grassy, lemon, a little honey and husk. Generally subdued, I'm not getting that light spiciness I expected. Light bodied, active carbonation, semi sticky / semi dry finish. This one didn't really do it for me, though I liked their ofest. (399 characters)

3.3/5  rDev -1.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

White head. Clear with a golden color.

Flavor profile is of earthy, grassy hops. Biscuit and cracker malt flavors. Reminds me slightly of a pils, but kind of bland.

Mouthfeel: crisp and clean. Ends kind of dry.

Overall, for how light this was I enjoyed it. It represented the style fairly well. The blandness was the only bad part. (335 characters)

first ‹ prev | 1-25 | 26-50 | 51-75  | next › last
Christian Moerlein Lager House Original Golden Helles from Christian Moerlein Brewing Company