Trumer Pils - Trumer Brauerei Berkeley

Trumer PilsTrumer Pils

Trumer Brauerei Berkeley visit their website

German Pilsener |  4.80% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 09-11-2003)
Reviews by BearslikeBeers:
3.13/5  rDev -17.4%
look: 3 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Living in Berkeley I see these all over the place but had never really sat down to review it on here.
Trumer pours a very clear yellow and is highly carbonated so a big, fine, head forms without too much lace. The aroma is bready and malty and reminds me of more common Euro Style Pils. Very pale malts lead to a very bitter flavor that is nice but a little overpowering by the end of a bottle or two. Overall it is drinkable but there isn't anything that really stands out or really draws me back to it. Trumer Pils is a little too carbonated for my taste and the bitter after-taste comes in a little too strong for the style of pilsner I am used to.

3.38/5  rDev -10.8%

Poured a slightly hazy straw hazy for whatever reason not sure maybe just a chill haze with a nice fluffy head.I picked up some iron on the nose as well some herbal/grassy hops very fresh aroma appetizing.Taste is lean with hops dominating I think a thin malt backbone doesnt quite stand up to the herbal notes of this beer.A light easy drinker a nice one to try but pretty uninspiring.

4.03/5  rDev +6.3%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Presentation: 12 oz green bottle with raised glass of “Trumer Pils” around the bottom of the neck. A faint laser printed freshness date of 072505 is on the neck of the bottle.

Appearance: Bubbly golden straw hue, decent lace with a good retention. Clarity is perfect.

Smell: Fresh cut hay, lemon zest and a faint biscuity maltiness.

Taste & Mouth Feel: Moderate body with a long drawn out crispness, fresh lemon herbal hop with a solid bitterness. Hop flavor seems to linger for a good while. Firm dry malt character leaves a small trace of sweetness and very little in the after taste. Faint hops in the dry finish.

Drinkability & Notes: A pretty remarkable German Pilsner being that it is brewed in the US. Right up there with the rest of my favorites; König Pilsener, Organic Ur Pils or Würzburger Hofbräu Premium Pilsner.

4.43/5  rDev +16.9%

"It's naht a Trumer!" says Arnie.

330mL Austrian import Trumer Pils best before 07.05.08, looking and smelling a LOT better than I remember it.

Appearance: Pale straw in colour with low carbonation, a thin, quickly-dissipating head and lots of sticky lacing. Apart from the low carbonation, it looks very enticing - maybe the glass is too clean and there's no site for the bubbles to form, it's not scored at the bottom. Could use more head too.

Smell: Amazing and totally non-skunky grassy hop aromas were flying around me as soon as I opened and poured the bottle, but now that the head's gone I can't smell them any more. Disappointing, I hope I can taste all those green hop field scents that I was getting before. Smells good, but only for a few moments.

Taste: Mmmm, fresh. I think the last Trumer I had was in their early days of import into Australia - it must have become more popular since then because this one is fruity! Pretty impressive for Pilsener hops. Sweet and fruity, can't put my finger on what it tastes like exactly... somewhere between a peach and a sweet red grape. There's also grassy hoppiness, and there's a very refreshing bitterness too. It's not exactly what I'd expect of the style, but I really like it and am going to give it full marks anyway.

Mouthfeel: Astringent thanks to the potent hops - this is important in a beer like this, because it means you don't get sick of the taste! Not overly carbonated though, which is probably a good thing because it would be too acidic and frothy otherwise.

Drinkability: Hell yeah! I'm so glad I can get a fresh-tasting German pilsener that really takes me back to my childhood in a village among the rolling foothills of the Swabian Alps. Lol, makes me imagine that at least.

Overall: Very good beer, but drink it fresh or don't drink it at all.

3.88/5  rDev +2.4%

On Tap

Whisknladle
La Jolla, CA

Light golden yellow with a thin white cap. Dots of lacing down the glass.

Bready, grainy, and grassy aroma. Pleasant, though not overly strong. Nothing at all unpleasant.

Floral and earthy hop presence, along with some grassy flavors, and a grainy and bready malt backbone. Well balanced and incredibly drinkable.

Light to medium bodied. Crisp and clean.

A classic German pilsner (brewed in California) that goes exceptionally well with food.

3.6/5  rDev -5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

Received this as an extra from Arbitrator in a recent trade, thanks!

Appearance- Pours a very straw pale with about a half a finger of fizzy white head. Fairly lively carbonation but head dies back to a thin ring in short order.

Smell- Nose is composed primarily of a touch of grassiness, musty hay, and perhaps a bit of corn. Much of what I would expect from a pilsener, not overly complex, but pretty nice.

Taste- Some musty hops and a crisp grassiness. A hint of corn again on the flavor profile. Fairly direct but refreshing.

Mouthfeel/Drinkability- Mouthfeel is a touch overly aggressive on the carbonation, but pretty spot on for the style. Drinkability is pretty high and this is a pretty solid session beer.

Overall, pretty decent pilsener. I wasn't wowed but a nice session beer nonetheless.

4.7/5  rDev +24%

I must admit, I lived in Salzburg and never drank this beer, since i regularly drank the local augustiner and stiegl beers.

However, I you drank this american version, I was immediately transported back to Austria.

Recently , I have been on a hop kick so this Trumer pils was a welcome change.

Great mouthfeel, hoppy and incredibly drinkable

4.05/5  rDev +6.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

Easily my favorite American pilsner that remains true to its origins. Faint yellow straw like pour, bubbly white head. Mild yeast aroma.

Taste, refreshing, easy to drink, gets the lager yeast mouthfeel just right, packs a good amount of flavor into a light drinkable brew. Seems like they do the saaz and/or glacier hop thing, works well with this pale malt. This is a beer that should satisfy everyone in a room, no matter their tastes nor backgrounds. Hopheads (who aren't completely opposed to a beer that isn't an ipa), chicks, faux euro guy, goateed coffee shop types, beer geeks, moms, dads, I think everyone can like this beer.

From tap poured into the Trumer half litre tall frosted glass had dense thick head, though very little carbonation, so very few bubbles rising. Head kept well as it was drunk. Smell fresh and crisp, with a hint of sweet maltier side, not gassy, and excellent flavour. The usual crispness of a pilsner, but that hint of malt or caramel making it smooth to start, but a good hoppy bitterness in the finish, so making it well balanced and very pleasant. I would rank it as one of the best Pils type beers I have had. Had this regularly in several bars while staying in Salzburg and it was consistently good. In Salzburg area of Austria it is also well thought of as one of the best beers, and deservedly so. Not yet tried it from the bottle, but would imagine it is just as good if from same origin in Austria.

John W
B'ham UK March 2006

2.68/5  rDev -29.3%

(Served in a Imperial Strange)

A- This beer has a crystal clear pale yellow body with a huge carbonation of big bubbles racing to the surface. The head is a thick rocky pure white meringue that last and last.

S- This beer has a light sulfury dry noble hop smell that is pretty clean.

T- The taste has a dry faint noble hop bitterness that doesn't have much depth. As it warms a hint of pale malt with a slight cooked corn hint followed by a club soda finish.

M- This beer has a very light mouthfeel with a crisp bite in the finish.

D- This beer is pretty flavorless even when it is not ice cold. It wasn't very interesting with the only many flavor being the light punch of bitter noble hops.

3.5/5  rDev -7.7%

A very pale yellow color but shining as brightly as I thought it would, this one grows just more than half a finger of fluffy white head that drops down some pretty strong lace.
I like the impression and the feel the green bottle and the traditional very German presentation, but the green glass does make me wonder. Still, I get no skunk and only a slight note of sulfur I might expect from the hops. There's quite a bit of lemon and herb in both the aroma and flavor. The impression is of lemongrass and citrus, but with a bit of a sting. I find the esters to build up a bit too strongly through the session. Otherwise, this is absolutely a solid pils.
It's crisp and light, plenty refreshing, but that bite does build. It's clean for most of the way through until it catches up.

4.25/5  rDev +12.1%

It always puzzles me why I cannot find this beer easily in Los Angeles. In the Bay Area, every corner liquor shop has this everywhere.

It's a fine, easy-drinking pilsener. Everything about it shouts "session time". Nice straw color with a minimal head. Nice and balanced with a slight more hop kick than a German made beer in this style. The only drawback is the green bottling, I've come across some sun contaminated ones that have made me sad.

4.43/5  rDev +16.9%

I was VERY leary about trying this beer seeing as it comes in a green bottle. Personally, I dislike skunks.
Surprise!
Pours a pale golden with large carbonation bubbles creating a half finger of quickly melting head.
Aroma is clean and fresh and light....citrus notes, bright hops, a little earth.
Taste is delightfully light and clean and 'bright'....again, very pale malts, light citrus and floral tones, bright mild hops on the end.
No aftertaste to speak up.
This is a delightful and refreshing Pils.
Glad I took the chance.

3.75/5  rDev -1.1%

Clear and golden color and small white fast fading head. Aroma is rather pleasant. Sweet and spicy, with some lemon. Soft toasty malts and good noble/saaz hops. Taste has nice hops too. Still spicey and a mildly lemony. Nice and uplifting. Mouthfeel is nice and dry with a complimentary tingly carbonation. I find this very easy to drink as well.

Good to drink and good to smell.

Trumer Pils from Trumer Brauerei Berkeley