Microbrew Invitational

Style: German Pilsener

Added by BeerAdvocate on 09-11-2003

Reviews: 258 | Ratings: 577
3.2/5  rDev -16%

I had this Beer from an all around the world combo pack I got at the World Market. I honestly couldn't taste what people get excited about with this beer. It was fine, but nothing special. It's biggest problem is that I couldn't taste a unique timbre I look for in every beer I drink, it just tasted very standard to me.

3.03/5  rDev -20.5%

Poured into pilsner glass.

A - Poured clear pale yellow straw color with big white head that quickly dissipated leaving slight lacing around the glass.

S - Grassy and earthy with slight scent of hops.

T - Grains predominate with slight hay and malt flavor. Somewhat watery with not much there.

M - Light bodied with high carbonation.

O - Ordinary pilsner that's too watery and no crispness. With not much standing out I would not recommend it.

2.83/5  rDev -25.7%

This is a decent beer that is very easy to drink. Easy to drink most of the time means lacking of taste. Yes, i think this beer is a little too watery in a way, but it is totally drinkable.

A. The color is too pale. The head disappear in seconds.

S. Normal beer smell, nothing very special to it.

T. I can taste a little sweetness in it, no much bitterness. It is definitely easy to drink.

M. Mouthfeel is actually good. It is a above good standard. I can notice honey and some kind of sweetness inside the beer.

O. Not a bad beer, nor a good beer. I think this is an average beer. Maybe just a little above average. But it is surely very drinkable.

3.85/5  rDev +1%

On Tap

Whisknladle
La Jolla, CA

Light golden yellow with a thin white cap. Dots of lacing down the glass.

Bready, grainy, and grassy aroma. Pleasant, though not overly strong. Nothing at all unpleasant.

Floral and earthy hop presence, along with some grassy flavors, and a grainy and bready malt backbone. Well balanced and incredibly drinkable.

Light to medium bodied. Crisp and clean.

A classic German pilsner (brewed in California) that goes exceptionally well with food.

2.7/5  rDev -29.1%

It smells like old, treated wood. Not something I'd want to put in my mouth

Appearance is dull and not quite clear. The fizz lasts the perfect amount.

The taste is average. It tastes very... beer. Plato might give it a 10 in beerness.

The mouthfeel is smooth and doesn't have any slime.

The taste was pretty average though, so I'm not complaining. I wouldn't buy a six pack, though.

Poured into a Stange glass. I have to say the label fooled me, I really thought this was German until I looked closer!

Pours with a light golden-accented straw yellow body under three fingers of pure white sticky, fluffy head.

As expected, just after the bottle is opened, the strong aroma of sulfur is released and it dominates all the other smells. Within a few minutes however, this has totally dissipated and uncovered a wonderful concoction of very light, toasty, slightly sticky malts, paired with grassy zesty noble hops.

The flavor is initially quite good, and displays some pale malts and a fair dose of noble hops. Within a few sips I find that my first complaint is that the hops are more bitter than they are flavorful, and this biting bitterness detracts from the malts. As I continue to drink I think I am totally fine with the hops the way they are, but I wish there was more malt to give the white-bread-toast flavors that often go hand in hand with spicy hops in beers of this style. There is an "almost" off flavor in the aftertaste, but it never rears it head and thus my respect remains. The end is very dry, and quite tasty.

The mouthfeel is light with higher carbonation, as I would expect for this style. The hops and carbonation feel a bit spicy and zesty in concert, and I expect nothing less.

Conclusion: Before finishing this beer I paired it with some sharp cheddar to see how that would affect the flavor. Overall I feel that this beer knows what it is doing and is doing it well. This is a great pilsner, and my previous hesitation was due to the fact that this beer attacks with palate without asking permission- which is a great thing in my opinion.

3.63/5  rDev -4.7%

Bottle from Safeway market in Manteca, CA

A - Poured a straw color with a white head that leaves lacing behind

S - Is of grassy hops with light pale malt

T - Like the nose grassy hops on top of some pale malt

M - This beer has a light body with higher carbonation to it

O - This is a good everyday type of beer thats easy to drink tastes good that you can drink a number of because its light and refreshing that helps out on hot days worth a try and I'm not a big pils person

4.36/5  rDev +14.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

This is one of my favorite pilseners. I'm really glad they started brewing this one in Berkeley. It's smooth, crisp and light but flavorful. A go-to beer for me whenever I'm in the Bay Area or anywhere this beer is served. An exemplary German pils.

3.92/5  rDev +2.9%

12 oz. green bottle,

A: Pours a clear blond with a medium white head, good retention, some spotty lace.

S: Strong grassy and floral hops, light bready malt.

T: High hop flavour for the style. Hay, flowers, some almost cilantro like herbal character, interesting mix.

M: Light-bodied, frothy carbonation, not as crisp as I'd like though.

O: A good pilsner for sure, but what's with the green bottles, you'd think an American brewery would know better, especially in this style.

On tap poured into a shaker pint glass. Beer poured a clear straw, light yellow color with a finger of white foamy head. Head dissipated quickly to a thin film on the surface, with some light lacing. Well carbonated with plenty of small bubbles floating slowly up from the bottom of the glass.

Nose is a nice sweet floral hops, fresh grass, honey, and biscuit malts.

Taste follows the nose exactly, light floral and grassy hops, very fresh, with light bitterness, and a good amount sweet honeyed grains and biscuit malt. Finish is very clean, slightly dry on the tongue with lingering floral hop flavor.

Light body, smooth ample carbonation that softly scrubs the tongue clean with each sip. Refreshing and easy to drink.

4.1/5  rDev +7.6%

On-tap at Blue Palms

A: The beer pours a very pale yellow color with a fizzy white head.

S: Sweet pale malts to begin with a very fruity ester profile. There are lots of floral and earthy hops to the nose as well as a light cracker malt aroma. Just a touch of grass in the background.

T: As with the flavor, sweet pale, cracker malts with plenty of fruity esters. The floral and earthy hops are plentiful and give a nice flavor to the beer. A light bitterness and slight dryness on the finish.

M: Fairly light in body with a medium level of carbonation.

O: Always a good choice for a refreshing beer. Solid stuff.

3.28/5  rDev -13.9%

On draft at Gastropub 775 in Reno, NV on July 26 2011.

This poured a light golden color. The head was average but left a great white sticky lacing.

The beer was acidic up front (not in a bad way). It has a spicy and doughy taste, fairly well balanced. This tastes like... beer.

The beer had tight carbonation. Ultimately the beer was slightly drying.

Not bad but not a favorite.

3.85/5  rDev +1%

Sampled at Fatted Calf, in San Francisco.

Trumer Pils has a faint filminess to it, a lemon juice complexion that just so happens to match its lemon-y colour. At certain angles, it appears an almost lime hue and transparency is briefly drawn into question (although it remains always perfectly intact). Its head is foamy and agitated, as if it just came across the Bay by boat.

Sampling from a keg - rather than the green glass bottle - I am fortunately able to enjoy all the wonderful scents pilsners have to offer, namely those of the wonderfully fragrant Saaz hop. This is the traditional variety used in pilsner recipes (and judging by smell Trumer followed that textbook to the letter). It is kind of soapy, with a lemon-scented zest.

And it packs a tweezers-sized spice, one that animates the graininess and bready malts like they were in the Disney movie Fantasia. These hops are bitter but when used sparingly (which they have) they allow plenty of malt flavour to come through while at the same time perspiring a good amount of lemon zest and grassy herbals. Their oils scrub the palate dry.

Trumer Pils is about as ubiquitous around these parts as anything Bud, Miller or Coors puts out. What lucky people. To have access to such an approachable, light-bodied beer that is also full of flavour is a blessing. It'd be nice to know that there's almost always a solid, local alternative available to the mass-produced junk. I'd take this 11 times out 10.

Trumer Pils affords the people of the Bay Area a taste of what fresh and honest German (or Austrian) pilsners are really like; it's very rare to find such clean malt and zesty hop character in the emasculated and heavily pasteurized bottles and cans that find their way over here from Europe. These guys may only brew one beer, but they brew it exceptionally well.

3.65/5  rDev -4.2%

Nicely poured beer with a fantastic head; fluffy, soapy, soft and lasting with a fine delicate lacing left behind. The liquid is slightly hazed and lively bubbles visible. The smell is hay-like, almost grassy, with a sweet cracker like background aroma. Better than most. Taste is balanced, with a crisp hop intro, moving to biscuity malts with a kiss of sweetness and finishing on slightly bitter, west cop hoppiness that never gets too much. Everything stays nicely in check, nothing wild, a understated pils that still has flavor. Mouthfeel is a little over carbonated, too much roughness but decent for a pils.

Overall, pretty good. I'm not blown away like the Paulaner, but am satisfied as far as an Americanized German pilsner goes. Good hopping done in this one.

4.22/5  rDev +10.8%

Really nice light straw colour, with a good white head that stays around for ages, excellent lacing.

Lots of spicy hops here, it smells crisp with a light floral aroma to balance the hops.

It tastes fantastic! It is very clean and crisp. The spicy hop aroma does not disappoint and hangs around for a long time.

Mouthfeel is spectacular! It has a very light feel without compromising on the hops. Leaves a sweet tingling in the back of the mouth.

Overall this is an excellent beer. I love Pilsners and this is one of the best I've had. It's incredibly drinkable at well!

4.08/5  rDev +7.1%

Have been interested in trying this for a while, and when I saw a case for $15 at Costco, I jumped on it.

Pours a bright and crystal clear light gold color, lots of bubbles, a nice white head, and good lacing. Looks inviting.

Aromas are dry, dough like, grassy, and floral. Nice nose.

Tastes clean, crisp and dry. Floral, with some light peppery spice, lemon zest, and light yeasty bread dough. Finish has a light mineral and floral hop bite.

Mouthfeel is quite nice, very full, smooth, but not heavy at all.

Overall, a very nice and solid Pilsener, I am not at all upset that I have 23 more bottles to drink, very good stuff.

look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

Easily my favorite American pilsner that remains true to its origins. Faint yellow straw like pour, bubbly white head. Mild yeast aroma.

Taste, refreshing, easy to drink, gets the lager yeast mouthfeel just right, packs a good amount of flavor into a light drinkable brew. Seems like they do the saaz and/or glacier hop thing, works well with this pale malt. This is a beer that should satisfy everyone in a room, no matter their tastes nor backgrounds. Hopheads (who aren't completely opposed to a beer that isn't an ipa), chicks, faux euro guy, goateed coffee shop types, beer geeks, moms, dads, I think everyone can like this beer.

3.9/5  rDev +2.4%

On draft at the Whip In in Austin, Texas.

Appearance (3.5): A very clear straw yellow. Not much head which reduces to nearly nothing. It's got some legs though. A bit of lacing at the top but not much beyond that.

Smell (3.5): Not a whole lot here. Strong spicy hops for the style, but not much in the way of grains. Clean.

Taste (4): The spicy hops hit immediately up front and are even a bit floral. Tastes like Saaz and a lot of it. A bit thin up front but this fills out a bit and leaves a little sweetness to complement the floral hops on the back end.

Mouthfeel (4.5): The carbonation is noticeable right away. Dances on the front of the tongue. High carbonation and light to medium body. Slick at first but the hops stick around and a leaves a lingering spiciness in the back on the roof of the mouth.

Overall (4): I had heard very good things about this one and we don't get it out East so I was excited to try it. It's definitely a solid version of this style - a bit Americanized perhaps which is just fine with me - but it doesn't strike me as a beer worth raving about. Maybe that's just the bold/big bias...

3.88/5  rDev +1.8%

12oz bottle poured into... well, a short plastic shaker glass. Sometimes you need to improvise? Huge thanks to madvermin for setting me up with this; first craft beer I've had in weeks.

A: Pours a clear golden yellow, with tons of carb bubbles streaming up from the bottom of the glass. Two fingers of frothy white head; while it doesn't retain for a particularly long time, there's a good amount of lacing (so my below average glass was beer clean, at worst).

S: Lots of grassy hops here; very green smelling, crisp and fresh. Pleasant malty sweetness breezes through to balance the aroma.

T: Not to overemphasize balance in light of this beer's good flavor, but balance is all I can think about here. Flashing back and forth from bitter to sweet (with bitter just winning out in the end), this is a beer that I want my mouth to hold on to for a while. The hop flavors are strong enough that my first impressions of the flavor quality are of grass and herbs, but a strong, biscuity backbone is hugely noticeable as well. Incredibly strong flavor for the style, and greatly appreciated.

M: Thin-bodied, moderately carbonated, smooth on the way down, with a crisp and mostly dry finish.

O: Good, enjoyable pilsener- hard to spot flaws here. Pick it up if you get a chance.

4.2/5  rDev +10.2%

I've had this several times before and loved it each time. Had it on tap tonight at a Chinese restaurant. It was served in a Pilsner glass. The carbonation was lower than when I've had it in the past, but the taste was spot on.

A - straw to light yellow with a one finger white head. Nice spider web lacing down the sides.

S - Yeasty doughy smell, plus noble hops coming through. A bit fruity as well.

T- Similar to the smell. Very refreshing with a noble hop taste finish. [Edit: Just noticed that another reviewer said "cracker like" and I'll adopt that as well. Certainly came through in a pleasing way. (I don't read other reviews until after I post mine, so sorry for the edit.)]

M - Light and refreshing, though less carbonated this time than in the past.

D- Very drinkable session pils.

Overall, I love this pilsner. I will admit I'm partial to it because it is brewed locally in Berkeley, CA, but I think it is outstanding nonetheless.

4.06/5  rDev +6.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

What a great beer. We got this on draft at my local bar and I must say, I was impressed. It is incredible refreshing and has just the perfect amount of bite to it.

The appearance is flawless. It has a great golden color to it that sits underneath a crisp and frothy white head. Once the beer is drank, nice thin lacing lines are all over the glass. It has a clarity like no other, a look that shows the true quality of this pilsener.

The smell is light, with no overwhelmingly strong aromas. It has some noticeable biscuit and cracker, with a touch of spicy hop.

A great drinking beer to say the least. It has a nice malty mouthfeel with a few different bites. It has a great hop bite that comes first, its very balanced with the malts. It also has a great carbonation and finish, this is truly a beer you want after a hard days labor.

Great crisp mouthfeel with a clean flavor, this is a great pils.

4.67/5  rDev +22.6%

I must admit, I lived in Salzburg and never drank this beer, since i regularly drank the local augustiner and stiegl beers.

However, I you drank this american version, I was immediately transported back to Austria.

Recently , I have been on a hop kick so this Trumer pils was a welcome change.

Great mouthfeel, hoppy and incredibly drinkable

4.18/5  rDev +9.7%

Pours a glassy clear very, very pale straw yellow, with a billowing angelic white head that leaves spotty lace, rather than rungs or sheets. dissipates into a one finger cap that is irregular and rocky. Very pretty looking beer.

Smells cleanly hoppy and a bit floral, with some grainy malt to balance the nose out. Pretty crisp.

Taste has a lot more malt than the nose, but there is enough lightly bitter hops to make this a well balanced beer. Extremely light in all phases, as the malt at the start fades quickly to the pleasantly oily and herbal hops. The hops are not too strong either, offering just the right strength of flavor to complement the malt. Normally when I taste a beer I am looking for something unique, something strong, or a combination of both, but this beer wins me over with its delicate balance.

Mouthfeel is great, as the beer is smooth, clean, crisp, and the finish is quick and neutral. A light floral sensation is left on the tongue, but aside from that this beer sets you right up for the next swig. Abv of 4.8% makes this incredibly sessionable as well. Probably would pick this over just about any other beer if I was at an outdoor sporting event.

4.1/5  rDev +7.6%

Had a couple pints on tap at the Gingerman in Austin. Man, I wish this were available out east. I'd just had a Live Oak Pilz, which was a wonderfully hoppy take on the style. This by comparison has a balance between the hops and malt while still having a huge flavor impact. The malts are smooth, dry and bready. The hops are a lemon and herbal spice blend. Very drinkable and very tasty.

3.75/5  rDev -1.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

On-tap at the Local Taphouse. One of their regulars, but one I'd not gotten around to reviewing before.

Pours a clear and bright light yellow colour. Foamy, big bubbled head of crackling white that leaves good lagery lacing.

Nose is gritty and slightly grainy, giving that classic, slightly phenolic German astringency. Bit of noble hop character which greens it a little. Nice.

Fresh and crisp palate. Light and bright and very clean. Some grain depth to the mid and a smooth dry finish with a light bite of acid. Feel is crisp and light.

Extremely drinkable beer, and a good example with Pilsener is a great style. A good German style exemplar.

Trumer Pils from Trumer Brauerei Berkeley