Nimbus Pale Ale - Nimbus Brewing Company

Nimbus Pale AleNimbus Pale Ale

Nimbus Brewing Company visit their website
Arizona, United States

American Pale Ale (APA) |  5.50% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 05-05-2002)
Reviews by uabigdaz:
3.85/5  rDev +14.9%

I'm sitting here looking at this beer I just poured gently, and it has an incredable amount of head. Very foamy, and takes a while to settle down in order to be ready to drink.

Apperance is rather darker than I am used to for pale ale, also is quite hazy with some sediment hanging around.

Smells good, a lot of hops evident, with little malt smell also present.

The taste is extremely hoppy, overwhelmingly bitter if you do not like hops, however, I've always been a hop person, so this beer is very tasty to me. Feels smooth in your mouth, a little on the heavy side, not a beer to grab for refreshment sake.

Nimbus Old Monkeyshine is still my favorite Nimbus brew, but this is a good alternate when I've had too many monkeyshines at their tap room and need some hops taste to balance myself out.

3.93/5  rDev +17.3%

A - Came from the tap with a nice golden/copper combination color pretty typical of the style. Did not have a lot of head and the little head it had faded pretty quickly and was gone when I was about half though with the glass.

S - Had a nice citrusy hop smell with some good malt character. I was thirsty and this beer just made me more so before I took my first swig.

T - Very refreshing clean taste. It had a good hop pop and you could taste the Cascades in there. Some nice citrus flavors that were well balanced with the caramel malt flavors.

M - I thought it could have used a little more carbonation but was pretty smooth and not offensive at all.

D - This was a very refreshing beer stepping into the brewery from the 105+ degree heat. I could definitely drink this as a session beer and enjoy each one.

Overall, I thought this was a good American Pale Ale. I was a bit surprised to read some of the reviews here that were fairly negative. I did have this directly from a keg at the brewery (with a really good burger I must add) and was very happy with it. It was certainly not perfect, but I enjoyed it quite a bit.

2.42/5  rDev -27.8%

Geez...foam erupts on the pour...nearly shot up out of my pint glass there was so much. Slow to reduce too. Leaves a nice spattering of lace though. Light colored body...yellowish with just a tiny bit of orange.

Pine and citrus dominate the aroma, Amarillo hops jump out at me. Kinda sweet overall, mostly hops w/o much malt presence.

Kinda blah in the flavor department, just not much there outside of the bitterness with only comes through with a touch of resin. Not much malts to speak of again. Unbalanced overall.

Mouthfeel is thin and with all the carbonation it still seems kinda flat. Drinkability suffers with all that was mentioned above.

3.3/5  rDev -1.5%

Poured from 12 oz bottle with date code of November 2007 into a pint glass.

Pours a light gold color with small head that forms into lacing atop the brew.

Smell is of hops and citrus.

Taste is classic American Pale Ale - Hoppy with intense bitter notes. Great citrus (lime?) on the finish. Good finish, really good beer. I've had this one in the past; need to start buying it again.

2.78/5  rDev -17%
look: 3.75 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.75

Review based on two 12 oz bottles which had come from the distriibutor (GA) in April 2014. Sampled about 1 week apart starting just a few days later that same month (April). Bottle shows date of Feb. 2014.

Durable bone-colored head over an amber body.

Fruity aroma with an off-note. Likewise, the flavor, though partly pleasing, is rather odd with a mildly tart note of lemons and unripe apricots. Second bottle may have been a bit better but stil wierd, with a surprising and unmistakable tartness. Ratings remained nearly unchanged.

O: infected bottle? Doesn't bear the common characterisitcs. Suspicious looking spotty sediment on the bottom of the bottle.

2.8/5  rDev -16.4%

A fairly decent attempt at the style. Pours a chill hazed golden yellow with a moderate white head that melts too quickly to a thin ring of white.
Aroma was too full of butter to notice anything else, unfortunately.
Mouthfeel is tingly with tiny carbonation and citrus hops.
Taste is mildly sweet malt, then suddenly citrus peel bitter hops.
Finish is clean and dry with just a bit of citrus peel lingering on.

3.78/5  rDev +12.8%

I think the Pale Ale might be the same as the Unfiltered Pale Ale, for which there is only one review.

Hazy straw color with a large rocky white head that leaves good lacing. There is a good bit of sediment so I recommend leaving a little in the bottle. Floral bouquet, with a strong pollen character. It begins grainy, almost like chewing on two-row malts but finishes with a long hop layer that progressively intensifies. It is a little bit sandy but the lingering bitterness is very nice.

3.65/5  rDev +9%

A good white head on a moderate golden yellow body. Malt and hop aroma. Gently drinkable,citrus, well malted. C Hops well contained, while grapefruity lemon, in a melange of malt. Satisfying and well carbonated. Some creaminess in the mouthfeel.Thank you Solomon420.

4.08/5  rDev +21.8%

Even carefully poured, the golden body is quite hazy with small floating particles of yeast sediment. It's topped by a short creamy white head that holds well, and eventually drops to a creamy collar which leaves some nice lace throughout the glass. The nose is softly fruity, floral and sweetly citrusy - nice! The body is light, creamy and smooth across the palate with a very fine and moderate carbonation. The flavor presents a light fruitiness and a gentle floral, citrusy & grassy hop flavor over lightly sweet malt. The bitterness is solid and runs from start to finish, but balances well without ever dominating. A combination of softly sweet malt, light citrusy hop flavor and drying bitterness lingers in the aftertaste. Nicely done.

3.6/5  rDev +7.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

From old, neglected notes…

Hazy, pale yellow-white in hue with the slightest golden highlight interwoven; the liquid is an odd color for the style. Massive white head, there was a fist of foam at the apex. Head retention was excellent but that is to be expected with so much foam. There was tons of lace, it looked like tatter wallpaper. A half finger cap lasted the entire consumption. Even with the abnormal color I really like the appearance.

The nose is of sweet citrus candy and lemon rinds soaked in some sort of barley soda. The nose doesn’t jump out of the glass like an APA but the modest aromas are pleasant… and unique. I’ll call the smells inviting but in the back of my mind I am a bid worried about the sweetness.

The palate is not as sweet as I feared which, IMO, is a good thing. I’m also finding a very pleasant array of woody, piney notes which are louder than the citrus flavors. Nice. The malt provides some cracker-caramel flavors; the malt is quite secondary however. It is vaguely flowery at the back. The finish is uneventful, sweet with citrus and pine notes. This is a solid APA.

Medium in body, prickly carbonation, the mouthfeel fits this beer very well; it is lively without being annoying.

Plenty drinkable, I could kick back and quaff a few of these because it is simple and yet elegant. This might even be a good crossover beer. For sure this beer would work great for tailgating and the like. Thanks Aunt Kathy and Uncle Rick for shipping this sample to me all the way from AZ. Worth a try, IMO.

3.6/5  rDev +7.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

I must say that I dont drink too many pale ales as I mainly drink tripel, dubbel and barleywine ales. But this one has turned me on to the taste of the hops and to pale ale!

The colour as I poured it into the pint glass was nice clear orangish hue with bubbles rising quickly. Atop of this pint of golden nectar was a nice 2 finger head. The aroma was apparent...HOPS...but not overkill. I am not sure what to write as I dont have much experience in Pale Ales, but I do know that I liked the aroma. Now on to the taste. Hops is also apparent in the taste, but that is to be expected. Again, here I also liked this taste. I didnt think it was over bearing at all, nice mellow aftertaste with a quick bite at the very end. It was easy to drink and I quickly grabbed a second one after this initial tasting.

Perhaps once I partake in more beers from this style, I can form new different opinions and will re-rate this beer.

2.65/5  rDev -20.9%

Pours a clear pale yellow color with little to no white head with little lacing to speak of.

Smells of light pale malts and citrus hops.

Tastes of bitterness on top of some pale malt sweetness. Hops are bitter, but there is little hop flavor. A little citrus makes an appearance, but this beer seems pretty bland. Pale malts are evident with some grain sweetness.

Mouthfeel is light and thin.

3.9/5  rDev +16.4%

Pale yellow, with a fat head. Suspended particles mix with carbonation, presenting a very active appearance. Head dies leaving chunky lace. Not much to the nose, but if you really get in there, swirl and huff, you pick up a bit of hops. Slightly fruity, drying. Not overburdened with flavor, but not bad either. Pretty mild malt presence. Finishes tartly.

2.75/5  rDev -17.9%