Nimbus Nut Brown Ale - Nimbus Brewing Company

good

Nimbus Brewing Company visit their website
Arizona, United States

English Brown Ale |  5.00% ABV

(Beer added by: mzwolinski on 11-23-2002)
Reviews by TXHops:
3.5/5  rDev -2.5%

Ahh Nimbus. The people with probably the worst brewery web site ever (as of the time of the review at least)…

Nimbus Brown Ale really actually looks brown. So many brown ales look black, or even reddish in normal light. Of course, a bright light can tease some red through the dark body, but ambient room lighting reveals a truly brown beer, juxtaposed aesthetically well below a tan head that fades a little faster than I would have hoped. A moderate aroma of dry, chocolate malts and highly roasted coffee beans sets the stage for a roast-fest, which is exactly what this beer offers. I drank a lot of this beer while on my recent Tucson visit and I was impressed with the roastiness I got. It’s not so much chewy, or sweet, or toasty, or even burnt, like a Dry Stout. This one is just roasty. It tastes like the skin on a well roasted marshmallow—the kind that DIDN’T catch on fire. The chocolate malt in the aroma becomes increasingly pronounced as the beer warms. The flavor driven by this particular ingredient expands right along with the rising temperatures, lending the characteristic earthy dryness. Slowly, the dryness becomes pretty intense, even as the sweetness builds the closer to room temp the liquid gets. The hops are very understated—sweetness mitigators only.

I’m all for brown ales. In fact, I think they’re an under-appreciate style that I wish brewers would put more effort into, as opposed to brewing one because they think they should. However, this brown ale is not in the style that I really like: it was not quite sweet enough, and the apparently high % of chocolate malt in the grist created a fairly overwhelming presence in the finished beer. In fact the dry earthiness began to border on metallic. Still, this was a good beer. If I were of the ilk that craved chocolate malt earthiness, I would actively search this beer out. It’s not flawed, it’s just not my style. Therefore, I won’t penalize it sharply it for it’s chosen flavor characteristics, which I personally believe lend a slight harshness to the overall character of the beer.

3.65/5  rDev +1.7%

Clear dark caramel with dark amber highlights. Thin off-white head on the pour that reduced to nearly nothing, but left this strange spotty bubble patch in the center of the glass. Unusual head remnants...but I digress. Pretty big penalty for no head retention on this low abv brew, everything else is okay though.

Very chocolaty and toffee-like in the aroma. More so that I usually associate with a brown ale, but I like this as most browns seem to offer light, slightly sweet aromas. But this one is a touch sweet too, but there is just more too it. Has a bit of hazlenut to it and some light floral hopping.

Flavor doesn't follow through as strongly as the aroma though, but it is sitll pretty good. Mainly the chocolate flavors aren't as dominant. There is more of a caramel maltiness with evident nutty flavors over the top. Earthy bitterness finishes things off after the swallow.

Mouthfeel is kinda thin, but not too far from the typical of the style that I have run across so far. Carbonation, while not too strong, offers a refreshing crispness.

Good drinkability. Definately an easy drinking brown ale that actually has some flavor compared to others in its class. Goes down easy, too.

3.88/5  rDev +8.1%

Had a strange sour intial smell to it, one I wouldn't associate with a dark brew. That disappeared and gave way to a soft chocolate aroma. First taste was cocoaish and roasted malt, very nice texture, seemed to want to go dry, but a little sweetness emerged with each sip, like there might be honey in it.I'll buy it again.

3.59/5  rDev 0%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

12 oz bottle poured into a snifter (bottled on?) date stamp of Nov/Dec.

Beer is clear dark brown but nearly opaque in the glass.
Small tan head quickly reduced to a thin partial crown leaving spotty lacing.

Aroma: Medium malts, toffee, chocolate and a hint of roasted nuts and vanilla.

Flavor: caramel and medium roasted malts and a touch of vanilla. Good sweet/bitter balance. A touch of smoke in the aftertaste.

Mouthfeel: smooth; coarse, medium carbonation imparts a bit of tingle. Medium body.

Overall: a modestly better than average nut brown ale.

4.25/5  rDev +18.4%

3.4/5  rDev -5.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

A fine brown, creamy and licorice aroma and taste, I think Solomon420 sent this hitchiker, but I stand to be corrected. A bit of creaminess on chocolate brown colour. A tad aggressive carbonation, altogether serviceable but just another brown, I wonder why.

3.58/5  rDev -0.3%

I don't normally remark on the packaging, but it appears that they have their own unique shaped bottle with an "nb" raised in several places around the neck. Very distinct with a nice label as well! A slightly hazy, deep russett body is topped by a full, big-bubbled foamy head that holds exceptionally well and leaves nice lace throughout the glass. The aroma is perfumy - floral but also soapy - over a mildly nutty malt. The body is medium/light but a somewhat aggressive carbonation foams up in the mouth giving it a larger impression. The flavor is softly malty with some light caramel and chocolate, as well as a good amount of grassy and earthy hop flavor. It finishes dry with some astringency and a lingering earthy hop flavor - and another touch of the soapiness initially found in the aroma! Personally, I also found the full level of carbonation a bit unsettling as it masked some of the subtler malt flavors, and I couldn't really enjoy the beer until it settled down a bit. Not really worth the effort although the label was nice!

3.63/5  rDev +1.1%

Picked up a sixer to share with friends form AJ's. While not amamzing, it's a decent brown ale with a little hops accent. The aroma has a big dark chocolate character, while the flavor is tastes more like dark bread crust with a hint of toast. The hops pop in for balance and a nice citrus hit, but this beer is a little sweet. Not a bad brown at all, but I'd consider it more of an American take on the style.

3.58/5  rDev -0.3%

A: Dark brown with a thin, tan head with minimal retention; lacing is average

S: Nutty and grainy qualities dominate; a subtle brown sugary quality persisits as well; fairly tame and subtle aromas overall

T: Nutty maltiness upfront with a bit of caramel sweetness underneath; a touch watery

F: Fairly thin though mouth feel is decent on back end

D: A drinkable and sessionable brown--though the thinness becomes slightly wearing

2.65/5  rDev -26.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

The liquid seems to be clear, tan-brown in hue with a coppery highlight, I like the color. Rocky, massive beige head; there is easily three fingers of foam at the zenith. The bubbles quickly faded to a chunky cap and then a soapy collar, which is par for the course. There was some subsequent spotty lacing, disorganized… I’m indifferent. Overall, I like how this beer looks even though it is nothing special.

Faint aromas, clean malty smells represent notes of caramel, nuts, and charred chocolate. No fruitiness. No hops. The nose says nothing but the absolute basics of the style. I love Brown Ales but this one doesn’t give me much motivation to take a sip. It is simplistic… no, it is boring. Nevertheless, here goes…

The palate is harsh. There are plenty of nutty notes with charred chocolate, astringent qualities. It is vaguely fruity at the back. No sign of hops. The aftertaste is lovely, a toasted maltiness lingers a long while. I love Brown Ales and when I find a great one I rejoice but when I find a dud, I cry a little inside. I am tearing up here. There just isn’t anything going on with this beer. It is nothing more than a shell of what it is suppose to be (or could be). Bummer.

Light in body, low (flat) carbonation, the mouthfeel is very thin which only hurts the palate. It is clear this beer needs more malt, lots more malt. More malt plus some hops and this beer could be a winner. As it is, I’m calling it a dud.

I can’t call this beer drinkable. I don’t want to beat a dead horse but this is a lousy beer. I have little desire to finish my glass. I’d rather have a Third Stone Brown (or dozens of other Brown Ales). Nevertheless, thank you Aunt Kathy and Uncle Rick for shipping this sample to me all the way from AZ.

4.4/5  rDev +22.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

I really like this beer. I had it first from a bottle at Brooklyn Pizza in Tucson, but finally got it on tap at the source.

The color is a quite dark brown, maybe a bit garnet. It was kind of dark in the brewery. Like most of their beers, nice head.

Smell is pleasant and slightly nutty.

A nutty, roasted caramel flavor balances a mild bitterness and subdued hop bite.

Very very drinkable. Goes well with a variety of food (Mexican, pizza, burgers). I think this is a good "gateway" beer for your macro friends.

3.92/5  rDev +9.2%

I used to visit this brewery all the time whilst in college at The University of Arizona (Go Wildcats!). But we mainly only ever drank the Oatmeal Stout via tap. Overall this is a tasty beer. I usually dont drink a lot of brown ales but this one I like. I bought a mixed 6 pack of Nimbus beers at the local shop and I am glad I did.

A: well its a brown ale and it was brown in colour :) Well it was not totally brown as its hue also exhibited reddish tints to it, mahogany really. The head was nice but not too big as I poured it a bit slower than usual, which kept that at bay.

S: nice smelling with some smoke/roasted aromas mixed with hops.

T: well this is always the most important, the taste. It was easy to drink and had a nice pallate of flavours. I could not really dedicate one particular flavor to the profile, but it was tasty none the less. It went down easily and left little or no harsh aftertaste.

I am really glad I chose to keep an open mind when drinking this beer as I enjoyed it very much.

3.25/5  rDev -9.5%

3.98/5  rDev +10.9%

Has a fairly strong roasted coffe aroma that smells more like a porter than a brown ale. Deep brown with a fast fading head tan head. Roasted malts and mild coffee notes affirm the poterish feel of the beer. A pleasant beer that actually is more flavorful than most brown ales. I’d gladly have another.

3.13/5  rDev -12.8%

I'm surprised I have never tried this beer before, I've seen it around but never picked it up. I think I even missed their booth at the AZ Beerfest.
Pours dark brown with a large tan head. Nice lacing.

Aroma is sweet and malty, with a faint scent of hops.

flavor is roasty,light coffee, light chocolate, light bitter.

Highly quaffable. I think I'll be trying more of their beers in the neer future.

3.05/5  rDev -15%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3

Nice dark brown pour with 1 inch head. when first tasting it I kept getting a nutty and toasty caramel flavor but smooth when it goes down. The smell- When I first poured it in to my glass I would get hints of coffee beans. This beer will not be my first choice but I think I would try it again someday.

2.25/5  rDev -37.3%

3.5/5  rDev -2.5%

Pours a clear dark brown, the head is light chocolate, frothy, long lasting, with decent lace. Nose is nutty sweet, malt, caramel, the front is sweet, and the top is middling in its feel. Finish is moderately carbonated, somewhat dry, well hopped, and a quite drinkable beer. A middle of the road "Nut Brown", drinkable and worth a try but may be a bit too sweet for many as it was for me.

3.6/5  rDev +0.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

Originally sampled on 16 May 2003. Nimbus Nut Brown Ale has a nice roasty/toasty aroma with an opaque brown color and a large tan head. The flavor is lightly with a very pleasant nutty taste. It has a a edium body. This is a quite drinkable beer. thanks beerguy101

3.75/5  rDev +4.5%