Nimbus Nut Brown Ale - Nimbus Brewing Company

English Brown Ale |  5.00% ABV

Beer added by: mzwolinski on 11-23-2002

Ratings: 109 | Reviews: 65
4.5/5  rDev +25.3%

Man, this is solid good beer. Totally on the mark for style and session to boot. Poured with a nice sized foamy, frothy, cream colored head that lasts quite a while and lots of lace. Color is a clear, dark walnut. Aroma is nut oil, malt, cocoa, and a little bittersweet. Flavor is exactly the same only jacked up. Body and carbonation are excellent and perfect for the style. Session beer for sure.

4.42/5  rDev +23.1%

A deep, dark brown with a tan head and some lacing. Wow, this beer smells great, distinctly of chocolate and coffee grounds. Taste is more of the same, an excellent roasted bitterness with some chocolatey sweetness to balance it out. I've been extremely impressed with the two Nimbus beers I've had. The Brown Ale is almost robust enough to be a porter. I really wish I had more than one bottle of this.

Many thanks to Gueuzedude for this beer.

4.38/5  rDev +22%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

I really like this beer. I had it first from a bottle at Brooklyn Pizza in Tucson, but finally got it on tap at the source.

The color is a quite dark brown, maybe a bit garnet. It was kind of dark in the brewery. Like most of their beers, nice head.

Smell is pleasant and slightly nutty.

A nutty, roasted caramel flavor balances a mild bitterness and subdued hop bite.

Very very drinkable. Goes well with a variety of food (Mexican, pizza, burgers). I think this is a good "gateway" beer for your macro friends.

4.24/5  rDev +18.1%

love the bottle art and have absolutely no idea whats going on with the jesus de milo monkey. hop arizona nonsense. cool.

pours a real reddish shade of orange, not quite brown. head appears, then disappears, and a solid thin ring remains floating around an island of haze. some bubbles pop up here and there and new englandy hills of lace show waves from tumbler shaking.

extremely nutty nose, bordering on sweet potato and wood varnish. sweet and pungent, malty with a weird woody smoke. really something different, and i can appreciate it as long as it doesn't taste like sour vegetables.

naah, this is a decent brown. lots of bitterness thanks to a healthy profile of low key hops. you can feel it, and despite the lighter body here, the maple syruppy, nutty malt flavors arrive in the finish. boy, this sure is one light, easy drinking beer. i really wish it was a bit thicker- the flavors being prominent in something so low gravity holds high hopes for an imperial version of same. that would be a beer worth seeking out, alright. hell, this beer is one i wouldn't pass up again.

the more i drink it, the more the hops emerge in the finish.. they start to approach esb level, and i'm liking that. this is a new twist on the brown that combines traditional brown, esb, and west coast pale ale. good way to kick off my new relationship with the nimbus brewery.

4.22/5  rDev +17.5%

Dark brown in color with a two finger, creamy head which persists all the way down, leaving a nice lace along the glass. Bit of sediment at bottom of bottle. Aroma is intensely nutty, with just a bit of caramel. Mouth is malty and sweet. Fairly well-carbonated and gives the impression of being medium bodied, though it becomes more full as the beer warms and the carbonation settles. Slightly dry finish and subtly hopped, with a very pleasant nutty aftertaste.

4.13/5  rDev +15%

courtesy of my secret santa Gueuzedude,

poured a frothy tan colored pillowing head with a nice clear brown color. excellent sweet roasted/toasted grainy nuttiness, caramelly and a bit chocolatly and bready also. Decent amount of hops at first in the taste followed a very balanced and drinkable mouthfeel. decent hop character throughout this brown mostly in the taste and not in the aroma. a very nice a respectable offering here, excellent job imo.
thanks for chance Gueuzedude.

4.07/5  rDev +13.4%

A: Poured a dark, nut colored brown with a solid pillowy head that lingered.
S: Smell was of roasted malt mostly with a hint of earth complimenting it.
T: The flavor i thought was fantastic, some roast but not a lot, with a strong chestnut flavor dominating afterward leading to a dry, almost grassy finish.
M: the feel was the least impressive part of this beer, just average for the style.
O: I would recommend this beer to anyone, and have to all who will listen, I thought it was the best brown I've tried, though I don't claim to be a connoisseur of the style.

4.07/5  rDev +13.4%

Solid performer from the southwest. A clear oak brown greeted me, and I noticed that this bad boy was topped with a ivory head – that died just a bit too quickly.

Nutty and woody aroma, followed by a chocolate cinnamon bun quaff. Sharp almond nuts undertones. This brew was very soft and velvety to quaff, a smooth and satisfying libation.

Thanks to Solomon420 for the desert treat.

4.05/5  rDev +12.8%

12oz brown bottle, no freshness date, served in a 16oz mug

Pours black with hints of dark shining through on the edges of the glass. Very little head when poured gently. Light carbonation. What foam that is present is a light tan. Lacing sticks to the glass nicely.

Smells great, with lots of smokiness, some coffee and hints of dark chocolate. Smells like a good cup of coffee with some powdered chocolate stirred in.

Taste is strong with a smoked taste up front. It slithers down the tongue and some sweetness comes out with the smoked bitterness reappearing on the swallow. The aftertaste is full of smoke and quite dry. Reminds me of the aftertaste of a good cigar. Mouthfeel is rather silky but lacks depth, thanks to the thin carbonation. Mouthfeel seems better when from the tap. Perhaps it's a thin bottle.

*Edit* 2/16/06 - Having had the privelage to try Alaskan's Smoked Porter, I couldn't help but realize a similarity...and a rather distinct one...between the great smoke flavors that dominate both that beer and this one. So if you're looking for that particular taste, and both are available to you, but you would like to be able to spend a bit less, pick up a six pack of this if instead of a bomber of Alaskan (though Alaskan is still the more complex and interesting of the two).

Overall, a very drinkable, interesting brown ale. It's better on tap, but I have yet to take notes while visiting the brewery, so this review is from the bottle. Whatever the vessel, though, I like this beer.

4.04/5  rDev +12.5%

Served in a shaker pint, part of my Arizona trip beers. Beer is brown, almost black with a thin tan head of small bubbles.

Aroma is roasty, almost like coffee.

Beer is medium to light in body, a little sweet, quite roasty, almost smoky in the back. An interesting beer for sure, I'd have it again.

I used to visit this brewery all the time whilst in college at The University of Arizona (Go Wildcats!). But we mainly only ever drank the Oatmeal Stout via tap. Overall this is a tasty beer. I usually dont drink a lot of brown ales but this one I like. I bought a mixed 6 pack of Nimbus beers at the local shop and I am glad I did.

A: well its a brown ale and it was brown in colour :) Well it was not totally brown as its hue also exhibited reddish tints to it, mahogany really. The head was nice but not too big as I poured it a bit slower than usual, which kept that at bay.

S: nice smelling with some smoke/roasted aromas mixed with hops.

T: well this is always the most important, the taste. It was easy to drink and had a nice pallate of flavours. I could not really dedicate one particular flavor to the profile, but it was tasty none the less. It went down easily and left little or no harsh aftertaste.

I am really glad I chose to keep an open mind when drinking this beer as I enjoyed it very much.

Enjoyed this beer on tap at Nimbus Brewery.

A: Pours a dark cloudy brown hue with a thick tan head that slowly dissipates leaving a nice trail.

S: Chocolate malt and hop aroma.

T: Sweet malt flavor with a roasted chocolate malt background and finishes slightly bitter and hoppy.

M: Medium carbonation and medium body.

O: Decent Brown ale – worthy of a try.

saw this beer in a local grocery store and figured i would give a try. Surprisingly a fairly well balanced beer! it's exactly what a nut brown ale is supposed to be. Color was dark with creamy head, had a nutty aroma, drank smooth and easy. Sat extremely well in my mouth and smell wasn't harsh at all, faint coffee hints. Definitely will drink this one again!

3.98/5  rDev +10.9%

I came to Arizona seeking some great beer from many states on the left side of the country, only expecting to try Arizona beers from two of the brew pubs. But I found this beer as well and, drawn in by the whimsical and slightly disturbing label, decided to try it. I'm glad I did.

The beer is certainly brown, I'll give them that. There's an off-white head with little retention but it does leave some pretty lacing.

The smell is of toasted bread and there are some spicy hop notes in there, but I can't place the spices. Maybe the spice is more phenolic than hoppy but I'm pretty sure it's hops.

The taste outstrips the smell, which I find odd since it usually goes the other way. I must say that I was surprised and in a good way. Brown bread with dark fruit, it's malty but not in a sweet way. It's nicely dry, but the finish has some phenols in it which dropped the score a wee bit. So I guess I was wrong in the smell as to where the spice came from. Still, the hops are present in the taste, but more floral than spicy.

My first venture into Arizonan beers is promising. I hope the rest of the beer here can measure up or even surpass this.

3.97/5  rDev +10.6%

Has a fairly strong roasted coffe aroma that smells more like a porter than a brown ale. Deep brown with a fast fading head tan head. Roasted malts and mild coffee notes affirm the poterish feel of the beer. A pleasant beer that actually is more flavorful than most brown ales. I’d gladly have another.

3.97/5  rDev +10.6%

Consumed June 24th, 2012. Poured into a Samuel Adams "perfect pint" glass.

Beer is a clear dark brown with deep maroon highlights when held to sunlight. Moderate pour resulted in a one finger light tan head. Only a couple of minutes later, the head was just a thin crown leaving modest sheeting.

Aroma is roasted nuts, coffee, mocha and caramelized sugar. A dash of nutmeg and vanilla as well.

Flavor is moderately roasted malt and a touch of vanilla to start. A slight metallic midtaste is a flaw, but it fades fast, replaced with a deep, lingering but restrained bitterness akin to coffee. More complex than anticipated.

Mouthfeel is slightly thick, smooth (falling just short of creamy) and has a bit of carbonation tingle to it.

Overall, a better than average brown. I would gladly drink this one again.

3.97/5  rDev +10.6%

Look - Nice and dark. Unable to see through it in the light. Only a little bit of foam.

Smell - Malty, slight molasses aroma. Hopped up a little too for spice affect maybe? Not picking up much of a nut or grain.

Taste - Wonderfully malty, but with a sweeter balance. No bitterness at all. Molasses is still present, with a little more of a roasted coffee bean taste. Not bad at all for the low abv.

Mouthfeel - Very good balance, slightly watery texture with a creamy aftertaste.

Drinkability - This might be one of the finer American-brewed English Brown Ales I've tried. Good balance all around. I would probably not drink this too often only to be able to savor it better when I do.

3.96/5  rDev +10.3%

This beer was reviewed blind as part of the Blind Beer BIF #5

an extra blind from Phelps for a few broken bottles last round.

The bottle cap says Nimbus Brewing Company

A - Pours a clear brown with ruby highlights when held up to the light. There is an inch of tan foam that quickly faded to a layer of fine bubbles leaving some good lacing down the glass.

S - I'm picking up some slight caramel malts and a bit of spiciness. Not alot of aroma going on here

T - But then it hits you...big malty taste, nice sweetness with molasses, some coffee and brown sugar. The aroma leaves no hint of whats to come. It all finishes with a faint bitterness.

M - smooth and creamy mouthfeel, it seems to fill up your mouth and coat your throat like a delicious cough syrup.

D - This is very enjoyable and pretty drinkable. I really am enjoying this one and am guessing that I won't be able to easily get more.

4/3/4.5/4/4

pulling off the brown paper bag to reveal Nimbus Old Monkey Shine English Brown Ale
I really like this beer. Thank you to Phelps for the chance to try it.

3.92/5  rDev +9.2%

Thanks to jcwattsrugger for bringing this back from AZ for me!

Pours medium-to-dark brown with rubyish highlights. A very thin tan head soon becomes a thin wisp and some bubbles, but lacing does stick.

The smell is of cocoa, light roast, citrusy bitterness, pretty spicy, with slight nuttiness.

The taste is of cocoa/chocolate with some roast. Roastiness is porterish. Balancing citric/spicy hops would put it more into American Brown Ale, IMO. It has some nuttiness. It has a bittersweet finish.

The body is on light-side of medium-bodied with laid-back carbonation.

An enjoyable, easy-drinking brown ale. Nicely balanced, though not overly complex or rich. It has a nice aftertaste, to boot.

3.92/5  rDev +9.2%

Appearance: Generally poor head and lacing. Deep brown with reddish undertones. Clear body.

Smell: Roasted malt and molasses.

Taste: Moderate sweetness without much in the way of acidity or bitterness. Average duration.

Mouthfeel: Light body, creamy texture with soft carbonation. Very refreshing for a beer of this color.

Drinkability: One of the best American Brown Ales I have tasted. Balanced, easy to drink, light enough to have a few. If you like Brown Ale, you will like this. Not complex; making it easily forgotten...

3.88/5  rDev +8.1%

A- dark brown (no light during through this thing) fluffy tan head between 1/4" &1/2". Same color lace on the glass.

S- Roasted malts make up majprity of the scent with supoort from faint hints of grain.

T- Grainy immediately but quickly settles with roasted malt and even some hops can be tasted. Roasted malt aftertaste as well, yummy. The taste only gets better as the brew warms.

M- on the thin side, not dry can be coarse, carbontion can be felt as well.

D- I really enjoyed the combo of the hop & roasted malt flavors. this is an experience that i recommend. A good brown ale, wont knock your socks off, but definetly worth a try. I'll be seeing this brew again.

3.87/5  rDev +7.8%

I moved to Tucson earlier this year, and picked up a six-pack of Nimbus Nut Brown Ale because the wiggy artwork on the carrier caught my eye, and I noticed that it's a local brew. Whenever possible, I like to support local micro-breweries, and so I bought this beer. Glad I did; it's a winner!

As stated, it's a nut-brown ale, with just a hint of coppery red. Pours out smoothly, and produces a tan head about 1.5 inches high. Smell and taste are rich and slightly fruity. It's a bit thick and rich for long sessions, but certainly worthy of an occasional quaff. I'll be buying this again, although not on a regular basis.

Update, June 2009: I still like this beer, but now buy the Nimbus Monkeyshine more frequently.

3.85/5  rDev +7.2%

Had a strange sour intial smell to it, one I wouldn't associate with a dark brew. That disappeared and gave way to a soft chocolate aroma. First taste was cocoaish and roasted malt, very nice texture, seemed to want to go dry, but a little sweetness emerged with each sip, like there might be honey in it.I'll buy it again.

3.85/5  rDev +7.2%

Pours a murky brown into my Imperial Pint glass leaving a nice ½ head, which disappears into light skim within 2 minutes or so. It has a nice, light roasted nutty aroma. I think it's like roasted chestnuts a bit, like when you get the very first little hint of it in the air on a NYC street corner.

Initially I was not impressed – but I am not one to give up – and I just don’t drain pour. Maybe it was as it warmed a bit more or maybe I drank too much coffee today and my mouth had to changes gears, but about 1/3 to ½ way through, I began to appreciate the nice light nutty flavor. It is a bit thin but imparts and light dry bitterness on the finish – the hops slowly creeping in there.

Not too bad a brew. Could sit around and quaff a few here and there.

3.8/5  rDev +5.8%

Picked up a single back in early April from Total Wine for $1.29. Bottled in Jan 09.

Beer poured a dark brown with a nice tan head that is leaving lacing behind. Nose is toasted chocolate malts and a hint of floral hops. Taste is good, chocolate nutty malts with a dry hop finish. Mouthfeel is medium bodied and decently smooth. Drinkability is good. I could see this being a tailgate brew for the upcoming season!

Nimbus Nut Brown Ale from Nimbus Brewing Company