1. Extreme Beer Fest tickets go on sale Sat, Sep 27 @ Noon EDT.

Nimbus Nut Brown Ale - Nimbus Brewing Company

Nimbus Nut Brown AleNimbus Nut Brown Ale

good

Nimbus Brewing Company visit their website
Arizona, United States

English Brown Ale |  5.00% ABV

(Beer added by: mzwolinski on 11-23-2002)
1.26/5  rDev -64.8%
look: 2 | smell: 1.25 | taste: 1.25 | feel: 1 | overall: 1.25

Oh god, I don't know if my bottle was out of date or what. I could hardly drink this one, and couldn't even finish it I disliked it so much. Tasted like nasty nuts were cooked into the beer or something, and had a very metal like finish to it. Nearly no head, and barely carbonated at all.

AustinPaul, Apr 30, 2013
2.23/5  rDev -37.7%

12 oz, screw off bottle, via tayner

A: Deep brown with some hints of ruby around bottom, under a small, bubbly white head. Hints of lace and retention.

S: Cocoa powder, a little sour-like character, some roasted malt and nut character.

T: Some cocoa powder again, the slightest sour fruit character that throws it of and should not be there, some sweet maltiness and a little hint of roasted malt in the finish.

M/D: Really thin on the palate, much different than I expected. Hardly any carbonation. The mouthfeel is really a low point on this one, just doesn't feel like much it there. Drinkability isn't bad, but I don't think I would be reaching in the cooler for more.

NCSUdo, Dec 10, 2007
2.25/5  rDev -37.2%

largadeer, Nov 26, 2013
2.35/5  rDev -34.4%

Poured into a tall tumbler, Nimbus Nut Brown Ale is brown with a tan head that leaves foamy lace.

Smell is lightly toasted malt, a bit sweet, caramel.

Taste is malty, a bit sweet, but it's mostly killed by the diacetyl, loads of butterscotch. It's rather phenolic as well, plastic. A little cocoa.

Mouthfeel is a bit watery, light bodied.

Drinkability isn't too high. Not impressed. I bought this at a Scottsdale Bevmo just a few days ago and am still in town, so while it maybe a bad bottle/batch, it's representative of what their local audience would be drinking.

ccrida, Sep 23, 2011
2.5/5  rDev -30.2%

carnoustie7, Feb 24, 2012
2.65/5  rDev -26%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

The liquid seems to be clear, tan-brown in hue with a coppery highlight, I like the color. Rocky, massive beige head; there is easily three fingers of foam at the zenith. The bubbles quickly faded to a chunky cap and then a soapy collar, which is par for the course. There was some subsequent spotty lacing, disorganized… I’m indifferent. Overall, I like how this beer looks even though it is nothing special.

Faint aromas, clean malty smells represent notes of caramel, nuts, and charred chocolate. No fruitiness. No hops. The nose says nothing but the absolute basics of the style. I love Brown Ales but this one doesn’t give me much motivation to take a sip. It is simplistic… no, it is boring. Nevertheless, here goes…

The palate is harsh. There are plenty of nutty notes with charred chocolate, astringent qualities. It is vaguely fruity at the back. No sign of hops. The aftertaste is lovely, a toasted maltiness lingers a long while. I love Brown Ales and when I find a great one I rejoice but when I find a dud, I cry a little inside. I am tearing up here. There just isn’t anything going on with this beer. It is nothing more than a shell of what it is suppose to be (or could be). Bummer.

Light in body, low (flat) carbonation, the mouthfeel is very thin which only hurts the palate. It is clear this beer needs more malt, lots more malt. More malt plus some hops and this beer could be a winner. As it is, I’m calling it a dud.

I can’t call this beer drinkable. I don’t want to beat a dead horse but this is a lousy beer. I have little desire to finish my glass. I’d rather have a Third Stone Brown (or dozens of other Brown Ales). Nevertheless, thank you Aunt Kathy and Uncle Rick for shipping this sample to me all the way from AZ.

bditty187, May 30, 2006

Photchkiss, Jul 21, 2014

danoeltico, Feb 08, 2012

lvoutlawjlh, Aug 17, 2012

benweinfeld, Apr 30, 2012

My 12 oz. bottle is called simply "Brown Ale" and the photo matches the one above...guess I can assume the "Nut" part of the name was dropped??? Picked this up on a recent visit to Tucson for $1.50 at AJ's, my first taste from Nimbus (or from the state of AZ for that matter). The "July" spot is notched along the left side of the label, meaning this is somewhere around 5 months old.

It's got quite an interesting label: a stylized, yet cartoonish, Classical Roman scene of a 'David'-esque figure (with chimpanzee head? and a halo?) being waited upon by a surrounding cadre of servants. ABV listed at 5.0%. Anyone know why the 'N' in "Nimbus" is curiously reversed?

A: Not a very dark brown, more a caramel/cola brown. Held to light this shows a fair amount of haze and plenty of rising carbonation. Head is minimal, maybe a 1/4" of creamy white (at best), that drops to a thin film a clingy ring of soap suds.

S: Nice aroma of roasted malts, lots of cocoa and a lighter, sweetened coffee. A little toffee and a faint nuttiness.

T: Really heavy on the roasting; tangy, acrid coffee beans followed by a lingering citrus pith. Seemed rather metallic/mineral-laden up front, even a bit of a detergent off-taste, then the dark bittering followed. Earthy graininess in the long finish, retaining just a bit of sweetness. Not very good...

M: Slick across the tongue, nothing grabs until that roasted bitterness hits the back. Carbonation is non-apparent, malts stick a little on the lips, body is light-medium. Finish is a lasting bitter chalkiness.

D: Not a very good version of the style on first inspection. Maybe having this fresh from the tap, or at least a bit newer bottle, might change my opinion. I'd give it another try, I suppose...

msubulldog25, Dec 08, 2007

TFMyriad, Jul 22, 2012

2beerdogs, Oct 23, 2012
3.03/5  rDev -15.4%

Thanks to NitroGen for sending this one my way.

A - Poured a nice brown color with a small tan head that leaves lacing behind

S - Has a light aroma some nuttiness and spice on top of the malt

T - I'm getting some nutty flavor and roasted malt taste it finishes off a little weird with an almost ashy taste

M - This beer has a thin watery body with medium carbonation to it

D - To me this was an average at best beer there wasn't really anything wrong with it there just wasn't anything that made it better than any other brown ale.

armock, Jul 17, 2009
3.05/5  rDev -14.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3

Nice dark brown pour with 1 inch head. when first tasting it I kept getting a nutty and toasty caramel flavor but smooth when it goes down. The smell- When I first poured it in to my glass I would get hints of coffee beans. This beer will not be my first choice but I think I would try it again someday.

AZYescas, Nov 22, 2013
3.05/5  rDev -14.8%

Finally getting around to reviewing this one.

Pours a dark brown with cola colored edges. Almost two fingers of light tan head. Nice polka dot lacing.

The aroma is light...hard to get a lot out of it. I get a hint of nuts, some grain, and some caramel, but not much else.

The flavor is fairly light, as well. Same tastes as what I smelled with a touch more sweetness. Slightly nutty and a faint taste of caramel, but toasted malts are the main draw.

Mouthfeel is lighter than what I expect from a brown ale. Almost too thin, imo. Not a bad drinker, but not something I would search out again. Just my $.02.

Imstillthegman, Oct 21, 2008
3.13/5  rDev -12.6%

I'm surprised I have never tried this beer before, I've seen it around but never picked it up. I think I even missed their booth at the AZ Beerfest.
Pours dark brown with a large tan head. Nice lacing.

Aroma is sweet and malty, with a faint scent of hops.

flavor is roasty,light coffee, light chocolate, light bitter.

Highly quaffable. I think I'll be trying more of their beers in the neer future.

Padron4KM, Sep 05, 2004

12 ounce bottle

poured brown with a large head, nice lacing

smelled of a nutty malt, not much hops

tastes of nutty malts as well, slight earthy hop to finish, but all flavors are subtle.

thin

would make a decent lawnmower beer for a brown ale, nothing spectacular but drinkable.

tayner, Feb 07, 2008
3.13/5  rDev -12.6%

12oz brown bottle with no freshness dating of any kind. Poured into a stemmed pils glass it formed an eggshell white head that falls to an outer ring. A deep ruby red around the edges and brown in the core.

Fairly strong smell of toasted malts and a touch of chocolate. This didn't translate all that well as the taste was rather mild in comparison. A moderate level of bitterness balances this out nicely. Slightly astringent as it warms up and the finish is watered and lifeless.

Notes: So-so. I think its below average overall but I certainly wouldn't turn a nose up to this.

DogFood11, Mar 29, 2007
3.25/5  rDev -9.2%

Pookie, Mar 06, 2013
3.25/5  rDev -9.2%

nleaders, Jul 02, 2014
Photo of
3.3/5  rDev -7.8%

12oz. bottle

Hazy, very dark brown. Large, light tan creamy head. Darkest brown ale I believe I have ever seen. Deep copper & red tones also present.

Smells of molasses. Dark fruits - faintly. Touch of coffee. Roses. All in all, very sweet aroma.

Taste turns 180 degrees. Roast & coffee notes most apparent. Much more bitter than sweet. Citrus flavor which lingers well into the aftertaste. Much sharper than you would expect from a brown.

Medium - light body. Medium - light carbonation. Fairly dry.

An interesting brown, and given my fixation on hops, I liked it. However, not very true to style.

, Apr 30, 2007
3.3/5  rDev -7.8%

Totally different beat of a label, showcased with people and a background from the Classical era. From it's 12 ounce bottle, poured into a pint, on to the beer:

Dark brown in appearance with a big foamy head, this beer looks good in the glass. The aroma is of mocha, rubber, and toffee. The taste is mostly espresso-like; freshly ground coffee beans, phenolic (band aids), and roasted flavors, which linger on the tongue. It's not the way I prefer my brown ales, but it's workable.

DoubleJ, Sep 14, 2007
3.35/5  rDev -6.4%

When I was in Tempa AZ, I had a conversation with a fellow BA about brown ale. This one pours with a standard dark brown color and a rim of khaki collar. Scents are a bit of roasted malts and some caramel.

First swigs: Some caramel and roased malt. Almost burnt. Leafy and balanced. Nothing crazy going on. Just standard brown. Sugary sweet root beer.

Medium body. Buttery oily feel with standard middle carbonation.

Last swigs: so-so. A good ole brown. At best, a new brown to add to the roster.

blitheringidiot, Jan 02, 2006
3.38/5  rDev -5.6%

this is a tasting of an older bottle. Beer poured into pint glass, color is light brown, head is very thin and dissipates quickly.

Smell is mild chocolate and toasty malts, mild nutty and toffee notes, not fresh but not too old.

Taste is a little sweet, light caramel and chocolate, strong bitter mouthfeel but not too much in the flavor in terms of hops, maybe some grassiness.

Mouthfeel is a little bitter, but not overly so, expected for this type of brew. Lingering sweetness helps to balance, but bitterness lingers on tongue.

Overall, this is a beer with good bones, maybe a bit above average for a brown ale; would like find it again some time in AZ.

mvanaskie13, Nov 25, 2012