Donder & Bliksem - Brouwerij De Molen

Donder & BliksemDonder & Bliksem

Brouwerij De Molen visit their website
Netherlands

Dubbel |  8.20% ABV

(Beer added by: ccrida on 06-28-2008)
« first ‹ prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | next › last »

djrn2, Nov 22, 2012

cab, Nov 17, 2012
3.98/5  rDev +5.3%

330ml bottle poured into tulip 30/9/12

A slightly hazy amber with a nice tight tan finger of foam that hangs around long enough to leave a couple partial rings of lace

S caramel and toffee, bready malt, floral notes, honey and a little hay, smells like an EIPA or a strong Pilsner with a butterscotch twist

T much like the nose, reminds me of an English ale with some Czech lager, I rather like it but a Dubble? I think not. Biscuit and butterscotch with some grassy floral hops, rather interesting

M on the heavy side of medium, nice carbonation with dry cereal on the finish, slightly sticky on the lips

O not at all what I was expecting, I thought this was a Winter Warmer named after Santa’s Reindeer, solid stuff whatever it is

I was expecting spices and got English malt with Czech hops? I don’t get much off the label but I liked the beer inside

wordemupg, Oct 02, 2012

djcira, Feb 19, 2012
3.5/5  rDev -7.4%

ygtbsm94, Jan 29, 2012
3.83/5  rDev +1.3%

The beer style wasn't mentioned on the label, so I don't know what to expect.

A - A clear golden beer with a decent white head, that slowly turns into a fluffy cream. The is some nice carbonation bubbles rushing up, always pleasant to see.

S - A real Pilsener smell of yeast and hops, not really in a pleasant way though.

T - Tones of flowers, grain and some pine which bring a bitter taste.

M - A soft to medium carbonation that fits the taste excellent, slightly creamy too.

O - A good ???, type of beer. The complexity is good and the body too. - Now I see it was supposed to be a Double. I never would have guessed it, because of the bright and clear color. Now that I know I can still appreciate it in the same manner though, maybe even more.

Mar02x, Dec 23, 2011

Telestic, Dec 23, 2011

ElGallo, Nov 22, 2011

JAHMUR, Nov 18, 2011
3.75/5  rDev -0.8%

Bottle out of the Brick Store cellar shared by a generous soul. 2007 vintage.

Pours a hazy purplish-amber color with a one-finger off-white head. The head recedes into a wispy layer on top leaving light lacing.

Smells of robust medium malts with large amounts of boozy medium and dark fruits - pears, figs, and hints of raisins. Also present are hints of clove and brown sugar.

Tastes similar to how it smells. Moderately sweet medium malt flavors kick things off and are joined quickly by hints of spices. Midway through the sip the flavor profile turns toward fruit - mostly dried figs with hints of syrupy pears. The fruit flavors carry through to a crisp ending.

Mouthfeel is good. It's got a nice thickness with active carbonation.

Drinkability is also good. I had no problems finishing my glass and could have another.

Overall I wasn't a huge fan of this beer as the flavors seemed thinner than they should have been given the aroma and mouthfeel. A decent beer for the style but one not worth seeking out.

glid02, Feb 17, 2011
4.28/5  rDev +13.2%

Well, this is quite the interesting beast. I was hoping my cork would offer some clue as to how old this bottle is, but there was nothing to be found etched on the cork when I pulled it. It has to be either 2007 or 2008, I think.

Poured into a Westmalle chalice, the limp, slightly murky brown liquid doesn't exactly do the stately glass justice. Oh well. I'll give a low score here, but I'm guessing the subsequent categories will offer enough to average out to a decent grade.

Yum. I like beers that smell like this. I'm definitely pulling Old Ale-like aromas here - overripe grape, rum, molasses, fudge. It smells like a big tasty malt bomb.

Yet, the actual taste is more complicated than that. I'm finding this really difficult to describe....I get the rum raisin flavors of a dubbel, but there's also unsweetened chocolate, pipe tobacco, molasses and black licorice. As if that wasn't enough, there's a pervasive, but not overbearing, vinous acidity throughout. Interesting. To me, it skews closer to an Old Ale than to a dubbel, but it has some of the characteristics of both. It's got a lot going on, and somehow the flavors manage to meld pretty well and not get in the way of one another. Tasty.

Feel is a little limp, with carbonation that I'd classify as light-to-moderate. This is fine....I'm not sure this would be as good if the carbonation was even just a little higher. As it stands, it has good creaminess, and the flavors are allowed to really coat the tongue.

As for drinkability, this is much more drinkable than I thought it might be. Even at 8+%, the alcohol doesn't seem to be much of a factor, and the carbonation on the light side of moderate helps it slide down with more ease than it otherwise would. Also, even though it's highly flavorful, that it's not overly sweet helps guard against the possibility of flavor fatigue.

All in all, a worthy beer if you like Old Ales and Dubbels, and are feeling a bit adventurous. However, I bet a fairly large cross-section of beer geeks would find something to like about this beer.

Patrick999, Jul 02, 2010