Bommen & Granaten - Brouwerij De Molen

330ml: 57 IBU
to view more.
Ratings: 163 | Reviews: 80
Reviews by xmorgan:

The labeling on this Beer SUX, I am being constructive because I really dig this beer. However there are about 4 or 5 classifications on the web for this beer.

I love beer, I really like Beer Advocate, there are others but this is the site I use.

Beer is a hobby of mine, and I love tasting all kinds of beers, I travel for work (41 countries and almost all the continental US). And I try to sample and review where ever I go.

This Beer I got at perhaps a reall Kewl Beer store in the Bay Area. The Willows Market in Menlo Park.

The Beer Manager (yes they have someone who's job is beer) recommended it to me.

I forgot what kind of beer it was, but I was in a beer stocking mission.

I put it in my Cellar (14 Deg C) where I put anything that is Like a Barley Wine or Most Belgians. On A Whim, after a fresh Hop NOR CAL IPA Beer I wanted something well, different.

I popped the cap and poured into a Konigshoeven Glass.

Appearance: Foamless if you omit the tiny ring of bubbles at the rim that disappear soon after you finish pouring into the goblet.
Rusty reddish brown with a fair amount of "Sinkers" (residual yeast) on the bottom.

Smell: WOW. SWEAT! Fruit and malt comes through very strong. Maltose, if you were running for president I would crown you, the maltiness and fruit in this pour was wonderful.

This beer reminds me of a Port. The sweetness and warmth really make this a desert beer.

I was so inclined to have a Ice Cream Sunday with Whipped Cream as I slowed my night down to enjoy this beer.

It is big, I should say BIG! A casual observer might try this beer with the wrong palette and not get it. If taken too early in the day, or prior to eating, your mouth would or could find the sweetness in this beer offensive.

But taken later, after thirst and hunger are quenched, perhaps after a meal and prior to or in leu of desert, this beer will hit you correctly.

Afternoon sessions of beer can be detrimental to beer styles. Especially barley wines and spiced christmas beers, beers better consumed after the sun has retired and our practical selfs have also retired.

Taste: Sipped and not quaffed as you would an ale or lager. This beer is sweet. This beer is a desert beer. The prune and date sweetness, almost like a molasses comes through, but it finishes dry.

This is a beer to relish, to enjoy at the end of the day, while reading or writing about beer.

I an enjoy this beer on introspective occasions.

Mouthfeel: I can suck at my cheeks for hours after drinking this and enjoy the after taste.

Overall: I really like this beer. I will stock it in my cellar for special occasions. It is not cheap, $9.99 US for the 33CL bottle.

One Bottle could server 2 easily if you sever like port.

At 15.2% it could make the space up.

This goes well with B&J Super Fudge Chunk and Whipped cream!

4.44/5  rDev +14.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

2009 vintage. Brewing date: 2009-02-25.

A: Reddish amber, quite pale actually. No head, just a few random airy bubbles that quickly disappear. Looks like I'll be having another flat one from De Molen...

S: A very powerful and well defined smell. Lots of vinous fruits (prunes, plums, raisins) and caramel malts. The alcohol adds a nice and subtle layer. Faint notes of autumn leaves and spices.

T: The taste is really good. It's very sweet with caramel malts to the fore. Notes of toffee. Vinous fruits are all around, mostly in the form of plums and figs. Aromas of oranges and apples. Lots of rum soaked raisins. Strangely enough, the sweetness doesn't get too much, instead the beer comes out as quite balanced. The finish is gently bitter and sweet with vanilla, wood and a mild leafy hop note, and a warming, well integrated alcohol flavor.

M: Full bodied with a fat and chewy mouthfeel. No carbonation, absolutely flat.

D: A really good beer. Very taste and characterful. It's definitely a sipper, but it's impressive that a beer as sweet as this one is so balanced. The vinous and liqueur-like qualities in this one is superb. But it would have been so nice if there was some carbonation.

3.78/5  rDev -2.6%

Bottle.

Pours a hazy chestnut brown color with a wispy light tan head. The head quickly dissipates leaving no lacing but decent legs.

Smells of sweet and syrupy caramel malts with good amounts of dark toffee. Also present are large amounts of ripe plums and figs and milder amounts of brandy aromas.

Tastes similar to how it smells. Sticky caramel malt flavors with large amounts of toffee and butterscotch flavors kick things off. Shortly thereafter moderate amounts of brandy-soaked plum and raisin flavors work their way into things, carrying through to a decidedly sweet ending.

Mouthfeel is good. It's got a smooth thickness with very soft carbonation.

Drinkability is OK. I finished my glass without a problem however I'm not sure about another.

Overall this was a big still barleywine - certainly on the sweet side but after a certain ABV it's almost impossible to make them otherwise. I'd enjoy seeing beers over 12% available in the Rogue nip bottles as 12 oz. is almost always too much. Anyways, it's a tasty beer that's worth a shot.

4.52/5  rDev +16.5%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured into teku glass. Very nice dark amber/red colour with little carbonation and tiny bubbles. A bit hazy. The head dissipates very quickly. Smells just great! Reminds of honey, caramel, dates and molasses with the alcohol hidden very well. Maybe a tiny bit of leather in the background.
Tastes sweet, with dark caramel upfront and a slight bitterness at the end, which somehow survives in the aftertaste. Feels syrupy with medium body and low carbonation. Absolutely fantastic!

3.97/5  rDev +2.3%

Sampled on tap at the Pre-ZBF festival at Alivnne. The beer poured a cloudy orange body with an off white head that ran away rather quickly. The nose had yeast notes, some citrus character and a bit of alcohol as well. The taste was pretty intense with some alcohol notes, fruit character, orange and a nice hop character and spice as well. Overall a full bodied beer that improved as it warms and the nose and body open up.

3.78/5  rDev -2.6%

Traded from the Netherlands. Pours a rich dark brown colour with a little head, noneby the end of the bottle. Fairly full mouthfeel, supplemented by lots of caramel. This is sweet and apricot fruity. Very sweet, this is one year old of its stated 25 year life, and should be even more interesting after five years. Drinkable and super high alcohol is hidden.

3.64/5  rDev -6.2%

Pours a murky brown. No head, no lacings, just a few bubbles off the pour that vanish immediately.

Fruit and chocolate on the nose. Dark red fruit, carmelised sugar, and milk chocolate.

Nice dark fruit, berries, plums, and dates. Deep malt profile, really complex. Alcohol is soft and well-incorporated.

The mouth let's it down. Just not pleasant to drink. No carbonation whatsoever. A real shame, because the flavour profile is really nice.

3.97/5  rDev +2.3%

33cl bottle, brought back from Holland.

#2069/2506

bottled 8/27/09 - best consumed within 25 years

appearance: standard black typewriter font on white label, eroded red wax over the cap. the cap pops to absolutely no sound and is poured into my delirium chalice. clear amber mahogany turns to a cloud as the sediment sneaks in. no head, a few misplaced bubbles that instantly vanish

smell: caramel, tobacco, molasses, pine sap, rum covered fruit

taste: 15.2% is buried somewhere - quite sweet but lacking any real bitterness - caramel, rum soaked apple and plum, brown sugar, citrus peel. fascinating how well the alcohol hides (at least on the palate) - otherwise, not particularly exciting but a fun ride

mouthfeel: no carbonation, medium body, slightly syrupy

overall: not de molen's finest work, but a dangerously drinkable abv monster

3.8/5  rDev -2.1%

Poured into a snifter. Dark ruby color with a very thin white-ish head that fades almost instantly. No lacing. All in all, not an impressive appearance - but I'll give it a pass, considering the huge ABV.

Nose is a malty treat - caramel, burnt brown sugar, etc. Taste follows suit perfectly, with a generous sweetness - loads of caramel, brown sugar and lots of malt. Body is medium to heavy and very stick. My major criticism of this brew is the carbonation - there's virtually no carbonation in this thing, and it leaves the beer a bit flat (no pun intended). Don't get me wrong - I'm not asking for a tingler here, but this thing could use some more carbonation to give it a bit of life. The alcohol burn is certainly there, but it's not offensive - it adds some great character.

All in all, an interesting brew. It's a phenomenal sipper, but not a personal favorite of mine. Something needs to be done about that mouthfeel before I give this one another look - just too flat.

2.58/5  rDev -33.5%
look: 2.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2

Shared this with Frasier433 during our weekly tasting session. He picked it up at Hop City.

A- Murky mahogany. Zero carbonation. No lacing. I served this to 3 people, 2 pours each. On the very last pour (so pour number 6) I really made it forceful and go just a hint of co2. I'm not looking for a lot, but something. The stillness of this beer really made it seem flat, dull, and unappetizing. Looks like a 40 year port, that oxidized reddish-brown color.

S- The smell was pretty incredible. Obvious nuts and malts. There was a flavor I was trying to define, and I said "Apricots...no, plums...no, apricots AND plums" and then Frasier said "Nah dude, figs". Yes, figs...figs all the way. It smells like a fine aged port. Smells like a 40 year old port.

T- Really sweet, overly sweet, toffee and grape juice, but bitter on the end. A drying flavorless bitter. Actually pretty unpleasant.

M- Medium-full bodied, thick and rolling. Moist.

D- The appearance was acceptable, the smell was incredible, but the taste was just really hard. We had three people drinking a 33 cL bottle, and it was hard for us to finish. Frasier picked up 2 bottles. I said, age the second one for 10 years and let's come back to it, see if the sugars mellow out.

Overall, the smell was really incredible, but the taste was just down right unpalatable.

3.8/5  rDev -2.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

A - Dark red in color with no head whatsoever. 3.5/5

S - Dark stone fruit with some oakiness. Honey and molasses. Very sweet. 4/5

T - Ultra sweet. Dates and raisins. Honey and molasses. Sickeningly sweet. 3.75/5

M - Very heavy and viscous. Sticky sweet. Very little carbonation. Chewy. 3.75/5

O - Good barleywine. Do not drink with dinner. Drink this with dessert. Dinner probably biased my review heavily. 3.75/5

3.54/5  rDev -8.8%

(330cl bottle from Bruery Provisions. Bottle #2013/2304). Pours cloudy mahogany with no head and some floaties. Aroma has loads of fruit--green apple, orange, some caramel and a bit of alcohol. Taste is sweet with a bit of bitterness on the end. Alcohol is noticeable, but it doesn’t show 15%. Not bad, but not terribly complex.

3.5/5  rDev -9.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

750ml bottle from the May '08 brewing. The cork comes loose silently, and pouring it proves there is indeed very little carbonation, if any. The beer is surprisingly clear, with a bright copper body and some traces of a would-be foam collar. Looks like a liqueur, and the similarities don't stop there. Smells incredibly sweet, with brown sugar and fruit notes. Lots of orange character. Very boozy; taking a big whiff, it burns the nostrils. Caramel, brown sugar, and honey in the taste, again with a good deal of fruit. There is a surprising amount of bitterness there, though it's easily overpowered by the sweet finish. No real alcohol bite, just a very warming finish. Thick feel that is quite syrupy. Normally not the kind of beer that I really go for, but I think the lack of carbonation is really what lets it work. Rather than thinking about this as a beer, it comes off as being much more akin to a typical dessert liqueur. Definitely a sipper, and not something I want to have more than a 6oz serving of, but then again, one can just recork the bottle and not have to worry about losing carbonation. Really interesting for what it is.

3.62/5  rDev -6.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Just dropped $10 on this 12oz bottle, and I must say, I've had better. In so, so many ways.

Puppy farts are the worst, yet, they come out of the cutest things on Earth, so you can hardly be mad at them. Puppies wag their tail at you as if they didn't just put the taste of poop in your mouth, but they know. Trust me, they know. Even after you are tasting the fecal matter, at least the puppy isn't taking $10 from you. At least not directly, more in the form of food and bills at the veterinarian.

Although consequences matter, so do intentions. And all this puppy wanted me to do was love it for who it is: a peeing, pooping on the floor, shit for brains son of a bitch. I can appreciate that. It just wanted some love. Not everybody is able to poop in the correct place, even after they get the shit beat out of them repeatedly. They're "forgetful". Forgetful in the same way that men forget to put down the toilet seat or women forget to stop complaining all the time.

But let's talk about this beers intentions. It is a high alcohol English Barley Wine packaged in a sexy looking bottle. So sexy, in fact, that I decided to give my money to the clerk in exchange for this bottle. I'm a sucker for cool typography. The wax dip just tops her off.

It means well, it really does. It has a complex palate of caramel and mixed fruits, but the mouthfeel is something that I just can't get on board with.

Appearance: Pours a caramel color with a hint of ruby red. Zero carbonation

Smell: Smells of alcohol, apricots, caramel and maybe some figs. Difficult to tell at this point, I'm almost done drinking it and the alcohol is starting to get to me

Taste: Too sweet. I taste assorted fruits, but more of a candied version of them. Very sweet. Too sweet for me, no bitterness at all

Mouthfeel: Aunt Jemima just pooped in my mouth

Overall: Not bad, but not $10 good. I much prefer the Heaven and Hell which is also by Brouwerij De Molen, but costs $1 less. Won't be purchasing again, far too sweet for me

1.94/5  rDev -50%
look: 1.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

Bottle: Poured a transparent amber color ale with zero head. Aroma of dry fruits, oxidation and sweet corn notes is quite intense. Taste is also dominated by warm alcohol ester notes with some corn, some oxidized caramel malt notes with intense dry fruit and loads of residual sugar. Body has an oily like texture with zero carbonation and loads of alcohol was apparent. This was bottle in 2010 and is supposedly good for another 25 years! I can’t say I was very impressed with this beer as way too much alcohol and sugar was perceptible. There seems to be a trend of zero carbonation and high-gravity beer with no attenuation and I just don’t get it.

2.45/5  rDev -36.9%

2010 Vintage

Appearance: Murky brown tinged with orange. No head or carbonation to speak of. Big alcohol legs but not as sticky as I'd expect at 15.2 % ABV.

Smell: Brown sugar, caramel, apples, slight smell of booze. Then it all fades quickly.

Taste: A little harshness from the booze, sweet sugary apple flavor but kind of watered down. Some caramel. Very one dimensional.

Mouthfeel: On the light side of full or maybe even medium. Disappointing for a beer of this style especially one that is such high gravity.

Overall: Very disappointed in this beer. Not worth trying especially at the price point. It's a very simple brew but the few notes it does have are not particularly enjoyable and the body comes off thin for what should be a huge barley wine.

3.45/5  rDev -11.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

De Molen's Bombs 'n Grenades (funny dutch comic reference), over 15% abv. Nugget hop.
I'm slightly worried.
Brewed 19 januari 2011.
Bottled 11 march 2011.
So it's a pretty fresh sample.

Red brown, with a thin head. Hardly any carbonation.
Smell is boozy, with quite a heavy scent of earthy hops. some floral and herbal.
Taste is more sweet than expected, but the alcohol dominates this brew nevertheless. It is combined with the heavy bitterness and malt sweet. It's wild and unbalanced.

Aftertaste is of alcohol and bitter hops.
Overall, I think this is far too boozy.

4.3/5  rDev +10.8%

appearance: Hazy, dusky reddish tan. Slight head and lacing but pretty damn full for a 15%er.
smell: Some fruitiness and malt. Very tame for such a beast.
taste: This is nice. Mellow and full. A hint of something like raspberry. Complex but tame.
overall: Thanks to my buddy for a fantastic birthday present that included this. A very unique and wonderful concoction.

3.82/5  rDev -1.5%

11.2 fl oz. bottle with quite the intricate and detailed label. Brewed on 15 April 2010, and bottled 19 August 2010, so this beer is about three years and two months old, making this probably the second oldest beer I've ever had, next to the Mikkeller / BrewDog Devine Rebel I drank yesterday, which is also an English barleywine.

Poured into a clear balloon snifter glass.

A - Pours a thick viscous muddy mahogany caramel colored body with no head, no bubbles, and no lacing. Looks even more flat than yesterday's beer. Some dark specks of sediment noticeable.

S - Not getting too much in the way of smell, but the beer is still pretty cold. Some caramel, taffy apples, and some cinnamon sticks. Getting some burnt brown sugar and some dark fruit presence like figs, dates, and prunes also. Some alcohol fumes on the finish.

T - Taste is pretty nice. I'm getting lots of caramel covered apple goodness, some booze heat, and some dark fruit flavor in the background.

M - Feel is thick, syrupy, sweet, sticky, and boozy. A bit of alcohol heat on the finish. Heavy bodied with pretty much zero carbonation.

Overall, I quite enjoyed it, although I don't think it held up quite as well as the Mikkeller / BrewDog Devine Rebel did, but that's another story. I love the caramel and apple flavors present here, they are truly great. Very high 15.20% abv is noticeable, but doesn't feel nearly that high, although I'm sure it is destined to doom me. Recommended.

De Molen Bommen & Granaten ---3.5/5

2.68/5  rDev -30.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Interesting bottle - very artisanal label with a thin, rather oily, red wax coating over the metal cap. Pour was dark chestnut with little head. Very low level of carbonation, bordering on flat. Heavy dose of brown sugar with prune and dried fruit in the background. ETOH was prominent and biting, stabbing through the sweetness with a jagged edge. Finish was overly-sweet and cloying. Unfortunately, I'm just not digging this beer.

4.75/5  rDev +22.4%

330ml bottle. Snifter glass. Review on jul´12. Reddish amber color. Foggy appearance. Yellowish beige, medium to small bubbled, froth creates creamy, fairly good retention, crown. Noble hop, spicy, intense caramel malt & candy aromas with hints of cinnamon. Sweet caramel malts, very ripe fruits –peach & apricot-, gentle warming & subtle bitterness at first sip. Buttery, plentiful & voluptuous palate. Raisin & sweet grapefruit in the middle. Full body, low carbonation. Smooth, creamy, slightly earthy finish. Aftertaste carries sugar cane, brown sugar & soft rhum-like hues. Amazing well balanced flavors & aromas. Delightful. Mandatory beer!!! Comment: Last year I enjoyed a 750ml bottle. I remember it so delicious but no notes were taken. Well, looking at labels I´ve realized: 750ml ltd. Ed. -#113- bottle 24,3EBC 53,9IBU but 330ml bottle 45EBC 57IBU.

4.03/5  rDev +3.9%

A: Pours a slightly hazy mahogany with absolutely no head, save a few large bubbles that were a product of a vigorous pour.

S: Caramel, toffee, and brown sugar up front with a biscuity malt character swirling around. Lots of different fruits - figs, plums, raisins, some light citrus, and green apples. Hints of leather and tobacco.

T: Big fruit presence up front with plums, raisins, figs, citrus, and apricots all playing a part. Caramel, toffee, and some toasted graints show up on the mid-palate before giving way to a sweet, fruit filled finish. Alcohol burn is remarkably low for a 15% ABV beer.

M: Has a very wine like feel, light to medium bodied with the faintest of carbonation...usually an undercarbed barleywine feels too heavy and syrupy, but this really works.

D: It's a sipper, but remarkably easy drinking for a 15% ABV, undercarbed barleywine. I'm probably going to pick up another bottle or two, as I'm very curious how this will do with some age on it.

3.24/5  rDev -16.5%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3

330ml bottle into a tulip. Bottled in August, 2010 (#393/2304).

A: Murky reddish brown with a small head of coarse off-white bubbles. Pretty ugly.

S: Sweet and slightly oxidized. Grapes and raisins, fig, brown sugar, a bit of a solvent note from the alcohol.

T: Not quite as sweet as the aroma, with some savory roasted grain qualities to it to offer a bit of balance. Mushed raisins, prunes, burnt sugar. Warming.

M: Thick and syrupy. Flat.

O: I don't see this beer going anywhere good. Meh.

3.44/5  rDev -11.3%

A: Brilliant copper with a tinge of red, no carbonation, a very faint haze, topped with a half finger of sulfur yellow head.

S: Strange almost vomit like scent, Italian proscutto all the way or Serrano Ham, burnt sugar, crème brulee, light alcohol scent, light fruitiness.

T: Crème brulee, burnt sugar, the same strange proscutto flavor is light, thick brandy alcohol, throat burn.

M: Thick syrupy texture, very low carbonation.

O: I got this on Wishbeer, Thailand, drank in Kunming on January 9th, 2015. Its that time of year to have this one, especially on the day of the first snow in our city! Memories of having barley wine with my bro in Canada this around this time of year.

3.49/5  rDev -10.1%

12 oz bottle poured into snifter. batch 8? bottle 623.

a - pour is reddish brown. no head at all.

s - dark fruit, caramel sweetness. some yeasty notes. not much of any booze which is surprising.

t - fig and brown sugar. somewhat weak. can taste some faint hops and fruitiness.

m - thin palate and no carbonation.

overall - kind of a let down. I've got another bottle, and given that it says it can age 25 years, maybe i'll give that a go. it is very drinkable, especially given the abv.

to view more.