Bommen & Granaten - Brouwerij De Molen

Netherlands

English Barleywine |  15.20% ABV

750ml: 53.9 IBU
330ml: 57 IBU

(Beer added by: hoppymeal on 11-12-2008)

The labeling on this Beer SUX, I am being constructive because I really dig this beer. However there are about 4 or 5 classifications on the web for this beer.

I love beer, I really like Beer Advocate, there are others but this is the site I use.

Beer is a hobby of mine, and I love tasting all kinds of beers, I travel for work (41 countries and almost all the continental US). And I try to sample and review where ever I go.

This Beer I got at perhaps a reall Kewl Beer store in the Bay Area. The Willows Market in Menlo Park.

The Beer Manager (yes they have someone who's job is beer) recommended it to me.

I forgot what kind of beer it was, but I was in a beer stocking mission.

I put it in my Cellar (14 Deg C) where I put anything that is Like a Barley Wine or Most Belgians. On A Whim, after a fresh Hop NOR CAL IPA Beer I wanted something well, different.

I popped the cap and poured into a Konigshoeven Glass.

Appearance: Foamless if you omit the tiny ring of bubbles at the rim that disappear soon after you finish pouring into the goblet.
Rusty reddish brown with a fair amount of "Sinkers" (residual yeast) on the bottom.

Smell: WOW. SWEAT! Fruit and malt comes through very strong. Maltose, if you were running for president I would crown you, the maltiness and fruit in this pour was wonderful.

This beer reminds me of a Port. The sweetness and warmth really make this a desert beer.

I was so inclined to have a Ice Cream Sunday with Whipped Cream as I slowed my night down to enjoy this beer.

It is big, I should say BIG! A casual observer might try this beer with the wrong palette and not get it. If taken too early in the day, or prior to eating, your mouth would or could find the sweetness in this beer offensive.

But taken later, after thirst and hunger are quenched, perhaps after a meal and prior to or in leu of desert, this beer will hit you correctly.

Afternoon sessions of beer can be detrimental to beer styles. Especially barley wines and spiced christmas beers, beers better consumed after the sun has retired and our practical selfs have also retired.

Taste: Sipped and not quaffed as you would an ale or lager. This beer is sweet. This beer is a desert beer. The prune and date sweetness, almost like a molasses comes through, but it finishes dry.

This is a beer to relish, to enjoy at the end of the day, while reading or writing about beer.

I an enjoy this beer on introspective occasions.

Mouthfeel: I can suck at my cheeks for hours after drinking this and enjoy the after taste.

Overall: I really like this beer. I will stock it in my cellar for special occasions. It is not cheap, $9.99 US for the 33CL bottle.

One Bottle could server 2 easily if you sever like port.

At 15.2% it could make the space up.

This goes well with B&J Super Fudge Chunk and Whipped cream!

4.78/5  rDev +23.5%

330ml bottle. Snifter glass. Review on jul´12. Reddish amber color. Foggy appearance. Yellowish beige, medium to small bubbled, froth creates creamy, fairly good retention, crown. Noble hop, spicy, intense caramel malt & candy aromas with hints of cinnamon. Sweet caramel malts, very ripe fruits –peach & apricot-, gentle warming & subtle bitterness at first sip. Buttery, plentiful & voluptuous palate. Raisin & sweet grapefruit in the middle. Full body, low carbonation. Smooth, creamy, slightly earthy finish. Aftertaste carries sugar cane, brown sugar & soft rhum-like hues. Amazing well balanced flavors & aromas. Delightful. Mandatory beer!!! Comment: Last year I enjoyed a 750ml bottle. I remember it so delicious but no notes were taken. Well, looking at labels I´ve realized: 750ml ltd. Ed. -#113- bottle 24,3EBC 53,9IBU but 330ml bottle 45EBC 57IBU.

4.7/5  rDev +21.4%

4.53/5  rDev +17.1%

330ml bottle 15,2% Abv.
Served lightly chilled in an over sized wine glass.
Bottled on: 23/08/2011 good for 25 years.

Other bottle information:
EBC: 45
EBU: 57

De Molen seems to have a bit of a problem with their bottle filling machine; this bottle was filled right to the top, there was almost no air!
I wasn't expecting much of a hiss when I opened the bottle, but there was no audible noise - I hope the beer isn't totally flat.

Appearance: Bommen & Granaten almost gloops out of the bottle - it looks amazing thick and syrupy. The body is a lightly clouded reddish-amber with beautiful orange edges when backlit. To my relief a small collar of white foam forms and lasts most of the way down. A light swirl yields light alcohol legs.

Smell: Mmmmm, big sweetness to start - toffee, treacle and brown sugar covered cooked apples, dates, figs and plums. Molasses, some sherry character, candied citrus, golden raisins and a touch of nutmeg are also noted. As the beer warms I was very surprised to find an earthy leather note. The 15% is not noted in any way in the nose.

Taste: As with the nose, the flavour is stunning. Initially very sweet with toffee, treacle and brown sugar notes. This is followed by plums, stewed apples, dates, figs and golden raisins. Light rum and sherry notes are present, but in flavour only as the alcohol is superbly well hidden, there is a light warming in the back of the throat, but nothing that would make me think this was more than 10%. This finish is lightly bitter with the faintest note of earthy hops.

Mouthfeel: Stunning feel - quite heavy, sticky (almost syrupy body) with very mild carbonation that is just enough to lift the beer and keep it from being cloying.

Overall: I adore these massive beers and this is one of the best! I will certainly have this again. I think it would be a perfect after dinner drink on a cold winter’s night.
Surprisingly this is also my mother's favourite of all the beers I have given her.

4.5/5  rDev +16.3%

Thanks to Phil for sending me this in a trade!

Poured deep maple with a very slight trail of bubbles. Perfectly clear, the light produces a brilliant deep amber glow. Lots of caramel and toffee here. Very nicely balanced sweetness that lasts the entire sip followed by an earthy bitterness. Low carbonation works for this sipper. Thick and chewy body. Quite an awesome beer indeed!

4.5/5  rDev +16.3%

Whoa! this is a Wiley monster. Poured with a traditional tiny fine off-white head, a little lace and a hazy/cloudy dark honey amber color. Aroma is wet grain, malt, figs, a bit of citrus, a hint of yeast. flavor is like aroma but the first thing that jumps out is the sweet tartness. The citrus is an interesting twist for Barley Wine. It pretty much Hides most of the Malt. The body is perfect. Alcohol is well hidden. This is a good ass Beer, By cracky.

4.49/5  rDev +16%

A - Hazy amber-orange with very little off-white bubbly head.

S - Sweet caramel and dark caramel malts, caramelized malts, dark fruits, pine and a bit of citrus hops, brown sugar, and some booze.

T - Sweet caramel malts, caramelized malts, brown sugar, figs, prunes, and other dark fruits, some light pine hops and resiny bitterness, some booze.

M - Full bodied, moderate carbonation. Smooth with a sweet and warming finish.

D - Fantastic bold and rich barleywine. Great overall balance.

4.45/5  rDev +15%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

2009 vintage. Brewing date: 2009-02-25.

A: Reddish amber, quite pale actually. No head, just a few random airy bubbles that quickly disappear. Looks like I'll be having another flat one from De Molen...

S: A very powerful and well defined smell. Lots of vinous fruits (prunes, plums, raisins) and caramel malts. The alcohol adds a nice and subtle layer. Faint notes of autumn leaves and spices.

T: The taste is really good. It's very sweet with caramel malts to the fore. Notes of toffee. Vinous fruits are all around, mostly in the form of plums and figs. Aromas of oranges and apples. Lots of rum soaked raisins. Strangely enough, the sweetness doesn't get too much, instead the beer comes out as quite balanced. The finish is gently bitter and sweet with vanilla, wood and a mild leafy hop note, and a warming, well integrated alcohol flavor.

M: Full bodied with a fat and chewy mouthfeel. No carbonation, absolutely flat.

D: A really good beer. Very taste and characterful. It's definitely a sipper, but it's impressive that a beer as sweet as this one is so balanced. The vinous and liqueur-like qualities in this one is superb. But it would have been so nice if there was some carbonation.

4.43/5  rDev +14.5%

I had 7 bottles of the stuff. 6 of them from a batch in March and 1 from June. The brewer already mentioned that he was more satisfied with the second batch and oh my god! what a great evening filling beer this is. The first batch was great, but it looked horrible and imo it was also too much on the sweet side. The second batch however is a real improvement on those faults. The beer is still very sweet but in a good way because of the strong bitterness underneath and the filling thickness. It's a dessertbeer for sure. After a good heavy meal you should open up a bottle and when done finish it off with a glass of Lagavulin to make the evening perfect! I'm glad I have 5 bottles left. Let's see how they develop over the next 5 years or so.

Bommen & Granaten from Brouwerij De Molen