Bommen & Granaten - Brouwerij De Molen

Netherlands

English Barleywine |  15.20% ABV

750ml: 53.9 IBU
330ml: 57 IBU

(Beer added by: hoppymeal on 11-12-2008)

guytyping, Dec 31, 2011
2.03/5  rDev -47.5%

This is an 08 bottle.

A: Pours a murky, almost opaque, but dirty looking rusted brown color. A tiny, thin, bubbly white head forms, and fizzles out in an instant. Looks flat and lifeless.
S: Very sweet malt, plums, figs, moldy wood, hot fusel alcohol. Over barring sweetness and alcohol in the nose.
T: Again, just way over barring. Huge sweetness and residual sugars. Some dried fruits. Apricots, plums. Very vinous as well. Though mostly hot, burning alcohol.
M/D: A sticky, syrupy body that is pretty much flat. Wow, I can not finish this. Just to much. One of the hottest, most alcoholic forward beers I have had.

The bottle is about 3 years old. Though still over barring and unpleasant. Not something I will touch again for a long, long time. If ever.

champ103, Dec 29, 2011
4.53/5  rDev +17.1%

330ml bottle 15,2% Abv.
Served lightly chilled in an over sized wine glass.
Bottled on: 23/08/2011 good for 25 years.

Other bottle information:
EBC: 45
EBU: 57

De Molen seems to have a bit of a problem with their bottle filling machine; this bottle was filled right to the top, there was almost no air!
I wasn't expecting much of a hiss when I opened the bottle, but there was no audible noise - I hope the beer isn't totally flat.

Appearance: Bommen & Granaten almost gloops out of the bottle - it looks amazing thick and syrupy. The body is a lightly clouded reddish-amber with beautiful orange edges when backlit. To my relief a small collar of white foam forms and lasts most of the way down. A light swirl yields light alcohol legs.

Smell: Mmmmm, big sweetness to start - toffee, treacle and brown sugar covered cooked apples, dates, figs and plums. Molasses, some sherry character, candied citrus, golden raisins and a touch of nutmeg are also noted. As the beer warms I was very surprised to find an earthy leather note. The 15% is not noted in any way in the nose.

Taste: As with the nose, the flavour is stunning. Initially very sweet with toffee, treacle and brown sugar notes. This is followed by plums, stewed apples, dates, figs and golden raisins. Light rum and sherry notes are present, but in flavour only as the alcohol is superbly well hidden, there is a light warming in the back of the throat, but nothing that would make me think this was more than 10%. This finish is lightly bitter with the faintest note of earthy hops.

Mouthfeel: Stunning feel - quite heavy, sticky (almost syrupy body) with very mild carbonation that is just enough to lift the beer and keep it from being cloying.

Overall: I adore these massive beers and this is one of the best! I will certainly have this again. I think it would be a perfect after dinner drink on a cold winter’s night.
Surprisingly this is also my mother's favourite of all the beers I have given her.

Thehuntmaster, Dec 28, 2011
4.5/5  rDev +16.3%

monty2000, Dec 17, 2011

Solether, Dec 14, 2011

The labeling on this Beer SUX, I am being constructive because I really dig this beer. However there are about 4 or 5 classifications on the web for this beer.

I love beer, I really like Beer Advocate, there are others but this is the site I use.

Beer is a hobby of mine, and I love tasting all kinds of beers, I travel for work (41 countries and almost all the continental US). And I try to sample and review where ever I go.

This Beer I got at perhaps a reall Kewl Beer store in the Bay Area. The Willows Market in Menlo Park.

The Beer Manager (yes they have someone who's job is beer) recommended it to me.

I forgot what kind of beer it was, but I was in a beer stocking mission.

I put it in my Cellar (14 Deg C) where I put anything that is Like a Barley Wine or Most Belgians. On A Whim, after a fresh Hop NOR CAL IPA Beer I wanted something well, different.

I popped the cap and poured into a Konigshoeven Glass.

Appearance: Foamless if you omit the tiny ring of bubbles at the rim that disappear soon after you finish pouring into the goblet.
Rusty reddish brown with a fair amount of "Sinkers" (residual yeast) on the bottom.

Smell: WOW. SWEAT! Fruit and malt comes through very strong. Maltose, if you were running for president I would crown you, the maltiness and fruit in this pour was wonderful.

This beer reminds me of a Port. The sweetness and warmth really make this a desert beer.

I was so inclined to have a Ice Cream Sunday with Whipped Cream as I slowed my night down to enjoy this beer.

It is big, I should say BIG! A casual observer might try this beer with the wrong palette and not get it. If taken too early in the day, or prior to eating, your mouth would or could find the sweetness in this beer offensive.

But taken later, after thirst and hunger are quenched, perhaps after a meal and prior to or in leu of desert, this beer will hit you correctly.

Afternoon sessions of beer can be detrimental to beer styles. Especially barley wines and spiced christmas beers, beers better consumed after the sun has retired and our practical selfs have also retired.

Taste: Sipped and not quaffed as you would an ale or lager. This beer is sweet. This beer is a desert beer. The prune and date sweetness, almost like a molasses comes through, but it finishes dry.

This is a beer to relish, to enjoy at the end of the day, while reading or writing about beer.

I an enjoy this beer on introspective occasions.

Mouthfeel: I can suck at my cheeks for hours after drinking this and enjoy the after taste.

Overall: I really like this beer. I will stock it in my cellar for special occasions. It is not cheap, $9.99 US for the 33CL bottle.

One Bottle could server 2 easily if you sever like port.

At 15.2% it could make the space up.

This goes well with B&J Super Fudge Chunk and Whipped cream!

xmorgan, Nov 16, 2011
2.65/5  rDev -31.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Interesting bottle - very artisanal label with a thin, rather oily, red wax coating over the metal cap. Pour was dark chestnut with little head. Very low level of carbonation, bordering on flat. Heavy dose of brown sugar with prune and dried fruit in the background. ETOH was prominent and biting, stabbing through the sweetness with a jagged edge. Finish was overly-sweet and cloying. Unfortunately, I'm just not digging this beer.

Brent, Sep 12, 2011
3.6/5  rDev -7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A 2009 small bottle, red wax.

A liquid caramel pour, perhaps a shade darker. Slick. Little off-brown head. Legs on the side.

Aroma is strong. Malty. Sweet. Rich caramel and candied sugar. Hard to detect anything much after that due to alcohol.

Strong flavors. Caramel and toffee dominate. Candied apples--overripe. Sweet fruits, raisin. Fain wet leather some herbal spice thrown around.

Syrupy feel to it, no carbonation and that surprises me a little bit given the abv and bottle conditioning. Boozey on the end. Glad it was the small bottle

Mebuzzard, Sep 11, 2011
4.2/5  rDev +8.5%

11.2oz red waxed capped bottle drank out of my duvel tulip. a questionable choice for a 97degree day, but it just called my name. review #1000.

A- the pour yields a very murky reddish brown body with barely any head on top at all. what there is appears cream colored and becomes no more than a crown in a matter of seconds. nothing is left on the sides of glass as far as lacing goes.

S- the massive amount of alcohol makes itself apparent immediately. after that i get some intense sweetness from brown sugar, caramel, toffee, and a variety of fruits. plums, figs, dates, raisins, and cherries. very faint earthy hops finish this one off.

T- the taste starts off with more of the sweet malts that i could smell. caramel and toffee lead the way, with brown sugar coming in after that. then come the fruits. cherries, raisins, plums, dates, and figs. there are faint earthy hops at the end. the alcohol seems very well hidden for something this large.

M- the body is on the upper side of medium. the carbonation is on the extreme low side without being actually gone, which really works well here. palate coating and syrupy. moderate warmth from the alcohol which is more than ok for something this massive.

O- obviously too strong to drink more than one of, and the one i drank took me some time. a definite sipper, but very enjoyable. ill definitely be picking some more of this up to see how it ages. the bottle claims it can stand up after 25 years in a cellar.

jwinship83, Jul 23, 2011
4.33/5  rDev +11.9%

appearance: Hazy, dusky reddish tan. Slight head and lacing but pretty damn full for a 15%er.
smell: Some fruitiness and malt. Very tame for such a beast.
taste: This is nice. Mellow and full. A hint of something like raspberry. Complex but tame.
overall: Thanks to my buddy for a fantastic birthday present that included this. A very unique and wonderful concoction.

cindyjeffsmith, Jul 02, 2011
3.6/5  rDev -7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Just dropped $10 on this 12oz bottle, and I must say, I've had better. In so, so many ways.

Puppy farts are the worst, yet, they come out of the cutest things on Earth, so you can hardly be mad at them. Puppies wag their tail at you as if they didn't just put the taste of poop in your mouth, but they know. Trust me, they know. Even after you are tasting the fecal matter, at least the puppy isn't taking $10 from you. At least not directly, more in the form of food and bills at the veterinarian.

Although consequences matter, so do intentions. And all this puppy wanted me to do was love it for who it is: a peeing, pooping on the floor, shit for brains son of a bitch. I can appreciate that. It just wanted some love. Not everybody is able to poop in the correct place, even after they get the shit beat out of them repeatedly. They're "forgetful". Forgetful in the same way that men forget to put down the toilet seat or women forget to stop complaining all the time.

But let's talk about this beers intentions. It is a high alcohol English Barley Wine packaged in a sexy looking bottle. So sexy, in fact, that I decided to give my money to the clerk in exchange for this bottle. I'm a sucker for cool typography. The wax dip just tops her off.

It means well, it really does. It has a complex palate of caramel and mixed fruits, but the mouthfeel is something that I just can't get on board with.

Appearance: Pours a caramel color with a hint of ruby red. Zero carbonation

Smell: Smells of alcohol, apricots, caramel and maybe some figs. Difficult to tell at this point, I'm almost done drinking it and the alcohol is starting to get to me

Taste: Too sweet. I taste assorted fruits, but more of a candied version of them. Very sweet. Too sweet for me, no bitterness at all

Mouthfeel: Aunt Jemima just pooped in my mouth

Overall: Not bad, but not $10 good. I much prefer the Heaven and Hell which is also by Brouwerij De Molen, but costs $1 less. Won't be purchasing again, far too sweet for me

xaulzan, Jun 20, 2011
3.98/5  rDev +2.8%

33cl bottle, brought back from Holland.

#2069/2506

bottled 8/27/09 - best consumed within 25 years

appearance: standard black typewriter font on white label, eroded red wax over the cap. the cap pops to absolutely no sound and is poured into my delirium chalice. clear amber mahogany turns to a cloud as the sediment sneaks in. no head, a few misplaced bubbles that instantly vanish

smell: caramel, tobacco, molasses, pine sap, rum covered fruit

taste: 15.2% is buried somewhere - quite sweet but lacking any real bitterness - caramel, rum soaked apple and plum, brown sugar, citrus peel. fascinating how well the alcohol hides (at least on the palate) - otherwise, not particularly exciting but a fun ride

mouthfeel: no carbonation, medium body, slightly syrupy

overall: not de molen's finest work, but a dangerously drinkable abv monster

dirtylou, Jun 14, 2011
3.95/5  rDev +2.1%

Poured from a capped and waxed 12oz into a 22oz brandy snifter.

Pours a still murky ruby brown color. Absolutely no head on this even while pouring. Not even some bubbles from agitation.

The smell is rich with raisins, figs, apricots and caramel like sweetness that give into rum like notes. Some plum in there too. The sweetness begins to really come out once the brew warms up. No booze in there which is surprising at this level.

Upon sipping, the beer welcomes you with a toffee sweetness that fades into candied dark fruit flavors like plum, raisins, figs, etc. The sweetness becomes a bit much once it warms up a bit. Almost tastes like a German chocolate cake coconut frosting at that point with a bit of rum mixed in. Not bad, just a little overbearing at points and could use some balance. But it's surprising that there is not booze in the taste. At 15.2%, one would think you could definitely taste some alcohol, or boozeyness.

Mouthfeel is full and still. The sweetness can become a bit cloying at times...

Overall, this is a good beer but is a bit sweet and not as complex as something like an aged JW Lees Harvest Ale or MS Arctic Devil. It certainly isn't a bad beer though, I do like it. But would I pay $10 for another 12oz I'm not sure. The most impressive part is the hidden alcohol burn. I am pretty impressed with what they have done there.

I would like to see what time does to this beer though, it says on the back you can age it up to 25 years. Maybe I am drinking it prematurely but who knows...

auroracrisis, May 26, 2011
3.53/5  rDev -8.8%

(330cl bottle from Bruery Provisions. Bottle #2013/2304). Pours cloudy mahogany with no head and some floaties. Aroma has loads of fruit--green apple, orange, some caramel and a bit of alcohol. Taste is sweet with a bit of bitterness on the end. Alcohol is noticeable, but it doesn’t show 15%. Not bad, but not terribly complex.

trappistlover, May 25, 2011
3.45/5  rDev -10.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

De Molen's Bombs 'n Grenades (funny dutch comic reference), over 15% abv. Nugget hop.
I'm slightly worried.
Brewed 19 januari 2011.
Bottled 11 march 2011.
So it's a pretty fresh sample.

Red brown, with a thin head. Hardly any carbonation.
Smell is boozy, with quite a heavy scent of earthy hops. some floral and herbal.
Taste is more sweet than expected, but the alcohol dominates this brew nevertheless. It is combined with the heavy bitterness and malt sweet. It's wild and unbalanced.

Aftertaste is of alcohol and bitter hops.
Overall, I think this is far too boozy.

RuudJH, May 14, 2011
3.85/5  rDev -0.5%

On tap at De Molen in Bodegraven after the waitress walked the tap list board over to us after asking what was on tap. Cheeky girl. From notes.

A - Really creamy two finger beige head on a deep copper coloured body. Hazy. Great sticky lacing and a big island of head remains. Lovely.

S - Dark fruit malts obvious. Bready with dark rye coming to mind. More mild than exprected.

T - Boozy, sweet, and very malty. No suprises there. Lot's of dark fruit and some obvious hop to balance which is nice and keeps this from being too sweet.

M - Mild carbonation, full bodied, and some chewiness.

O/D - Nice barleywine. Nice and fruity and refreshing on the sunny day. Weak aroma but flavour is what counts for me, so this was good.

tbeckett, May 13, 2011
3.85/5  rDev -0.5%

33cl bottle poured into a snifter. Bottled on Aug. 19, 2010. Bottle # 1644 of 2304.

(A)- Pours a very thick cloudy caramel color. Some white and transparent bubbles.

(S)- A nice rich aroma with candied figs, toffee, and caramel. Hints at subtle fruits, but otherwise a very smooth yet rich malty smell.

(T)- Very similar to the smell. Lots of candied fig, toffee, and caramel. Some heat from the ABV, but not has hot as I was expecting at all.

(M)- A mellow carbonation level. Despite having a massive 15.2% ABV, the alcohol is fairly well integrated. Very rich and sweet to say the least.

(D)- A good english barlewyine. Much too strong for everyday enjoyment, but a good sipper to enjoy. The bottle says this can be cellared for up to 25 years. . I would be curious to put this to the test and see what happens.

sweemzander, Apr 17, 2011
3.88/5  rDev +0.3%

This isn't the prettiest beer but it isn't bad for something at 15% ABV. The deep chestnut brown colour is good with no head being the main issue.

Robust alcohol and dried fruit nose. Quite sweet with port and malt notes. Good on the whole.

Deep, malt on the palate with lots of syrupy fruit character. Raisin dominate. There's some alcohol too. No bitterness. Just a hint of tartness which oddly feels like it is also coming from the sweetness.

Full body with low carbonation. Fine for the style.

A good English Barleywine with nice flavours. The alcohol levels are very noticeable but on the whole it works.

dgilks, Apr 06, 2011
4.03/5  rDev +4.1%

AWESOME! I love high alcohol beers simply because there is so much going on in them...great opportunity to try one of the stronger non-ice-distilled beers out there!

A-To be honest, this pours kinda weak. No head, ruddy, brick, unfiltered look, and a THIN ring of suds on the side of the glass. Not even a hard pour yields a head, and there is zero lacing. BUT! I understand why...high alcohol beers tend to suffer from the inability to produce head, especially 14%+ barleywines. Not going to bitch too much about this, because it is still something I could walk up to without knowing what it is and say "Yeah, I'd put that in my moufff"...

S-CHEA! Molasses, bread, sweet honey, a little tang of phenolic spice and....GINGER???? COMPLEX, BREH!

T-Starts out creamy, then spicy, then fruity, with some rum thrown in there; all of a sudden, here come the bright phenols, and MY GOD, at 15.2%, there is some heat, but nothing that compares to the $120 bottles of Wiskey some people dish out for smoothness....(and yes, I know that this beer does not approach that strength, just a comparison...).

M-So much cream. I'm actually liking the fact that this mofo doesn't have enough carbonation to produce a lasting head...The texture reminds me of Boddington's, and then swings into an inferno of complexities. Why is this not more available? Honestly, it kind of puts AGED Samichlause to shame...that was my go-to strong ass beer! No metallic tastes, no remorse for dishing out more money than a six pack for this thing, I thoroughly enjoy it!

O-Overall, I'd say its a solid brew that could benefit from some solid aging. Five years down the road this is going to be an unbeatable brew, and I dare someone to prove me otherwise.

Cheers, Molen!

slayer3604, Apr 01, 2011
4.28/5  rDev +10.6%

Quite a complex and stimulating take on a big, classic, and long barleywine.

Presentation: 33 cl brown, capped and red-waxed bottle. Standard De Molen Label, text over white background detailing the characteristics of the brew. O.G. 1050, F.G. 1041, EBC Colour 24.3 Hop bill, EBUs 53,9. Adds recommended drinking temperature, and cellaring range (up to 5 yrs.). Shows brewing and bottling date (22 Jan 2010, 23 Feb 2010), and that this is bottle 161 out of a 243 33cl bottles batch, alongside Alc. by Vol. (15.2%) Small drawing of a bomb box and a grenade on the numbering area. Served in a snifter.

A - Hazy deep amber to amber brown pour. No head to speak off, there is a bare bubbly attempt at something but it is probably just a consequence of the pour. Pour bubbles go leaving no head , surface memory, or lacing. Acceptable for something of this magnitude but while not unpleasing it is very shot of enticing.

S - Nose starts going up the ladder revealing a great sweet sense, caramel, malt, fruits... Some fresh some coated in leather, apricot..

T - The mouth goes one step higher with a nice rich long fruity sense riding over the rummy booze, which is well integrated. Caramel, toffee, soft sugar, peach with a hit of tamed hops in the back. Very rich and tasty.

M - Medium to medium-full body more so because of the complexity I guess, and the alcohol that never interferes but that is a big player, with a warm soft touch in the finish, lasting in the tongue. No carbonation, and after all.. It works well with the sweet finish.

D - Hmm, as a complex sipper, as it reaches its full sense, well, it is quite remarkable.

Notes: Quite a progression brew, if one likes it this is the one that goes from blah (appearance) to quite outstanding. I´d love to have a couple around for the aging. Thanks Toño, once again, for the treat.

Daniellobo, Feb 16, 2011
3.85/5  rDev -0.5%

33 cL bottle, OG is 1.150, FG 1.041 so I had to try it, brewed on Tax Day '10, bottled 8/19/10, the day before my mom's birthday, No. 2194/2304,

A: Pours a murky reddish brown. No true head, just some light bubbles. In the style, it's OK.

S: Heavily malty. Raisins and dried fruit. Prunes, brown sugar.

T: Lots of sugary dark fruit. Raisins, figs, dates, big flavours. Somewhat boozy. Not a huge complexity but it tastes good. 53 IBUs, but you're not going to taste any of it.

M: Smooth, very full-bodied and viscous, no carbonation, drinks like a dessert wine. These types of beers can have no carbonation and be fine.

D: It says it can age 25 years and I believe it, a good place to start. Definitely needs to age and bring more complexities to the forefront. Glad to try it.

Halcyondays, Jan 26, 2011
3.45/5  rDev -10.9%

12 oz bottle poured into snifter. batch 8? bottle 623.

a - pour is reddish brown. no head at all.

s - dark fruit, caramel sweetness. some yeasty notes. not much of any booze which is surprising.

t - fig and brown sugar. somewhat weak. can taste some faint hops and fruitiness.

m - thin palate and no carbonation.

overall - kind of a let down. I've got another bottle, and given that it says it can age 25 years, maybe i'll give that a go. it is very drinkable, especially given the abv.

levifunk, Jan 25, 2011
3.35/5  rDev -13.4%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.5

Pours a deeply burnished amber colour. Head is very disappointing, can hardly even call it a 'film' - more a ring, of small bubbles. Lace also non-existent. Body is very cloudy, which is the only indicator this is a beer made with, like, ingredients. Looks like it was just too heavy to handle.

Smell is quite funkadelic. Massive weirdness coming off that with a huge rubbery aroma, like massive. Corporeal edge to it as well, like sweaty socks. Lots of spice as well though - tobacco and nutmeg and even sumac. Yeah, chilli as well, plus cinnamon. Fascinating and complex, points for that. But you know, weird, as well.

Taste is very sweet and heavy. Lots of caramel and vanilla malt flavours on the front and the flavour continues onto the finish. Large tart flavour comes through midway, a hint of rubber on it but largely fruity with concentrated berry notes, some cumquat and brandy booziness on the back. A hint of cinnamon and more sumac definitely on the finish, works well with that booziness to create a rich, full palate. Fruity and heavy, really. An interesting drop, but I'd reach for other beers before this one. I feel like I could get most of the same flavours from a liqueur.

Extremely syrupy mouthfeel, with the kiss of alcohol-related death on the back. Could definitely use more texture as it just seems thick and soupy. Carbonation would help here as well.

Yeah, a very heavy drop, but it is quite pleasant for the most part. A good sipper - could see it being served as an after-dinner beer.

laituegonflable, Oct 22, 2010
3.05/5  rDev -21.2%

Pours a hazed but bright orange-red, almost brown, with absolutely no head whatsoever. It doesn't even fizz as I uncap it. It looks still and heavy and dormant in the glass. Looks very heavy, however; full and thick in the body, with some very small suspended sediment flecks that somehow escaped my ostensibly careful pour. Very interesting, at least.

Nose is big, portly and boozy. Big, rich and sweet, slightly spiritous aromas, that don't particularly rip at my nostrils with their intensity, but which certainly suggest big flavours to come. Lots of brown sugar syrup, dusted coconut ice, and sweet pastry. It's all very round and rich.

Taste is extremely sweet, almost to the extremities of decency. Huge sugary sweetness of roasted toffee, strawberry tart, and straight down the line candy. There's nothing else to it, except the mild acidity through the centre which just evokes different types of lightly fruity and massively heavy sweetness. Feel is smooth and thick as anything.

No, this is too much, as far as I'm concerned. This is a beer that has gone way too far one way and has become unbalanced and difficult to drink. Maybe you're not meant to drink it - maybe you're meant to pour it over ice cream as some sort of sickly delicious sugar syrup, but as a beer, even to sip, it's beyond redemption.

lacqueredmouse, Oct 11, 2010
4.03/5  rDev +4.1%

A: Pours a slightly hazy mahogany with absolutely no head, save a few large bubbles that were a product of a vigorous pour.

S: Caramel, toffee, and brown sugar up front with a biscuity malt character swirling around. Lots of different fruits - figs, plums, raisins, some light citrus, and green apples. Hints of leather and tobacco.

T: Big fruit presence up front with plums, raisins, figs, citrus, and apricots all playing a part. Caramel, toffee, and some toasted graints show up on the mid-palate before giving way to a sweet, fruit filled finish. Alcohol burn is remarkably low for a 15% ABV beer.

M: Has a very wine like feel, light to medium bodied with the faintest of carbonation...usually an undercarbed barleywine feels too heavy and syrupy, but this really works.

D: It's a sipper, but remarkably easy drinking for a 15% ABV, undercarbed barleywine. I'm probably going to pick up another bottle or two, as I'm very curious how this will do with some age on it.

Xul, Sep 02, 2010