Bommen & Granaten - Brouwerij De Molen

Brouwerij De Molen visit their website

English Barleywine |  15.20% ABV

750ml: 53.9 IBU
330ml: 57 IBU

(Beer added by: hoppymeal on 11-12-2008)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters
Holland

3.15/5  rDev -18%

Thanks to Chrisfarleywine for this beer.

A: mostly clear deep brown color with some red and orange tint to it. Head is minimal, but exists for a little while, and the lacing has the smallest bubbles I have ever seen, but still sticks to the sides of the glass.

S: huge aroma of malt, caramel, and dates and raisins. It's about as good as a non-barrel aged barleywine gets for smell.

T: hefty taste of sweet malt, very slight hop bitterness, and a huge back end of mild fruit from raisin to apricot. It is very sweet, though.

M: thick and without much carbonation at all. There is foam sticking to the sides of the glass, but I cannot more than the slightest bit of carbonation.

O: This is so sweet I can't handle it. It's as thick as eggnog, too. Some carbonation in this would bring it back to life, but there is none. Too bad these small pieces bring down an otherwise excellent beer.

04-24-2012 01:44:42 | More by Holland
westcoastbeerlvr

4.5/5  rDev +17.2%

03-29-2012 15:37:48 | More by westcoastbeerlvr
Chrisfarleywine

4.23/5  rDev +10.2%

A - pours very thick with almost no head. Lack of carbonation and very viscous, almost like a thinner caramel sauce.

S - Very malty with heavy notes of caramel. Lots of sugar in here to get the ABV up to the 15%.

T - smell matches the taste. Lots of caramel, malt and a touch of bitterness. If anyone has had a stroopwaffel, imagine that flavor in the beer, but balanced out by bitterness. The sweetness balances out the heat, which is nice.

M - The thickness of the pour didn't match the mouthfeel. There is little carbonation so the liquid is heavy. It seems more of a wine that a beer in feel.

O - good, quality beer. Not what I was expecting but well balanced between esters, malt and bitters. I cellared one and imagine this will be excellent in 5 to 10 years.

03-28-2012 02:42:46 | More by Chrisfarleywine
DARIVA

4.05/5  rDev +5.5%

Beer is a red-brown color with minimal head.
Very soft beer with a little tingle.
Beer is pretty sweet and has a link with wine.
Furthermore, I sense the presence of grenadine and raisins.
Taste remains long in the mouth.
Particular, it is, however, that the beer which is to settle, so that there is a slight emulsion, the bottom of the glass remains in place, which is similar to the grenadine.

03-11-2012 09:19:56 | More by DARIVA
GregSVT

12oz waxed bottle into a wine glass

A: Pours hazy reddish brown with an off white head that fades to a ring and leaves a tiny bit of lacing.

S: The nose is full of caramel, toffee, orange marmalade, and an earthy hops.

T: The taste is incredibly sweet...almost cloying. Big flavors of toffee, caramel, and that earthy flavor from the nose which kind of cuts the sweetness at the finish to keep it from being cloying.

M: The feel is on the thicker side of medium and a bit oily on the finish.

O: Pretty basic Barleywine but a pretty sweet one. The abv is there but you can't really tell its at 15%.

02-11-2012 23:42:08 | More by GregSVT
pokesbeerdude

Colorado

4.15/5  rDev +8.1%

33cl bottle (even if the label says its a 1pt 9.4fl oz bottle) bottled Feb 24 2010. No bottle number in the spot, just a picture of a grenade. I think I got this from Liquor Max in Loveland, CO for around $13. Into an Epic snifter.

A: Pours a beautiful light mahogany color, almost exactly the same shade as my faded brown Les Paul Studio, one of my favorite shades of brown. No head at all, not even any bubbles that would resemble carbonation, even if there was a slight hiss when the bottle was opened. Regardless, for a 15% barleywine this isn't exactly surprising. The color is perfect.

S: Huge rich and bready malt profile, absolutely huge all the way around. Tons of caramel, overripe cherries. Probably the truest definition of a malt bomb that I've ever smelled. Surprisingly enough there is zero booze, pretty respectable for a 15%+ beer.

T: Again a ton of malt in this beer. Tastes a lot like the first runnings from an IPA I recently brewed, or basically like drinking straight amber malt extract. Really sweet, tons of caramel and grain, no real bitterness to speak of. No boozey flavors to speak of either. A slightly burnt sugar/almost roasted barley flavor finds its way on to the tongue way in the back. A really sweet, yet tasty beer. Perfect for dessert.

M: Fairly thick, absolutely zero carbonation, and a sweet finish. A touch of warmth, but really nothing that would trigger this as a 15% beer. Sticky. Just a touch of carbonation would really help.

O: Really tasty, and very flavorful, but it would help out if it was carbonated. Impressive stuff though. I can't really think of any other beer that fits this much of a malt profile into the flavor with this high of an abv without being obscenely boozey. Glad to try it, and I wonder how a bottle would taste with 25 years of age on it.

01-22-2012 04:10:48 | More by pokesbeerdude
rarbring

Sweden

3.45/5  rDev -10.2%

A clear red and brown, dark copper, colored beer, a small off-white head with no lacing, and good curtains.

Smelling of brown sugar, bread and bitter oranges.

The taste is ever so sweet, syrup and caramel, brown sugar, apple juice and bitter orange peel.

Little carbonation, soft and oily, almost sticky, a soft warm finish.

A sweet and sticky dessert.

01-11-2012 21:00:20 | More by rarbring

12-31-2011 07:02:54 | More by guytyping
champ103

2.03/5  rDev -47.1%

This is an 08 bottle.

A: Pours a murky, almost opaque, but dirty looking rusted brown color. A tiny, thin, bubbly white head forms, and fizzles out in an instant. Looks flat and lifeless.
S: Very sweet malt, plums, figs, moldy wood, hot fusel alcohol. Over barring sweetness and alcohol in the nose.
T: Again, just way over barring. Huge sweetness and residual sugars. Some dried fruits. Apricots, plums. Very vinous as well. Though mostly hot, burning alcohol.
M/D: A sticky, syrupy body that is pretty much flat. Wow, I can not finish this. Just to much. One of the hottest, most alcoholic forward beers I have had.

The bottle is about 3 years old. Though still over barring and unpleasant. Not something I will touch again for a long, long time. If ever.

12-29-2011 04:51:50 | More by champ103
Thehuntmaster

South Africa

4.53/5  rDev +18%

330ml bottle 15,2% Abv.
Served lightly chilled in an over sized wine glass.
Bottled on: 23/08/2011 good for 25 years.

Other bottle information:
EBC: 45
EBU: 57

De Molen seems to have a bit of a problem with their bottle filling machine; this bottle was filled right to the top, there was almost no air!
I wasn't expecting much of a hiss when I opened the bottle, but there was no audible noise - I hope the beer isn't totally flat.

Appearance: Bommen & Granaten almost gloops out of the bottle - it looks amazing thick and syrupy. The body is a lightly clouded reddish-amber with beautiful orange edges when backlit. To my relief a small collar of white foam forms and lasts most of the way down. A light swirl yields light alcohol legs.

Smell: Mmmmm, big sweetness to start - toffee, treacle and brown sugar covered cooked apples, dates, figs and plums. Molasses, some sherry character, candied citrus, golden raisins and a touch of nutmeg are also noted. As the beer warms I was very surprised to find an earthy leather note. The 15% is not noted in any way in the nose.

Taste: As with the nose, the flavour is stunning. Initially very sweet with toffee, treacle and brown sugar notes. This is followed by plums, stewed apples, dates, figs and golden raisins. Light rum and sherry notes are present, but in flavour only as the alcohol is superbly well hidden, there is a light warming in the back of the throat, but nothing that would make me think this was more than 10%. This finish is lightly bitter with the faintest note of earthy hops.

Mouthfeel: Stunning feel - quite heavy, sticky (almost syrupy body) with very mild carbonation that is just enough to lift the beer and keep it from being cloying.

Overall: I adore these massive beers and this is one of the best! I will certainly have this again. I think it would be a perfect after dinner drink on a cold winter’s night.
Surprisingly this is also my mother's favourite of all the beers I have given her.

12-28-2011 09:16:21 | More by Thehuntmaster
monty2000

Norway

4.5/5  rDev +17.2%

12-17-2011 21:10:52 | More by monty2000
Solether

12-14-2011 22:51:21 | More by Solether
xmorgan

The labeling on this Beer SUX, I am being constructive because I really dig this beer. However there are about 4 or 5 classifications on the web for this beer.

I love beer, I really like Beer Advocate, there are others but this is the site I use.

Beer is a hobby of mine, and I love tasting all kinds of beers, I travel for work (41 countries and almost all the continental US). And I try to sample and review where ever I go.

This Beer I got at perhaps a reall Kewl Beer store in the Bay Area. The Willows Market in Menlo Park.

The Beer Manager (yes they have someone who's job is beer) recommended it to me.

I forgot what kind of beer it was, but I was in a beer stocking mission.

I put it in my Cellar (14 Deg C) where I put anything that is Like a Barley Wine or Most Belgians. On A Whim, after a fresh Hop NOR CAL IPA Beer I wanted something well, different.

I popped the cap and poured into a Konigshoeven Glass.

Appearance: Foamless if you omit the tiny ring of bubbles at the rim that disappear soon after you finish pouring into the goblet.
Rusty reddish brown with a fair amount of "Sinkers" (residual yeast) on the bottom.

Smell: WOW. SWEAT! Fruit and malt comes through very strong. Maltose, if you were running for president I would crown you, the maltiness and fruit in this pour was wonderful.

This beer reminds me of a Port. The sweetness and warmth really make this a desert beer.

I was so inclined to have a Ice Cream Sunday with Whipped Cream as I slowed my night down to enjoy this beer.

It is big, I should say BIG! A casual observer might try this beer with the wrong palette and not get it. If taken too early in the day, or prior to eating, your mouth would or could find the sweetness in this beer offensive.

But taken later, after thirst and hunger are quenched, perhaps after a meal and prior to or in leu of desert, this beer will hit you correctly.

Afternoon sessions of beer can be detrimental to beer styles. Especially barley wines and spiced christmas beers, beers better consumed after the sun has retired and our practical selfs have also retired.

Taste: Sipped and not quaffed as you would an ale or lager. This beer is sweet. This beer is a desert beer. The prune and date sweetness, almost like a molasses comes through, but it finishes dry.

This is a beer to relish, to enjoy at the end of the day, while reading or writing about beer.

I an enjoy this beer on introspective occasions.

Mouthfeel: I can suck at my cheeks for hours after drinking this and enjoy the after taste.

Overall: I really like this beer. I will stock it in my cellar for special occasions. It is not cheap, $9.99 US for the 33CL bottle.

One Bottle could server 2 easily if you sever like port.

At 15.2% it could make the space up.

This goes well with B&J Super Fudge Chunk and Whipped cream!

11-16-2011 09:22:25 | More by xmorgan
Brent

Kentucky

2.65/5  rDev -31%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Interesting bottle - very artisanal label with a thin, rather oily, red wax coating over the metal cap. Pour was dark chestnut with little head. Very low level of carbonation, bordering on flat. Heavy dose of brown sugar with prune and dried fruit in the background. ETOH was prominent and biting, stabbing through the sweetness with a jagged edge. Finish was overly-sweet and cloying. Unfortunately, I'm just not digging this beer.

09-12-2011 13:39:28 | More by Brent
Mebuzzard

Colorado

3.6/5  rDev -6.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A 2009 small bottle, red wax.

A liquid caramel pour, perhaps a shade darker. Slick. Little off-brown head. Legs on the side.

Aroma is strong. Malty. Sweet. Rich caramel and candied sugar. Hard to detect anything much after that due to alcohol.

Strong flavors. Caramel and toffee dominate. Candied apples--overripe. Sweet fruits, raisin. Fain wet leather some herbal spice thrown around.

Syrupy feel to it, no carbonation and that surprises me a little bit given the abv and bottle conditioning. Boozey on the end. Glad it was the small bottle

09-11-2011 05:39:01 | More by Mebuzzard
jwinship83

4.2/5  rDev +9.4%

11.2oz red waxed capped bottle drank out of my duvel tulip. a questionable choice for a 97degree day, but it just called my name. review #1000.

A- the pour yields a very murky reddish brown body with barely any head on top at all. what there is appears cream colored and becomes no more than a crown in a matter of seconds. nothing is left on the sides of glass as far as lacing goes.

S- the massive amount of alcohol makes itself apparent immediately. after that i get some intense sweetness from brown sugar, caramel, toffee, and a variety of fruits. plums, figs, dates, raisins, and cherries. very faint earthy hops finish this one off.

T- the taste starts off with more of the sweet malts that i could smell. caramel and toffee lead the way, with brown sugar coming in after that. then come the fruits. cherries, raisins, plums, dates, and figs. there are faint earthy hops at the end. the alcohol seems very well hidden for something this large.

M- the body is on the upper side of medium. the carbonation is on the extreme low side without being actually gone, which really works well here. palate coating and syrupy. moderate warmth from the alcohol which is more than ok for something this massive.

O- obviously too strong to drink more than one of, and the one i drank took me some time. a definite sipper, but very enjoyable. ill definitely be picking some more of this up to see how it ages. the bottle claims it can stand up after 25 years in a cellar.

07-23-2011 22:54:39 | More by jwinship83
cindyjeffsmith

Georgia

4.33/5  rDev +12.8%

appearance: Hazy, dusky reddish tan. Slight head and lacing but pretty damn full for a 15%er.
smell: Some fruitiness and malt. Very tame for such a beast.
taste: This is nice. Mellow and full. A hint of something like raspberry. Complex but tame.
overall: Thanks to my buddy for a fantastic birthday present that included this. A very unique and wonderful concoction.

07-02-2011 01:28:19 | More by cindyjeffsmith
xaulzan

3.6/5  rDev -6.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Just dropped $10 on this 12oz bottle, and I must say, I've had better. In so, so many ways.

Puppy farts are the worst, yet, they come out of the cutest things on Earth, so you can hardly be mad at them. Puppies wag their tail at you as if they didn't just put the taste of poop in your mouth, but they know. Trust me, they know. Even after you are tasting the fecal matter, at least the puppy isn't taking $10 from you. At least not directly, more in the form of food and bills at the veterinarian.

Although consequences matter, so do intentions. And all this puppy wanted me to do was love it for who it is: a peeing, pooping on the floor, shit for brains son of a bitch. I can appreciate that. It just wanted some love. Not everybody is able to poop in the correct place, even after they get the shit beat out of them repeatedly. They're "forgetful". Forgetful in the same way that men forget to put down the toilet seat or women forget to stop complaining all the time.

But let's talk about this beers intentions. It is a high alcohol English Barley Wine packaged in a sexy looking bottle. So sexy, in fact, that I decided to give my money to the clerk in exchange for this bottle. I'm a sucker for cool typography. The wax dip just tops her off.

It means well, it really does. It has a complex palate of caramel and mixed fruits, but the mouthfeel is something that I just can't get on board with.

Appearance: Pours a caramel color with a hint of ruby red. Zero carbonation

Smell: Smells of alcohol, apricots, caramel and maybe some figs. Difficult to tell at this point, I'm almost done drinking it and the alcohol is starting to get to me

Taste: Too sweet. I taste assorted fruits, but more of a candied version of them. Very sweet. Too sweet for me, no bitterness at all

Mouthfeel: Aunt Jemima just pooped in my mouth

Overall: Not bad, but not $10 good. I much prefer the Heaven and Hell which is also by Brouwerij De Molen, but costs $1 less. Won't be purchasing again, far too sweet for me

06-20-2011 06:09:09 | More by xaulzan
dirtylou

Washington

3.98/5  rDev +3.6%

33cl bottle, brought back from Holland.

#2069/2506

bottled 8/27/09 - best consumed within 25 years

appearance: standard black typewriter font on white label, eroded red wax over the cap. the cap pops to absolutely no sound and is poured into my delirium chalice. clear amber mahogany turns to a cloud as the sediment sneaks in. no head, a few misplaced bubbles that instantly vanish

smell: caramel, tobacco, molasses, pine sap, rum covered fruit

taste: 15.2% is buried somewhere - quite sweet but lacking any real bitterness - caramel, rum soaked apple and plum, brown sugar, citrus peel. fascinating how well the alcohol hides (at least on the palate) - otherwise, not particularly exciting but a fun ride

mouthfeel: no carbonation, medium body, slightly syrupy

overall: not de molen's finest work, but a dangerously drinkable abv monster

06-14-2011 02:58:26 | More by dirtylou
auroracrisis

Kentucky

3.95/5  rDev +2.9%

Poured from a capped and waxed 12oz into a 22oz brandy snifter.

Pours a still murky ruby brown color. Absolutely no head on this even while pouring. Not even some bubbles from agitation.

The smell is rich with raisins, figs, apricots and caramel like sweetness that give into rum like notes. Some plum in there too. The sweetness begins to really come out once the brew warms up. No booze in there which is surprising at this level.

Upon sipping, the beer welcomes you with a toffee sweetness that fades into candied dark fruit flavors like plum, raisins, figs, etc. The sweetness becomes a bit much once it warms up a bit. Almost tastes like a German chocolate cake coconut frosting at that point with a bit of rum mixed in. Not bad, just a little overbearing at points and could use some balance. But it's surprising that there is not booze in the taste. At 15.2%, one would think you could definitely taste some alcohol, or boozeyness.

Mouthfeel is full and still. The sweetness can become a bit cloying at times...

Overall, this is a good beer but is a bit sweet and not as complex as something like an aged JW Lees Harvest Ale or MS Arctic Devil. It certainly isn't a bad beer though, I do like it. But would I pay $10 for another 12oz I'm not sure. The most impressive part is the hidden alcohol burn. I am pretty impressed with what they have done there.

I would like to see what time does to this beer though, it says on the back you can age it up to 25 years. Maybe I am drinking it prematurely but who knows...

05-26-2011 05:38:40 | More by auroracrisis
trappistlover

Arizona

3.53/5  rDev -8.1%

(330cl bottle from Bruery Provisions. Bottle #2013/2304). Pours cloudy mahogany with no head and some floaties. Aroma has loads of fruit--green apple, orange, some caramel and a bit of alcohol. Taste is sweet with a bit of bitterness on the end. Alcohol is noticeable, but it doesn’t show 15%. Not bad, but not terribly complex.

05-25-2011 05:53:21 | More by trappistlover
RuudJH

3.45/5  rDev -10.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

De Molen's Bombs 'n Grenades (funny dutch comic reference), over 15% abv. Nugget hop.
I'm slightly worried.
Brewed 19 januari 2011.
Bottled 11 march 2011.
So it's a pretty fresh sample.

Red brown, with a thin head. Hardly any carbonation.
Smell is boozy, with quite a heavy scent of earthy hops. some floral and herbal.
Taste is more sweet than expected, but the alcohol dominates this brew nevertheless. It is combined with the heavy bitterness and malt sweet. It's wild and unbalanced.

Aftertaste is of alcohol and bitter hops.
Overall, I think this is far too boozy.

05-14-2011 12:13:27 | More by RuudJH
tbeckett

Ontario (Canada)

3.85/5  rDev +0.3%

On tap at De Molen in Bodegraven after the waitress walked the tap list board over to us after asking what was on tap. Cheeky girl. From notes.

A - Really creamy two finger beige head on a deep copper coloured body. Hazy. Great sticky lacing and a big island of head remains. Lovely.

S - Dark fruit malts obvious. Bready with dark rye coming to mind. More mild than exprected.

T - Boozy, sweet, and very malty. No suprises there. Lot's of dark fruit and some obvious hop to balance which is nice and keeps this from being too sweet.

M - Mild carbonation, full bodied, and some chewiness.

O/D - Nice barleywine. Nice and fruity and refreshing on the sunny day. Weak aroma but flavour is what counts for me, so this was good.

05-13-2011 21:07:03 | More by tbeckett