Hel & Verdoemenis - Brouwerij De Molen

Hel & VerdoemenisHel & Verdoemenis

Brouwerij De Molen visit their website
Netherlands

Russian Imperial Stout |  10.20% ABV

(Beer added by: paco1029384756 on 01-22-2009)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters
Reviews by FernMaster:
FernMaster

Missouri

4.28/5  rDev +3.1%

I've decided to write this review as if I was the conclusion of a trendy network show. After the link finishes buffering read on: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cwqhdRs4jyA&playnext=1&videos=EMK9E6j-i1c&feature=artistob
(copy and pasting may be necessary.)

Poured from the bottle into a pint glass.

To me this is a snifter beer, plus it's a fun word to say. Sadly all I had was a pint glass, I had great company so that counter balances it completely.

I went back to my former home of Columbia, Mo for the weekend and along the way I stopped by Gomer's Independence to acquire some awesome beer; once of which was Hel & Verdoemenis. I bought this because the $22 price tag was just as exciting to me as the limited release, this beer was 1 of 1094, I had to have it. Plus, this was amends to a friend of mine, who our summer plans were to visit each other in their respective town and show them the other the merits of living in either, her Saint Louis, MO me Kansas City, MO (KC-MO, Whoooo). Sadly our summer plans fell apart, but this beer was a backbone of a great evening.

I brought this over to her apartment and after enjoying the hell out of some Fantome we opened this. H&V is a beer that cannot be enjoyed under normal circumstances, this is a beer that Denny Crane and Alan Shore would have enjoyed on a their balcony at the end of another amazing episode; which is what we did. Sitting on her balcony, people watching, enjoying some beer I began to reflect on my former home, my college town and miss the fuck out of it. This is where the song comes into play. Sitting on the balcony drinking an imperial stout that had zero head, and no carbonation, pitch black as dark, I began to look at how limited my experiences in Columbia were as to this beer. How there was much more life their I want to live, but I was glad for it's fleeting moments, because of it's exclusivity, I enjoyed it the most.

A wonderful smell emerged from the glass, a complex coffee scent that would make the biggest coffee nerds turn their heads, a rich chocolate scent, maybe some raisins, with a hint of smoke and alcohol, I was enchanted. This was like walking onto Mizzou's campus for the first time without my parents. A sense I loved, but wasn't overwhelming. I could get used to this. As time passed, it warmed up and more complexity was added to the flavor hitting your nose.

I love balconies. They add a sort of dynamic to whatever happens, from sitting and reading, to drinking, to simply playing around on your computer as the sun falls. This beer and the irreverent dialogue that follows is 1 in 1094. The odds may not seem that great, but when you're the 1, that's the best odds that could happen to you in the world. The taste of this beer was everything that the look may have lacked and the nose eluded to. This rich, robust chocolate flavor along with the coffee, which dazzled my roommates roommate (who dislikes beer) was perfectly balanced and it left such an amazing after taste that you were happy to empty the pockets for this beer; the smoke was there as was the alcohol itself which burned a little, but in a good way. I may have noticed some plum or other sort of fruit along those lines in the beer. It was an absolute joy to drink.

The mouthfeel was sadly weak, like my degree. The mouthfeel was watery, weak and it lacked character. As you drank more and as it warmed up it became clearer why it was good and why you were glad you spent the time with it, it became better with age.

Drinkablity seems like a laugh in all honesty as there's so few out in there in the world. There may be others like it, but there's truly so few. It's expensive, but as you drink you realize it's worth the investment. You can hold onto it for twenty-five years (as it says on the label) and it still may be good. It will never be as good as when you were with it the moment you bought it, that evening enjoying it with your closest friends at that time. Twenty-five years is a long time from now, priorities and you will change by then, enjoy it the moment you buy it (it's more than enough of a reason to open it) with you friends on a balcony - don't drink this alone - there's only you, your friends and now, your memories can come later.

08-29-2010 08:46:11 | More by FernMaster

Romania

07-13-2014 14:13:03 | More by Marius
boudeysbigbrew

4.15/5  rDev 0%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.25

appearance - As black as black can be with dark brown edges. Had a semi medium aggressive pour which surprisingly resulted in zero head.

smell - dark chocolate is the most prominent thing that comes to mind

taste - Major coffee and chocolate hints to be found. Somewhat nutty. Not much boozyness to be found here.

mouthfeel - Medium thickness. Not quite as thick as I like my imperial stouts to be. Practically no carbonation.

overall - I'm in the netherlands for a month due to a work project, so obviously I immediately searched out the solid offerings this country has. Turns out Europe does not have the infatuation with stouts like we do here in America. Overall though, this is a pretty solid russian imperial stout that has managed to soothe my needs for a European stout.

07-13-2014 08:42:58 | More by boudeysbigbrew