Heaven & Hell - Brouwerij De Molen

Heaven & HellHeaven & Hell

Brouwerij De Molen visit their website
Netherlands

American Double / Imperial Stout |  10.20% ABV

(Beer added by: rvdoorn on 09-07-2009)

Bottled 2010.

This is the color of dirt/soil, black-brown with a foamy crema topping. Aroma is earthy, reminiscent of woodsy mushrooms (a borrowed descriptor, overheard but still apropos), not button mushrooms but I’m thinking more like shiitakes. Wonderfully complex. Layers of flavors, sweet and luscious with an oily booziness that coats the mouth. Rich, thick, with a sharp bitterness. Simply amazing. Bottle says you can age this for 25 years.

elNopalero, Feb 28, 2012
4.78/5  rDev +20.4%

Pours a rich, night-black sable with a VERY thick and persistent chocolaty-brown head. The sample I got fizzed as if doing so would help the Cubs win the World Series - so if you get this in a bottle, open it with care! Strong, smoky aroma has tones of sweet chocolate, quality roast coffee and molasses as well as a hint of caramel. Mouth-filling smoky flavor has tones of high-quality mocha and molasses, as well has hints of caramel and licorice. It is a bit on the sweet side, but otherwise the flavor is simply superb. Texture is thick, smooth, oily and fizzy, leaving a smoky and tingly finish. A must for all Stouties!

Cyberkedi, Jun 05, 2011
4.75/5  rDev +19.6%

enelson, Apr 01, 2012
4.75/5  rDev +19.6%

Bonko_the_sane, May 13, 2013
4.58/5  rDev +15.4%

From the label: "This beer will be good for 25 years if kept cool and dark." But I just don't have that kind of time, so off comes the cap tonight. Brewed on August 26, 2010, bottled on October 5, 2010. If only all breweries were as up front about such trivial things, eh?

Quite a powerful "ziss!" upon prying the cap off (which was lightly waxed). It's a damn beautiful beer in the glass, blackness as deep and wide as the cosmos, and a super-tight mocha colored head made of zillions of snap-crackle-poppin' bubbles.

Aroma is mostly smoky and rich dark chocolate tones, some nice nutty coffee-like roast as well. A hint of mineral in the background, which is suppressed by a noticeable, enjoyable and not-at-all overbearing alcohol edge. [Okay, as-it-happens reportage here: this is a funny beer. I poured half into the glass, and the other half is currently in the bottle. Every 20 seconds or so a froth comes peeking over the bottle neck, pops and disappears, and repeats. This thing is alive!!!]

Taste: total liquid fudge action. Or liquid brownie. That really gooey, moist kind of deep, dark chocolate brownie. Chocolate abounds here, and brings with it tones of dark roast coffee. It's curious that the hops are pumped on the label (Sladek and Saaz) when it's really the malt that not only drives this thing, but wins the race for it. Oh, the hops are present, lending a bright edge to the heavy-handed and gooey malt center. Rich but not too rich, warming but not hot, hoppy but hops that let the malt take center stage. The taste of this beer blows my freaking mind.

I might have liked just a tad less carbonation, or nearly NO carbonation (like Bell's wonderful Expedition Stout), but the heavy body and just-right stickiness still make a nice textural match for what the taste buds are deciphering.

So, a Dutch stout modeled on the big American craft approach, using Czech hops. This is why I love adventurous brewers and the beer they make. And in this case it's a total success. It's a damn travesty this isn't rated higher here (currently has a B+ average). Maybe it's not rare enough. Or just doesn't have much hype behind it for whatever reason. But damn this is one delightful stout that leans on the hefty, dessert-y side, and does absolutely but absolutely everything right.

Metalmonk, Aug 03, 2011
4.55/5  rDev +14.6%

Pours an almost impentrable black, with just the barest hits of slightly-transclucent brown highlights. The mocha head absolutely billows out of this thing, with large bubbles for most of the head, and much finer bubbles at the top. It took me about 5 minutes of pouring and waiting to get a properly filled glass. Once I finally got it full and properly proportioned, it was a thing of beauty. Unfortunately, pretty much no lacing. If it at least had light lacing, I could give it a 4.5 - but none at all gets it knocked to a 4.

The appearance set high expectations, and the nose doesn't disappoint. Massive, intense notes of chocolate and coffee. This is one of the best smelling beers I've ever buried my nose in. At this point, the suspense is intense - I've gotta taste this thing.

And...it meets the hype that the appearance and nose built. The explosion of chocolate and coffee in the nose show up here again. Coffee, chocolate in general, but specifically dark chocolate, roasted malts and a splash of smokiness. Typically I detest a smokey taste in my beers, but it's okay here - the medley of flavors works. Each swallow leaves a bitter chocolate aftertaste resting on the tongue. But I like it - it's a constant reminder of the deliciousness I just sipped moments before.

Unfortunately, my first sips likewise bring my first criticism of this brew - I don't like the mouthfeel. There's too much carbonation and bubbliness here. (Is bubbliness a word?) I'd rather this brew coat my mouth with velvetty smoothness, but instead I get this coarse tingling. Big time bummer on that one. I'd like to see the carbonation dialed back quite a bit.

All in all, though, this is one fabulous brew. A better mouthfeel would have brought this thing to damn near perfection. Even still, this is absolutely top notch. Easily the best imperial stout I've had from Europe.

I'd love to try a bourbon barrel aged version of this. That'd be epic.

Edit: Felt I should add this. I drank the beer slowly over an hour or so, and after warming and sitting out for a bit, the carbonation seemed to mellow considerably. It became much smoother and less prickly. If it had felt like that from the beginning, it would have easily been a 4 for mouthfeel.

Mavajo, Jul 22, 2010
4.55/5  rDev +14.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

A: Pours very smooth with no head at all. Thick dark coffee color with some reddish hues.

S: Alcohol dominates but other scents come through. Chocolate, coffee, sweet, honey, oak, pine, molasses.

T: Same as smell. The taste is well balanced in this beer. The stout flavors comes through with some cream and chocolate and coffee hints. Then a little sour brings through some of the more oaky notes. Then the sour kick of the alcohol hits but quickly fades to a sweetness that isn't really honey... maybe a more chocolaty sweetness, you know, one that's more smooth than sharp.

M: Very surprising how the alcohol is under control on the palate. It sits smooth with the most subtle carbonation. Creamy notes start to develop.

Overall a surprisingly great beer. I was skeptical given the nature of this beer that it was going to be overwhelming and I wasn't going to love it, but this beer really keeps everything under control. Certainly intense but also very doable - a very great beer.

Jamesthebrit, May 24, 2012

BenTherHppedThat, Dec 09, 2011
4.5/5  rDev +13.4%

Poured from the bottle into a large snifter glass. Bottled on October 5th 2010. Bottle number 2036.

A slight gusher but not too bad from opening. Impressive head of dark brown coffee cream and chocolate. Body is classic case of dark walnut black/brown. Retention is sick but eventually calms down. Crazy lacing breakup and super foamy.

Nose is a good mix of light molasses, coffee mild roast and milk chocolate. Very nice with barleywine like heat and hint of bitterness. Real nice lots of things going on.

Taste is really delicious. Taste seems to follow the nose with one exception. Molasses lightly in the palate but then a soft mild black licorice sense. Some milky chocolate comes out a bit. Licorice angle comes out in a very rich way but never totally dominates. Thick palate but rich and velvety, without being syrupy. No boozyness sense incredibly easy drinking. Palate has a mild small carbonation and when focusing on it even gives the drink a sense of rich sweet cola taste.

Overall just a great example of what a stout can be. Great beer!

smakawhat, Oct 13, 2011
4.5/5  rDev +13.4%

Bottle consumed at Tryst in Delray Beach courtesy of Greg, thanks! Do not remember the bottle info

A: Pours a super viscous looking pitch black...10w-40. Gorgeous brown cap, and decent head/head retention for the big ABV.

S: Wow, just wow. Tons of ripe berries on top of chocolate covered strawberries. Chocolate, alcohol, wood, and some good hopping. Pretty complex

T: Craziness going on here, berries again, alcohol provides warmth but it doesn't take away from the flavor, leather, vanilla, wood (barrel??), tons of chocolate and hop bitterness to balance. Really opens up with proper decanting.

MF/O: Thick, velvety, and silky on the palate. Bitterness gives it some bite, but the carbonation is pretty mellow. Overall a very pleasant surprise, and in my opinion, deserves a better rating. I will be seeking this out again.

scottyshades, Apr 06, 2011

quantumcipher, Jan 07, 2012
4.5/5  rDev +13.4%

A: Poured from a bottle to a pint glass. Had a black color and a completely thick consistency. There was a gigantic, creamy, tan-colored, long-lasting head. Very good lacing.

S: A strong aroma of coffee, malt, chocolate and booze.

T: Tasted of coffee, roasted malt, and booze up front, with a slight chocolate tinge in the finish. Has a much more overpowering flavor than most of this style, but is still complex and possessing a big flavor. Almost closer in character to a Russian Imperial Stout than an American Double

M: A good amount of carbonation with a slick finish. Full-bodied.

D: An excellent, drinkable beer.

avalon07, Oct 07, 2010

dprophet, Jan 22, 2012
4.5/5  rDev +13.4%

2010 bottle don't know how I found this.

A: actually a gusher after 4 years. Poured it fast enough and got some great sticky viscosity. Oh so dark with lasting foamy carbonation.

S: decadent chocolate. Roasty malts. So clean just damn near perfect.

T: Hard bitter and roasted chocolate with thick malty character. Very sweet. Mollasas and deep port characters. So well balanced.

M: Holds beautifully throughout just really sweet, sticky, and coating with German chocolate aftertaste. Creamy.

O: I can't believe this isn't rated over 90. Did I just get a great bottle? This is proof how bad the rating system is. Nothing in the US non barrel aged can hold a candle to this. Gotta find more since its retired. Much like cease and desist which I'm still saddened is retired as well.

putonyourwalkingshoes, Sep 12, 2014
4.43/5  rDev +11.6%

Bottled on October 5, 2010. Bottle #2049.

A - Pitch black, three fingers of mocha head that slowly gets bigger and bigger then slowly subsides, light lacing.

S - Smoke, coffee beans, oats, spicy hops, brown sugar, light cocoa.

T - Rich chocolate, roasted malts, smoke, spicy hops, slight burnt sugars, finishes with dark grains, espresso, and saaz hops.

M - Full bodied, moderate carbonation.

O - Great beer, if you can find it I would suggest picking up a bottle or two.

$9.99 @ Honeygo Wine & Spirits, Nottingham, MD.

Rickythejeweler, Jul 28, 2012
4.4/5  rDev +10.8%

Bottle from some place in Atlanta.
Number 676 from 1206 bottles. It is a 33cl (11.2oz) bottle.
Brewed Nov. 23 2009, bottled on Jan. 08 2010.

Pops with one of the best sounds I have ever heard from a bottle... though it made me run for cover, yet strangely enough didn't foam out everywhere, despite the sound that it would. One of the Loudest pops I have ever had.
Pours with a ton of head that is taking too damn long for my inpatient ass. Pours thick and black, and actually looks oily in the glass.
smells HUGE. Ash, chocolate, coffee and booze. You know that something that you cant put your finger on, that smells thick, I like that smell...
Taste is boozy, thick, coffee... Lots of Roasted malt. The label says will age nicely for 25 years, and I believe it. I have been disappointed in their other beers, but this is really nice!
Mouthfeel does have a thick oil feel to it. doesnt really detract from it though. Bitter finish that just seems to wrap it up.

crusian, Oct 08, 2010
4.4/5  rDev +10.8%

A: holy wow! lots of head which is always a plus in my book. Really nice dark beer with the brown chocolate millk head that I always like to see as well. Head retention just doesnt go away and all it does is stick to the glass. Im gonna have to take off half a point just because its to carbonated. I had to wait 5 minutes to get a sip

S: Big bitter nuttiness. lots of roasted flavors in there. the usual chocolate a slight coffee. just what im looking for

T: Really really nutty. thats about as nutty stout that ive had. I'm trying to place what type of nut but its more like a nutshell. it has the bitter almost walnut shell. Not to much chocolate or coffee like usual... which is a good thing.. its different.

M: just a touch thin but barely. The carbonation blows up just a bit to much.

D: This beer isnt hot at all IMO. big flavors but easy drinking. The only thing I really dont love is the excessive carbonation. Take that away and this is a really really good beer

chefmikeanderson, Jul 25, 2010
4.35/5  rDev +9.6%

Poured this into a tulip from a bottle that is just under a year old. I'm pretty pumped. The pours at black, with a huge mocha colored head that takes up about two thirds of the glass. I'm wondering if I poured this wrong. The smell is roasty and a bit charred with a bit of smoke. Bitter coffee aromas flood my nostrils with earthy undertones. This is probably one of the most pleasant smelling beers I've had, nothing but enjoyable.

This has a great flavor. Toasty and robust. This beer seems to be full of the flavors I'd expect from an imperial stout; roasted malts, cocoa and bitter espresso undertones all complemented nicely with some earthiness. My only complaint is a slight alcohol burn, but I feel like that is me trying to find something I don't like.

Smooth mouthfeel and spot on flavors make this a big winner for me. It's a bit of a sipper, but hell I won't be upset about have this out front of me for about an hour.

Bendurgin, Sep 13, 2010
4.33/5  rDev +9.1%

So I poured this bad boy into my duvel tulip glass and had to wait a long time for the head to subside. I have never seen a beer foam up so fast in this glass. Most beers pour in even when I'm sloppy without much fuss. Crossing my fingers I didn't get a bad batch. While I wait I tell you the head is a mocha a color full of tiny micro bubbles. There is no cascade to watch. The smell is nice very chocolaty with a hint of a bourbon notes. Well the beer is not bad; or if it is it's a really good bad beer :P The flavor is light on the initial chocolate I was smelling initially. The subtle bourbon is now more of what I'm getting. The overall flavor is very well balanced and doesn't attack and take over you mouth. The finish is a nice linger of very mellow bitterness. The mouth feel is full bodied with very little carbonation.

Overall I think this is a fantastic beer. Very well crafted. I really enjoy the flavor that was crafted. The labels are cool for their simplicity. They look like old prescription apothecary labels.

broken22, Aug 21, 2011
4.28/5  rDev +7.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Unbelievable aroma of roasted malts, coffee, chocolate and licorice. Pitch black, firm brown head, good lace. Sweet, heavily hopped, chocolate, coffee and a hint of licorice. Full, sticky, light dry mouth feel and warming. Powerful, heavy and flavourful. Great stuff but I was glad it wasn't their usual 75cl bottle but just a small one. Just enough!

johnnybravo, Dec 30, 2009

DruRho, Mar 19, 2013

nmann08, Jul 01, 2012

uturn, Dec 12, 2011
4.25/5  rDev +7.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

11.2oz, bottled 10/5/2010, #1712
Riedel tulip

A: Pours a very deep black color. Looks epically dark going into the glass. Very tight bubbled bottle conditioned, light tan head. Sticks around a long time.

S: Dark black licorice. Molasses. Bark. Burnt chocolate. Some light vanilla.

T: Lots of dark chocolate right up front. Roast malts. Some vanilla.

M: Full bodied. Some creaminess.

inlimbo77, Feb 05, 2014