Heaven & Hell - Brouwerij De Molen

Brouwerij De Molen visit their website

Russian Imperial Stout |  12.00% ABV

Beer added by: rvdoorn on 09-07-2009

Bottled 2010.

This is the color of dirt/soil, black-brown with a foamy crema topping. Aroma is earthy, reminiscent of woodsy mushrooms (a borrowed descriptor, overheard but still apropos), not button mushrooms but I’m thinking more like shiitakes. Wonderfully complex. Layers of flavors, sweet and luscious with an oily booziness that coats the mouth. Rich, thick, with a sharp bitterness. Simply amazing. Bottle says you can age this for 25 years.

4.8/5  rDev +20%

Pours a rich, night-black sable with a VERY thick and persistent chocolaty-brown head. The sample I got fizzed as if doing so would help the Cubs win the World Series - so if you get this in a bottle, open it with care! Strong, smoky aroma has tones of sweet chocolate, quality roast coffee and molasses as well as a hint of caramel. Mouth-filling smoky flavor has tones of high-quality mocha and molasses, as well has hints of caramel and licorice. It is a bit on the sweet side, but otherwise the flavor is simply superb. Texture is thick, smooth, oily and fizzy, leaving a smoky and tingly finish. A must for all Stouties!

4.55/5  rDev +13.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

A: Pours very smooth with no head at all. Thick dark coffee color with some reddish hues.

S: Alcohol dominates but other scents come through. Chocolate, coffee, sweet, honey, oak, pine, molasses.

T: Same as smell. The taste is well balanced in this beer. The stout flavors comes through with some cream and chocolate and coffee hints. Then a little sour brings through some of the more oaky notes. Then the sour kick of the alcohol hits but quickly fades to a sweetness that isn't really honey... maybe a more chocolaty sweetness, you know, one that's more smooth than sharp.

M: Very surprising how the alcohol is under control on the palate. It sits smooth with the most subtle carbonation. Creamy notes start to develop.

Overall a surprisingly great beer. I was skeptical given the nature of this beer that it was going to be overwhelming and I wasn't going to love it, but this beer really keeps everything under control. Certainly intense but also very doable - a very great beer.

4.54/5  rDev +13.5%

Pours an almost impentrable black, with just the barest hits of slightly-transclucent brown highlights. The mocha head absolutely billows out of this thing, with large bubbles for most of the head, and much finer bubbles at the top. It took me about 5 minutes of pouring and waiting to get a properly filled glass. Once I finally got it full and properly proportioned, it was a thing of beauty. Unfortunately, pretty much no lacing. If it at least had light lacing, I could give it a 4.5 - but none at all gets it knocked to a 4.

The appearance set high expectations, and the nose doesn't disappoint. Massive, intense notes of chocolate and coffee. This is one of the best smelling beers I've ever buried my nose in. At this point, the suspense is intense - I've gotta taste this thing.

And...it meets the hype that the appearance and nose built. The explosion of chocolate and coffee in the nose show up here again. Coffee, chocolate in general, but specifically dark chocolate, roasted malts and a splash of smokiness. Typically I detest a smokey taste in my beers, but it's okay here - the medley of flavors works. Each swallow leaves a bitter chocolate aftertaste resting on the tongue. But I like it - it's a constant reminder of the deliciousness I just sipped moments before.

Unfortunately, my first sips likewise bring my first criticism of this brew - I don't like the mouthfeel. There's too much carbonation and bubbliness here. (Is bubbliness a word?) I'd rather this brew coat my mouth with velvetty smoothness, but instead I get this coarse tingling. Big time bummer on that one. I'd like to see the carbonation dialed back quite a bit.

All in all, though, this is one fabulous brew. A better mouthfeel would have brought this thing to damn near perfection. Even still, this is absolutely top notch. Easily the best imperial stout I've had from Europe.

I'd love to try a bourbon barrel aged version of this. That'd be epic.

Edit: Felt I should add this. I drank the beer slowly over an hour or so, and after warming and sitting out for a bit, the carbonation seemed to mellow considerably. It became much smoother and less prickly. If it had felt like that from the beginning, it would have easily been a 4 for mouthfeel.

4.53/5  rDev +13.3%

From the label: "This beer will be good for 25 years if kept cool and dark." But I just don't have that kind of time, so off comes the cap tonight. Brewed on August 26, 2010, bottled on October 5, 2010. If only all breweries were as up front about such trivial things, eh?

Quite a powerful "ziss!" upon prying the cap off (which was lightly waxed). It's a damn beautiful beer in the glass, blackness as deep and wide as the cosmos, and a super-tight mocha colored head made of zillions of snap-crackle-poppin' bubbles.

Aroma is mostly smoky and rich dark chocolate tones, some nice nutty coffee-like roast as well. A hint of mineral in the background, which is suppressed by a noticeable, enjoyable and not-at-all overbearing alcohol edge. [Okay, as-it-happens reportage here: this is a funny beer. I poured half into the glass, and the other half is currently in the bottle. Every 20 seconds or so a froth comes peeking over the bottle neck, pops and disappears, and repeats. This thing is alive!!!]

Taste: total liquid fudge action. Or liquid brownie. That really gooey, moist kind of deep, dark chocolate brownie. Chocolate abounds here, and brings with it tones of dark roast coffee. It's curious that the hops are pumped on the label (Sladek and Saaz) when it's really the malt that not only drives this thing, but wins the race for it. Oh, the hops are present, lending a bright edge to the heavy-handed and gooey malt center. Rich but not too rich, warming but not hot, hoppy but hops that let the malt take center stage. The taste of this beer blows my freaking mind.

I might have liked just a tad less carbonation, or nearly NO carbonation (like Bell's wonderful Expedition Stout), but the heavy body and just-right stickiness still make a nice textural match for what the taste buds are deciphering.

So, a Dutch stout modeled on the big American craft approach, using Czech hops. This is why I love adventurous brewers and the beer they make. And in this case it's a total success. It's a damn travesty this isn't rated higher here (currently has a B+ average). Maybe it's not rare enough. Or just doesn't have much hype behind it for whatever reason. But damn this is one delightful stout that leans on the hefty, dessert-y side, and does absolutely but absolutely everything right.

4.5/5  rDev +12.5%

Poured from the bottle into a large snifter glass. Bottled on October 5th 2010. Bottle number 2036.

A slight gusher but not too bad from opening. Impressive head of dark brown coffee cream and chocolate. Body is classic case of dark walnut black/brown. Retention is sick but eventually calms down. Crazy lacing breakup and super foamy.

Nose is a good mix of light molasses, coffee mild roast and milk chocolate. Very nice with barleywine like heat and hint of bitterness. Real nice lots of things going on.

Taste is really delicious. Taste seems to follow the nose with one exception. Molasses lightly in the palate but then a soft mild black licorice sense. Some milky chocolate comes out a bit. Licorice angle comes out in a very rich way but never totally dominates. Thick palate but rich and velvety, without being syrupy. No boozyness sense incredibly easy drinking. Palate has a mild small carbonation and when focusing on it even gives the drink a sense of rich sweet cola taste.

Overall just a great example of what a stout can be. Great beer!

4.5/5  rDev +12.5%

Bottle consumed at Tryst in Delray Beach courtesy of Greg, thanks! Do not remember the bottle info

A: Pours a super viscous looking pitch black...10w-40. Gorgeous brown cap, and decent head/head retention for the big ABV.

S: Wow, just wow. Tons of ripe berries on top of chocolate covered strawberries. Chocolate, alcohol, wood, and some good hopping. Pretty complex

T: Craziness going on here, berries again, alcohol provides warmth but it doesn't take away from the flavor, leather, vanilla, wood (barrel??), tons of chocolate and hop bitterness to balance. Really opens up with proper decanting.

MF/O: Thick, velvety, and silky on the palate. Bitterness gives it some bite, but the carbonation is pretty mellow. Overall a very pleasant surprise, and in my opinion, deserves a better rating. I will be seeking this out again.

4.5/5  rDev +12.5%

A: Poured from a bottle to a pint glass. Had a black color and a completely thick consistency. There was a gigantic, creamy, tan-colored, long-lasting head. Very good lacing.

S: A strong aroma of coffee, malt, chocolate and booze.

T: Tasted of coffee, roasted malt, and booze up front, with a slight chocolate tinge in the finish. Has a much more overpowering flavor than most of this style, but is still complex and possessing a big flavor. Almost closer in character to a Russian Imperial Stout than an American Double

M: A good amount of carbonation with a slick finish. Full-bodied.

D: An excellent, drinkable beer.

4.5/5  rDev +12.5%

2010 bottle don't know how I found this.

A: actually a gusher after 4 years. Poured it fast enough and got some great sticky viscosity. Oh so dark with lasting foamy carbonation.

S: decadent chocolate. Roasty malts. So clean just damn near perfect.

T: Hard bitter and roasted chocolate with thick malty character. Very sweet. Mollasas and deep port characters. So well balanced.

M: Holds beautifully throughout just really sweet, sticky, and coating with German chocolate aftertaste. Creamy.

O: I can't believe this isn't rated over 90. Did I just get a great bottle? This is proof how bad the rating system is. Nothing in the US non barrel aged can hold a candle to this. Gotta find more since its retired. Much like cease and desist which I'm still saddened is retired as well.

4.42/5  rDev +10.5%

Bottled on October 5, 2010. Bottle #2049.

A - Pitch black, three fingers of mocha head that slowly gets bigger and bigger then slowly subsides, light lacing.

S - Smoke, coffee beans, oats, spicy hops, brown sugar, light cocoa.

T - Rich chocolate, roasted malts, smoke, spicy hops, slight burnt sugars, finishes with dark grains, espresso, and saaz hops.

M - Full bodied, moderate carbonation.

O - Great beer, if you can find it I would suggest picking up a bottle or two.

$9.99 @ Honeygo Wine & Spirits, Nottingham, MD.

4.42/5  rDev +10.5%

A: holy wow! lots of head which is always a plus in my book. Really nice dark beer with the brown chocolate millk head that I always like to see as well. Head retention just doesnt go away and all it does is stick to the glass. Im gonna have to take off half a point just because its to carbonated. I had to wait 5 minutes to get a sip

S: Big bitter nuttiness. lots of roasted flavors in there. the usual chocolate a slight coffee. just what im looking for

T: Really really nutty. thats about as nutty stout that ive had. I'm trying to place what type of nut but its more like a nutshell. it has the bitter almost walnut shell. Not to much chocolate or coffee like usual... which is a good thing.. its different.

M: just a touch thin but barely. The carbonation blows up just a bit to much.

D: This beer isnt hot at all IMO. big flavors but easy drinking. The only thing I really dont love is the excessive carbonation. Take that away and this is a really really good beer

4.41/5  rDev +10.3%

Bottle from some place in Atlanta.
Number 676 from 1206 bottles. It is a 33cl (11.2oz) bottle.
Brewed Nov. 23 2009, bottled on Jan. 08 2010.

Pops with one of the best sounds I have ever heard from a bottle... though it made me run for cover, yet strangely enough didn't foam out everywhere, despite the sound that it would. One of the Loudest pops I have ever had.
Pours with a ton of head that is taking too damn long for my inpatient ass. Pours thick and black, and actually looks oily in the glass.
smells HUGE. Ash, chocolate, coffee and booze. You know that something that you cant put your finger on, that smells thick, I like that smell...
Taste is boozy, thick, coffee... Lots of Roasted malt. The label says will age nicely for 25 years, and I believe it. I have been disappointed in their other beers, but this is really nice!
Mouthfeel does have a thick oil feel to it. doesnt really detract from it though. Bitter finish that just seems to wrap it up.

4.37/5  rDev +9.3%

Poured this into a tulip from a bottle that is just under a year old. I'm pretty pumped. The pours at black, with a huge mocha colored head that takes up about two thirds of the glass. I'm wondering if I poured this wrong. The smell is roasty and a bit charred with a bit of smoke. Bitter coffee aromas flood my nostrils with earthy undertones. This is probably one of the most pleasant smelling beers I've had, nothing but enjoyable.

This has a great flavor. Toasty and robust. This beer seems to be full of the flavors I'd expect from an imperial stout; roasted malts, cocoa and bitter espresso undertones all complemented nicely with some earthiness. My only complaint is a slight alcohol burn, but I feel like that is me trying to find something I don't like.

Smooth mouthfeel and spot on flavors make this a big winner for me. It's a bit of a sipper, but hell I won't be upset about have this out front of me for about an hour.

4.3/5  rDev +7.5%

So I poured this bad boy into my duvel tulip glass and had to wait a long time for the head to subside. I have never seen a beer foam up so fast in this glass. Most beers pour in even when I'm sloppy without much fuss. Crossing my fingers I didn't get a bad batch. While I wait I tell you the head is a mocha a color full of tiny micro bubbles. There is no cascade to watch. The smell is nice very chocolaty with a hint of a bourbon notes. Well the beer is not bad; or if it is it's a really good bad beer :P The flavor is light on the initial chocolate I was smelling initially. The subtle bourbon is now more of what I'm getting. The overall flavor is very well balanced and doesn't attack and take over you mouth. The finish is a nice linger of very mellow bitterness. The mouth feel is full bodied with very little carbonation.

Overall I think this is a fantastic beer. Very well crafted. I really enjoy the flavor that was crafted. The labels are cool for their simplicity. They look like old prescription apothecary labels.

4.3/5  rDev +7.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Unbelievable aroma of roasted malts, coffee, chocolate and licorice. Pitch black, firm brown head, good lace. Sweet, heavily hopped, chocolate, coffee and a hint of licorice. Full, sticky, light dry mouth feel and warming. Powerful, heavy and flavourful. Great stuff but I was glad it wasn't their usual 75cl bottle but just a small one. Just enough!

4.25/5  rDev +6.3%

11.2oz bottle #715, bottled in January 2010.

Pours thick and black with an enormous clumpy tan head that shows excellent retention and leaves thick lacing on the sides.

The aroma is excellent and dominated by roasted chocolate malts. It's complimented by light leathery notes and espresso. There is a surprising hop presence as well with some citrus sneaking in.

The taste is even more chocolately with bakers chocolate dominating at the outset before the toasted malts and citrus hops come in. The finish is bitter chocolate and a bit of alochol burn.

The mouthfeel is medium to full bodied but the carbonation is high which keeps it from getting too thick. That said, the carbonation is a little overdone for my liking.

This is an excellent beer from De Molen who has definitely proven to me that they can make a great stout. The hop presence surprised me but it's still the dark chocolate that stands out.

4.25/5  rDev +6.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

11.2oz, bottled 10/5/2010, #1712
Riedel tulip

A: Pours a very deep black color. Looks epically dark going into the glass. Very tight bubbled bottle conditioned, light tan head. Sticks around a long time.

S: Dark black licorice. Molasses. Bark. Burnt chocolate. Some light vanilla.

T: Lots of dark chocolate right up front. Roast malts. Some vanilla.

M: Full bodied. Some creaminess.

4.22/5  rDev +5.5%

Bottle shared by Dan - much obliged!

Pours black with a one-finger tan head. The head recedes into a thin layer on top leaving solid lacing.

Smells of robust roasted malt flavors with good amounts of unsweetened chocolate, tobacco, and char.

Tastes similar to how it smells. Roasted malt flavors kick things off and are joined quickly by good amounts of semi-sweet chocolate. Midway through the sip the flavors darken a bit to allow some tobacco hints to work their way into things. The ending is solidly bitter.

Mouthfeel is good. It's got a nice thickness with smooth carbonation.

Drinkability is very good. I finished my glass quickly and could have another without any problems.

Overall I was a fan of this beer but like most other De Molen beers this one fell just short of being amazing. Still, it's worth trying.

4.2/5  rDev +5%

330 ml bottle into snifter, bottled on 8/6/2013. Pours dense pitch black color with a thin dense dark tan head with solid retention; that reduces to a patchy lace cap that lingers. Light spotty lacing clings around the glass. Aromas of big dark chocolate, cocoa, coffee, toasted dark bread, molasses, raisin, prune, licorice, vanilla, char, leather, light smoke, herbal, wood, and roast/smokey earthiness. Damn nice aromas with great balance and complexity of big dark/roast/bready malt; with light-moderate dark fruit, smoke, and earthy hop notes; with good strength. Taste of huge dark chocolate, cocoa, coffee, toasted dark bread, molasses, raisin, prune, licorice, vanilla, char, leather, light smoke, herbal, wood, and roast/smokey earthiness. Good amount of herbal and roast/char bitterness on the finish; with lingering notes of dark chocolate, cocoa, coffee, molasses, toasted dark bread, raisin, prune, licorice, vanilla, char, leather, and roast/smokey earthiness on the finish for a while. Incredible complexity, robustness, and balance of big dark/roast/bready malt; with light-moderate dark fruit, smoke, and earthy hop flavors; with a nice roasted bitter/sweet balance and zero cloying flavors after the finish. Light carbonation and very full bodied; with a very smooth, creamy/silky, and fairly sticky/chalky mouthfeel that is nice. Alcohol is very well hidden with only a light warmth lingering after the finish. Overall this was an awesome Russian imperial stout style. All around great complexity, robustness, and balance of big dark/roast/bready malt; with light-moderate smoek, dark fruit, and earthy hop flavors; and very smooth to sip on for the big ABV. A highly enjoyable offering.

4.2/5  rDev +5%

Pitch black pour with a modest dark beige head quick to a small frothy lace.
A truly imperial stout smell, big roast, bitter dark chocolate, dark licorice, faint dark fruit, black coffee with a shot of cheap spirit, faint vanilla, leather. A bit of smoke, wood, and a spicy, pungent dried hop leaf pushing through. Apollo hops really bring that strong hint of bitter leaf, a bit dank, reminding of burnt weed.
Bitter from the start, with really strong 100% cocoa (possibly more?!) dark chocolate and ristretto coffee (bitter, but lacking the acidity). Some subtler fermenting plum and raisin, really drenched in alcohol. Booze kept in check by the big (really big!) roasted malts, burnt, ashy, charcoal-like, with a dry woody feel even. Bittering hops make it even more brutal (95 IBU). Hints of vanilla and licorice here and there, some dusty cinnamon too. Also some generic herbal hop spikes, hinting black tea and ribwort.
Aftertaste has roasted coffee bean, strong cocoa powder, burnt bread and linear, but rough (maybe boring) hop bitterness. Medium to light body. Alcohol is hidden, but it's still a sipper cause of the big hoppy burnt bitterness.
A big ballsy imperial stout, quite extreme, but not cringe-worthily so. A new big stout hit from the De Molen for me, especially without any barrel-aging.

4.18/5  rDev +4.5%

Brewed on August 26, 2010. Bottled on October 5, 2010.

Poured into a Delirium Tremens tulip.

Appearance: A deep brown, creamy head sits atop a muddy, pitch black. Head shows very nice retention, and tries to gain a foothold on the glass walls (only hangs around for a few seconds though). All in all, I love the opacity, coloration and head retention; lacing could improve, but that's about it.

Smell: Prunes, dark roast coffee, char, blueberries, and bitter dark chocolate. The heavy roast and tart fruit notes meld well, though the overall context is certainly intense. As it warms, the bitter dark chocolate softens into a chocolate creme aroma. A bit harsh early on; better as it warms; boozy all the way.

Taste: Chocolate mousse, dark fruits, roasted barley, booze, and a touch of dark roast coffee in the finish. Those tart fruits that were oh so prevalent in the nose have faded a bit in the taste; dark fruit flavors are there, but they struggle to creep past the bold, roasted malts. Still very tasty; just not as complex as anticipated.

Mouthfeel: Full and creamy with low carbonation, mild burn, and excellent mouth-coating. The alcoholic content becomes more prevalent in the aftertaste, creating a bit more heat and dryness than I'd like. Aside from that though, flawless.

Drinkability: A fascinating sipper. Complex and unique, with the look and feel of an imperial (and then some) stout.

4.17/5  rDev +4.3%

Buddy of mine brought an aged bottle over for a tasting. Wonderful brew, bottle poured into a tulip.

a - Pours a darkish brown almost black that leaves a nice finger of head at the top with some nice pleasant lacing around the glass as you sip away.

s - Complete chocolate smell, with some hints of coffee but very minimal, chocolate is very overpowering.

t - Complete chocolate in taste with hints of some dark fruits as well as dark malts.

m - Thick body with slight carbonation

d - A Great beer! Would love to have this one again with a piece of cake and especially during breakfast!

4.15/5  rDev +3.8%

Bought this bottle at Berts Bierhuis in Utrecht. This one is brewed in April, bottled in May and has bottle number 750. Poured into my Westmalle glass. The beer pours a dark-brown-black color, with a one finger thick, fantastic dark-brown head.

Smell: Great! This beer has a very nice, deep smell. Full of sweet dark fruits (with figs in the foreground), coffee, some tones of vanilla, strong sweet roasted malts, and I think I even smell some leather....

Taste: Not as good as the smell, because personally I think that would have made this beer one of the better ones out there for the style.... Bitter-sweet in general. Light-bitter coffee, caramel, wooden notes, tobacco (the first time I actually taste this in a beer), dark chocolate, roasted malts. The aftertaste is very long, very bitter, hints of pepper and tabacco, but also a bit too alcoholic.

Mouthfeel: Creamy, thick, oily, relatively low carbonation (but carbonation is much better than hel en verdoemenis)

Overall: A fantastic Imperial stout. The Molen does it again! Although the alcohol is maybe a bit too much present, generally a fantastic beer, full of bitterness mixed with some well balanced sweetness. Highly recommendable, but only of you like the force of bitterness...

4.15/5  rDev +3.8%

Poured from a 33cl bottle into a tulip. Brewed on 11/23/09, bottled on 01/08/10. Batch #1206, bottle #672.

a - Pours a a dark brown, almost black, with 2 fingers of tan head that has great retention and moderate carbonation evident. Nice lacing.

s - Smells of cocoa, dark fruits, roasted malts, sweet chocolate, toasted malts. Very enjoyable.

t - Tastes of cocoa, bitter and sweet chocolate, alcohol, roasted malts, and dark fruits. Also some smokiness or toasted malts.

m - Full body and low carbonation. Smooth, thick body.

d - A pretty nice stout. I enjoyed the smell a lot. I think a little more time on it to let the alcohol fade would make this even better. Would love to try again.

4.14/5  rDev +3.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured into a snifter jet black no highlights when held to the light,an overflowing mocha colored head atop,almost all head.As underwhelming the pour may have been the aromas are on the other end of the scale,bitter chocolate and a good dose of it along with dark fruit,roasted nut,and caramel,alot going on and its all good.Although a bit sharp in the mouthfeel department it doesnt take away from the big earthy flavors,this is one hopped up stout.Big dry chocolate along with slight wood,its roasted and hopped to the hilt,lighter dark fruit and caramel give it light sweetness.I cant give it a higher drinkability score becaus its lighter in feel and can get a bit hot but the flavors and aromas are great.

Heaven & Hell from Brouwerij De Molen