Bed And Breakfast - Brouwerij De Molen

Bed And BreakfastBed And Breakfast

Brouwerij De Molen visit their website
Netherlands

American Amber / Red Ale |  4.40% ABV

(Beer added by: BMoldy on 11-16-2011)
2.5/5  rDev -23.3%

Holy Head!! I am surprised with all the carbonation that this did not explode! It has even been i the cellar for a few months and not shaken. Took literally 10 minutes for me to pour the entire bottle and let the head settle. Pours a very cloudy copper. The nose is heavy black pepper, and jalapeno. Smell indicates more of like a chili beer... The taste was very opposite to the nose and had a huge coffee bean and chocolate flavor. This is an interesting beer for sure.. The finish produces mild hops and is extremely dry with hints of black pepper and maybe even ginger? Not a bad beer, but not sure if I would drink this again. Worth a try for sure though!.

Robloc303, Sep 14, 2014

ViragS, Sep 06, 2013

jabo134, Aug 07, 2013

WDJersey, Aug 04, 2013
3.35/5  rDev +2.8%

Done in a horizontal tasting with Koppi Coffee IPA from Mikkeller and Sleep Over Coffee IIPA from To Ol.

Eye: This one pours the clearest of the three, orange hued with active carbonation. Huge rocky head foams up when poured and as it recedes leaves nice lacing along the walls of the glass. This one looks the best of the three.

Nose: Big coffee aroma in this one, I know its not an IPA but, the coffee is the dominant aroma here. Very nice. Rich coffee aroma. This one has the kind of coffee aroma that you would find in Founders Breakfast stout, bold strong and in your face.

Tongue: LIght body and overall just thin. I feel like this one is quite watery compared to the other two. There is coffee flavor in here, but I feel like its just watery, there doesn't seem to be much to back it up. Carbonation is higher than it should be. There really isn't much to this beer other than the coffee, I might as well drink a cup of coffee, no complexity whatsoever. I'm left wanting more, huge let down.

Drinkability: Overall this is a beer that I won't write home about, nothing really grand about it. I prolly won't buy this one again...it was worth the try but nothing coming back to. Out of the three this one is the weakest and my least favorite. If you want single minded go for the Mikkeller, if you want something more complex go for the Sleep Over IIPA.

becktone, Jul 17, 2013
3.5/5  rDev +7.4%

330ml bottle served in a pint glass.

A: Pours a cloudy orange color forming a huge bubbled soapy yellow head with excellent retention and tons of lacings formed and left in the glass

S: Strong coffee and malts in the nose. Smokey, somehow. Brown sugar. Grassy hops

T: Strong notes of coffee in the mouth too. Now I understand its name, they've put a lot of coffee in it. :) Dry upfront. Dry, in overall. Caramel malts and nice hops bitterness. Dry hopped with Amarillo hops, a win-win strategy

M: Light body. Good carbonation. Coffee and grassy hops aftertaste

O: Good drinkability. Quite peculiar beer. Nice combination of Red Ale and coffee. De Molen quality. Recommended

eduardolinhalis, Jun 08, 2013
3.24/5  rDev -0.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

Born on August 23, 2011

One of the few light coffee beers

A: Very soda-y foamy. Orangy tan haze, opaque, massive amounts of gushing carbonation.
S: Unique. An amber beer crossed with dirt, a bit sweet with some coffee grounds in there.
T: Fairly bitter, a nice coffee flavor. It's kind of like a bitter coffee soda with a decent quality coffee. No detected alcohol.
M: Light sparkle. Dry.
O: An honorable experiment with a decent result.

sfprint, May 19, 2013

DStoked, May 17, 2013

bryang002, May 10, 2013

cadaugherty, May 08, 2013

Zaphog, Apr 29, 2013

aztraz, Mar 27, 2013

MisledTitan, Mar 17, 2013
2.31/5  rDev -29.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.25

33cl bottle into a matching De Molen snifter. The brew appears a clear copper color with an erruption of carbonation that fills the glass with 4 fingers white froth. The cap is slow to fade leaving patchy webs sticking to the glass. The streaming carbonation changes the brew from perfectly clear to chunky as it strips trub from the bottom of the glass.

The aroma is primarily green bell peppers mixed with almost a spicy chili and plenty of tin-like carbonic quality. The most faint stale coffee inclusion is noted across the back with an herbal element of hops that just doesnt blend well together.

The flavor is very carbonic tasting tin-like metallic and faintly bitter and herbal with hops. Aa bit of a vegetative flavor is present almost like the previously mention aromatics of green bell peppers. There is a sort of stale bread flavor mid palate that transitions into almost a buttery flavor in the aftertaste.

This is a medium to lighter bodied brew with way too much carbonation. Everything about this brew clashes and its not that enjoyable. This is a rare miss from De Molen and should be avoided.

stakem, Feb 08, 2013

mitlinks, Feb 03, 2013
3.53/5  rDev +8.3%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

330ml bottle- ½ pt glass. Enjoyed on agt´12. Bright golden color, crystal clear appearance. Close, fairly good retention, white in color froth. A thin & lasting layer remains on top. Floral aromas, hints of coffee & toffee to the nose. Spicy & bitter coffee grain flavor. Clean bitter hops in the middle with subtle fresh fruity touch. Light to medium body, moderate carbonation. Long finish overwhelmed by coffee notes. Refreshing & very easy drinkable. Morning cup of tea or coffee to awake me up… ?? No way! I´d better have one of this.

GONZALOYANNA, Feb 02, 2013
1.98/5  rDev -39.3%

I was in the mood for a coffee-flavored beer, so I decided to try a bottle of this at Monk's one early afternoon.

A: I must have had an unusually active bottle, as a very gentle pour lead to a HUUUGE 4 finger creamy head. It took 5 minutes before I could even attempt to taste the beer.

S: Awful. It smelled like a box of vegetables... and a rotten one at that. Very, very faint coffee with something resembling butter.

T: Nothing like what I smelled. The taste was straight bitter coffee. So coffee-forward and so bitter I kept checking the glass (and bottom of the bottle) for coffee grounds. Little hop presence, and even that's being generous.

M: Very carbonated. Meh.

O: I really had to struggle through this. I'm hoping I had a bad bottle or something. Nasty stuff.

ClarkHimself, Jan 14, 2013
3.68/5  rDev +12.9%

Bottled 31 August 2011, reviewed 15 November 2012

A: Foam starts to creep out of the bottle the second I pry the cap off, which doesn't bode well for the beer. A very slow pour yields a huge, frothy white head that isn't going anywhere fast. Tons of sticky lacing is the result of the head receding, although I wouldn't wait around for it to happen. The beer itself is golden brown with orange at the edges. I really thought this beer was dark when I bought it. Apparently I should have done my research. 3.5

S: This confuses me. It's a light beer, but all I smell is coffee. Wha...how? I'm just going to go with it. It's extremely bitter. I think the coffee and the hops are colliding. I really have no idea what to think about it. 3

T: Amazingly, and I'm telling you this shocked me, the coffee is not the only thing I taste. The taste is malty, with a slight hop bitterness. The coffee comes next, but isn't as bold or robust as I had hoped. The roast lingers on the palate until whenever you decide to take another sip. I actually really like the balance this beer has. Honestly when I pour it, I expected the coffee to overtake the more subtle amber ales flavors. I could not have been more incorrect. This is a nice, light beer with coffee to add an extra punch. Truly unique. 4

MF: Light body with the above average amount of carbonation I expected after seeing the head billow up. The lingering roast is a nice addition, as I actually feel like I'm drinking coffee. I thought the drinkability on this was outstanding, but the body was way over-carbonated. 3.5

O: It really combines two of my favorite things: hops and coffee. A real surprise, probably the most surprised I've ever been by a beer. I had never seen it before picking it up at State Line Liquors in Maryland, so I can't speak to how hard it is to find. Regardless, if you're lucky enough to stumble across it, please give it a shot. It might just blow you away. 4

russwbeck, Nov 16, 2012