Bed And Breakfast - Brouwerij De Molen

to view more.
Ratings: 63 | Reviews: 31
Reviews by Morningstorm:
2.13/5  rDev -35.3%

Bought it a month ago. Decided to crack one open.

A: By opening the bottle, the foam starts gushing out. When I pour the beer in a Duvel glass it just explodes in the glass. It's literally 90% foam and 10% beer. After waiting 3 minutes the head finally died down a bit so I could pour more. The color itself is a bit dark yellow, kinda groundy yellow. The lacing stays on the rim of the glass, which is a good sign.

S: First smell is off-putting. Smells like a vegetable which has been in the earth, something like beetroot. Also smell of peppers and a hint of coffee.

T: Tastes like earthy and groundy comes first to mind. Also hints of peppers. No taste or hints of coffee. Aftertaste is the characteristic taste of the Amarillo hops. The spicey taste from the peppers stay pretty long.

M: Highly carbonated beer.

O: The beer is just off. I can't tell if my beer is skunked or just really bad. The earthiness and the hops just don't make a good combination in this beer.

3.82/5  rDev +16.1%

Hey its another coffee beer that isn't a brown ale or a stout, I can dig that, but after the Mikkeller Coffee ipa, I'm a little leery. This one pours like a standard amber colored beer with a nice 5/8" head on the top of it. The coffee aroma is present and more than adequate, enjoyable, nothing too exotic about it, just straight up coffee and waffles type of aroma, perfect for a moniker like bed & breakfast.

Taste, pretty easy drinking, in a way, I was a little disappointed it wasn't more robust, for the $5.49 price tag on something like this, but I didn't buy it because I truly thought it was going to be "worth" the price, but moreso to satiate my ticking curiosity. A little bit of that Denny's diner thing going on, some old school waffle and stale ash from the cigarrete tray thing going on with the wafting coffee aroma. I enjoyed it. If it was say, $6 for a 4 pack, it would be a repeat purchase, but at alsmot that much for a single 11oz bottle, well, its a good beer, but not worth the price.

Spoil yourself on an early morning fishing trip and try it sometime.

3.24/5  rDev -1.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

Born on August 23, 2011

One of the few light coffee beers

A: Very soda-y foamy. Orangy tan haze, opaque, massive amounts of gushing carbonation.
S: Unique. An amber beer crossed with dirt, a bit sweet with some coffee grounds in there.
T: Fairly bitter, a nice coffee flavor. It's kind of like a bitter coffee soda with a decent quality coffee. No detected alcohol.
M: Light sparkle. Dry.
O: An honorable experiment with a decent result.

3.07/5  rDev -6.7%

I can see this being an amber ale...but I must say it's a slightly odd choice of style for a coffee beer. Pours an ambery color with a BIG 3+ finger of head. Be careful, pour gently...the head can get out of hand. The aroma is definitely comprised of coffee. There's some nutty malt sweetness as well. Not much in the way of hops, though, once you throw coffee into the mix, a hoppy red may not be best. Tastes of roast and a more milder coffee than in the aroma. Slight bitter finish with some maltiness. The feel is crisp and from the pour, a bit over carbonated. There's some stinginess too it and the body is more light.

Interesting, but It's not all there. I think something like this can work, but this definitely needs more of it.

2.66/5  rDev -19.1%

Poured into a Gulden Draak Tulip. Pours a medium orange amber. Active carbonation with a one finger lively medium off-white head that dissipates somewhat to a thick ring leaving nice lacing. Strange aroma of malt, vegetables and coffee. Flavor is quite astringent and very bitter. Faint malt and dark fruit is overwhelmed by dry, somewhat smoky bitterness. Astringent bitter finish with a light coffee component. Phenolic band-aid flavor is too strong. The bitter component of coffee is present without a mitigating earthy, herbal component. Light to medium bodied. I like this brewery, but this is a complete miss for me. I couldn't finish a glass.

3.53/5  rDev +7.3%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

330ml bottle- ½ pt glass. Enjoyed on agt´12. Bright golden color, crystal clear appearance. Close, fairly good retention, white in color froth. A thin & lasting layer remains on top. Floral aromas, hints of coffee & toffee to the nose. Spicy & bitter coffee grain flavor. Clean bitter hops in the middle with subtle fresh fruity touch. Light to medium body, moderate carbonation. Long finish overwhelmed by coffee notes. Refreshing & very easy drinkable. Morning cup of tea or coffee to awake me up… ?? No way! I´d better have one of this.

3.02/5  rDev -8.2%

This bottle was filled to the brim. It gushed a little bit before calming down to look very highly carbonated with a lot of activity. Bed and Breakfast poured a very light bodied and very effervescent light copper in color with a billowing two finger, quickly dissipating white head. The nose is what I expected. There is a lot of coffee, a decent amount of bitterness, toast, and slight amber malt sweetness. The flavors are similar. The coffee and the bitterness are all you really get. It's very straightforward. There is also that toast quality as well. The mouthfeel is a trainwreck. There is far too much carbonation and this feels foamy as you drink it. Overall this is one is a miss for me. If it were fuller in body and had proper carbonation I'm sure it would be up my alley. This was just too rough around the edges.

3.21/5  rDev -2.4%

Amber in color with an off-white head. A mild smokiness, strangely, but maybe it’s just the coffee? There is a fair amount of coffee and some bready malt along with a subtle earthy and floral hop note. The flavors are sort of muted due to the beer being so overcarbonated. A bit of coffee, bread, and a light toffee character. A strange idea and the flavor lives up to the strangeness of it.

3.67/5  rDev +11.6%

Poured from bottle into a tulip glass.
A; pours a cloudy burnt orange color with pillowy off white head that lingers. good lacing.
S; light fruits and yeast mostly on the aroma, no hint of the coffee it should be brewed with according to the bottle.
T; follows the nose very closely, red grapes and strawberries are the fruit esters i can detect, with the yeast coming thru more in the aftertaste. still no hint of coffee. Very nice red ale, but i'm left wondering what purpose the coffee served except maybe darkening the color a little.
M; light bodied and highly carbonated, typical of the style. maybe slightly above average.
O; overall this is a very enjoyable beer, still have to wonder what purpose the coffee served, i detected none at all in it, but still a very good brew, grab one if you can.

4.03/5  rDev +22.5%

A: Poured from a bottle to a pint glass. Had an amber color and a cloudy consistency. There was a massive, fluffy, long-lasting head. Good lacing.

S: An interesting aroma of coffee, chilis, and some chocolate.

T: Certainly not what I was expecting: A big heap of chili peppers, a bit of coffee, some cocoa, and a bit of malt and chocolate. It's an odd combination, but oddly likeable.

M: A good amount of carbonation with a smooth finish. The chili peppers give a little burn on the way down. Medium-bodied.

O: This is definitely an oddball beer. I don't know if I'd call it an amber/red ale (I don't know what I'd call it), but it's definitely worth a shot.

2.09/5  rDev -36.5%

11.2 fl oz brown glass bottle with standard pressure cap served into a conical Guinness pint glass in me gaff in low altitude Los Angeles, California. Reviewed live. Expectations are above average. 5 September 2011. Imported by the Shelton Bastards.

Served a bit warmer than refrigerator cold. Side-poured with extra vigor as carbonation issues are definitely anticipated due to the brewery.

Not paired with food. Consumed on a full stomach.

Expectations of undercarbonation could not have been more wrong. The beer surged out of the bottle immediately upon opening, suggesting heavy overcarbonation. De Molen certainly isn't a consistent brewery.

A: Pours a seven finger head of beige colour, without much cream at all, of decent thickness, and good retention (though the ABV is rather low for the style). Colour is a nontransparent yellow-copper. No yeast particles are visible. No bubble show.

Sm: Stale coffee, dirty malts, overdone bittering hops, yeast, and java coffee bean wretchedness. The coffee couldn't be less appealing here. Very much one of the worst coffee aromas I've ever encountered. A mild strength aroma.

T: Putrid java/coffee notes, cream, stale bland barley, clean malts, hints of biscuity yeast, and strange horridly imbalanced hopping. Some earthy garbage that further turns me off and adds more unwelcome bitterness. All around a pretty bad build - in any style. No alcohol comes through. Really badly put together, both structurally and in terms of flavour. Not at all complex or subtle. Not pleasant or enjoyable.

Mf: In spite of the blast of head and the good retention, it still manages to come off flat. Smooth, wet, and somewhat watery. Not creamy or crisp. Too heavy on the palate for the lack of (good) flavours and the lack of alcohol. Too thick.

Dr: A pretty bad offering from De Molen. I didn't at all expect it to be this bad. It's hard to drink on account of the foul coffee flavour. Not at all recommended for anyone. Avoid. It isn't even any good for cooking because of the coffee note.

What's this claim that this will age for two years on the bottle? Ignore that rubbish. This isn't worth the cellar space and at 4.4% ABV, it won't age all that well either.

Wouldn't pair well with anything.

D

4.28/5  rDev +30.1%

330 ml bottle into tulip, bottled 8/31/2011. Pours fairly hazy golden orange color with a huge 3 finger fluffy off white head with fantastic retention that reduces to a nice thick cap that lasts. Nice soapy lacing on the glass, with a good amount of carbonation streaming up. Aromas of big coffee beans, chili pepper, herbal, floral, chocolate, and caramel. Very nice and well balanced aromas with good strength. Taste of roasted coffee beans, chili pepper, herbal spiciness, caramel, and light chocolate. Good amount of peppery bitterness on the finish; with lingering notes of coffee, caramel, pepper, and herbal spiciness on the finish for a bit. The pepper flavor aspect is done very well; hardly any heat noticed here, just a lot of spicy flavors. Great balance of all flavors. Medium-high carbonation and medium body; with a slightly creamy mouthfeel. Alcohol is invisible as expected for 4.4%. Overall this is a highly excellent brew from De Molen. Big flavor and balance for a session beer. Very unique, but still highly enjoyable. I look forward to trying more of their beers.

2.5/5  rDev -24%

Holy Head!! I am surprised with all the carbonation that this did not explode! It has even been i the cellar for a few months and not shaken. Took literally 10 minutes for me to pour the entire bottle and let the head settle. Pours a very cloudy copper. The nose is heavy black pepper, and jalapeno. Smell indicates more of like a chili beer... The taste was very opposite to the nose and had a huge coffee bean and chocolate flavor. This is an interesting beer for sure.. The finish produces mild hops and is extremely dry with hints of black pepper and maybe even ginger? Not a bad beer, but not sure if I would drink this again. Worth a try for sure though!.

2.35/5  rDev -28.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.25

33cl bottle into a matching De Molen snifter. The brew appears a clear copper color with an erruption of carbonation that fills the glass with 4 fingers white froth. The cap is slow to fade leaving patchy webs sticking to the glass. The streaming carbonation changes the brew from perfectly clear to chunky as it strips trub from the bottom of the glass.

The aroma is primarily green bell peppers mixed with almost a spicy chili and plenty of tin-like carbonic quality. The most faint stale coffee inclusion is noted across the back with an herbal element of hops that just doesnt blend well together.

The flavor is very carbonic tasting tin-like metallic and faintly bitter and herbal with hops. Aa bit of a vegetative flavor is present almost like the previously mention aromatics of green bell peppers. There is a sort of stale bread flavor mid palate that transitions into almost a buttery flavor in the aftertaste.

This is a medium to lighter bodied brew with way too much carbonation. Everything about this brew clashes and its not that enjoyable. This is a rare miss from De Molen and should be avoided.

2.85/5  rDev -13.4%

I was intrigued by this so I plopped down the $6 to give it a try. Immediately upon cracking the cap, it is apperant that I have a gusher. After quickly transferring it to the sink, I poured carefully in a Great Lakes snifter. Appearance is cloudy reddish orange with loads of loose foamy head which crowns above the glass. Nose features bitter coffee grounds along with earthy hops. The aroma is kind of strange. Almost smells like there is an astringency in there. The taste is bizarre. Very light flavored up front with a very neutral flavor. There is chili there, but it doesn't really contribute any heat. Coffee comes through by the middle and makes for a bitter finish. The coffee doesn't provide any of the roastiness or depth I expect, its almost more of an earthiness that pairs weird with the hops. Mouthfeel is light and prickly. Very high on the carbonation side. Overall, I'm not sure if this beer is in the condition it is intended to be by the brewer. It certainly isn't sour, but it tastes a little off. I'm feeling like this one was a waste of money.

3.43/5  rDev +4.3%

Done in a horizontal tasting with Koppi Coffee IPA from Mikkeller and Sleep Over Coffee IIPA from To Ol.

Eye: This one pours the clearest of the three, orange hued with active carbonation. Huge rocky head foams up when poured and as it recedes leaves nice lacing along the walls of the glass. This one looks the best of the three.

Nose: Big coffee aroma in this one, I know its not an IPA but, the coffee is the dominant aroma here. Very nice. Rich coffee aroma. This one has the kind of coffee aroma that you would find in Founders Breakfast stout, bold strong and in your face.

Tongue: LIght body and overall just thin. I feel like this one is quite watery compared to the other two. There is coffee flavor in here, but I feel like its just watery, there doesn't seem to be much to back it up. Carbonation is higher than it should be. There really isn't much to this beer other than the coffee, I might as well drink a cup of coffee, no complexity whatsoever. I'm left wanting more, huge let down.

Drinkability: Overall this is a beer that I won't write home about, nothing really grand about it. I prolly won't buy this one again...it was worth the try but nothing coming back to. Out of the three this one is the weakest and my least favorite. If you want single minded go for the Mikkeller, if you want something more complex go for the Sleep Over IIPA.

3.63/5  rDev +10.3%

Bottled 31 August 2011, reviewed 15 November 2012

A: Foam starts to creep out of the bottle the second I pry the cap off, which doesn't bode well for the beer. A very slow pour yields a huge, frothy white head that isn't going anywhere fast. Tons of sticky lacing is the result of the head receding, although I wouldn't wait around for it to happen. The beer itself is golden brown with orange at the edges. I really thought this beer was dark when I bought it. Apparently I should have done my research. 3.5

S: This confuses me. It's a light beer, but all I smell is coffee. Wha...how? I'm just going to go with it. It's extremely bitter. I think the coffee and the hops are colliding. I really have no idea what to think about it. 3

T: Amazingly, and I'm telling you this shocked me, the coffee is not the only thing I taste. The taste is malty, with a slight hop bitterness. The coffee comes next, but isn't as bold or robust as I had hoped. The roast lingers on the palate until whenever you decide to take another sip. I actually really like the balance this beer has. Honestly when I pour it, I expected the coffee to overtake the more subtle amber ales flavors. I could not have been more incorrect. This is a nice, light beer with coffee to add an extra punch. Truly unique. 4

MF: Light body with the above average amount of carbonation I expected after seeing the head billow up. The lingering roast is a nice addition, as I actually feel like I'm drinking coffee. I thought the drinkability on this was outstanding, but the body was way over-carbonated. 3.5

O: It really combines two of my favorite things: hops and coffee. A real surprise, probably the most surprised I've ever been by a beer. I had never seen it before picking it up at State Line Liquors in Maryland, so I can't speak to how hard it is to find. Regardless, if you're lucky enough to stumble across it, please give it a shot. It might just blow you away. 4

3.43/5  rDev +4.3%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.5

330ml bottle.

Really big frothy beige head which streams over the top of the lass on top of a clear bubbly amber body.

Aroma is straight-up bitter spent espresso grounds. Some light caramel malts and bready notes. The dry hopping is evident with some citrus, but the coffee really stands out.

Taste is really bitter with a combination of hop bitterness and scathing iced espresso bitterness. Malts are present but really overshadowed by the burnt coffee grounds, which linger in the finish.

Mouthfeel is overcarbonated. Light body and generally effervescent.

I'm a big coffee beer fan so I think I like this one better than most people. It is way overcarbonated, otherwise I would rate it even higher.

4.12/5  rDev +25.2%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

2011 vintage.

Smells like hot pickles - seriously. Fortunately I love pickles and am not put off by this.

Pours and retains a 2 finger head in a Bell's snifter.

Tastes somewhat like mild vinegar and saison. Not registering the coffee at all, but enjoying the unique flavor. Acidic without being a jerk about it, and no salty/sour vibes. Just vinegar in a somewhat good way.

Paid $6 for a single 12oz. I might do it again when I'm bored.

2.89/5  rDev -12.2%

Poured from a bottle into a 5.5 oz snifter.

First off, this was a gusher. Pours a light, caramel color with a copious head that is thick yet effervescent, with tons of staying power. I've never seen a coffee based beer this light in color. The nose is laden with caramel, vanilla, and burnt coffee. There's also a substantial hop presence, and even a bit of citrus. It also has a bit of a sour/funky quality to it, that brings the other elements down considerably. The taste is just...off. Coffee is the primary player, but its presence, it it's current iteration, is unpleasant and unwelcome. The mouthfeel is extremely thin and effervescent. Tons of carbonation. Not my thing in a coffee beer, if you can even call this a coffee beer. Overall, this is a miss. Will not revisit, will not finish.

4.69/5  rDev +42.6%

A-cloudy golden with a thin white head

S-hot chili peppers and cocoa, medium strength. this is something i could sit and smell all night long

T-comes in with a good taste of cocoa powder and good chili peppers. has that great pepper flavor, but lacks the spicyness, which i find awesome. this is just an amazing beer. great matching after-taste. very complex. very balanced.

M-high carbonation with a good dry finish

O-i've been searching for the past few years for that perfect chili-esque beer. i love the flavors of chili peppers and i love spice, but i never wanted my beers to be too spicy. this is the first beer i've had that got the flavor just perfectly. i feel like this beer is what DFH Theobroma should be. this is another beer that i wouldn't mind having an endless supply of

2.67/5  rDev -18.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.5

Like I've said before, hops and coffee aren't a natural match. In this case of a drier beer, maybe even less so. Poured at a good temperature with an absolutely mammoth amount of froth in a cream colored head that soon settled down and lots of clingy lace. Color is a hazy amber with lots of bubble trails. Aroma is coffee, hop, minerals, malt. Flavor's very similar to nose, quite dry, some cereal, with carbonic tang and hop bitter working better than I would've thought, though still, just not good. Body n carbonation are decent. Finish is like flavor, and so too long. Never get another.

1.91/5  rDev -41.9%

I was in the mood for a coffee-flavored beer, so I decided to try a bottle of this at Monk's one early afternoon.

A: I must have had an unusually active bottle, as a very gentle pour lead to a HUUUGE 4 finger creamy head. It took 5 minutes before I could even attempt to taste the beer.

S: Awful. It smelled like a box of vegetables... and a rotten one at that. Very, very faint coffee with something resembling butter.

T: Nothing like what I smelled. The taste was straight bitter coffee. So coffee-forward and so bitter I kept checking the glass (and bottom of the bottle) for coffee grounds. Little hop presence, and even that's being generous.

M: Very carbonated. Meh.

O: I really had to struggle through this. I'm hoping I had a bad bottle or something. Nasty stuff.

3.5/5  rDev +6.4%

330ml bottle served in a pint glass.

A: Pours a cloudy orange color forming a huge bubbled soapy yellow head with excellent retention and tons of lacings formed and left in the glass

S: Strong coffee and malts in the nose. Smokey, somehow. Brown sugar. Grassy hops

T: Strong notes of coffee in the mouth too. Now I understand its name, they've put a lot of coffee in it. :) Dry upfront. Dry, in overall. Caramel malts and nice hops bitterness. Dry hopped with Amarillo hops, a win-win strategy

M: Light body. Good carbonation. Coffee and grassy hops aftertaste

O: Good drinkability. Quite peculiar beer. Nice combination of Red Ale and coffee. De Molen quality. Recommended

3.76/5  rDev +14.3%

App: Cloudy, light caramel brown color. Still surprised as I grabbed this particular De Molen with the assumption I would be getting a coffee stout. Pours with a healthy head that doen't stick around too long. Don't see much of the lacing down the glass that I enjoy so much.

Smell: This is the best part of the beer for me. I get that fresh bitter coffee ground smell with just a little bit of sweetness. Coffee definitely rules the day.

Taste: No lie, a slight let down. I just cant seem to pick up the malty/sweet full body beer I desire. Nor can I get much of the coffee flavors as well. I do pick up the amarillo hops (dry hopping), but seems to come off as a weak IPA.

Mouthfeel: Oily as the flavor really coats the inside of your mouth. The hops really stick around a while. Just a little thin.

Overall: Well, I came out of hibernation (over a year since my last review) to review this beer as it is so different from anything I have had. Although it is not the best/well rounded beer, I really love how it was so unexpected. I have not had a cara malted beer with coffee... truly interesting and inspired me to record this beer. So cheers De Molen for keeping me on my toes.

to view more.