Bed And Breakfast - Brouwerij De Molen

Bed And BreakfastBed And Breakfast

Brouwerij De Molen visit their website
Netherlands

American Amber / Red Ale |  4.40% ABV

(Beer added by: BMoldy on 11-16-2011)
Reviews by russwbeck:
3.68/5  rDev +13.2%

Bottled 31 August 2011, reviewed 15 November 2012

A: Foam starts to creep out of the bottle the second I pry the cap off, which doesn't bode well for the beer. A very slow pour yields a huge, frothy white head that isn't going anywhere fast. Tons of sticky lacing is the result of the head receding, although I wouldn't wait around for it to happen. The beer itself is golden brown with orange at the edges. I really thought this beer was dark when I bought it. Apparently I should have done my research. 3.5

S: This confuses me. It's a light beer, but all I smell is coffee. Wha...how? I'm just going to go with it. It's extremely bitter. I think the coffee and the hops are colliding. I really have no idea what to think about it. 3

T: Amazingly, and I'm telling you this shocked me, the coffee is not the only thing I taste. The taste is malty, with a slight hop bitterness. The coffee comes next, but isn't as bold or robust as I had hoped. The roast lingers on the palate until whenever you decide to take another sip. I actually really like the balance this beer has. Honestly when I pour it, I expected the coffee to overtake the more subtle amber ales flavors. I could not have been more incorrect. This is a nice, light beer with coffee to add an extra punch. Truly unique. 4

MF: Light body with the above average amount of carbonation I expected after seeing the head billow up. The lingering roast is a nice addition, as I actually feel like I'm drinking coffee. I thought the drinkability on this was outstanding, but the body was way over-carbonated. 3.5

O: It really combines two of my favorite things: hops and coffee. A real surprise, probably the most surprised I've ever been by a beer. I had never seen it before picking it up at State Line Liquors in Maryland, so I can't speak to how hard it is to find. Regardless, if you're lucky enough to stumble across it, please give it a shot. It might just blow you away. 4

4.5/5  rDev +38.5%

3.83/5  rDev +17.8%

Hey its another coffee beer that isn't a brown ale or a stout, I can dig that, but after the Mikkeller Coffee ipa, I'm a little leery. This one pours like a standard amber colored beer with a nice 5/8" head on the top of it. The coffee aroma is present and more than adequate, enjoyable, nothing too exotic about it, just straight up coffee and waffles type of aroma, perfect for a moniker like bed & breakfast.

Taste, pretty easy drinking, in a way, I was a little disappointed it wasn't more robust, for the $5.49 price tag on something like this, but I didn't buy it because I truly thought it was going to be "worth" the price, but moreso to satiate my ticking curiosity. A little bit of that Denny's diner thing going on, some old school waffle and stale ash from the cigarrete tray thing going on with the wafting coffee aroma. I enjoyed it. If it was say, $6 for a 4 pack, it would be a repeat purchase, but at alsmot that much for a single 11oz bottle, well, its a good beer, but not worth the price.

Spoil yourself on an early morning fishing trip and try it sometime.

3.25/5  rDev 0%

3.25/5  rDev 0%

3.24/5  rDev -0.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

Born on August 23, 2011

One of the few light coffee beers

A: Very soda-y foamy. Orangy tan haze, opaque, massive amounts of gushing carbonation.
S: Unique. An amber beer crossed with dirt, a bit sweet with some coffee grounds in there.
T: Fairly bitter, a nice coffee flavor. It's kind of like a bitter coffee soda with a decent quality coffee. No detected alcohol.
M: Light sparkle. Dry.
O: An honorable experiment with a decent result.

3.05/5  rDev -6.2%

I can see this being an amber ale...but I must say it's a slightly odd choice of style for a coffee beer. Pours an ambery color with a BIG 3+ finger of head. Be careful, pour gently...the head can get out of hand. The aroma is definitely comprised of coffee. There's some nutty malt sweetness as well. Not much in the way of hops, though, once you throw coffee into the mix, a hoppy red may not be best. Tastes of roast and a more milder coffee than in the aroma. Slight bitter finish with some maltiness. The feel is crisp and from the pour, a bit over carbonated. There's some stinginess too it and the body is more light.

Interesting, but It's not all there. I think something like this can work, but this definitely needs more of it.

2.6/5  rDev -20%

Poured into a Gulden Draak Tulip. Pours a medium orange amber. Active carbonation with a one finger lively medium off-white head that dissipates somewhat to a thick ring leaving nice lacing. Strange aroma of malt, vegetables and coffee. Flavor is quite astringent and very bitter. Faint malt and dark fruit is overwhelmed by dry, somewhat smoky bitterness. Astringent bitter finish with a light coffee component. Phenolic band-aid flavor is too strong. The bitter component of coffee is present without a mitigating earthy, herbal component. Light to medium bodied. I like this brewery, but this is a complete miss for me. I couldn't finish a glass.

3.53/5  rDev +8.6%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

330ml bottle- ½ pt glass. Enjoyed on agt´12. Bright golden color, crystal clear appearance. Close, fairly good retention, white in color froth. A thin & lasting layer remains on top. Floral aromas, hints of coffee & toffee to the nose. Spicy & bitter coffee grain flavor. Clean bitter hops in the middle with subtle fresh fruity touch. Light to medium body, moderate carbonation. Long finish overwhelmed by coffee notes. Refreshing & very easy drinkable. Morning cup of tea or coffee to awake me up… ?? No way! I´d better have one of this.

This bottle was filled to the brim. It gushed a little bit before calming down to look very highly carbonated with a lot of activity. Bed and Breakfast poured a very light bodied and very effervescent light copper in color with a billowing two finger, quickly dissipating white head. The nose is what I expected. There is a lot of coffee, a decent amount of bitterness, toast, and slight amber malt sweetness. The flavors are similar. The coffee and the bitterness are all you really get. It's very straightforward. There is also that toast quality as well. The mouthfeel is a trainwreck. There is far too much carbonation and this feels foamy as you drink it. Overall this is one is a miss for me. If it were fuller in body and had proper carbonation I'm sure it would be up my alley. This was just too rough around the edges.

2.75/5  rDev -15.4%

3.2/5  rDev -1.5%

Amber in color with an off-white head. A mild smokiness, strangely, but maybe it’s just the coffee? There is a fair amount of coffee and some bready malt along with a subtle earthy and floral hop note. The flavors are sort of muted due to the beer being so overcarbonated. A bit of coffee, bread, and a light toffee character. A strange idea and the flavor lives up to the strangeness of it.

3.7/5  rDev +13.8%

Poured from bottle into a tulip glass.
A; pours a cloudy burnt orange color with pillowy off white head that lingers. good lacing.
S; light fruits and yeast mostly on the aroma, no hint of the coffee it should be brewed with according to the bottle.
T; follows the nose very closely, red grapes and strawberries are the fruit esters i can detect, with the yeast coming thru more in the aftertaste. still no hint of coffee. Very nice red ale, but i'm left wondering what purpose the coffee served except maybe darkening the color a little.
M; light bodied and highly carbonated, typical of the style. maybe slightly above average.
O; overall this is a very enjoyable beer, still have to wonder what purpose the coffee served, i detected none at all in it, but still a very good brew, grab one if you can.

4.03/5  rDev +24%

A: Poured from a bottle to a pint glass. Had an amber color and a cloudy consistency. There was a massive, fluffy, long-lasting head. Good lacing.

S: An interesting aroma of coffee, chilis, and some chocolate.

T: Certainly not what I was expecting: A big heap of chili peppers, a bit of coffee, some cocoa, and a bit of malt and chocolate. It's an odd combination, but oddly likeable.

M: A good amount of carbonation with a smooth finish. The chili peppers give a little burn on the way down. Medium-bodied.

O: This is definitely an oddball beer. I don't know if I'd call it an amber/red ale (I don't know what I'd call it), but it's definitely worth a shot.

Bed And Breakfast from Brouwerij De Molen