Dragon's Gold (Gluten Free) - Bard's Tale Beer Company

Dragon's Gold (Gluten Free)Dragon's Gold (Gluten Free)

poor

Bard's Tale Beer Company visit their website
Minnesota, United States

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  4.30% ABV

A gluten free offering.

(Beer added by: WesWes on 03-09-2005)

Poured into a tall pils glass it forms a tight but quickly fading white head. No lace to speak of. Shiney copper body with plenty of carbonation.

This brew has a smell and taste all to its own. Not a compliment in this case. Its super sweet malt profile is like knawing on a block of caramel. This pasty malt bill sits on your tongue and never leaves. Not a hint of hop bitterness but rather an astringent sour flash that attempts to be some balance and instead falls off the beem. There is a whole grain bread feel to this as well which is the best part of the brew but it is so far in the backdrop that its lost on me.

Notes: Yes this is brewed with special ingredients in order to be gluton free. It didn't work this time. For the 1.5 million people that have celiac find another guilty pleasure and leave this be. A contendor for the worst beer of all time. The backbone malt alternative is musky, smelly and sucks. Probably the worst beer bottled and distributed.

DogFood11, Oct 26, 2006
1.05/5  rDev -59.1%

Bottled 1/11/07

Poured a clear/clean dark golden color, nice carbonation, tiny fizzy head which disappeared quickly, basically no sticky lacing at all. The nose is pretty nasty, sour, some malts. The taste is horrible, sour, bitter, slightly malty, just plain nasty. Light-Medium body. I'm honest to say this is the first beer I poured down the drain, nasty, nasty, nasty.

Wasatch, Aug 02, 2007
1.2/5  rDev -53.3%

First of all I am going to jump on my soap box for this one. A phrase that strikes a bit of irony with this beer. Having grown up on a farm, and still maintaining an active role in agriculture I have had the displeasure of harvesting and handling Milo, commonly refered to as sorghum. The smell of this beer is extremely heavy and organic. The smell is exactly that of milo coming out of an auger. I was literally scared to taste this beer at this point so maybe my scores are skewed a little.

The irony I refered to is that of "soap". I opened this one and tried to pour it, only to get a glass full of white billowing foam. Not head foam, but foam like calgon mixed with seltzer on steroids. It took me 10 minutes to pour a 12 oz bottle into a pint glass to avoid having my own mini foam party in my living room. The color is golden with a hazy appearance. The smell, as I previously stated is purly grainy, all milo. The taste is horrible, it is smooth at first and then a putred bitter, cough syrup taste hits the back of your tongue and throat and stays there forever. Like dimatap with carbonation. The moutfeel is creamy but over carbonated. DO NOT TRY...this is the worst I have had.

hoffman, Oct 21, 2005
1.2/5  rDev -53.3%

A - Pale amber that pours a two finger white head that disipates quickly into nothingness.
S - Smells like something sweet that is sour and decomposing.
T - Sour and metallic that leaves a bitter aftertaste.
M - Light with low carbonation.
D - First and last sorghum brew. Was told by friends who are allergic to regular beers that this is the best of these kind of brews. If so I'm out.

turbine2475, Mar 19, 2008
1.23/5  rDev -52.1%

This is honestly the only beer I have ever had that I considered pouring down the drain. This beer was one of the worst I have ever had. It tasted like I was drinking a bottle of cough syrup. I could have gone to Wal-Mart bought a bottle of Tussin' and downed that. I almost need a chaser to finish this one.

casper85, Nov 28, 2007
1.38/5  rDev -46.3%

I tried this beer because my friend is on the gluten-free diet and he offered me one. I'm sure that having celiac disease sucks for those who love beer. The Bard's Tale brewer was only trying to help when they created this but in my opinion they should keep trying before they release the next one.
A. Looks just like bourbon. No head to speak of. Lots of carbonation when first opened then none at all. No retention.
S. Caremel, malt with hints of toasted rice. Floral scents with a honey background.
T. Some floral hops. A soapy metallic taste with some caremel and malt.
M. FLAT. Like a beer tea.
D. Not good. This was a good try but unfortunately it's just awful. Maybe if you were to drink this ICE-cold and then slam it, it may pass but it's doubtful.

guntherhophead, Aug 30, 2008
1.38/5  rDev -46.3%

bought this monstrosity in a mix a six by accident, what a horrible concoction. pours a normal color, copper with little or no head, but the smell is atrocious, i literally gagged. what am i getting myself into i thought, it smells like mildew and foot cheese, with some kind of wierd fruit in it, i dont know what to say. its just awful... taste is bad, i think the only thing keeping me drinking this is curiosity. its just bad, i would never tell someone to not try a beer, but this is one that i think i would, i would avoid at all costs, i hate to say this but i'd be happy to drink a bud light over this...

1fastz28, Dec 10, 2007
1.4/5  rDev -45.5%

A - Pumpkin orange and perfectly clear. Minimal head development, and after five seconds nothing is left but a wispy haze. A swirl brings up a sorry cap that turns back into a haze in seconds, and a small amount of lace sticks to the glass for a millisecond before sliding back down into the brew. The color is nice, but that is all that this one has going for it.

S - Malty oktoberfest-like notes that seem sour and off, like a very odd version of Munich malt. Sour grain, freshly cut hay, weird rotten fruit, gorilla-cage-at-the-zoo acrid musty smells, and some sake like notes. I swear to God, go to a zoo....get within 100ft of the big gorilla habitat and this is what you will smell. Very odd, but not unpleasant...I respect it's uniqueness.

T - Sour metallic funk on top of old compost pile grassy moldy mushroomy nastiness. Foul at first, but at least it's unique. What seems revolting at first eventually becomes a mushroomy earthy brew to be appreciated for it's distinct flavor. It's still pretty friggin' nasty though.

M - Acrid, tart, and acidic with minimal carbonation. Astringent.

D - I think that it's a noble undertaking to make beers for those with celiac sprue, but some one needs to get this right. I will keep trying these sorghum beers until someone comes close to making a decent brew. This is my second sorghum beer, and i think that Lakefront is doing a much better job with their New Grist sorghum brew..

Note: Although this is absolute vinigary pisswater, I think that it should be tried for it's uniqueness alone. It is a very outlandish aroma in particular...I'm serious about the gorilla cage thing. That's exactly what this smells like.

Note 2: I think that the flavors that I associate with sorghum have the potential to make a very good and very unique (think shitake mushrooms with soy sauce) brew.

pmcadamis, Jun 16, 2007
1.45/5  rDev -43.6%

12oz bottle

Sorghum lager...oh the excitement, i will still review with an optimistic outlook.

"Is the world run by six women in Omaha?"

Pours a transparent dirty yellow color with a small loose net of a white head, some stickage. Musky nose, of rotten fruit, nuts and funk, nothing appealing here, i actually cringed slightly. Watery and slightly tart, the rotten fruit comes back on the finish, lemon skin, metal, burnt plastic, pepper and salt. Bleh. Light in body, i couldnt drink this. Im no expert on the gluten free beers subject, but this is the worst ive had.

ATPete, Dec 11, 2008
1.5/5  rDev -41.6%

malfunxion, Sep 01, 2014
1.58/5  rDev -38.5%

It says so on the bottle, “a gluten free beer.” Or maybe a gluten for punishment beer. The beer poured out a very frothy and over carbonated beer as it boiled over out of the bottle when opened. The clear golden color with large bubbles for carbonation which did not last though the whole tasting and very limited lace.

The smell was most soapy with no malt or even hop notes at all. Some lighter fruity notes with a sweet pear aroma.

The taste is similar with a pear flavor and no real malt nor hop flavor. Really the taste is limited. Not really watered down but limited in taste. Some lighter sorghum flavor is noticeable as advertised. But limited taste in other areas just leaves a paste aftertaste.

The body is light and the carbonation is high. Overall this is something that I would have rather skipped.

Oxymoron, Nov 14, 2005
1.63/5  rDev -36.6%

Appearance: Medium Gold Color. Slightly hazed, with a little bit of carbonation making it’s way to the surface.

Smell: Sour cooked veggies, light graininess.

Taste: I am glad I am not a celiac. Taste is sour and pretty unpleasant, slightly metallic, leaving an acidic aftertaste.

Mouthfeel: Not very well carbonated, body is pretty thin

Drinkability: Never again, don’t get it unless you truly need to.

TastyTaste, Nov 21, 2005
1.8/5  rDev -30%

Consumed 8 months after production. Very clear amber with hints of ruby. Good appearance is where the 'goodness' ends for this brew. Aroma is of sugary malts (this is a sourghum based concoction). No head and there was large bubbles lazily making their way to the top, so I figured the conditioning would not have much bite, but I was wrong. The carbonation had quite a bit of sting. mouthfeel was light to medium and left a slick palate. The tongue curling sweetness was followed by a tinny/metallic taste. Don't think I'll try this again...I bought a single 12 oz bottle from Binny's and I'm glad I never got the sixer...

TechMyst, Jan 28, 2007
1.83/5  rDev -28.8%

This beer caters to the gluten intolerant crowd. As such, it's a lifesaver to those who require such a thing. For the rest of us, I can't imagine why we would want to drink this, unless there just wasn't anything else around.

The pour is macro average, with a deeper color. Fairly thin head that leaves quickly.

The aroma is darkly fruity, like plums or prunes. Not much in the way of malt or hops.

The taste is odd. If you've tasted sorghum, then you know what I mean. It has a sweet "corn husk" sort of flavor, like the way corn grilled in the husk smells. There is very little in the way of hops and it seems a bit unbalanced.

The mouth feel is about like the average macro, with a little less carbonation. Not as refreshing or crisp as a good lager.

Overall, my impression is that this is a decent imitation of beer, for those who wouldn't otherwise be able to drink beer. Maybe, if you're a fan of wheat beer or fruit/veggie beer in general, you might like it. I won't be having it again.

Trigcove, Jun 30, 2009
1.9/5  rDev -26.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2

Appearance: Pours a clear, orange-gold body crowned with a small ring of white bubbles.

Smell: Candyish aroma accompanied by the stink of sorghum. Of all the sorghum beers I've punished myself with, this one's aroma has been the least offensive.

Taste: A sugary, candyish sweetness can't quite mask that noxious, repellent sorghum taste. I'm tapping out, I cannot finish this.

Mouthfeel: Medium-thin body. Mild carbonation.

Drinkability: Ugh, I just can't do the sorghum.

ChainGangGuy, Feb 14, 2008
1.93/5  rDev -24.9%

Into a 12-oz mug, this pours a fairly clear amber color, with a head that nearly instantly completely fades away. Nose is lightly fruity, with a faint sour edge to it. Flavor is not at all pleasant. Medicinally fruity is the closest thing I can think of to describe it, with butterscotch back bite. There's some bitterness but hop flavor doesn't come through at all.

I found this almost undrinkable. I commend their effort to make a gluten-free beer, but if this is the best that can be done, I'm terrified of ever developing Celiac syndrome.

The name is a bit puzzling too--surely Bard's Tale is a reference to the classic videogame...it's even got the right fonts (I had it on my Amiga), but there's no mention of the relation on the label or on the website.

allengarvin, Jun 08, 2008

Had a party over the weekend and my buddies wife, who has Celiac disease, left one of these in the fridge. Figured I'd give it a shot.

Consumed 8/6/09- from notes.

Brown bottle poured into a shaker glass.

A- Very clear golden yellow with a thin white head that faded quick. No lacing to speak of.

S- Didnt pick up much besides faint yeast and something sweet.

T- A little metallic, some caramel and something that I couldnt indentify which I'm betting is the sorghum.

M- Light bodied, pretty watery with a little carbination tingle.

D- I guess if this is your only option its easy to drink. Makes me appreciate not being gluten intolerant.

tatoodkelt, Aug 06, 2009
2.05/5  rDev -20.2%

A_Pours a medium amber with a soda like big bubbled head. This dissipates quickly leaving a flat looking beer.

S_The aroma is a bit sweet. Some grain and caramel. A bit of stewed vegetables.

T_The initial sip leaves a sweet sensation which lingers in the mouth. After this there is a vague grainlike quality with some flavour I am not accustomed to. I suppose this is the Sorghum though to be honest I have never tasted this before. Virtually no hops present.

M_Has the mouthfeel of a sweet soda.

D_This really doesn't taste like beer. I suppose on its own merit it could be good as a sorghum beer but there is a reason normal beer is made with malted barley in the forefront. I suppose it is good for all of those who cannot tolerate wheat products. However as someone who can I am glad to not have to drink this stuff.

sleazo, Sep 23, 2009
2.08/5  rDev -19.1%

This beer falls under the Crocodile Dundee rule--tastes like shit but you can live on it. Or, the Budweiser rule--TECHNICALLY well brewed, but I prefer not to drink it if possible.

The light white head falls quickly on this beer regardless of several types of clean glasses I tried. Light golden color with a bit of haze. Smell is of or cardboard and grain, but not malt. Body of the beer isn't too bad, not thin, but the smell and taste have a clear limit. Cardboard and earthy grain is what comes to mind, but not the diacytal that description normall implies. I assume the smell is sorghum because I can't name a similar comparison. No wheat tang, no malty sweetness, no rice smoothness even--just the grainy pungency of this beer. With this said, I drank a six pack, with great effort, but did drink it. The beer is clean, crisp, and well brewed.

The is a sorghum based beer, and I bought it frankly because the company is thinking of centralizing the malting and brewing of this beer in the town in which I teach at the local high school. Might be the best gluten free beer you can get, but I'm glad I'm not gluten intolerant. If regular beer makes you sick, I'm guessing this isn't a bad choice.

FightingEntropy, Feb 25, 2007
2.1/5  rDev -18.3%

Pours a light rust color with a thick, wet, white head that doesn't last and tons of carbonation bubbles attaching themselves to the walls of my pint glass. Nose is malt and adjunct smells. I can only guess this gluten free brew is named for the mid '80s computer game of the same name, that provided me with hours of frustration..

At first this tastes okay, with vague malt but that's followed by a nasty streak of astringency and it in turn by nasty, roof of the mouth sweetness, like rancid molassses.. Uncool. Mouthfeel doesn't help much. Pretty close to a drain pour. This one needs some wizard magic, fast.

daliandragon, Oct 16, 2006
2.13/5  rDev -17.1%

poured with almost no head, amber color grainy over carbonated taste. it tasted like drinking alka-seltzer to me i'm not used to drinking that type of beer. i'm not trying to put it down its just not my type of beer. i would rather have a o-douls or a clausthaler.

billybob, Sep 25, 2006
2.25/5  rDev -12.5%

jaydoc, Oct 26, 2013
2.28/5  rDev -11.3%
look: 2 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Ingredients: water, sorghum, hops, yeast. Must this be classified as a fruit/vegetable beer? Sorghum is a true grain just like rice or oatmeal.

Opening bottle hissed, pours heavily carbonated, two finger head quickly lays flat. Tastes pretty bland - slightly malty, but in a watery sense and a slight tone of caramel. Some aroma hops, body hops overpowers the malt. Tastes like stale beer with Marmite mixed in.. This brew was bitter, as in iron and cardboard... oxidized, except the bottle integrity was fine (in fact the carbonation level had me burping for ages... unpleasant). I'd blame either the handling or the recipe.. not sure.

Purchased from Wine Society north Nashua NH on 3 weeks prior to this review. I just noticed the bottled-on date is exactly 12 months ago! This doesn't seem like a brew meant to be aged...

If you can find this in a single, try it. There are so few sorghum beers.. and maybe the bad reviews are due to too much OLD product in the channel.

I wanted to like this so I could suggest it to a relative, someone who can not tolerate standard barley and wheat beverages. Still looking...

altgeeky1, Nov 28, 2007
2.28/5  rDev -11.3%

Pristine 24 karat gold beneath a barely off-white cap. The foam has a coarse texture, doesn't last all that long and, frankly, isn't very attractive. It's also unsticky and results in no more than a smattering of lace. Given the constraints of brewing a gluten free beer, a higher quality head might not have been possible.

I've never smelled another nose quite like this. It isn't bad, but it doesn't smell very beer-like. It smells like butterscotch cookies, fresh out of the oven. It's odd, interesting and mildly pleasant all at once.

The flavor profile is along the same lines as the nose. I'm sure the brewers have gone to great lengths to produce a palatable product using nothing but sorghum. I'm not sure if they've succeeded though. At first blush, I'll give it drinkable. Palatable is still up for debate.

I'm having a hard time coming up words to describe what I'm tasting because Dragon's Gold is so different from anything that I've ever experienced in the world of beer. It's butterscotchy and apple fruity with a weird sort of chemical flavor. Strangely enough, it doesn't taste all that grain-like. For all I know, neither does sorghum.

The mouthfeel is unquestionably light, yet never descends into wateriness. It's decently carbonated as well. Actually, the mouthfeel is the most beer-like thing about this beer (other than the appearance).

I can't say that I'm thrilled with Dragon's Gold and won't be drinking it again. Having said that, because I have a daughter who requires a gluten free diet, I appreciate the effort that Bard's Tale has expended in the creation of a product that is the only beer that some people will ever be able to drink. They deserve a great deal of credit and I wish them every success.

BuckeyeNation, Jan 05, 2007
2.3/5  rDev -10.5%

A: Deep orange amber color with a small head that doesn't retain too well. Leaves little lace.

S: Sweet. Toffee, grass and citrus, plus a little apple.

T: Not good to me. The beer has a strange overall bittersweet flavor. Sweet bitter balance is OK. Sweetness comes in the form of caramel, toffee, apple and orange. Hops add some peppery bitterness, but little flavor. Finishes with an odd lingering toffee and apple sweetness.

M: Medium body is somewhat syrupy. Carbonation level is right.

D: Not something to revisit.

Rayek, Jul 15, 2008