Bard's Gold - Bard's Tale Beer Company

to view more.
Ratings: 108 | Reviews: 63
2.79/5  rDev +17.2%
look: 3 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.75

i know a lot of the gluten free beer out there right now isnt gluten free at all, and thats not good for those who are seriously sick, not just those following the trend, so its nice to have this on the market as an alternative that actually is gluten free. the problem is, it just doesnt taste much like beer, and i dont think sorghum drinks really ever can. it looks really pale and fizzy, like carbonated apple juice, and has a sort of similar aroma, sweet and fruity, but this is not a good stand in for malted barley, and the difference is immediately evident. there doesnt appear to be much hops in here either, as it finishes long and sweet as well. its not bad, i mean, but it isnt beer. i am (obviously) not in the group that cant drink beer yet (fingers crossed i never am), so its hard to say how this stacks up to others like a red bridge or a glutenator from epic made with sweet potatoes, but i know that its not close enough to beer to be passable. its not a bad drink, not by any means, and i think it belongs in the market, but its also not really a beer... i dont know

3.29/5  rDev +38.2%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Pretty good beer for a gluten-free, sorghum-based beer. I always buy it when I can find it!

2.5/5  rDev +5%

Bottle from Harvest Market to fill the mix a six I was putting together.
Fairly clear light golden head with a tightly bubbled small white head that dissipates rather quickly. Aromas of sour apple and light sugar. Little to no hop aroma. The flavor is sweet with a bit of a tart fruit thing going on with bit of pomme fruit and light sugar. Light, crisp, bubbly. Not really what I would call beer, but it didn't really suck either.

2.79/5  rDev +17.2%
look: 3 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.75

A: Pours a clear medium yellow in color with light amounts of active visible carbonation rising slowly from the bottom of the glass and some faint straw yellow highlights. The beer has a half finger tall foamy white head that reduces to a couple of small patches of very thin film and a thin ring at the edges of the glass. Light amounts of lacing are observed.

S: Moderate aromas of sorghum grainy/grassiness.

T: Upfront there is a moderate flavor of sorghum and a hint of graininess - there are also hints of caramel and buttery notes. Very light hints of grassy hops which imparts just the slightest hint of bitterness which fades almost immediately.

M: Light bodied with a moderate amount of carbonation.

O: The flavor of sorghum is not hidden but that is okay if you don't mind it or enjoy it - pretty decent for a gluten-free beer but not the most exciting or interesting beer out there.

2.84/5  rDev +19.3%
look: 2.75 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3

A: The beer is crystal clear dark golden yellow in color and has a moderate amount of visible carbonation. It poured with a quarter finger high bright white head consisting of large bubbles that died down rather quickly, leaving a collar around the edge of the glass, and eventually completely fading away.
S: Moderate aromas of sorghum are present in the nose.
T: Just like the smell, the taste has flavors of sorghum. No bitterness is perceptible.
M: It feels light-bodied on the palate and has a moderate amount of carbonation.
O: This beer doesn't have any exciting aromas or flavors but is relatively easy to drink for a gluten-free beer because it doesn't have any rancid flavors. Once you get accustomed to the sorghum, it's not that bad.

3.5/5  rDev +47.1%

This is a three for people who can drink anything they want, a four for people who can't handle barley or wheat.

Barley is fantastic for making beer because it converts more starch into malt sugar than anything else. It's not delicate - you can do what you like, make a real hopped-out IPA and still get strong malt taste. Other grains and seeds aren't like that and they taste like themselves first, often not very assertively. I live a continent away from Bard's and it does taste like it might be better nearer the source.

This is a decent sorghum beer - probably pretty average if you went to Africa and sampled around but good in North America. I would enjoy sorghum malt even if I didn't need to avoid barley; this tastes malty and lactic with some hops and fruit, but not floral. It's become my go-to GF beer: findable and affordable, goes with spicy food, and made from grain, hops, yeast and water. When I crave beerness I can find it with this. I like that it's a little lower in alcohol (4.7%) because alcohol is bitter and I'd rather have a balanced taste and no hangover. It will not appeal to you if you like untempered IPA but might if you like lambics (I love real lambic and will brave gluten for it).

That said I'm not surprised that this is rated highly by people who like Coors Light - it is thin and light, but tastes crafty rather than mainstream. Definitely worth a try if you're looking for GF and don't want the candy-syrup beers (those are the real concoctions). For me beer is a living thing and I mostly want it to taste that way.

1.06/5  rDev -55.5%

I have recently been informed by two physicians that I am 99% celiac positive, but am awaiting an endoscopy / biopsy for 100 % diagnosis. Having been told that I most likely will have to give up my 30 year passion for beer, I went out today and purchased my first ever six pack of imitation beer, aka Bard's Tale Gold. I tried very hard to keep an open mind before trying this concoction. I do not drink beer to get intoxicated. I drink beer because I love the palatable complexities and varieties it affords. I am, and I say this with pride, a beer snob. Trust me, if this was merely about catching a buzz, I understand that in spite of celicac, I can still drink a variety of distilled spirits or wine.

That being said, I am extremely unhappy with Bard's Tale Gold. It is, quite simply, not beer. It has absolutely no mouth feel of a beer. It has an unpleasant, grassy, sugary, fruit-gone-bad taste, no lasting head or lacing when poured, the aroma is not an aroma...more a bad extract scent, and it did not pair well with the appetizer or stir fry I prepared for dinner. This IS NOT BEER. Shame on the brewers, who I do understand are celiac sufferers, for calling it beer. If the brewers truly once LOVED beer, then TRY HARDER. Your product is LIGHT GRASS CIDER. Add some hops, a lot of hops, more sugars to amp up the alcohol content. Give your recipe some color and some carbonation. Experiment with something other than sorghum. Yes, I know it has been used in Africa for a long time, but it is not the only option. How about removing gluten during the process?

I sit here at my computer and ask myself if the celiac diagnosis is worth Bard's Tale beer?
My response: I am drinking a Yard's Tavern Spruce. I'll get "glutened" and enjoy myself before I'll drink more Bard's Beer. Will real beer make me feel bloated and maybe cause me to have diarrhea, constipation, gas, weight gain, weight loss, anemia, B 12 deficiency, vitamin D deficiency, fatigue, muscle aches, migraines, joint pain, and memory loss. Yes, it most likely will. So do my allergy meds. My cholesterol meds. Oh, and aging. Getting old isn't for wussies.

I am NOT taking shots at those of you who are suffering really bad consequences of celiac. Trust me when I say this. I am 46 and was diagnosed with Type I diabetes when I was three years old. I don't remember life without living with an autoimmune disease. I take four injections of insulin daily. I check my blood sugar eight times daily. I count carbs (including beer) and adjust my insulin dosages accordingly. I do most likely have celiac. But I have lived the majority of my life not knowing it. I have also lived my adult life enjoying beer as a pleasurable vice that I enjoy in extreme moderation given my Type I diabetes condition. Bard's is not beer.

2.76/5  rDev +16%

I had purchased this a while back, thinking that perhaps an article on gluten-free beers might be in the offing. When I could not find a taker, the beers got shunted to the side. I had a colleague who has issues with gluten and she was always curious about beers that were gluten-free. I usually eschew them since I am not gluten-intolerant and prefer to leave them for people who are. In the interim, I am purging my massive backlog of bottles this summer and lo and behold! this one popped up. They will now be part of The Great Bottle Purge of the Summer of 2014.

From the bottle: "The Original Sorghum Malt Beer"; "Discuss it over a Bard's"; "Contains No Wheat, Barley, Rye or Oats"; "Gluten-Free"; "Beer Made From Sorghum".

From the underside of the cap: "Can the inventor of the ukelele be charged with crimes against humanity? Discuss it over a Bard's".

I popped the cap and the neck suddenly filled with a cap of foam. Calming time! Even with the calming and a gentle pour, I got a pseudo-cascade and a lot of foaming action. It settled into three dense fingers of French Vanilla-colored -white head that slowly dropped, leaving nice lacing in its wake. Color was, indeed, gold (SRM = 5), so points for truth in advertising, plus it had NE-quality clarity. Nose was back to the now-familiar apple vinegar sharpness. It is really making me glad that I do not have Celiac and so this can be an experiment, rather than a way of life. Mouthfeel was thin, watery and spritzy like seltzer. Taste was of apple vinegar, but it was not as pronounced or as sharp as in some of the others in this adventure. Finish was kind of bland and dull and now I cannot decide which is worse - sharp and memorable or bland and dull. I would choose this over some of the others simply because its pungency was somehow lessened. Talk about damning with faint praise ...

3.12/5  rDev +31.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3

Fantastic Marketing, fun topics on bottle lids, such as “Do telemarketers have an evil laugh they do when they dial?” Only thing missing is the beer. It's smooth, it's golden. The body of the beer is extremely weak and it has a very submissive taste- leaving little to no aftertaste.

Bards beer is really good gluten free beer it taste like the beer I use to drink before I went on my gluten free diet
I use to drink coors light
I give it a 10 out of 10 that's how good it is
It smells like coors light not apples or green apples
It tast like coors light to

1.34/5  rDev -43.7%
look: 2.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1 | feel: 1.75 | overall: 1.25

355 ml bottle picked up from the singles bin at the LCBO for $2.00 CDN

Appearance - Clear golden color with slight amount of haze. Less than 1/2 finger of head is poured and dissipates almost instantly. Very little carbonation present.

Smell - Not sure what's going on here. Not pleasant. Sour notes, vegetables maybe. Throw some overripe grapes in for good measure. Slightly medicinal. Maybe apple? Funky, processed smells too. Sometimes not smelling like anything is better than smelling like this.

Taste - Slightly soda-ish quality to this. Funky aftertaste. Medicinal with almost the flavor of bands aids- afterwards. Blech.

Mouthfeel - Thin, watery feeling. I can't say watery tasting since its hard to get that flavor out of your mouth. Dry finish.

Overall - And the winner for the beer I'm least likely to ever drink again is.... this one. Feel bad for those than can't process gluten, but please even if these reviews do not deter you, please only buy a single before committing to a purchase. Review ended with a drain-pour.

The only reason I gave this a 1 is because they dont allow you to put a negative score in. Quite possibly the worst thing i have ever drank. I would prefer a warm pint of bottom shelf gin then this atrocity. I dont even know how you can call this beer. I read through all these reviews and could not fathom a beer actually tasting that bad. Well I was most defintiely wrong. The taste is still lingering 10 minutes later.

1.06/5  rDev -55.5%

Smells like really bad beer, but at least it smelled like beer. This is it's strong point.

Tastes like adhesive. Really strong aftertaste of synthetic aircraft grade adhesive spray.

My first Gluten free beer. I sure hope there are other options for the gluten free people. I'll try to find a better option and report back.

No further detail.

1.73/5  rDev -27.3%

Appearance - Poured from a bottle into a Duvel tulip glass (I feel like I have now tainted my tulip glass). Yellow, small tint of copper.

Smell - sweet, surghom sugar.

Taste - no flavor whatsoever. Aftertaste of sorghum.

Mouthfeel - so-so.

Overall - I would only recommend this beer to my gravest enemies.

1.45/5  rDev -39.1%

Appearance: Gold amber glass shows almost painful clarity. Pours with an active white head that dies back like soda to just a half collar.

Smell: Rubbing alcohol? Dusty vodka? First whiffs are very alcoholic with a vegetal funk going.

Taste: Oh gawd. This is drain food. Very chemical tasting, medicinal/band aid nasty. Tonic water base offers no redeeming qualities.

Mouthfeel: Thin, carbonated water. Dry finish.

Overall: I feel for folks that can't process gluten, but I'd steer them over to a good vodka over this. I'm taking this out back and shooting it.

2.5/5  rDev +5%

Came out of the bottle a cloudy orange with no head at all.

This beer had a very faint sweet smell which must be the sorghum.

Doesn't taste terrible has a sweet bitter taste.

Felt pretty thin in the mouth will a little carbonation.

Overall as a gluten free beer this isn't too bad, but compared to it's gluten enriched rivals it fails to inspire.

2.5/5  rDev +5%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

This beer is a palatable below average beer. I wouldn't chuck it I wouldn't buy it but if you but it in my hands I would raise it to my lips on instinct

A) to dark for an american style lager this is thanks to the sorghum base that makes up this drink

S) I'm holding to my nose as I type this and all I can say is... theres not a drop of art in this glass

T) bland

M) thin

O) this beer is not bad at all... just... effectively boring

2.02/5  rDev -15.1%

Gifted by Huhzubendah- Thanks Matt!

Pours a light gold color w/ a small off white head. This brew leaves a small amount of lacing on my snifter glass. Pretty clear in appearance- I can see through to the other side very easily. The nose on this makes me wince a little bit- it's like no other beer I've had... I mainly get some rice, sorghum, and sugar sweetness in the nose. It's not good. The taste follows suit, although a touch better. There's a mild hops aftertaste that kind of cleanses the sugar out of your mouth. It's pretty bad, but not the worst thing I've had. The feel is light, w/ good carbonation and a dry finish. Overall, I'm glad I got to try a Sorghum beer, but I think I'll stick to the regular stuff from here on out. Cheers.

1.59/5  rDev -33.2%

Thanks to Huhzubendah for gifting this one. Served in a Bruery tulip.

Pours a clear light copper color with a very short head that dissipates quickly, leaving just a bit of a collar with some big bubbles. The nose is pretty off-putting and smells mostly of rice with a bit of staleness. Flavor is full of adjunct character. Yuck. Light body and crisp carbonation. Dry, off-putting finish. Why do I use "off-putting" so much? That sums up this "beer." Why would you create a gluten-free beer and emphasize the gluten-free part? Maybe some hop or yeast character. Yuck. Sick. Boo.

1.84/5  rDev -22.7%

12oz bottle poured into a pint glass. Neck stamped PD 12/15/2010.

Appearance - Clear amber body. Two finger loose white head with decent to good stick and decent retention.

Smell - Alcohol. Dark fruit. Almost smells like a Belgian abbey ale. Weird.

Taste - Almost flavorless. Tastes like burning plastic. I do not wish this on another human being.

Mouthfeel - Solvent. Astringent. Caustic.

Overall Drinkability - Probably the single worst beer I've ever had.

3.1/5  rDev +30.3%

Pours a dark gold with loose, bubbly, dish soap-like head that quickly disappears. The nose is sweet, sugary, and grainy. The taste is sweet, fruity with hints of apple, and has notes of caramel. The mouthfeel is light to medium bodied, lightly carbonated, and smooth.

For a beer made from sorghum it's not bad, a little sweet at times, but not bad. This isn't something that I would go out of my way to get, but it wasn't bad to try once.

1.95/5  rDev -18.1%

Thanks to Huhzubendah for sharing this with me, I think.

Beer is headless, almost no carbonation, yellow, clear, no lacing, doesn't even really look like beer.

Aroma is vegetal and sweet with this kind of harsh boiled chlorophyll sort of aroma...not inviting.

I don't just want to say the beer was bad, because it was, I have specific objections to it. Things like, the finish was really solventy, almost acetone, the forward was oddly cloyingly sweet, the beer is a train wreck. You can't make a decent beer without good grains, if you can't drink beer, try Saki.

2.56/5  rDev +7.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

The beer is slightly hazy and appears a light orange color. The aroma offers some sweet, malty fruit, with a hint of candied oranges. Light toffee in the flavor, with some biscuit malt in the taste as well. Sweet fruit is present throughout. Light to medium in body, with moderately low carbonation. A decent choice for those who must have gluten free beer, though not my cup of tea.

1.23/5  rDev -48.3%

I found this single 12oz brown bottle at the Binny's store in Plainfield, IL for $1.89. This is one of those gluten free beers, so it doesn't contain any wheat, barley, rye, or oats. Instead they brew this with sorghum.

The beer poured a mostly clear medium gold color, but only produced a ½-finger of white head that dissipated in about 15 seconds. Lacing was minimal.

The smell was all sorghum, which is not a pleasant smell.

The taste is sweet, and once again all sorghum with maybe some honey underneath it. I didn't like it at all.

Mouthfeel was OK. The body was medium and the carbonation was moderately high.

Still looking for a sorghum beer that I like. Unless you need to drink these for health reasons, I'd pass on this one.

3.9/5  rDev +63.9%

Got this in the bargain bin at the grocery store. It's a solidly good beer, and has unique flavor, but I wouldn't call it "great."

Can't get a good look at it in the bottle. Don't know what it looks like.

Bananas in the nose but not in the taste, apples and a little hops. Reminds me of wet concrete.

Taste is... pretty good overall. I get medium sweetness with strong toffy and less prominent but still strong coffee flavors and crab apples. It tastes almost like Roman nougat if they dipped it in coffee instead of chocolate. Very bitter aftertaste. Not much hops.

Feels light, but not as light as a lager and lightly carbonated. When I swish it around in my mouth it doesn't emulsify the way other beers do, it just kind of increases in volume.

I would drink this again, but not unless it was on sale. There's better stuff for cheaper.

to view more.