1. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Bard's Gold - Bard's Tale Beer Company

Bard's GoldBard's Gold

awful

Bard's Tale Beer Company visit their website
Minnesota, United States

American Adjunct Lager |  4.60% ABV

(Beer added by: BEERchitect on 01-28-2009)
2.64/5  rDev +11.4%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

3.31/5  rDev +39.7%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Pretty good beer for a gluten-free, sorghum-based beer. I always buy it when I can find it!

2.5/5  rDev +5.5%

Bottle from Harvest Market to fill the mix a six I was putting together.
Fairly clear light golden head with a tightly bubbled small white head that dissipates rather quickly. Aromas of sour apple and light sugar. Little to no hop aroma. The flavor is sweet with a bit of a tart fruit thing going on with bit of pomme fruit and light sugar. Light, crisp, bubbly. Not really what I would call beer, but it didn't really suck either.

2.25/5  rDev -5.1%

2.79/5  rDev +17.7%
look: 3 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.75

A: Pours a clear medium yellow in color with light amounts of active visible carbonation rising slowly from the bottom of the glass and some faint straw yellow highlights. The beer has a half finger tall foamy white head that reduces to a couple of small patches of very thin film and a thin ring at the edges of the glass. Light amounts of lacing are observed.

S: Moderate aromas of sorghum grainy/grassiness.

T: Upfront there is a moderate flavor of sorghum and a hint of graininess - there are also hints of caramel and buttery notes. Very light hints of grassy hops which imparts just the slightest hint of bitterness which fades almost immediately.

M: Light bodied with a moderate amount of carbonation.

O: The flavor of sorghum is not hidden but that is okay if you don't mind it or enjoy it - pretty decent for a gluten-free beer but not the most exciting or interesting beer out there.

2.83/5  rDev +19.4%
look: 2.75 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3

A: The beer is crystal clear dark golden yellow in color and has a moderate amount of visible carbonation. It poured with a quarter finger high bright white head consisting of large bubbles that died down rather quickly, leaving a collar around the edge of the glass, and eventually completely fading away.
S: Moderate aromas of sorghum are present in the nose.
T: Just like the smell, the taste has flavors of sorghum. No bitterness is perceptible.
M: It feels light-bodied on the palate and has a moderate amount of carbonation.
O: This beer doesn't have any exciting aromas or flavors but is relatively easy to drink for a gluten-free beer because it doesn't have any rancid flavors. Once you get accustomed to the sorghum, it's not that bad.

3.5/5  rDev +47.7%

This is a three for people who can drink anything they want, a four for people who can't handle barley or wheat.

Barley is fantastic for making beer because it converts more starch into malt sugar than anything else. It's not delicate - you can do what you like, make a real hopped-out IPA and still get strong malt taste. Other grains and seeds aren't like that and they taste like themselves first, often not very assertively. I live a continent away from Bard's and it does taste like it might be better nearer the source.

This is a decent sorghum beer - probably pretty average if you went to Africa and sampled around but good in North America. I would enjoy sorghum malt even if I didn't need to avoid barley; this tastes malty and lactic with some hops and fruit, but not floral. It's become my go-to GF beer: findable and affordable, goes with spicy food, and made from grain, hops, yeast and water. When I crave beerness I can find it with this. I like that it's a little lower in alcohol (4.7%) because alcohol is bitter and I'd rather have a balanced taste and no hangover. It will not appeal to you if you like untempered IPA but might if you like lambics (I love real lambic and will brave gluten for it).

That said I'm not surprised that this is rated highly by people who like Coors Light - it is thin and light, but tastes crafty rather than mainstream. Definitely worth a try if you're looking for GF and don't want the candy-syrup beers (those are the real concoctions). For me beer is a living thing and I mostly want it to taste that way.

1.05/5  rDev -55.7%

I have recently been informed by two physicians that I am 99% celiac positive, but am awaiting an endoscopy / biopsy for 100 % diagnosis. Having been told that I most likely will have to give up my 30 year passion for beer, I went out today and purchased my first ever six pack of imitation beer, aka Bard's Tale Gold. I tried very hard to keep an open mind before trying this concoction. I do not drink beer to get intoxicated. I drink beer because I love the palatable complexities and varieties it affords. I am, and I say this with pride, a beer snob. Trust me, if this was merely about catching a buzz, I understand that in spite of celicac, I can still drink a variety of distilled spirits or wine.

That being said, I am extremely unhappy with Bard's Tale Gold. It is, quite simply, not beer. It has absolutely no mouth feel of a beer. It has an unpleasant, grassy, sugary, fruit-gone-bad taste, no lasting head or lacing when poured, the aroma is not an aroma...more a bad extract scent, and it did not pair well with the appetizer or stir fry I prepared for dinner. This IS NOT BEER. Shame on the brewers, who I do understand are celiac sufferers, for calling it beer. If the brewers truly once LOVED beer, then TRY HARDER. Your product is LIGHT GRASS CIDER. Add some hops, a lot of hops, more sugars to amp up the alcohol content. Give your recipe some color and some carbonation. Experiment with something other than sorghum. Yes, I know it has been used in Africa for a long time, but it is not the only option. How about removing gluten during the process?

I sit here at my computer and ask myself if the celiac diagnosis is worth Bard's Tale beer?
My response: I am drinking a Yard's Tavern Spruce. I'll get "glutened" and enjoy myself before I'll drink more Bard's Beer. Will real beer make me feel bloated and maybe cause me to have diarrhea, constipation, gas, weight gain, weight loss, anemia, B 12 deficiency, vitamin D deficiency, fatigue, muscle aches, migraines, joint pain, and memory loss. Yes, it most likely will. So do my allergy meds. My cholesterol meds. Oh, and aging. Getting old isn't for wussies.

I am NOT taking shots at those of you who are suffering really bad consequences of celiac. Trust me when I say this. I am 46 and was diagnosed with Type I diabetes when I was three years old. I don't remember life without living with an autoimmune disease. I take four injections of insulin daily. I check my blood sugar eight times daily. I count carbs (including beer) and adjust my insulin dosages accordingly. I do most likely have celiac. But I have lived the majority of my life not knowing it. I have also lived my adult life enjoying beer as a pleasurable vice that I enjoy in extreme moderation given my Type I diabetes condition. Bard's is not beer.

2.78/5  rDev +17.3%

I had purchased this a while back, thinking that perhaps an article on gluten-free beers might be in the offing. When I could not find a taker, the beers got shunted to the side. I had a colleague who has issues with gluten and she was always curious about beers that were gluten-free. I usually eschew them since I am not gluten-intolerant and prefer to leave them for people who are. In the interim, I am purging my massive backlog of bottles this summer and lo and behold! this one popped up. They will now be part of The Great Bottle Purge of the Summer of 2014.

From the bottle: "The Original Sorghum Malt Beer"; "Discuss it over a Bard's"; "Contains No Wheat, Barley, Rye or Oats"; "Gluten-Free"; "Beer Made From Sorghum".

From the underside of the cap: "Can the inventor of the ukelele be charged with crimes against humanity? Discuss it over a Bard's".

I popped the cap and the neck suddenly filled with a cap of foam. Calming time! Even with the calming and a gentle pour, I got a pseudo-cascade and a lot of foaming action. It settled into three dense fingers of French Vanilla-colored -white head that slowly dropped, leaving nice lacing in its wake. Color was, indeed, gold (SRM = 5), so points for truth in advertising, plus it had NE-quality clarity. Nose was back to the now-familiar apple vinegar sharpness. It is really making me glad that I do not have Celiac and so this can be an experiment, rather than a way of life. Mouthfeel was thin, watery and spritzy like seltzer. Taste was of apple vinegar, but it was not as pronounced or as sharp as in some of the others in this adventure. Finish was kind of bland and dull and now I cannot decide which is worse - sharp and memorable or bland and dull. I would choose this over some of the others simply because its pungency was somehow lessened. Talk about damning with faint praise ...

3.13/5  rDev +32.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3

Fantastic Marketing, fun topics on bottle lids, such as “Do telemarketers have an evil laugh they do when they dial?” Only thing missing is the beer. It's smooth, it's golden. The body of the beer is extremely weak and it has a very submissive taste- leaving little to no aftertaste.

2.25/5  rDev -5.1%

2.75/5  rDev +16%

3.25/5  rDev +37.1%

Bards beer is really good gluten free beer it taste like the beer I use to drink before I went on my gluten free diet
I use to drink coors light
I give it a 10 out of 10 that's how good it is
It smells like coors light not apples or green apples
It tast like coors light to

3.25/5  rDev +37.1%