Bard's Gold - Bard's Tale Beer Company

poor

Bard's Tale Beer Company visit their website
Minnesota, United States

American Adjunct Lager |  4.60% ABV

(Beer added by: BEERchitect on 01-28-2009)

The only reason I gave this a 1 is because they dont allow you to put a negative score in. Quite possibly the worst thing i have ever drank. I would prefer a warm pint of bottom shelf gin then this atrocity. I dont even know how you can call this beer. I read through all these reviews and could not fathom a beer actually tasting that bad. Well I was most defintiely wrong. The taste is still lingering 10 minutes later.

There is a lot of talk about gluten-free products. From the food we eat to the beer we drink, gluten-free is a popular topic of discussion. The beer we are drinking today would fit nicely in that conversation. The beer is gluten-free. Apparently there are 10,000 different types of sorghum out there… and no one knows which one is best to brew with. But let’s see what this little guy smells and tastes like.

What is that nose? I like it… a lot. I want to say fruit, but I am not sure. It smells wet too, and I fear, based on how this poured into the glass, is going to be a little carbonated as well.

But it’s not. It’s not carbonated at all. It actually has very little mouthfeel whatsoever. It goes in, goes down, and you sit there thinking… what’s next? Let’s try it again just for good measure. Yeah, same thing. The best way I can describe this is drinking a can of soda that has been left open in the fridge for, oh, a week.

I’m sorry to all of those who live a gluten-free life, but I have to tell you… my beer tastes better. This is just bad. The smell is incredible, but it stops there. I hate that too, as I wanted this beer to be good. At least for the gluten-free people.

1.05/5  rDev -55.7%

Smells like really bad beer, but at least it smelled like beer. This is it's strong point.

Tastes like adhesive. Really strong aftertaste of synthetic aircraft grade adhesive spray.

My first Gluten free beer. I sure hope there are other options for the gluten free people. I'll try to find a better option and report back.

No further detail.

1.05/5  rDev -55.7%

I have recently been informed by two physicians that I am 99% celiac positive, but am awaiting an endoscopy / biopsy for 100 % diagnosis. Having been told that I most likely will have to give up my 30 year passion for beer, I went out today and purchased my first ever six pack of imitation beer, aka Bard's Tale Gold. I tried very hard to keep an open mind before trying this concoction. I do not drink beer to get intoxicated. I drink beer because I love the palatable complexities and varieties it affords. I am, and I say this with pride, a beer snob. Trust me, if this was merely about catching a buzz, I understand that in spite of celicac, I can still drink a variety of distilled spirits or wine.

That being said, I am extremely unhappy with Bard's Tale Gold. It is, quite simply, not beer. It has absolutely no mouth feel of a beer. It has an unpleasant, grassy, sugary, fruit-gone-bad taste, no lasting head or lacing when poured, the aroma is not an aroma...more a bad extract scent, and it did not pair well with the appetizer or stir fry I prepared for dinner. This IS NOT BEER. Shame on the brewers, who I do understand are celiac sufferers, for calling it beer. If the brewers truly once LOVED beer, then TRY HARDER. Your product is LIGHT GRASS CIDER. Add some hops, a lot of hops, more sugars to amp up the alcohol content. Give your recipe some color and some carbonation. Experiment with something other than sorghum. Yes, I know it has been used in Africa for a long time, but it is not the only option. How about removing gluten during the process?

I sit here at my computer and ask myself if the celiac diagnosis is worth Bard's Tale beer?
My response: I am drinking a Yard's Tavern Spruce. I'll get "glutened" and enjoy myself before I'll drink more Bard's Beer. Will real beer make me feel bloated and maybe cause me to have diarrhea, constipation, gas, weight gain, weight loss, anemia, B 12 deficiency, vitamin D deficiency, fatigue, muscle aches, migraines, joint pain, and memory loss. Yes, it most likely will. So do my allergy meds. My cholesterol meds. Oh, and aging. Getting old isn't for wussies.

I am NOT taking shots at those of you who are suffering really bad consequences of celiac. Trust me when I say this. I am 46 and was diagnosed with Type I diabetes when I was three years old. I don't remember life without living with an autoimmune disease. I take four injections of insulin daily. I check my blood sugar eight times daily. I count carbs (including beer) and adjust my insulin dosages accordingly. I do most likely have celiac. But I have lived the majority of my life not knowing it. I have also lived my adult life enjoying beer as a pleasurable vice that I enjoy in extreme moderation given my Type I diabetes condition. Bard's is not beer.

1.23/5  rDev -48.1%

I found this single 12oz brown bottle at the Binny's store in Plainfield, IL for $1.89. This is one of those gluten free beers, so it doesn't contain any wheat, barley, rye, or oats. Instead they brew this with sorghum.

The beer poured a mostly clear medium gold color, but only produced a ½-finger of white head that dissipated in about 15 seconds. Lacing was minimal.

The smell was all sorghum, which is not a pleasant smell.

The taste is sweet, and once again all sorghum with maybe some honey underneath it. I didn't like it at all.

Mouthfeel was OK. The body was medium and the carbonation was moderately high.

Still looking for a sorghum beer that I like. Unless you need to drink these for health reasons, I'd pass on this one.

1.25/5  rDev -47.3%

1.4/5  rDev -40.9%

Appearance: Gold amber glass shows almost painful clarity. Pours with an active white head that dies back like soda to just a half collar.

Smell: Rubbing alcohol? Dusty vodka? First whiffs are very alcoholic with a vegetal funk going.

Taste: Oh gawd. This is drain food. Very chemical tasting, medicinal/band aid nasty. Tonic water base offers no redeeming qualities.

Mouthfeel: Thin, carbonated water. Dry finish.

Overall: I feel for folks that can't process gluten, but I'd steer them over to a good vodka over this. I'm taking this out back and shooting it.

1.41/5  rDev -40.5%
look: 2.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.25 | feel: 1.75 | overall: 1.25

355 ml bottle picked up from the singles bin at the LCBO for $2.00 CDN

Appearance - Clear golden color with slight amount of haze. Less than 1/2 finger of head is poured and dissipates almost instantly. Very little carbonation present.

Smell - Not sure what's going on here. Not pleasant. Sour notes, vegetables maybe. Throw some overripe grapes in for good measure. Slightly medicinal. Maybe apple? Funky, processed smells too. Sometimes not smelling like anything is better than smelling like this.

Taste - Slightly soda-ish quality to this. Funky aftertaste. Medicinal with almost the flavor of bands aids- afterwards. Blech.

Mouthfeel - Thin, watery feeling. I can't say watery tasting since its hard to get that flavor out of your mouth. Dry finish.

Overall - And the winner for the beer I'm least likely to ever drink again is.... this one. Feel bad for those than can't process gluten, but please even if these reviews do not deter you, please only buy a single before committing to a purchase. Review ended with a drain-pour.

1.45/5  rDev -38.8%

A) Lots of carbonation-very little foam, no lacing. Reminds me a little of champagne
S) not a lot of aroma-something a little sharp and crisp
T) Well, it would be great if you want to drink a bottle of blackstrap sorghum molasses. No lie there. When I drank this I was thinking it needed to go on cornpone.
M) Thin
D) Drank a third of it and could not finish.

1.48/5  rDev -37.6%

I had out of a bottle
A- Light gold in color. No real head and no lacing.
S- Had a sour fruit scent to it.
T- This beer tastes a lot like soap, no lie. And it consistently gets worse tasting with each sip. I actually got about a quarter of the way through and just gave up.

Bard's Gold from Bard's Tale Beer Company