Hello, is it beer you're looking for?

Bard's Gold - Bard's Tale Beer Company

Bard's GoldBard's Gold

Bard's Tale Beer Company visit their website
Minnesota, United States

American Adjunct Lager |  4.60% ABV

Beer added by: BEERchitect on 01-28-2009

The only reason I gave this a 1 is because they dont allow you to put a negative score in. Quite possibly the worst thing i have ever drank. I would prefer a warm pint of bottom shelf gin then this atrocity. I dont even know how you can call this beer. I read through all these reviews and could not fathom a beer actually tasting that bad. Well I was most defintiely wrong. The taste is still lingering 10 minutes later.

There is a lot of talk about gluten-free products. From the food we eat to the beer we drink, gluten-free is a popular topic of discussion. The beer we are drinking today would fit nicely in that conversation. The beer is gluten-free. Apparently there are 10,000 different types of sorghum out there… and no one knows which one is best to brew with. But let’s see what this little guy smells and tastes like.

What is that nose? I like it… a lot. I want to say fruit, but I am not sure. It smells wet too, and I fear, based on how this poured into the glass, is going to be a little carbonated as well.

But it’s not. It’s not carbonated at all. It actually has very little mouthfeel whatsoever. It goes in, goes down, and you sit there thinking… what’s next? Let’s try it again just for good measure. Yeah, same thing. The best way I can describe this is drinking a can of soda that has been left open in the fridge for, oh, a week.

I’m sorry to all of those who live a gluten-free life, but I have to tell you… my beer tastes better. This is just bad. The smell is incredible, but it stops there. I hate that too, as I wanted this beer to be good. At least for the gluten-free people.

1.06/5  rDev -57.6%

Smells like really bad beer, but at least it smelled like beer. This is it's strong point.

Tastes like adhesive. Really strong aftertaste of synthetic aircraft grade adhesive spray.

My first Gluten free beer. I sure hope there are other options for the gluten free people. I'll try to find a better option and report back.

No further detail.

1.06/5  rDev -57.6%

I have recently been informed by two physicians that I am 99% celiac positive, but am awaiting an endoscopy / biopsy for 100 % diagnosis. Having been told that I most likely will have to give up my 30 year passion for beer, I went out today and purchased my first ever six pack of imitation beer, aka Bard's Tale Gold. I tried very hard to keep an open mind before trying this concoction. I do not drink beer to get intoxicated. I drink beer because I love the palatable complexities and varieties it affords. I am, and I say this with pride, a beer snob. Trust me, if this was merely about catching a buzz, I understand that in spite of celicac, I can still drink a variety of distilled spirits or wine.

That being said, I am extremely unhappy with Bard's Tale Gold. It is, quite simply, not beer. It has absolutely no mouth feel of a beer. It has an unpleasant, grassy, sugary, fruit-gone-bad taste, no lasting head or lacing when poured, the aroma is not an aroma...more a bad extract scent, and it did not pair well with the appetizer or stir fry I prepared for dinner. This IS NOT BEER. Shame on the brewers, who I do understand are celiac sufferers, for calling it beer. If the brewers truly once LOVED beer, then TRY HARDER. Your product is LIGHT GRASS CIDER. Add some hops, a lot of hops, more sugars to amp up the alcohol content. Give your recipe some color and some carbonation. Experiment with something other than sorghum. Yes, I know it has been used in Africa for a long time, but it is not the only option. How about removing gluten during the process?

I sit here at my computer and ask myself if the celiac diagnosis is worth Bard's Tale beer?
My response: I am drinking a Yard's Tavern Spruce. I'll get "glutened" and enjoy myself before I'll drink more Bard's Beer. Will real beer make me feel bloated and maybe cause me to have diarrhea, constipation, gas, weight gain, weight loss, anemia, B 12 deficiency, vitamin D deficiency, fatigue, muscle aches, migraines, joint pain, and memory loss. Yes, it most likely will. So do my allergy meds. My cholesterol meds. Oh, and aging. Getting old isn't for wussies.

I am NOT taking shots at those of you who are suffering really bad consequences of celiac. Trust me when I say this. I am 46 and was diagnosed with Type I diabetes when I was three years old. I don't remember life without living with an autoimmune disease. I take four injections of insulin daily. I check my blood sugar eight times daily. I count carbs (including beer) and adjust my insulin dosages accordingly. I do most likely have celiac. But I have lived the majority of my life not knowing it. I have also lived my adult life enjoying beer as a pleasurable vice that I enjoy in extreme moderation given my Type I diabetes condition. Bard's is not beer.

1.23/5  rDev -50.8%

I found this single 12oz brown bottle at the Binny's store in Plainfield, IL for $1.89. This is one of those gluten free beers, so it doesn't contain any wheat, barley, rye, or oats. Instead they brew this with sorghum.

The beer poured a mostly clear medium gold color, but only produced a ½-finger of white head that dissipated in about 15 seconds. Lacing was minimal.

The smell was all sorghum, which is not a pleasant smell.

The taste is sweet, and once again all sorghum with maybe some honey underneath it. I didn't like it at all.

Mouthfeel was OK. The body was medium and the carbonation was moderately high.

Still looking for a sorghum beer that I like. Unless you need to drink these for health reasons, I'd pass on this one.

1.34/5  rDev -46.4%
look: 2.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1 | feel: 1.75 | overall: 1.25

355 ml bottle picked up from the singles bin at the LCBO for $2.00 CDN

Appearance - Clear golden color with slight amount of haze. Less than 1/2 finger of head is poured and dissipates almost instantly. Very little carbonation present.

Smell - Not sure what's going on here. Not pleasant. Sour notes, vegetables maybe. Throw some overripe grapes in for good measure. Slightly medicinal. Maybe apple? Funky, processed smells too. Sometimes not smelling like anything is better than smelling like this.

Taste - Slightly soda-ish quality to this. Funky aftertaste. Medicinal with almost the flavor of bands aids- afterwards. Blech.

Mouthfeel - Thin, watery feeling. I can't say watery tasting since its hard to get that flavor out of your mouth. Dry finish.

Overall - And the winner for the beer I'm least likely to ever drink again is.... this one. Feel bad for those than can't process gluten, but please even if these reviews do not deter you, please only buy a single before committing to a purchase. Review ended with a drain-pour.

1.45/5  rDev -42%

Appearance: Gold amber glass shows almost painful clarity. Pours with an active white head that dies back like soda to just a half collar.

Smell: Rubbing alcohol? Dusty vodka? First whiffs are very alcoholic with a vegetal funk going.

Taste: Oh gawd. This is drain food. Very chemical tasting, medicinal/band aid nasty. Tonic water base offers no redeeming qualities.

Mouthfeel: Thin, carbonated water. Dry finish.

Overall: I feel for folks that can't process gluten, but I'd steer them over to a good vodka over this. I'm taking this out back and shooting it.

1.5/5  rDev -40%

I had out of a bottle
A- Light gold in color. No real head and no lacing.
S- Had a sour fruit scent to it.
T- This beer tastes a lot like soap, no lie. And it consistently gets worse tasting with each sip. I actually got about a quarter of the way through and just gave up.

1.5/5  rDev -40%

A) Lots of carbonation-very little foam, no lacing. Reminds me a little of champagne
S) not a lot of aroma-something a little sharp and crisp
T) Well, it would be great if you want to drink a bottle of blackstrap sorghum molasses. No lie there. When I drank this I was thinking it needed to go on cornpone.
M) Thin
D) Drank a third of it and could not finish.

1.52/5  rDev -39.2%

This is a pale amber color, fizzy...in that, you can actually hear it fizzing like soda.(the first red flag!) The head is thin to begin with and then it's just gone.

This has a strange sweet aroma much like pure malt before it goes in the wort, the rest is really hard to detect, but it's not beer related.

Well, i kept an open mind right up until the first sip, but my palate is not as nice. There is a malty flavor, but it's not a good one. It's hard to nail down any specific flavor's, which is a big problem. This folks, is simply not a beer to my palate.

DA....are you kidding?

1.59/5  rDev -36.4%

Thanks to Huhzubendah for gifting this one. Served in a Bruery tulip.

Pours a clear light copper color with a very short head that dissipates quickly, leaving just a bit of a collar with some big bubbles. The nose is pretty off-putting and smells mostly of rice with a bit of staleness. Flavor is full of adjunct character. Yuck. Light body and crisp carbonation. Dry, off-putting finish. Why do I use "off-putting" so much? That sums up this "beer." Why would you create a gluten-free beer and emphasize the gluten-free part? Maybe some hop or yeast character. Yuck. Sick. Boo.

1.73/5  rDev -30.8%

Appearance - Poured from a bottle into a Duvel tulip glass (I feel like I have now tainted my tulip glass). Yellow, small tint of copper.

Smell - sweet, surghom sugar.

Taste - no flavor whatsoever. Aftertaste of sorghum.

Mouthfeel - so-so.

Overall - I would only recommend this beer to my gravest enemies.

1.84/5  rDev -26.4%

12oz bottle poured into a pint glass. Neck stamped PD 12/15/2010.

Appearance - Clear amber body. Two finger loose white head with decent to good stick and decent retention.

Smell - Alcohol. Dark fruit. Almost smells like a Belgian abbey ale. Weird.

Taste - Almost flavorless. Tastes like burning plastic. I do not wish this on another human being.

Mouthfeel - Solvent. Astringent. Caustic.

Overall Drinkability - Probably the single worst beer I've ever had.

1.95/5  rDev -22%

Thanks to Huhzubendah for sharing this with me, I think.

Beer is headless, almost no carbonation, yellow, clear, no lacing, doesn't even really look like beer.

Aroma is vegetal and sweet with this kind of harsh boiled chlorophyll sort of aroma...not inviting.

I don't just want to say the beer was bad, because it was, I have specific objections to it. Things like, the finish was really solventy, almost acetone, the forward was oddly cloyingly sweet, the beer is a train wreck. You can't make a decent beer without good grains, if you can't drink beer, try Saki.

2.02/5  rDev -19.2%

The color is nice, there isn't much head, but the smell isn't giving me a lot of promise. The flavor is...not especially pleasant. I can't even figure out how to describe it. I knew not to expect anything like other light amber ales, but all I am getting is what I assume is the sorghum. No other kind of hops or nuances.

I really wanted to like this beer, but I just don't. I think making an IPA out of this and masking the flavor the malt would be a good direction. I don't think it's badly brewed, I just think I don't dig on sorghum. Unfortunate.

2.02/5  rDev -19.2%

Gifted by Huhzubendah- Thanks Matt!

Pours a light gold color w/ a small off white head. This brew leaves a small amount of lacing on my snifter glass. Pretty clear in appearance- I can see through to the other side very easily. The nose on this makes me wince a little bit- it's like no other beer I've had... I mainly get some rice, sorghum, and sugar sweetness in the nose. It's not good. The taste follows suit, although a touch better. There's a mild hops aftertaste that kind of cleanses the sugar out of your mouth. It's pretty bad, but not the worst thing I've had. The feel is light, w/ good carbonation and a dry finish. Overall, I'm glad I got to try a Sorghum beer, but I think I'll stick to the regular stuff from here on out. Cheers.

2.07/5  rDev -17.2%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

Pours a honey golden amber hue with a fine bright white head billowing nicely with the initial pour, however head retention isn't this beer's strong suit. Aroma smells like a booze ridden brandy or something higher in alcohol, which doesn't make sense at all but that's what I'm getting out of this beer. A slightly sour tobacco note with some fruity highlights to it maybe ripened apple and cherry. Flavor is extraordinarily horrid, tastes like cough syrup drizzled with sweet maple sugar. Not the worst liquid I've ever drank but as far as beer goes this fuckin' sucks, stick to the British specialty beers or good old Redbridge from AB if you wanna cure your Celiac's disease. I could finish it but there's just nothing keeping me going toward the finish line. It would be self abuse otherwise the way this one hits the palate with faded carbonation makes the bad things just remain stagnant on my palate. Overall I think I expressed how I feel about this beer, just don't go there unless it's a health issue with no other options for something remotely beery.

2.15/5  rDev -14%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 2.25

I quit smoking a few years ago and apparently that staves off celiac disease. Harsh irony!

Anyway I have cut any and all kinds of precious wheat creations like, say, bread, but not beer, god no. Thought I'd try an experiment to see what happened with a GF beer.

If this is all I get: fail. I picture that guy in the Matrix, wanting to think that daily mush is a steak. Well, it ain't; no blue pill proffered.

No head or gone to nada before I noticed. Smells beery, in a lager kind of way. Looks like a lager. But tastes like something new, however not, importantly, beer. Almost cider I suppose, but I like cider. Not cider either. Sorghum "beer" is its own thing.

There is an aftertaste, which I guess is the sorghum. Or rather, It's like an after-sweetness, and also this slippery after-mouthfeel--like you went to the wrong sushi bar and maybe it's time to get worried.

If my stomach gets so fouled and this is all I can handle? Switching to wine and booze. Thanks for trying though Bard's, hopefully you perfect it. Try some more! Run a kickstarter, I'll kick in.

2.25/5  rDev -10%

pours a clear amber with a thin white head, and some lacing.

smell is faint, malt, some spice, caramel, and roasted nuts.

taste of malt, caramel, slightly metallic, and a funky aftertaste.

strange brew but better than dragons gold from what i remember.

2.28/5  rDev -8.8%

I actually drank this at work. So I poured it into a solo cup. it was only about an hour ago so im just going from memory.

A-Sort of an orange/red. basically no head. again this was in a red solo cup so i couldnt see it well.

S-a little different. never smelled a beer like this. but smelled like something that had potential.

T-wow...i honestly cant describe this. i guess it was the sorghum. not really sure. not flavors I am used to tasting here. it really just didnt taste much like beer. very powerful finish. not sure what it was, i guess hops. but didnt really taste hoppy.

MF-not much that i remember. not a very good aftertaste though.

O-I wont be trying this again. If you cant drink regular beer because of gluten problems then stick with another type of alcohol. Im not sure how other gluten free beers are but this was wasn't something I can see many people enjoying. The look and smell was the best part.

2.4/5  rDev -4%

Poured into my pint glass the beer is amber brown with about a finger of white head. No retention no lace.

The aroma is sweet and grassy. Like caramel coated grass clippings. I can't really pin point what I'm getting from this beer. Rather fruity though.

The flavor has a sharp gritty bitter bite. It's like sour malt with burnt caramel corn. Not something I really look for in my beers taste.

Medium to light body. Moderate carbonation.

Overall this is a unique beer for sure. I'm so glad I don't have food alergies that would require me to drink this.

2.43/5  rDev -2.8%

Clear amber colored beer with a small white colored head.

Smells sweet and grainy with a strange scent that must be the sorghum. Smell of mixed tobacco and tea. Smells strange.

Starts out sweet and grainy with a grain husk flavor and a fair amount of bitterness. Slight caramel flavor and some astringency. This tastes a little weird.

Mouthfeel is OK.

Drinkability isn't so great. For sorghum beer it isn't bad. For beer though this doesn't raise to the level of Budweiser.

2.5/5  rDev 0%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

This beer is a palatable below average beer. I wouldn't chuck it I wouldn't buy it but if you but it in my hands I would raise it to my lips on instinct

A) to dark for an american style lager this is thanks to the sorghum base that makes up this drink

S) I'm holding to my nose as I type this and all I can say is... theres not a drop of art in this glass

T) bland

M) thin

O) this beer is not bad at all... just... effectively boring

2.5/5  rDev 0%

Bottle from Harvest Market to fill the mix a six I was putting together.
Fairly clear light golden head with a tightly bubbled small white head that dissipates rather quickly. Aromas of sour apple and light sugar. Little to no hop aroma. The flavor is sweet with a bit of a tart fruit thing going on with bit of pomme fruit and light sugar. Light, crisp, bubbly. Not really what I would call beer, but it didn't really suck either.

2.5/5  rDev 0%

Poured from 12 oz bottle into a pint glass.

Appearance: light gold to straw color. A finger of fizzy head which dissipated very quickly.

Smell: mild; sweet and grainy. There's an almost chalky aroma here; definitely not your traditional barley beer.

Taste: bizarrely enough, the taste I get is one of plastic. There are some hops and an interesting grain taste in there, but mostly I get a stale-water-stored-in-a-plastic-tub taste.

Mouthfeel: a light body with a medium-to-heavy level of carbonation.

Drinkability: between the flavor, smell and high carbonation, this is a hard one to force down.

I love the idea of this beer: a good beer in this vein could be great for someone with celiac disease or another barley or wheat allergy. This beer, however, is not it. If my dietary restrictions limited me to this or no beer, I'll have a glass of water or a diet coke.

Bard's Gold from Bard's Tale Beer Company