Bard's Gold - Bard's Tale Beer Company, LLC

poor

Bard's Tale Beer Company, LLC visit their website
New York, United States

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  4.60% ABV

(Beer added by: BEERchitect on 01-28-2009)

sendbeer, Oct 22, 2012

troyvar, May 30, 2012

mendvicdog, May 23, 2012

cbcrunch, Mar 28, 2012
1.4/5  rDev -40.9%

Appearance: Gold amber glass shows almost painful clarity. Pours with an active white head that dies back like soda to just a half collar.

Smell: Rubbing alcohol? Dusty vodka? First whiffs are very alcoholic with a vegetal funk going.

Taste: Oh gawd. This is drain food. Very chemical tasting, medicinal/band aid nasty. Tonic water base offers no redeeming qualities.

Mouthfeel: Thin, carbonated water. Dry finish.

Overall: I feel for folks that can't process gluten, but I'd steer them over to a good vodka over this. I'm taking this out back and shooting it.

HardTarget, Feb 12, 2012

FRANKIEEEE, Feb 11, 2012
2.55/5  rDev +7.6%

Came out of the bottle a cloudy orange with no head at all.

This beer had a very faint sweet smell which must be the sorghum.

Doesn't taste terrible has a sweet bitter taste.

Felt pretty thin in the mouth will a little carbonation.

Overall as a gluten free beer this isn't too bad, but compared to it's gluten enriched rivals it fails to inspire.

Dave1999, Feb 05, 2012
2.5/5  rDev +5.5%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

This beer is a palatable below average beer. I wouldn't chuck it I wouldn't buy it but if you but it in my hands I would raise it to my lips on instinct

A) to dark for an american style lager this is thanks to the sorghum base that makes up this drink

S) I'm holding to my nose as I type this and all I can say is... theres not a drop of art in this glass

T) bland

M) thin

O) this beer is not bad at all... just... effectively boring

runjack, Jan 01, 2012

LDemarais, Dec 30, 2011
2.03/5  rDev -14.3%

Gifted by Huhzubendah- Thanks Matt!

Pours a light gold color w/ a small off white head. This brew leaves a small amount of lacing on my snifter glass. Pretty clear in appearance- I can see through to the other side very easily. The nose on this makes me wince a little bit- it's like no other beer I've had... I mainly get some rice, sorghum, and sugar sweetness in the nose. It's not good. The taste follows suit, although a touch better. There's a mild hops aftertaste that kind of cleanses the sugar out of your mouth. It's pretty bad, but not the worst thing I've had. The feel is light, w/ good carbonation and a dry finish. Overall, I'm glad I got to try a Sorghum beer, but I think I'll stick to the regular stuff from here on out. Cheers.

jayhawk73, Nov 27, 2011
1.53/5  rDev -35.4%

Thanks to Huhzubendah for gifting this one. Served in a Bruery tulip.

Pours a clear light copper color with a very short head that dissipates quickly, leaving just a bit of a collar with some big bubbles. The nose is pretty off-putting and smells mostly of rice with a bit of staleness. Flavor is full of adjunct character. Yuck. Light body and crisp carbonation. Dry, off-putting finish. Why do I use "off-putting" so much? That sums up this "beer." Why would you create a gluten-free beer and emphasize the gluten-free part? Maybe some hop or yeast character. Yuck. Sick. Boo.

Thorpe429, Nov 16, 2011

BeerMe42, Nov 15, 2011
1.7/5  rDev -28.3%

12oz bottle poured into a pint glass. Neck stamped PD 12/15/2010.

Appearance - Clear amber body. Two finger loose white head with decent to good stick and decent retention.

Smell - Alcohol. Dark fruit. Almost smells like a Belgian abbey ale. Weird.

Taste - Almost flavorless. Tastes like burning plastic. I do not wish this on another human being.

Mouthfeel - Solvent. Astringent. Caustic.

Overall Drinkability - Probably the single worst beer I've ever had.

ZenAgnostic, Nov 06, 2011
3.1/5  rDev +30.8%

Pours a dark gold with loose, bubbly, dish soap-like head that quickly disappears. The nose is sweet, sugary, and grainy. The taste is sweet, fruity with hints of apple, and has notes of caramel. The mouthfeel is light to medium bodied, lightly carbonated, and smooth.

For a beer made from sorghum it's not bad, a little sweet at times, but not bad. This isn't something that I would go out of my way to get, but it wasn't bad to try once.

tdm168, Nov 06, 2011
1.9/5  rDev -19.8%

Thanks to Huhzubendah for sharing this with me, I think.

Beer is headless, almost no carbonation, yellow, clear, no lacing, doesn't even really look like beer.

Aroma is vegetal and sweet with this kind of harsh boiled chlorophyll sort of aroma...not inviting.

I don't just want to say the beer was bad, because it was, I have specific objections to it. Things like, the finish was really solventy, almost acetone, the forward was oddly cloyingly sweet, the beer is a train wreck. You can't make a decent beer without good grains, if you can't drink beer, try Saki.

drabmuh, Oct 31, 2011
2.55/5  rDev +7.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

The beer is slightly hazy and appears a light orange color. The aroma offers some sweet, malty fruit, with a hint of candied oranges. Light toffee in the flavor, with some biscuit malt in the taste as well. Sweet fruit is present throughout. Light to medium in body, with moderately low carbonation. A decent choice for those who must have gluten free beer, though not my cup of tea.

Huhzubendah, Oct 29, 2011
1.23/5  rDev -48.1%

I found this single 12oz brown bottle at the Binny's store in Plainfield, IL for $1.89. This is one of those gluten free beers, so it doesn't contain any wheat, barley, rye, or oats. Instead they brew this with sorghum.

The beer poured a mostly clear medium gold color, but only produced a ½-finger of white head that dissipated in about 15 seconds. Lacing was minimal.

The smell was all sorghum, which is not a pleasant smell.

The taste is sweet, and once again all sorghum with maybe some honey underneath it. I didn't like it at all.

Mouthfeel was OK. The body was medium and the carbonation was moderately high.

Still looking for a sorghum beer that I like. Unless you need to drink these for health reasons, I'd pass on this one.

matjack85, Oct 02, 2011
3.9/5  rDev +64.6%

Got this in the bargain bin at the grocery store. It's a solidly good beer, and has unique flavor, but I wouldn't call it "great."

Can't get a good look at it in the bottle. Don't know what it looks like.

Bananas in the nose but not in the taste, apples and a little hops. Reminds me of wet concrete.

Taste is... pretty good overall. I get medium sweetness with strong toffy and less prominent but still strong coffee flavors and crab apples. It tastes almost like Roman nougat if they dipped it in coffee instead of chocolate. Very bitter aftertaste. Not much hops.

Feels light, but not as light as a lager and lightly carbonated. When I swish it around in my mouth it doesn't emulsify the way other beers do, it just kind of increases in volume.

I would drink this again, but not unless it was on sale. There's better stuff for cheaper.

AzuriteT3, Oct 01, 2011
2.17/5  rDev -8.4%

I actually drank this at work. So I poured it into a solo cup. it was only about an hour ago so im just going from memory.

A-Sort of an orange/red. basically no head. again this was in a red solo cup so i couldnt see it well.

S-a little different. never smelled a beer like this. but smelled like something that had potential.

T-wow...i honestly cant describe this. i guess it was the sorghum. not really sure. not flavors I am used to tasting here. it really just didnt taste much like beer. very powerful finish. not sure what it was, i guess hops. but didnt really taste hoppy.

MF-not much that i remember. not a very good aftertaste though.

O-I wont be trying this again. If you cant drink regular beer because of gluten problems then stick with another type of alcohol. Im not sure how other gluten free beers are but this was wasn't something I can see many people enjoying. The look and smell was the best part.

Swim424, Oct 01, 2011
3.8/5  rDev +60.3%

A: Pours a clear light amber with little head. A slight foam remains at the edges, but leaves no lacing as the beer is drunk.

S: Earthy, but in a different way from earthy hops - the smell of sorghum, maybe? Caramel is also definitely present, along with a bit of fruitiness - maybe white grapes or green apples? The earthiness has a slight herbal quality to it, although it makes me think more of vegetables than herbs. I'm not entirely sure what I think of it, but it's certainly different, and not in a particularly bad way. As it warms, the fruitiness gets more pronounced, as does the caramel, but the earthiness continues to hold its own.

T: Fruity caramel sweetness, that strange earthiness again, and a balancing mild sourness. Not particularly bitter while drinking it, but leaves a mild bitter aftertaste, that's more vegetable-like (not in a bad way) than hoppy, although hops are (faintly) present as well. It's hard to say what I think of it, as my impression changes from swig to swig, and I have little to compare it to.

M: Fairly light, though not to the point of wateriness, and made a little heavier by the modest carbonation. Neither a sipper nor a chugger, but something to drink by the mouthfull.

O: Probably not a beer I'll want to drink regularly, but certainly worth having again. I haven't had any other sorghum-based beers to compare it to, but it's certainly different from any other beers that I have had.

cjh57, Aug 27, 2011