Bard's Gold - Bard's Tale Beer Company

poor

Bard's Tale Beer Company visit their website
Minnesota, United States

American Adjunct Lager |  4.60% ABV

(Beer added by: BEERchitect on 01-28-2009)
2.5/5  rDev +5.5%

1.4/5  rDev -40.9%

Appearance: Gold amber glass shows almost painful clarity. Pours with an active white head that dies back like soda to just a half collar.

Smell: Rubbing alcohol? Dusty vodka? First whiffs are very alcoholic with a vegetal funk going.

Taste: Oh gawd. This is drain food. Very chemical tasting, medicinal/band aid nasty. Tonic water base offers no redeeming qualities.

Mouthfeel: Thin, carbonated water. Dry finish.

Overall: I feel for folks that can't process gluten, but I'd steer them over to a good vodka over this. I'm taking this out back and shooting it.

1.5/5  rDev -36.7%

2.55/5  rDev +7.6%

Came out of the bottle a cloudy orange with no head at all.

This beer had a very faint sweet smell which must be the sorghum.

Doesn't taste terrible has a sweet bitter taste.

Felt pretty thin in the mouth will a little carbonation.

Overall as a gluten free beer this isn't too bad, but compared to it's gluten enriched rivals it fails to inspire.

2.5/5  rDev +5.5%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

This beer is a palatable below average beer. I wouldn't chuck it I wouldn't buy it but if you but it in my hands I would raise it to my lips on instinct

A) to dark for an american style lager this is thanks to the sorghum base that makes up this drink

S) I'm holding to my nose as I type this and all I can say is... theres not a drop of art in this glass

T) bland

M) thin

O) this beer is not bad at all... just... effectively boring

2.03/5  rDev -14.3%

Gifted by Huhzubendah- Thanks Matt!

Pours a light gold color w/ a small off white head. This brew leaves a small amount of lacing on my snifter glass. Pretty clear in appearance- I can see through to the other side very easily. The nose on this makes me wince a little bit- it's like no other beer I've had... I mainly get some rice, sorghum, and sugar sweetness in the nose. It's not good. The taste follows suit, although a touch better. There's a mild hops aftertaste that kind of cleanses the sugar out of your mouth. It's pretty bad, but not the worst thing I've had. The feel is light, w/ good carbonation and a dry finish. Overall, I'm glad I got to try a Sorghum beer, but I think I'll stick to the regular stuff from here on out. Cheers.

1.53/5  rDev -35.4%

Thanks to Huhzubendah for gifting this one. Served in a Bruery tulip.

Pours a clear light copper color with a very short head that dissipates quickly, leaving just a bit of a collar with some big bubbles. The nose is pretty off-putting and smells mostly of rice with a bit of staleness. Flavor is full of adjunct character. Yuck. Light body and crisp carbonation. Dry, off-putting finish. Why do I use "off-putting" so much? That sums up this "beer." Why would you create a gluten-free beer and emphasize the gluten-free part? Maybe some hop or yeast character. Yuck. Sick. Boo.

1.7/5  rDev -28.3%

12oz bottle poured into a pint glass. Neck stamped PD 12/15/2010.

Appearance - Clear amber body. Two finger loose white head with decent to good stick and decent retention.

Smell - Alcohol. Dark fruit. Almost smells like a Belgian abbey ale. Weird.

Taste - Almost flavorless. Tastes like burning plastic. I do not wish this on another human being.

Mouthfeel - Solvent. Astringent. Caustic.

Overall Drinkability - Probably the single worst beer I've ever had.

3.1/5  rDev +30.8%

Pours a dark gold with loose, bubbly, dish soap-like head that quickly disappears. The nose is sweet, sugary, and grainy. The taste is sweet, fruity with hints of apple, and has notes of caramel. The mouthfeel is light to medium bodied, lightly carbonated, and smooth.

For a beer made from sorghum it's not bad, a little sweet at times, but not bad. This isn't something that I would go out of my way to get, but it wasn't bad to try once.

1.9/5  rDev -19.8%

Thanks to Huhzubendah for sharing this with me, I think.

Beer is headless, almost no carbonation, yellow, clear, no lacing, doesn't even really look like beer.

Aroma is vegetal and sweet with this kind of harsh boiled chlorophyll sort of aroma...not inviting.

I don't just want to say the beer was bad, because it was, I have specific objections to it. Things like, the finish was really solventy, almost acetone, the forward was oddly cloyingly sweet, the beer is a train wreck. You can't make a decent beer without good grains, if you can't drink beer, try Saki.

2.55/5  rDev +7.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

The beer is slightly hazy and appears a light orange color. The aroma offers some sweet, malty fruit, with a hint of candied oranges. Light toffee in the flavor, with some biscuit malt in the taste as well. Sweet fruit is present throughout. Light to medium in body, with moderately low carbonation. A decent choice for those who must have gluten free beer, though not my cup of tea.

1.23/5  rDev -48.1%

I found this single 12oz brown bottle at the Binny's store in Plainfield, IL for $1.89. This is one of those gluten free beers, so it doesn't contain any wheat, barley, rye, or oats. Instead they brew this with sorghum.

The beer poured a mostly clear medium gold color, but only produced a ½-finger of white head that dissipated in about 15 seconds. Lacing was minimal.

The smell was all sorghum, which is not a pleasant smell.

The taste is sweet, and once again all sorghum with maybe some honey underneath it. I didn't like it at all.

Mouthfeel was OK. The body was medium and the carbonation was moderately high.

Still looking for a sorghum beer that I like. Unless you need to drink these for health reasons, I'd pass on this one.

3.9/5  rDev +64.6%

Got this in the bargain bin at the grocery store. It's a solidly good beer, and has unique flavor, but I wouldn't call it "great."

Can't get a good look at it in the bottle. Don't know what it looks like.

Bananas in the nose but not in the taste, apples and a little hops. Reminds me of wet concrete.

Taste is... pretty good overall. I get medium sweetness with strong toffy and less prominent but still strong coffee flavors and crab apples. It tastes almost like Roman nougat if they dipped it in coffee instead of chocolate. Very bitter aftertaste. Not much hops.

Feels light, but not as light as a lager and lightly carbonated. When I swish it around in my mouth it doesn't emulsify the way other beers do, it just kind of increases in volume.

I would drink this again, but not unless it was on sale. There's better stuff for cheaper.

2.17/5  rDev -8.4%

I actually drank this at work. So I poured it into a solo cup. it was only about an hour ago so im just going from memory.

A-Sort of an orange/red. basically no head. again this was in a red solo cup so i couldnt see it well.

S-a little different. never smelled a beer like this. but smelled like something that had potential.

T-wow...i honestly cant describe this. i guess it was the sorghum. not really sure. not flavors I am used to tasting here. it really just didnt taste much like beer. very powerful finish. not sure what it was, i guess hops. but didnt really taste hoppy.

MF-not much that i remember. not a very good aftertaste though.

O-I wont be trying this again. If you cant drink regular beer because of gluten problems then stick with another type of alcohol. Im not sure how other gluten free beers are but this was wasn't something I can see many people enjoying. The look and smell was the best part.

3.8/5  rDev +60.3%

A: Pours a clear light amber with little head. A slight foam remains at the edges, but leaves no lacing as the beer is drunk.

S: Earthy, but in a different way from earthy hops - the smell of sorghum, maybe? Caramel is also definitely present, along with a bit of fruitiness - maybe white grapes or green apples? The earthiness has a slight herbal quality to it, although it makes me think more of vegetables than herbs. I'm not entirely sure what I think of it, but it's certainly different, and not in a particularly bad way. As it warms, the fruitiness gets more pronounced, as does the caramel, but the earthiness continues to hold its own.

T: Fruity caramel sweetness, that strange earthiness again, and a balancing mild sourness. Not particularly bitter while drinking it, but leaves a mild bitter aftertaste, that's more vegetable-like (not in a bad way) than hoppy, although hops are (faintly) present as well. It's hard to say what I think of it, as my impression changes from swig to swig, and I have little to compare it to.

M: Fairly light, though not to the point of wateriness, and made a little heavier by the modest carbonation. Neither a sipper nor a chugger, but something to drink by the mouthfull.

O: Probably not a beer I'll want to drink regularly, but certainly worth having again. I haven't had any other sorghum-based beers to compare it to, but it's certainly different from any other beers that I have had.

1.98/5  rDev -16.5%

The color is nice, there isn't much head, but the smell isn't giving me a lot of promise. The flavor is...not especially pleasant. I can't even figure out how to describe it. I knew not to expect anything like other light amber ales, but all I am getting is what I assume is the sorghum. No other kind of hops or nuances.

I really wanted to like this beer, but I just don't. I think making an IPA out of this and masking the flavor the malt would be a good direction. I don't think it's badly brewed, I just think I don't dig on sorghum. Unfortunate.

1.98/5  rDev -16.5%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

Pours a honey golden amber hue with a fine bright white head billowing nicely with the initial pour, however head retention isn't this beer's strong suit. Aroma smells like a booze ridden brandy or something higher in alcohol, which doesn't make sense at all but that's what I'm getting out of this beer. A slightly sour tobacco note with some fruity highlights to it maybe ripened apple and cherry. Flavor is extraordinarily horrid, tastes like cough syrup drizzled with sweet maple sugar. Not the worst liquid I've ever drank but as far as beer goes this fuckin' sucks, stick to the British specialty beers or good old Redbridge from AB if you wanna cure your Celiac's disease. I could finish it but there's just nothing keeping me going toward the finish line. It would be self abuse otherwise the way this one hits the palate with faded carbonation makes the bad things just remain stagnant on my palate. Overall I think I expressed how I feel about this beer, just don't go there unless it's a health issue with no other options for something remotely beery.

There is a lot of talk about gluten-free products. From the food we eat to the beer we drink, gluten-free is a popular topic of discussion. The beer we are drinking today would fit nicely in that conversation. The beer is gluten-free. Apparently there are 10,000 different types of sorghum out there… and no one knows which one is best to brew with. But let’s see what this little guy smells and tastes like.

What is that nose? I like it… a lot. I want to say fruit, but I am not sure. It smells wet too, and I fear, based on how this poured into the glass, is going to be a little carbonated as well.

But it’s not. It’s not carbonated at all. It actually has very little mouthfeel whatsoever. It goes in, goes down, and you sit there thinking… what’s next? Let’s try it again just for good measure. Yeah, same thing. The best way I can describe this is drinking a can of soda that has been left open in the fridge for, oh, a week.

I’m sorry to all of those who live a gluten-free life, but I have to tell you… my beer tastes better. This is just bad. The smell is incredible, but it stops there. I hate that too, as I wanted this beer to be good. At least for the gluten-free people.

2.55/5  rDev +7.6%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.5

12oz bottle, time to try this most venerable of gluten-free beers available in Alberta.

This beer pours a clear, medium tinted golden amber colour, with a half finger of loud bubbly, and mostly fizzy dirty white head, which disappears in a near instant, leaving neither lace nor impression on this reporter.

It smells of semi-sweet, vegetal malt, with an alien earthiness that must be the sorghum, there, English, white grape juice, stale applesauce, and a wet cardboard essence right where one might be expecting something, oh, I dunno, hoppy? The taste is more or less just an extension in the same odd graininess - quite sweet, still, and 'malty', and well, like brown sugar, overripe mixed grapes, free-radical butter, mild plastic band-aid covers, and bitter tea leaves, is the best I can come up with.

The carbonation is average, and a tad prickly, even, at times, the body a somewhat agreeable medium weight, and as smooth as the tugging cloyingness will allow. It finishes with a lingering thin molasses/reduced brown sugar sweetness, buffered somewhat by that unfamiliar earthy, strangely astringent character from the earlier acts.

While displaying more beer-adjacent characteristics than practically all the other barley and wheat-free beers I've thus far subjected my gluten-loving and -tolerant self to, I can't get over the weird edge that the sole use of sorghum (I assume) imparts here, in its starring role. A good try, and probably acceptable with a strong dose of cognitive dissonance, but not for me, not for me.

2.6/5  rDev +9.7%

Poured from a 12 oz bottle into my Telegraph Brewing shaker glass. A minimal amount of head, less than 1/2 a finger which dies almost immediately. No lacing. A pretty decent generic amber color. Lot's of bubbles rising to the top, fizzy yellow beer anyone? Getting a crisp sort a sweet malt on the nose. For lack of a better description, smells like a mellow cheap blended Scotch. Some funky grain flavors going on. Very grainy, cereal, and once again, tastes like watery bad fizzy Scotch. Mouthfeel isn't bad. A nice crispness, kind of like sparkling wine. Finishes very dry. This review does NOT sound good, but for a gluten free beer, it sure beats the hell out of Redbridge and the like. Glad I'm not allergic to barley! Really hard to choke down a whole bottle. Took almost an hour.

2.42/5  rDev +2.1%

Clear amber colored beer with a small white colored head.

Smells sweet and grainy with a strange scent that must be the sorghum. Smell of mixed tobacco and tea. Smells strange.

Starts out sweet and grainy with a grain husk flavor and a fair amount of bitterness. Slight caramel flavor and some astringency. This tastes a little weird.

Mouthfeel is OK.

Drinkability isn't so great. For sorghum beer it isn't bad. For beer though this doesn't raise to the level of Budweiser.

3.9/5  rDev +64.6%

While this beer won't really stand up against some of the wheat/barley/rye containing beers, this is an excellent choice for celiacs and others who can't have gluten.

The pour on this beer is pretty...wait for it...poor. The head falls apart pretty quickly, but is more substantial than other GF beers I've tried.

The smell is a little sugary. Ok, it's a lot sugary. I would imagine this would be the smell you might encounter upon opening a fresh bag of brown sugar.

The predominant taste is also of molasses or brown sugar, which I don't completely disagree with, as one of my favorite brews before finding out I was a celiac was Ayinger's Celebrator Doppelbock; also a very sweet beer with heavy roasted sugar overtones.

Mouthfeel is very bubbly and light. Almost more like a Sprite than a beer.

Even though this beer may not be enjoyed by the typical beer snob (ah, memories of my pretentious pre-celiac self), I think the average gluten intolerant folks out there will find this to be a refreshing and very drinkable alternative to the other sorghum beers they've tried.

3.08/5  rDev +30%

Poured from a 12 ounce bottle into a pilsner glass.

A: Dull copper, slightly hazy, lots of bubbles, long-lasting head. Lots of lacing.

S: Smells like molasses and hops (or maybe another herb). Honestly, I like it a lot. There is a strange underscent of something slightly unpleasant, but the smell of molasses and beer overpowers it and distracts me.

T: Uh. Hmm...Sweet sorghum malt washes over the tongue carrying the molasses flavour, but then comes a watery grain taste, slightly bitter and not very nice. This is ameliorated the more I drink, but at best it tastes like beer. However, I consider this an accomplishment for a beer eschewing barley, wheat, rye, and oats. Aftertaste is slightly bitter before fading back into sweetness. It's not great, but it's not terrible. And apparently it's gluten-free?

M: It's pretty good. Thin and sweet; I enjoy the molasses quite a bit. No complaints here.

D: I enjoyed trying this one, but I probably wouldn't get it again. The sorghum is interesting and even fun, but is no replacement for grain.

Bard's Gold from Bard's Tale Beer Company