Bard's Gold - Bard's Tale Beer Company

poor

Bard's Tale Beer Company visit their website
Minnesota, United States

American Adjunct Lager |  4.60% ABV

(Beer added by: BEERchitect on 01-28-2009)
3.23/5  rDev +36.3%

I got this as a sample from a distributor.

Pours a clear amber-gold colour with plenty of carbonation but not much head. The aroma is, well, it's not unpleasant, it definitely smells like beer. Quite a lot of grain, not much hops. The taste follows on from that, but with an odd, sort of metallic undertone. It has a pleasantly bitter finish. A little bit over-carbonated for my liking and not a lot of weight in the body.

If, heaven forbid, I had to drink gluten-free beer I wouldn't turn my nose up at it, but I sure would miss everything else.

2.35/5  rDev -0.8%

Poured into my pint glass the beer is amber brown with about a finger of white head. No retention no lace.

The aroma is sweet and grassy. Like caramel coated grass clippings. I can't really pin point what I'm getting from this beer. Rather fruity though.

The flavor has a sharp gritty bitter bite. It's like sour malt with burnt caramel corn. Not something I really look for in my beers taste.

Medium to light body. Moderate carbonation.

Overall this is a unique beer for sure. I'm so glad I don't have food alergies that would require me to drink this.

2.65/5  rDev +11.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2

12 oz bottle poured into a Sierra Nevada imperial pint. Ingredients, nutrition facts, Packaged Date 11/30/2009 (Happy Birthday Beerwolf77 and I) listed on bottle.

A - Perfectly clear golden yellow with adequate carbonation rising from the nucleation point. It's also got a fair cream head with good retention and wisps of lace.

S - It's got a rather grainy aroma. The Sorghum is pretty distinguishable in this beer. Hints of resiny plastic and a foreign fruit-like scent. No real hop nose and it certainly doesn't smell like "beer" but it also doesn't smell bad.

T - Sorghum has been used much better than this to make Gluten-free beer. This one has a sharp, dry grain flavor that almost has a plastic taste. Again, no hops.

M - Dry, dry, dry! Did I mention Bard's Gold is dry? Oy. The finish lingers which doesn't work well when it tastes like plastic. Medium-bodied.

D - Drain-pour. Sorry Bard's, as someone who enjoys of all things incorporating Gluten, I wont be partaking in this beer ever again. If you have Celiac's I'm very sorry for you. Have a Lakefront New Grist instead. A fantastic example of Gluten-free beer. This, however, is not very good.

2.95/5  rDev +24.5%

Grabbed one in a build a sixer section.

A -Poured a bubbly, translucent, orange/bronze color with a small, khaki-colored head. It left no lacing at all.

S - It smelled oddly of corn and fruitiness. It's really hard to describe but it smells unlike most beers.

T - Very sweet upon first sip with a pear/apple flavors. As it warmed the sweetness mellowed and a corn and grain taste emerged.

M - It was crisp and sharp with a smooth finish. A light bodied ale.

D - The first couple sips had me thinking drain pour but it improved significantly. This is my 4th or 5th Gluten-Free beer and it has to be the best I've had.

2.9/5  rDev +22.4%

I've got a video review if anyone wants to see what it looks like on my site at http://mikesbrewreview.com/review-of-bards-gold

Appearance:

Copper colored and freakishly clear and consistent in color. Fast carbonation with some really small and some larger bubbles. The head didn't really rise nor stick around.

Mouthfeel:

At first it seems thicker than it is but I'd give this a light feeling. The carbonation is nice on the tongue and throat.
Smell:

Very subtle caramel and hop floral aroma.

Taste:

Funny. Not in a bad way, just not the way you are expecting. The hops don't really come out so your left with this sweet weird bitter taste that I could only imagine a thick dust ball would taste like. Kind of musty.

Drinkability:

If I was on a gluten free diet I'd probably drink it, but I don't think I'd drink many of these.

Overall

I think its worth a try to give something else a shot, but I would definitely split the 6 pack with someone that is as curious as you are because it isn't what you are probably looking for in "beer". I do think this could make a good conversational piece for beer parties or tastings if you are into that sort of thing, but like I said, I'll probably never drink Bard's Gold Sorghum Beer again. Of course, unless something happens to me glutenins!

2.83/5  rDev +19.4%

Appearance: An effervescent coppery-amber body capped by about a finger of whitish head that leaves excellent lacing.

Aroma: Sweet, biscuity, and caramel-like malt accompanied by some metallic tones.

Flavor: Biscuity, lightly grainy, and somewhat buttery malt accompanied by some bare hops and a metallic twang. As for balance, malt takes the spotlight. Grains and coppery metal in the finish.

Mouthfeel: Medium bodied and crisp with medium-high carbonation. Doesn't dry out in the finish.

Drinkability: Easily drinkable, but just a little too bland to really hold my interest.

Verdict: An interesting diversion, though something I'd have a hard time recommending to anyone not suffering from gluten intolerance. For those that do need to avoid gluten, this is certainly something to try out.

2.95/5  rDev +24.5%

A- Very clear body with an amber color and a small, filmy head

S- The smell is mostly musky and sweet. Caramel and apricot come to mind

T- The flavor is hardly detectable but is dominantly sweet with a mix of fruit flavors and hard candy

M- A bit fizzy and medium bodied

D- Fine enough to drink as beer but I certainly won't be buying another 6-pack for $9.36

2.75/5  rDev +16%

Apparently the first "gluten free" beer in America... I could care less about that but I do enjoy trying new beers. Pours a light golden color, little wisp of head. Aroma is pear/apple like. Taste is unique, thats for sure. Taste is medium bodied, quite an odd taste to it I can't put my finger on.. sort of a mixed pear and subdued hop taste. Finish is very unique and a bit dry. If you're a health nut and don't like gluten I guess it'd be a good beer but for the average beer drinker I'd pass on this one.. much better tasting beers out there (I guess good beer needs gluten?)

2.68/5  rDev +13.1%

The head slightly off-white and crests at close to a finger, basic looking with little retention, no lacing. Metallic orange to pumpkin in color, crystal clear and completely transparent. The nose shows molasses, brown sugar and then apple, pear fruit, lemon juice and honey glazed bread, the hops versus malts dichotomy seems besides the point here. Medium-bodied, decent degree of carbonation, the first thing you think is that it tastes like a hard cider with a more grainy texture. Pear, green apple, white grape fruit, starts to turn bitter once it hits the back of your throat. Vaguest of grain, oats aspect, hard to casually understand why this would be grouped as a beer. That said, not disgusting or anything. (Gluten Free)

3.2/5  rDev +35%

This beer was better than most light sorghum beers that i have had in the past. It almost reminded me of sparkling sake except that it had a very slight/mild hop flavor at the end. It was light, crisp, and easy to drink. I would recommend this to anyone that wanted a gluten free beer that was easy to drink. I also plan to compare it to a sparkling sake. Good sorghum beer.

2.7/5  rDev +13.9%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Pours an apple cider colour, with a head to go with (bright active bubbles which quickly faded)

Smell is of light caramel sweetness and citric hops.

Taste is fruity up front (from the yeast?), some apple, a little bit of bitterness and then fades into a somewhat grainy aftertaste.

M-Medium-high carbonation, perhaps a bit too much. Keeps it from lingering too long on the tongue though, which I think I would find unpleasant.

D-Not something I would enjoy for flavour's sake.

1.45/5  rDev -38.8%

A) Lots of carbonation-very little foam, no lacing. Reminds me a little of champagne
S) not a lot of aroma-something a little sharp and crisp
T) Well, it would be great if you want to drink a bottle of blackstrap sorghum molasses. No lie there. When I drank this I was thinking it needed to go on cornpone.
M) Thin
D) Drank a third of it and could not finish.

1.53/5  rDev -35.4%

This is a pale amber color, fizzy...in that, you can actually hear it fizzing like soda.(the first red flag!) The head is thin to begin with and then it's just gone.

This has a strange sweet aroma much like pure malt before it goes in the wort, the rest is really hard to detect, but it's not beer related.

Well, i kept an open mind right up until the first sip, but my palate is not as nice. There is a malty flavor, but it's not a good one. It's hard to nail down any specific flavor's, which is a big problem. This folks, is simply not a beer to my palate.

DA....are you kidding?

1.48/5  rDev -37.6%

I had out of a bottle
A- Light gold in color. No real head and no lacing.
S- Had a sour fruit scent to it.
T- This beer tastes a lot like soap, no lie. And it consistently gets worse tasting with each sip. I actually got about a quarter of the way through and just gave up.

3.08/5  rDev +30%

The foam was light wheat/white in color and dissapated quickly. The color was a golden amber with mahogany and light honey highlights. Smell had a dominate aroma of fruity/sarghum, at least I believe thats what it was with hints of malt. Taste was the same as the smell. Mouthfeel - medium-bodied. Drinkability - Its ok.

2.63/5  rDev +11%

Pours a golden color with what appears to be ample carbonation. There's no head on this and it looks oddly like ginger ale.

Aroma is a bit spicy/sweet with sorghum as the main ingredient and it's well represented in the nose. Not much else.

Taste is sweet/sour with a ginger ale-like feel to it. Not very pleasant.

Mouthfeel is strange and unpleasant but just a tad bit tolerable. I'm not used to the style.

Not really something I'd drink ever again. I understand the reason for its' existence but I think Redbridge is more tolerable for this style.

2.45/5  rDev +3.4%

Poured from 12 oz bottle into a pint glass.

Appearance: light gold to straw color. A finger of fizzy head which dissipated very quickly.

Smell: mild; sweet and grainy. There's an almost chalky aroma here; definitely not your traditional barley beer.

Taste: bizarrely enough, the taste I get is one of plastic. There are some hops and an interesting grain taste in there, but mostly I get a stale-water-stored-in-a-plastic-tub taste.

Mouthfeel: a light body with a medium-to-heavy level of carbonation.

Drinkability: between the flavor, smell and high carbonation, this is a hard one to force down.

I love the idea of this beer: a good beer in this vein could be great for someone with celiac disease or another barley or wheat allergy. This beer, however, is not it. If my dietary restrictions limited me to this or no beer, I'll have a glass of water or a diet coke.

3.55/5  rDev +49.8%

Haven't noticed this sorghum beer around Illinois yet, found it on a recent trip through Wisconsin at Le Cork in Mt. Horeb.

Into a stange glass right from the fridge, it has some puffy foam at first that billows above the rim. It's texture is firm but breaks apart in chunks after the first sip. It's a goldenrod yellow with steady trails of CO2. The smell has a touch of apple and minerals, reminding me of a Berliner Weisse somehow. Flavor is a little buttery with a note of apple that fades quickly into a dry finish. The sorghum has a bit of dustiness to it. There was a low level of bitterness, the label does list hops as an ingredient. Crisp with an initial bite, then it rapidly fades away.

More flavor than a macro for sure, maybe more of an acquired taste though. Certainly a godsend for those with Celiac's.

3.18/5  rDev +34.2%

Light off-white head. Lasts at a single bubble level. Light lace; it tends to slide down the glass. Clear, light amber.

Strong sweet grainy smell. Reminds me very much of the British milds available in bottle in America.

Almost like a scotch ale...it also has elements of Scotch itself--notable alcohol and a dry-ish finish. There's a hop bite at the end. Not as bad as I expected--it's certainly not a lawn mower beer.

3.15/5  rDev +32.9%

Color is a clear yellow with a bubbly white head, like Pepsi. Looks almost exactly like ginger ale, including bubbles on the inside of the glass. Weird.

The smell is an ultra-sweet, sugary malt, moreso than even an English ale. It even smells like ginger ale and a white wine. Unusual, but not "bad."

The tate is a different sugary sweet taste, like a white wine, combined with sweet brown-sugary English malts. I actually don't hate it. Butterscotch and toffee in the aftertaste.

The feel is smooth and buttery. A nice, silky texture. It's like a malty, sugary white wine all the way around. For a sorghum beer it's actually really drinkable. I'd take it over a Bud.

3.28/5  rDev +38.4%

Poured from a 12oz bottle into a US tumbler pint glass.

A: The beer is a deep gold color with a short white head that fades very quickly and leaves a thin lace on the glass.

S: The aroma is of light caramelized malts, spice, grain and a touch of hops.

T: The taste is sweet and bready up front with flavors of caramel, spices and a little fruit. The malt character is hearty but not too heavy. The hops presence is mild but brings a little bit of balance. The after-taste is slightly sweet.

M: Smooth and crisp, light-to-medium body, medium carbonation, finish is clean.

D: A little tasty, goes down ok, not too filling, mild kick, I wasn't expecting too much from this beer and although it wasn't too bad, there also wasn't anything about this beer that made it good enough for me to want to drink consistently.

2.23/5  rDev -5.9%

pours a clear amber with a thin white head, and some lacing.

smell is faint, malt, some spice, caramel, and roasted nuts.

taste of malt, caramel, slightly metallic, and a funky aftertaste.

strange brew but better than dragons gold from what i remember.

2.98/5  rDev +25.7%

Pours a two finger white head that fades instantly leaving no lace. Crystal clear amber color. Fizzy carbonation and light-medium bodied. Corn/grainy nose. Flavor is sweet corn and some caramel. Squeaky clean finish. $2.05 for a 12oz bottle from Colonial Spirits Acton, MA.

3.53/5  rDev +48.9%

Highly effervescent pale yellow pour. Slight bit of head with no retention. No lacing. First to hit my nose is some serious barnyard funk, followed by some butter, and just a hint of fruit.

Tastes of sour grapes, lemon, dried cracker, soda water, and chalk. It reminds me a little bit Alka-seltzer. This is a unique brew. Its not my preferred style. But, I enjoy a new experience (burp...). Heavy carbonation, that feels rightly balanced with this type of brew.

Very crisp and refreshing overall.

3.63/5  rDev +53.2%

A) Honey colored. Transparent. Active carbonation. Pours with a thin head that settles out to the edge of the glass in a creamy lacing.
S) Bold molasses and brown sugar aroma with just a bit of anise.
T) Mild anise flavor with a slight brown sugar undertone.
M) Creamy. A light to medium body.
D) A decent brew. A good combination of ingredients.

Bard's Gold from Bard's Tale Beer Company