Bard's Gold - Bard's Tale Beer Company

Minnesota, United States

American Adjunct Lager |  4.60% ABV

Beer added by: BEERchitect on 01-28-2009

2.5/5  rDev +5%

Bottle from Harvest Market to fill the mix a six I was putting together.
Fairly clear light golden head with a tightly bubbled small white head that dissipates rather quickly. Aromas of sour apple and light sugar. Little to no hop aroma. The flavor is sweet with a bit of a tart fruit thing going on with bit of pomme fruit and light sugar. Light, crisp, bubbly. Not really what I would call beer, but it didn't really suck either.

2.5/5  rDev +5%

Poured from 12 oz bottle into a pint glass.

Appearance: light gold to straw color. A finger of fizzy head which dissipated very quickly.

Smell: mild; sweet and grainy. There's an almost chalky aroma here; definitely not your traditional barley beer.

Taste: bizarrely enough, the taste I get is one of plastic. There are some hops and an interesting grain taste in there, but mostly I get a stale-water-stored-in-a-plastic-tub taste.

Mouthfeel: a light body with a medium-to-heavy level of carbonation.

Drinkability: between the flavor, smell and high carbonation, this is a hard one to force down.

I love the idea of this beer: a good beer in this vein could be great for someone with celiac disease or another barley or wheat allergy. This beer, however, is not it. If my dietary restrictions limited me to this or no beer, I'll have a glass of water or a diet coke.

2.5/5  rDev +5%

Came out of the bottle a cloudy orange with no head at all.

This beer had a very faint sweet smell which must be the sorghum.

Doesn't taste terrible has a sweet bitter taste.

Felt pretty thin in the mouth will a little carbonation.

Overall as a gluten free beer this isn't too bad, but compared to it's gluten enriched rivals it fails to inspire.

2.43/5  rDev +2.1%

Clear amber colored beer with a small white colored head.

Smells sweet and grainy with a strange scent that must be the sorghum. Smell of mixed tobacco and tea. Smells strange.

Starts out sweet and grainy with a grain husk flavor and a fair amount of bitterness. Slight caramel flavor and some astringency. This tastes a little weird.

Mouthfeel is OK.

Drinkability isn't so great. For sorghum beer it isn't bad. For beer though this doesn't raise to the level of Budweiser.

2.4/5  rDev +0.8%

Poured into my pint glass the beer is amber brown with about a finger of white head. No retention no lace.

The aroma is sweet and grassy. Like caramel coated grass clippings. I can't really pin point what I'm getting from this beer. Rather fruity though.

The flavor has a sharp gritty bitter bite. It's like sour malt with burnt caramel corn. Not something I really look for in my beers taste.

Medium to light body. Moderate carbonation.

Overall this is a unique beer for sure. I'm so glad I don't have food alergies that would require me to drink this.

2.36/5  rDev -0.8%

2.28/5  rDev -4.2%

I actually drank this at work. So I poured it into a solo cup. it was only about an hour ago so im just going from memory.

A-Sort of an orange/red. basically no head. again this was in a red solo cup so i couldnt see it well.

S-a little different. never smelled a beer like this. but smelled like something that had potential.

T-wow...i honestly cant describe this. i guess it was the sorghum. not really sure. not flavors I am used to tasting here. it really just didnt taste much like beer. very powerful finish. not sure what it was, i guess hops. but didnt really taste hoppy.

MF-not much that i remember. not a very good aftertaste though.

O-I wont be trying this again. If you cant drink regular beer because of gluten problems then stick with another type of alcohol. Im not sure how other gluten free beers are but this was wasn't something I can see many people enjoying. The look and smell was the best part.

2.25/5  rDev -5.5%

pours a clear amber with a thin white head, and some lacing.

smell is faint, malt, some spice, caramel, and roasted nuts.

taste of malt, caramel, slightly metallic, and a funky aftertaste.

strange brew but better than dragons gold from what i remember.

2.07/5  rDev -13%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

Pours a honey golden amber hue with a fine bright white head billowing nicely with the initial pour, however head retention isn't this beer's strong suit. Aroma smells like a booze ridden brandy or something higher in alcohol, which doesn't make sense at all but that's what I'm getting out of this beer. A slightly sour tobacco note with some fruity highlights to it maybe ripened apple and cherry. Flavor is extraordinarily horrid, tastes like cough syrup drizzled with sweet maple sugar. Not the worst liquid I've ever drank but as far as beer goes this fuckin' sucks, stick to the British specialty beers or good old Redbridge from AB if you wanna cure your Celiac's disease. I could finish it but there's just nothing keeping me going toward the finish line. It would be self abuse otherwise the way this one hits the palate with faded carbonation makes the bad things just remain stagnant on my palate. Overall I think I expressed how I feel about this beer, just don't go there unless it's a health issue with no other options for something remotely beery.

2.02/5  rDev -15.1%

The color is nice, there isn't much head, but the smell isn't giving me a lot of promise. The flavor is...not especially pleasant. I can't even figure out how to describe it. I knew not to expect anything like other light amber ales, but all I am getting is what I assume is the sorghum. No other kind of hops or nuances.

I really wanted to like this beer, but I just don't. I think making an IPA out of this and masking the flavor the malt would be a good direction. I don't think it's badly brewed, I just think I don't dig on sorghum. Unfortunate.

2.02/5  rDev -15.1%

Gifted by Huhzubendah- Thanks Matt!

Pours a light gold color w/ a small off white head. This brew leaves a small amount of lacing on my snifter glass. Pretty clear in appearance- I can see through to the other side very easily. The nose on this makes me wince a little bit- it's like no other beer I've had... I mainly get some rice, sorghum, and sugar sweetness in the nose. It's not good. The taste follows suit, although a touch better. There's a mild hops aftertaste that kind of cleanses the sugar out of your mouth. It's pretty bad, but not the worst thing I've had. The feel is light, w/ good carbonation and a dry finish. Overall, I'm glad I got to try a Sorghum beer, but I think I'll stick to the regular stuff from here on out. Cheers.

Bard's Gold from Bard's Tale Beer Company