Bard's Gold - Bard's Tale Beer Company

American Adjunct Lager |  4.60% ABV

Beer added by: BEERchitect on 01-28-2009

firstprev| 1-25 | 26-50 | 51-75  | next → last
1.73/5  rDev -30.8%

Appearance - Poured from a bottle into a Duvel tulip glass (I feel like I have now tainted my tulip glass). Yellow, small tint of copper.

Smell - sweet, surghom sugar.

Taste - no flavor whatsoever. Aftertaste of sorghum.

Mouthfeel - so-so.

Overall - I would only recommend this beer to my gravest enemies.

3.12/5  rDev +24.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3

Fantastic Marketing, fun topics on bottle lids, such as “Do telemarketers have an evil laugh they do when they dial?” Only thing missing is the beer. It's smooth, it's golden. The body of the beer is extremely weak and it has a very submissive taste- leaving little to no aftertaste.

3.52/5  rDev +40.8%

Highly effervescent pale yellow pour. Slight bit of head with no retention. No lacing. First to hit my nose is some serious barnyard funk, followed by some butter, and just a hint of fruit.

Tastes of sour grapes, lemon, dried cracker, soda water, and chalk. It reminds me a little bit Alka-seltzer. This is a unique brew. Its not my preferred style. But, I enjoy a new experience (burp...). Heavy carbonation, that feels rightly balanced with this type of brew.

Very crisp and refreshing overall.

1.06/5  rDev -57.6%

Smells like really bad beer, but at least it smelled like beer. This is it's strong point.

Tastes like adhesive. Really strong aftertaste of synthetic aircraft grade adhesive spray.

My first Gluten free beer. I sure hope there are other options for the gluten free people. I'll try to find a better option and report back.

No further detail.

3.2/5  rDev +28%

This beer was better than most light sorghum beers that i have had in the past. It almost reminded me of sparkling sake except that it had a very slight/mild hop flavor at the end. It was light, crisp, and easy to drink. I would recommend this to anyone that wanted a gluten free beer that was easy to drink. I also plan to compare it to a sparkling sake. Good sorghum beer.

2.9/5  rDev +16%

I've got a video review if anyone wants to see what it looks like on my site at http://mikesbrewreview.com/review-of-bards-gold

Copper colored and freakishly clear and consistent in color. Fast carbonation with some really small and some larger bubbles. The head didn't really rise nor stick around.

At first it seems thicker than it is but I'd give this a light feeling. The carbonation is nice on the tongue and throat.

Very subtle caramel and hop floral aroma.

Funny. Not in a bad way, just not the way you are expecting. The hops don't really come out so your left with this sweet weird bitter taste that I could only imagine a thick dust ball would taste like. Kind of musty.

If I was on a gluten free diet I'd probably drink it, but I don't think I'd drink many of these.

I think its worth a try to give something else a shot, but I would definitely split the 6 pack with someone that is as curious as you are because it isn't what you are probably looking for in "beer". I do think this could make a good conversational piece for beer parties or tastings if you are into that sort of thing, but like I said, I'll probably never drink Bard's Gold Sorghum Beer again. Of course, unless something happens to me glutenins!

1.5/5  rDev -40%

A) Lots of carbonation-very little foam, no lacing. Reminds me a little of champagne
S) not a lot of aroma-something a little sharp and crisp
T) Well, it would be great if you want to drink a bottle of blackstrap sorghum molasses. No lie there. When I drank this I was thinking it needed to go on cornpone.
M) Thin
D) Drank a third of it and could not finish.

2.5/5  rDev 0%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

This beer is a palatable below average beer. I wouldn't chuck it I wouldn't buy it but if you but it in my hands I would raise it to my lips on instinct

A) to dark for an american style lager this is thanks to the sorghum base that makes up this drink

S) I'm holding to my nose as I type this and all I can say is... theres not a drop of art in this glass

T) bland

M) thin

O) this beer is not bad at all... just... effectively boring

3.5/5  rDev +40%

This is a three for people who can drink anything they want, a four for people who can't handle barley or wheat.

Barley is fantastic for making beer because it converts more starch into malt sugar than anything else. It's not delicate - you can do what you like, make a real hopped-out IPA and still get strong malt taste. Other grains and seeds aren't like that and they taste like themselves first, often not very assertively. I live a continent away from Bard's and it does taste like it might be better nearer the source.

This is a decent sorghum beer - probably pretty average if you went to Africa and sampled around but good in North America. I would enjoy sorghum malt even if I didn't need to avoid barley; this tastes malty and lactic with some hops and fruit, but not floral. It's become my go-to GF beer: findable and affordable, goes with spicy food, and made from grain, hops, yeast and water. When I crave beerness I can find it with this. I like that it's a little lower in alcohol (4.7%) because alcohol is bitter and I'd rather have a balanced taste and no hangover. It will not appeal to you if you like untempered IPA but might if you like lambics (I love real lambic and will brave gluten for it).

That said I'm not surprised that this is rated highly by people who like Coors Light - it is thin and light, but tastes crafty rather than mainstream. Definitely worth a try if you're looking for GF and don't want the candy-syrup beers (those are the real concoctions). For me beer is a living thing and I mostly want it to taste that way.

1.06/5  rDev -57.6%

I have recently been informed by two physicians that I am 99% celiac positive, but am awaiting an endoscopy / biopsy for 100 % diagnosis. Having been told that I most likely will have to give up my 30 year passion for beer, I went out today and purchased my first ever six pack of imitation beer, aka Bard's Tale Gold. I tried very hard to keep an open mind before trying this concoction. I do not drink beer to get intoxicated. I drink beer because I love the palatable complexities and varieties it affords. I am, and I say this with pride, a beer snob. Trust me, if this was merely about catching a buzz, I understand that in spite of celicac, I can still drink a variety of distilled spirits or wine.

That being said, I am extremely unhappy with Bard's Tale Gold. It is, quite simply, not beer. It has absolutely no mouth feel of a beer. It has an unpleasant, grassy, sugary, fruit-gone-bad taste, no lasting head or lacing when poured, the aroma is not an aroma...more a bad extract scent, and it did not pair well with the appetizer or stir fry I prepared for dinner. This IS NOT BEER. Shame on the brewers, who I do understand are celiac sufferers, for calling it beer. If the brewers truly once LOVED beer, then TRY HARDER. Your product is LIGHT GRASS CIDER. Add some hops, a lot of hops, more sugars to amp up the alcohol content. Give your recipe some color and some carbonation. Experiment with something other than sorghum. Yes, I know it has been used in Africa for a long time, but it is not the only option. How about removing gluten during the process?

I sit here at my computer and ask myself if the celiac diagnosis is worth Bard's Tale beer?
My response: I am drinking a Yard's Tavern Spruce. I'll get "glutened" and enjoy myself before I'll drink more Bard's Beer. Will real beer make me feel bloated and maybe cause me to have diarrhea, constipation, gas, weight gain, weight loss, anemia, B 12 deficiency, vitamin D deficiency, fatigue, muscle aches, migraines, joint pain, and memory loss. Yes, it most likely will. So do my allergy meds. My cholesterol meds. Oh, and aging. Getting old isn't for wussies.

I am NOT taking shots at those of you who are suffering really bad consequences of celiac. Trust me when I say this. I am 46 and was diagnosed with Type I diabetes when I was three years old. I don't remember life without living with an autoimmune disease. I take four injections of insulin daily. I check my blood sugar eight times daily. I count carbs (including beer) and adjust my insulin dosages accordingly. I do most likely have celiac. But I have lived the majority of my life not knowing it. I have also lived my adult life enjoying beer as a pleasurable vice that I enjoy in extreme moderation given my Type I diabetes condition. Bard's is not beer.

3.77/5  rDev +50.8%

A: Pours a clear light amber with little head. A slight foam remains at the edges, but leaves no lacing as the beer is drunk.

S: Earthy, but in a different way from earthy hops - the smell of sorghum, maybe? Caramel is also definitely present, along with a bit of fruitiness - maybe white grapes or green apples? The earthiness has a slight herbal quality to it, although it makes me think more of vegetables than herbs. I'm not entirely sure what I think of it, but it's certainly different, and not in a particularly bad way. As it warms, the fruitiness gets more pronounced, as does the caramel, but the earthiness continues to hold its own.

T: Fruity caramel sweetness, that strange earthiness again, and a balancing mild sourness. Not particularly bitter while drinking it, but leaves a mild bitter aftertaste, that's more vegetable-like (not in a bad way) than hoppy, although hops are (faintly) present as well. It's hard to say what I think of it, as my impression changes from swig to swig, and I have little to compare it to.

M: Fairly light, though not to the point of wateriness, and made a little heavier by the modest carbonation. Neither a sipper nor a chugger, but something to drink by the mouthfull.

O: Probably not a beer I'll want to drink regularly, but certainly worth having again. I haven't had any other sorghum-based beers to compare it to, but it's certainly different from any other beers that I have had.

3.87/5  rDev +54.8%

While this beer won't really stand up against some of the wheat/barley/rye containing beers, this is an excellent choice for celiacs and others who can't have gluten.

The pour on this beer is pretty...wait for it...poor. The head falls apart pretty quickly, but is more substantial than other GF beers I've tried.

The smell is a little sugary. Ok, it's a lot sugary. I would imagine this would be the smell you might encounter upon opening a fresh bag of brown sugar.

The predominant taste is also of molasses or brown sugar, which I don't completely disagree with, as one of my favorite brews before finding out I was a celiac was Ayinger's Celebrator Doppelbock; also a very sweet beer with heavy roasted sugar overtones.

Mouthfeel is very bubbly and light. Almost more like a Sprite than a beer.

Even though this beer may not be enjoyed by the typical beer snob (ah, memories of my pretentious pre-celiac self), I think the average gluten intolerant folks out there will find this to be a refreshing and very drinkable alternative to the other sorghum beers they've tried.

3.9/5  rDev +56%

Got this in the bargain bin at the grocery store. It's a solidly good beer, and has unique flavor, but I wouldn't call it "great."

Can't get a good look at it in the bottle. Don't know what it looks like.

Bananas in the nose but not in the taste, apples and a little hops. Reminds me of wet concrete.

Taste is... pretty good overall. I get medium sweetness with strong toffy and less prominent but still strong coffee flavors and crab apples. It tastes almost like Roman nougat if they dipped it in coffee instead of chocolate. Very bitter aftertaste. Not much hops.

Feels light, but not as light as a lager and lightly carbonated. When I swish it around in my mouth it doesn't emulsify the way other beers do, it just kind of increases in volume.

I would drink this again, but not unless it was on sale. There's better stuff for cheaper.

Bards beer is really good gluten free beer it taste like the beer I use to drink before I went on my gluten free diet
I use to drink coors light
I give it a 10 out of 10 that's how good it is
It smells like coors light not apples or green apples
It tast like coors light to

2.15/5  rDev -14%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 2.25

I quit smoking a few years ago and apparently that staves off celiac disease. Harsh irony!

Anyway I have cut any and all kinds of precious wheat creations like, say, bread, but not beer, god no. Thought I'd try an experiment to see what happened with a GF beer.

If this is all I get: fail. I picture that guy in the Matrix, wanting to think that daily mush is a steak. Well, it ain't; no blue pill proffered.

No head or gone to nada before I noticed. Smells beery, in a lager kind of way. Looks like a lager. But tastes like something new, however not, importantly, beer. Almost cider I suppose, but I like cider. Not cider either. Sorghum "beer" is its own thing.

There is an aftertaste, which I guess is the sorghum. Or rather, It's like an after-sweetness, and also this slippery after-mouthfeel--like you went to the wrong sushi bar and maybe it's time to get worried.

If my stomach gets so fouled and this is all I can handle? Switching to wine and booze. Thanks for trying though Bard's, hopefully you perfect it. Try some more! Run a kickstarter, I'll kick in.

firstprev| 1-25 | 26-50 | 51-75  | next → last