Bard's Gold - Bard's Tale Beer Company, LLC

awful

Bard's Tale Beer Company, LLC visit their website
New York, United States

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  4.60% ABV

(Beer added by: BEERchitect on 01-28-2009)
3.4/5  rDev +45.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A friend brought a sixer of this to the beach, not realizing it was a sorghum brew. Not wanting to buy it myself, I was happy to sample his. However, I'm surprised at the beer - it's, well, good.

Poured in to a somewhat dirty/scratched glass, but the beer is a lovely amber/copper color, and the surface of the glass ensured an active, bubbly pour. The tiny bubbles graced the top of the bear with a snow white foam, looking almost like steamed milk.

The aroma is appropriately malty, though smelling more of silage than barley. There's no apparent hop aroma.

The taste is reminiscent of an adjunct lager, and I had trouble not thinking of a slightly warm can of Ranier drank on the front porch in late May. The beer has a clean profile and leaves a slightly tart taste on the palate, but still very much a beer.

I'm impressed. I'll have to get some for my celiac grandpa.

freed, Mar 16, 2009

Michaeldmanley, Feb 18, 2013
1.7/5  rDev -27.4%

12oz bottle poured into a pint glass. Neck stamped PD 12/15/2010.

Appearance - Clear amber body. Two finger loose white head with decent to good stick and decent retention.

Smell - Alcohol. Dark fruit. Almost smells like a Belgian abbey ale. Weird.

Taste - Almost flavorless. Tastes like burning plastic. I do not wish this on another human being.

Mouthfeel - Solvent. Astringent. Caustic.

Overall Drinkability - Probably the single worst beer I've ever had.

ZenAgnostic, Nov 06, 2011
2.5/5  rDev +6.8%

sailorastro, Jul 12, 2012
3.25/5  rDev +38.9%

Shafaegalo, Mar 18, 2014

kkmiller76, Jan 21, 2014

rudy0908, Dec 15, 2012
2.83/5  rDev +20.9%

Appearance: An effervescent coppery-amber body capped by about a finger of whitish head that leaves excellent lacing.

Aroma: Sweet, biscuity, and caramel-like malt accompanied by some metallic tones.

Flavor: Biscuity, lightly grainy, and somewhat buttery malt accompanied by some bare hops and a metallic twang. As for balance, malt takes the spotlight. Grains and coppery metal in the finish.

Mouthfeel: Medium bodied and crisp with medium-high carbonation. Doesn't dry out in the finish.

Drinkability: Easily drinkable, but just a little too bland to really hold my interest.

Verdict: An interesting diversion, though something I'd have a hard time recommending to anyone not suffering from gluten intolerance. For those that do need to avoid gluten, this is certainly something to try out.

BeanBone, Feb 22, 2010

ZachRusk, Aug 23, 2012

bckayaalp, Jun 09, 2013
2.7/5  rDev +15.4%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Pours an apple cider colour, with a head to go with (bright active bubbles which quickly faded)

Smell is of light caramel sweetness and citric hops.

Taste is fruity up front (from the yeast?), some apple, a little bit of bitterness and then fades into a somewhat grainy aftertaste.

M-Medium-high carbonation, perhaps a bit too much. Keeps it from lingering too long on the tongue though, which I think I would find unpleasant.

D-Not something I would enjoy for flavour's sake.

darklordlager, Nov 25, 2009
1.98/5  rDev -15.4%

The color is nice, there isn't much head, but the smell isn't giving me a lot of promise. The flavor is...not especially pleasant. I can't even figure out how to describe it. I knew not to expect anything like other light amber ales, but all I am getting is what I assume is the sorghum. No other kind of hops or nuances.

I really wanted to like this beer, but I just don't. I think making an IPA out of this and masking the flavor the malt would be a good direction. I don't think it's badly brewed, I just think I don't dig on sorghum. Unfortunate.

McNealc31, Aug 06, 2011

MichaelProcton, May 30, 2014

DoubleMalt, Oct 25, 2013

tbone64, Jul 08, 2014

There is a lot of talk about gluten-free products. From the food we eat to the beer we drink, gluten-free is a popular topic of discussion. The beer we are drinking today would fit nicely in that conversation. The beer is gluten-free. Apparently there are 10,000 different types of sorghum out there… and no one knows which one is best to brew with. But let’s see what this little guy smells and tastes like.

What is that nose? I like it… a lot. I want to say fruit, but I am not sure. It smells wet too, and I fear, based on how this poured into the glass, is going to be a little carbonated as well.

But it’s not. It’s not carbonated at all. It actually has very little mouthfeel whatsoever. It goes in, goes down, and you sit there thinking… what’s next? Let’s try it again just for good measure. Yeah, same thing. The best way I can describe this is drinking a can of soda that has been left open in the fridge for, oh, a week.

I’m sorry to all of those who live a gluten-free life, but I have to tell you… my beer tastes better. This is just bad. The smell is incredible, but it stops there. I hate that too, as I wanted this beer to be good. At least for the gluten-free people.

rickyleepotts, Jun 25, 2011

The only reason I gave this a 1 is because they dont allow you to put a negative score in. Quite possibly the worst thing i have ever drank. I would prefer a warm pint of bottom shelf gin then this atrocity. I dont even know how you can call this beer. I read through all these reviews and could not fathom a beer actually tasting that bad. Well I was most defintiely wrong. The taste is still lingering 10 minutes later.

Garrett092112, Jul 27, 2013

BeerMe42, Nov 15, 2011

IAMTEAMPONY, Feb 15, 2014
3.23/5  rDev +38%

I got this as a sample from a distributor.

Pours a clear amber-gold colour with plenty of carbonation but not much head. The aroma is, well, it's not unpleasant, it definitely smells like beer. Quite a lot of grain, not much hops. The taste follows on from that, but with an odd, sort of metallic undertone. It has a pleasantly bitter finish. A little bit over-carbonated for my liking and not a lot of weight in the body.

If, heaven forbid, I had to drink gluten-free beer I wouldn't turn my nose up at it, but I sure would miss everything else.

omnigrits, May 23, 2010

Ilafan, Jun 09, 2013
2.75/5  rDev +17.5%

EddieJoe, Oct 07, 2013
2.17/5  rDev -7.3%

I actually drank this at work. So I poured it into a solo cup. it was only about an hour ago so im just going from memory.

A-Sort of an orange/red. basically no head. again this was in a red solo cup so i couldnt see it well.

S-a little different. never smelled a beer like this. but smelled like something that had potential.

T-wow...i honestly cant describe this. i guess it was the sorghum. not really sure. not flavors I am used to tasting here. it really just didnt taste much like beer. very powerful finish. not sure what it was, i guess hops. but didnt really taste hoppy.

MF-not much that i remember. not a very good aftertaste though.

O-I wont be trying this again. If you cant drink regular beer because of gluten problems then stick with another type of alcohol. Im not sure how other gluten free beers are but this was wasn't something I can see many people enjoying. The look and smell was the best part.

Swim424, Oct 01, 2011
3.25/5  rDev +38.9%

troyvar, May 30, 2012
2.6/5  rDev +11.1%

Poured from a 12 oz bottle into my Telegraph Brewing shaker glass. A minimal amount of head, less than 1/2 a finger which dies almost immediately. No lacing. A pretty decent generic amber color. Lot's of bubbles rising to the top, fizzy yellow beer anyone? Getting a crisp sort a sweet malt on the nose. For lack of a better description, smells like a mellow cheap blended Scotch. Some funky grain flavors going on. Very grainy, cereal, and once again, tastes like watery bad fizzy Scotch. Mouthfeel isn't bad. A nice crispness, kind of like sparkling wine. Finishes very dry. This review does NOT sound good, but for a gluten free beer, it sure beats the hell out of Redbridge and the like. Glad I'm not allergic to barley! Really hard to choke down a whole bottle. Took almost an hour.

WestValleyIPA, Mar 02, 2011