Battle Crye - Foothills Brewing Company

Beer added by: pimpinmidget on 10-28-2013

to view more.
Ratings: 17 | Reviews: 2
3.97/5  rDev 0%

AtlCarl: a trader who continues to feed my rye obsession, although my wife rolls her eyes when I wax poetic about a rye beer. Tough it out, hon! 22 oz. bottle split with aforementioned fine woman.

Pour is a dingy orange with just a touch of refuse in the bottom of the bottle to cloud up the brew. Nose promises good things: plenty of citrus with a rip-current of spiciness I'll attribute to the rye.

Battle Crye makes me yearn for all those leering, drunken, debaucherized weekends I spent 'working' at the Renaissance Festival in my youth...damn that was fun! This beer would have to be showing cleavage to be a fitting tribute. A nice enough citrus caress open up, with only a gentle wave of bitterness behind it. Spice from the rye kicks it up a notch. Touch of peach or something I can't quite identify in the finish. Easy to drink, I'm all over this ladder climb of a brew.

Somehow this beer is less than the sum of its parts. I dig all the components quite a lot, & it's very good, but feel like it should be blowing my tiny beer mind. And it's not. Well, hey, a very good, rye, citrusy IPA? There are much worse ways to spend a few minutes.

3.98/5  rDev +0.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

Foothills Brewing Winston-Salem NC
This is a new offering ... never seen by me
22 oz bomber
Pours a golden straw color with a white head.
Tight nose , do get citrus hop aromas along with the rye malt. Do like the rye yeasty coming out.
Smooth taste , nice bitterness, and well balanced. The hops and malts do come together nicely.
Medium mouthfeel along with a long finish. Getting fond of these rye ipas.
Overall this is another well made brew by Foothills .. Thanks .. Salut