Peabody's Blendiculous Series 2 - Children Of The Blue Corn - Foothills Brewing Company - Downtown Brewpub

Peabody's Blendiculous Series 2 - Children Of The Blue CornPeabody's Blendiculous Series 2 - Children Of The Blue Corn

Foothills Brewing Company - Downtown Brewpub visit their website
North Carolina, United States

American Brown Ale |  8.00% ABV

Beer added by: Dano420 on 12-07-2013

Peabody's Blendiculous #2 is a collaboration with Peabody's Beer and Wine Merchants. The brew is the Second of the Blendiculous Series. Children of the Blue Corn is an Extremely Hopped Imperial Brown Ale, that has been aged in Balcones "Rumble" Blue Corn Whiskey Barrels (aged with mission Figs, Turbinado Sugar, and Wildflower Honey) and Single Malt Whiskey Barrels for Three Months. The Beer was then blended with some Exotic Tangerine Oils, to create an amazing layered experience! Big Ripe Hops in the front, and smooth balanced barrel notes round into a soft tangerine finish. This is a One-Time Release in the series with only 120 Cases produced!
2.62/5  rDev -31.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.75

Pours a light brown with a huge foamy head. Didn't get any barrel notes on the nose, and it was barely noticeable when tasting, either. It had a resinous flavor that I thought did an injustice to the notion of a brown ale. I thought it was a bit of a mess, which was really disappointing with how much I like Foothills. (319 characters)

3.94/5  rDev +2.9%

Poured into a tulip glass. I was able to try this on the release day, so I figured I would let it sit for a year.

A: Pours a thick dark brown with no light showing through. A large foamy khaki head leaves a ton of lacing as well as a large cap long after the pour.

S: Dosent have a very strong scent some oak as well as grassy hops.

T: fair amount of barrel flavor, but not to much, lots of tangerine present as well as a very dry hop flavor, mostly grassy and citrus hops, maybe a bit of resinous. Some carmel and vanilla flavors as it warms up.

F: Body is decent although I wouldn't mind it being a bit thicker. Barrel flavor clings to my teeth after a sip. Hops leave the mouth a bit dry after each sip.

O: its a really good Brown ale, I defiantly liked it better when it was fresher, However even then I don't think it was worth the $15 a bottle price, especially when there are options like DFH Indian brown out there. (930 characters)

4.42/5  rDev +15.4%

This beer has me nonplussed. I had it on the release day and then I picked up a bottle several weeks later. The initial impact lingered with me for several days afterward. I wondered if I should have picked up a bottle sooner, but then I was hesitant, it was was in my; a little too much for what I thought it was, price range. Then I was back in the store and decided to just bow to fate, because I was in the mood to give it a second try. The following experience was profound. I like bourbon aged beers, I have never had one of this style bourbon aged and I guess that is the point. I have had Balcones whisky before and I don't care much for it. I am a Kentucky purist. However, it worked well for this beer. It was Texas all the way, red Texas grapefruit and bourbon along with some malt and piney hopes, but with a certain sweetness that just leaves your palate wondering what? The only downfall is it was a bit thin in the mouthfeel. A beer with this kind of mouth impact should be more velvety, I believe. It is quiet piquant and I will probably get another one if they are not sold out. I missed the first round of this "Blendiculous" series, but this one top notch. It is a strange fellow but one I would recommend for the occasional brew that will leave your mouth like a revenant wondering the earth for something that is so salubrious yet full of peril.

Edit:

I have now tried a second bottle of this beer as I thought it would age fairly well due to the barrel aging. When I had this beer fresh it was spicy and had a nice hoppyness to it. After aging it a while it loses that characteristic. A lot of what I liked about this beer when fresh I disliked now as they have faded. I rated it fairly high before, I would have to say now that it has some age on it, that should be dropped. This is not a beer that ages well in my opinion. Very much like IPA's in that regard. It has dropped its hop characteristics and turned into a malt bomb with some faint bourbon characteristics. (1,993 characters)

3.35/5  rDev -12.5%

Thanks to LGB362 for this bottle among a nice bunch of bottles. 22 oz. glass split with my wife post-bonfire, pre-Justified.

The pour is filthy, muddy trail brown, & I see a decent amount of flotsam & jetsam ooze over the edge of the bottle before I can stop it. Digging deep, there's not much coming off the head of the beer: maybe caramel, chocolate. Not much going on in the nose.

Peabody's Blendiculous Series 2 is a tangerine bomb, a phrase I've never typed, thought, or read before. Big notes of tangerine wind their way along a trail of sweet malt. Bits of oak, citrus, & barest twinge of bourbon along the edges of my imagination. I'll be able to take half the bottle.

Interesting. Not much barrel here, but the tangerine compensated nicely. (755 characters)

4.05/5  rDev +5.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Very dark, almost completely opaque brown beer with a large fluffy brown-tinted white head. Lace is extravagant. Thick wavy strings. Head turns into a ring over the beer surface and a clumpy pile near the center. Aroma is sweet, candied, tangerine oils flooding in, sugar cookies, oatmeal cookies, raisins, figs, creamy, and all softly working together. Taste is alike in many ways. The tangerine again adds something nice. Reminds me a little of those dark chocolate oranges with some vanilla, figs, pine, dates (I think?), prunes, meaty purple fruits, and a bit dry and chalky through the finish underneath the thick viscosity. Interesting. I like it. Its unusual and entertaining. (683 characters)

3.96/5  rDev +3.4%

Dark chestnut brown under a huge, beautifully soft and lumpy off-white head that lasts some time. Smells like a hoppy brown ale, nothing fancy at first. Nutty, brown sugar aromas give way to sugary fruit, bright tangerine, and perfume-like floral elements. Flavor seemingly has a lot going on from the first sip: hoppy from the start, but balanced with a soft maltiness and finishing with bright citrus oils. Only a mere hint from the whiskey barrels. This is more and more deeply fruity as it sits with tangerine, apricot, fig. Not a hop bomb, not a barrel bomb, not a malt bomb...everything working pretty damn well together. Floaty, creamy mouthfeel, drying out in the end, keeping things drinkable. I'm surprised by this one. I was a little concerned it would be too much, too complicated, but it really comes across as a pretty soft, mostly balanced strong ale. Things start to get a little sweet towards the end of the glass, which wears on the palate, but an interesting beer all around that I'm pleased I got to try. (1,024 characters)

3.63/5  rDev -5.2%
look: 3.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.75

Name appears to be "Series 2 Special Blendiculous Imperial Brown Ale".

22oz bottle served in a snifter (re-evaluated in Dec, 2015)
Clear dark brown body covered by a bubbly head.

Sweet and slightly boozy aroma, with brown sugar. Alcohol should be less obvious, but probably gets highlighted by the whisky barrel treatment.

Flavor: nice complexity; mildly and nicely sweet; raisins, dates, toffee; some medium and darker malts come out in the finish. Obvious but tame hops at the start and finish.

O: well crafted and recommended. (538 characters)

3.51/5  rDev -8.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

650 mL bottle poured into a snifter.

Appearance - Brown body. Nice khaki head. Thick collar, nice lacing, and nice surface foam.

Smell - Fruity. Citrus and some apricot. Some nutty and chocolate malts.

Taste - Less citrusy, but it's there. More caramel. Some grapefruit hops behind it. No barrel that I can tell.

Mouthfeel - Medium body. Well carbonated, maybe too much.

Overall - Smells interesting, but it just doesn't taste that interesting. Nothing really wrong with it. (480 characters)

3.82/5  rDev -0.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Appearance: One of those beers that is all foam on the pour and then eventually settles down, producing a fudge brown liquid that is capped by a lot of foam; not surprisingly, the retention is good, as is the lacing

Smell: Corn whiskey, caramel, chocolate, tangerine and oak

Taste: Chocolate, figs and a touch of caramel, up front, with the corn whiskey tones really building, along with the tangerine, in the mid-palate; the hop layer grinds through the finish; the aftertaste has a bit of Bourbon in it, but it is very subtle and is overwhelmed by the hops

Mouthfeel: Medium to full body with moderate carbonation

Overall: For all the elements that have gone into this beer, I think there may be an overload; while I am impressed by the conception, I am not a fan of the corn whiskey and I would have preferred the hops to be dialed back allowing for a bigger Bourbon influence (883 characters)

4.96/5  rDev +29.5%

I got this bottle at the release party at Peabody's

Beer pours nice deep brown with a light tan head. Smell is big, big hops with a some sweet barrel and citrus notes, extremely fresh. Tastes like it smells, this beer is huge on the fresh hop and citrus at the beginning and the barrels start to show themselves towards the finish. The final finish is definitely tangerine, I think it works well with the big hoppiness at the start. I cannot for the life of me think of another beer like this one. Layering is right, it is so interesting with the different notes that you get. I cannot wait for this beer to age a little bit, because the barrel taste is so fantastic that I can't wait to see what those do as they start to reveal themselves more. Just Crazy, and Fantastic! Hope I can grab a few more bottles, another great brew from Foothills, and Peabody's hit a homerun again. Find it, if you can. (901 characters)

Peabody's Blendiculous Series 2 - Children Of The Blue Corn from Foothills Brewing Company - Downtown Brewpub