Peabody's Blendiculous Series 2 - Children Of The Blue Corn - Foothills Brewing Company

Peabody's Blendiculous Series 2 - Children Of The Blue CornPeabody's Blendiculous Series 2 - Children Of The Blue Corn

Foothills Brewing Company visit their website
North Carolina, United States

American Brown Ale |  8.00% ABV

Peabody's Blendiculous #2 is a collaboration with Peabody's Beer and Wine Merchants. The brew is the Second of the Blendiculous Series. Children of the Blue Corn is an Extremely Hopped Imperial Brown Ale, that has been aged in Balcones "Rumble" Blue Corn Whiskey Barrels (aged with mission Figs, Turbinado Sugar, and Wildflower Honey) and Single Malt Whiskey Barrels for Three Months. The Beer was then blended with some Exotic Tangerine Oils, to create an amazing layered experience! Big Ripe Hops in the front, and smooth balanced barrel notes round into a soft tangerine finish. This is a One-Time Release in the series with only 120 Cases produced!

(Beer added by: Dano420 on 12-07-2013)

3.76/5  rDev -8.5%

4.44/5  rDev +8%

This beer has me nonplussed. I had it on the release day and then I picked up a bottle several weeks later. The initial impact lingered with me for several days afterward. I wondered if I should have picked up a bottle sooner, but then I was hesitant, it was was in my; a little too much for what I thought it was, price range. Then I was back in the store and decided to just bow to fate, because I was in the mood to give it a second try. The following experience was profound. I like bourbon aged beers, I have never had one of this style bourbon aged and I guess that is the point. I have had Balcones whisky before and I don't care much for it. I am a Kentucky purist. However, it worked well for this beer. It was Texas all the way, red Texas grapefruit and bourbon along with some malt and piney hopes, but with a certain sweetness that just leaves your palate wondering what? The only downfall is it was a bit thin in the mouthfeel. A beer with this kind of mouth impact should be more velvety, I believe. It is quiet piquant and I will probably get another one if they are not sold out. I missed the first round of this "Blendiculous" series, but this one top notch. It is a strange fellow but one I would recommend for the occasional brew that will leave your mouth like a revenant wondering the earth for something that is so salubrious yet full of peril.

Edit:

I have now tried a second bottle of this beer as I thought it would age fairly well due to the barrel aging. When I had this beer fresh it was spicy and had a nice hoppyness to it. After aging it a while it loses that characteristic. A lot of what I liked about this beer when fresh I disliked now as they have faded. I rated it fairly high before, I would have to say now that it has some age on it, that should be dropped. This is not a beer that ages well in my opinion. Very much like IPA's in that regard. It has dropped its hop characteristics and turned into a malt bomb with some faint bourbon characteristics.

4.5/5  rDev +9.5%

4.5/5  rDev +9.5%

3.75/5  rDev -8.8%

3.38/5  rDev -17.8%

Thanks to LGB362 for this bottle among a nice bunch of bottles. 22 oz. glass split with my wife post-bonfire, pre-Justified.

The pour is filthy, muddy trail brown, & I see a decent amount of flotsam & jetsam ooze over the edge of the bottle before I can stop it. Digging deep, there's not much coming off the head of the beer: maybe caramel, chocolate. Not much going on in the nose.

Peabody's Blendiculous Series 2 is a tangerine bomb, a phrase I've never typed, thought, or read before. Big notes of tangerine wind their way along a trail of sweet malt. Bits of oak, citrus, & barest twinge of bourbon along the edges of my imagination. I'll be able to take half the bottle.

Interesting. Not much barrel here, but the tangerine compensated nicely.

3.75/5  rDev -8.8%

4.75/5  rDev +15.6%

4.25/5  rDev +3.4%

Peabody's Blendiculous Series 2 - Children Of The Blue Corn from Foothills Brewing Company