Seeing Double IPA - Foothills Brewing Company

Seeing Double IPASeeing Double IPA

Foothills Brewing Company visit their website
North Carolina, United States

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 10-09-2005)

twowheelssoar, Nov 15, 2011

DaveONan, Nov 30, 2011
4.84/5  rDev +19.2%

JMC_TM, Sep 01, 2014
4.78/5  rDev +17.7%

this beer blew me away especially from being brewed right down the road from me. it has an amazing mouthfeel with a sweet start and a strong hoppy finish with is exactly what im looking for from a DIPA. the pour is a really rich orange gold color with good carbonation and a good head that will stick around for a few. this beer for me has been kinda touchy being maltier one week at the pour house to beings a little hoppy the next week but either way i think it is something everyone should try and in my opinion the best beer brewed in NC.

Smith1473, Dec 03, 2010

GFish, Oct 28, 2012

senttochris, Aug 20, 2014

Beer_4_brains, Jul 23, 2014

Jason_Quad, Jul 05, 2012

Johnny2stixx, Sep 10, 2012
4.7/5  rDev +15.8%

Sample at DLD '09 thanks to a growler brought by ROBORB and his friend Trevor, whom I'm not sure whether he has a BA username. 3-4oz poured into a plastic cup.

A - amber color with a slight pillowy head.

S - grapefruit, pineapple, piney hops. I didn't notice any of the malt flavor that was to come, but given my experiences with DIPAs, I wasn't expecting any.

T - whoa. that's a lot of hops. this is also the very first time EVER that I have been able to taste malt in a DIPA. caramel malt followed by a very hoppy finish (citrus and pine) with a very, very bitter finish. it seemed more bitter than Arrogant Bastard. very, very good.

M - medium bodied with a sticky, syrupy feel. it coats the mouth and beauty of the flavor reaches every crevice, nook and cranny of the mouth.

D - I do not like DIPAs, but THIS is a good beer. I would love to have some more of this.

bowersdm, Apr 27, 2009
4.68/5  rDev +15.3%

Growler purchased at the Sexual Chocolate release. Poured into a Sierra Nevada Hop Tuilp glass. Split with my friend.

A: Pours a light copper color with a HUGE pillowy off-white head that was more than 3 or 4 fingers. Excellent retention throughout with very good lacing. One of the best overall presentations I have seen in the style.

S: Surprisingly a nice caramel malt aroma seems to be the most prevalent in the nose. Piney hop aroma mixed in with it makes for a nice blended aroma.

T: The initial flavor is sweet and matches the aroma. However, the finish is very hoppy and bitter. The main hop flavor for me is a load of pine flavor. A little bit of a grassy hop flavor mixed in with good measure. This is one of the hoppiest DIPAs I have had that could still be called balanced due to the excellent malt backbone. I would give it a 5 here, but I have had citrus hop flavored IPAs in the style that I prefer.

M: Nice and thick for an IPA. The in mouth carbonation level is perfection. I could sit and roll it around in my mouth for minutes before swallowing. However, you want to swallow it too since it tastes so good and the hops are really dominate in the finish.

D: I have used balanced for DIPAs before. This one is so smooth and easy drinking for the ABV it is scary. I am glad I split the growler with my friend, or I might not be able to go to work in the morning.

I was lucky enough to drink the 2008 version of Sexual Chocolate while at the release and it was very very good. I have to say, I like this beer more. It is a truly fantastic DIPA.

GatorBeerNerd, Feb 18, 2009
4.65/5  rDev +14.5%

Sampled from an 8oz wine glass, if there was a limit to the number they didn't tell me and my friend and I each had three.

Appearance: Ans ever so slightly hazy brass color with a nice, bubbly white head. Some decent lacing and just overall, drink me now look.

Smell: Beautiful bouquet of citrus, pine, grass, and malt. Wonderful balance of acidic and sweat smells as the hop aroma gives way to a malty sweatness. I could sniff this all day. Well if I could actually not drink it, but that just didn't happen.

Taste: Big, juicy, citrusy hops meld harmoneously with caramel sweet malt. Somewhere between Edenton's Big Boss and Dogfish Head's 90 Minute. The hop profile seems more a kin to Big Boss with the malt balance and backbone closer to 90 Minute. The ABV and IBU's are certainly much closer to the 90. There are some very interesting spice hints with the hop flavor.

Mouthfeel: For a DIPA, fantastic IMHO. Typically I find most DIPA's to have a stickyness associated to the sweetness. Not hear. Much cleaner finish. Much more to my liking.

Drinkability: I love this beer, hell I had three in a row. But the 9.0% keeps me from just drinking these all day long. Well that and I've got a wife and kid to go home to. Not to mention that job thing.

Great beer, and I believe it is becoming a regular. Should also show up around town at various locations.

Loki, Oct 21, 2005