Seeing Double IPA - Foothills Brewing Company

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 10-09-2005

4.88/5  rDev +20.5%

4.84/5  rDev +19.5%

4.77/5  rDev +17.8%

this beer blew me away especially from being brewed right down the road from me. it has an amazing mouthfeel with a sweet start and a strong hoppy finish with is exactly what im looking for from a DIPA. the pour is a really rich orange gold color with good carbonation and a good head that will stick around for a few. this beer for me has been kinda touchy being maltier one week at the pour house to beings a little hoppy the next week but either way i think it is something everyone should try and in my opinion the best beer brewed in NC.

4.68/5  rDev +15.6%

Growler purchased at the Sexual Chocolate release. Poured into a Sierra Nevada Hop Tuilp glass. Split with my friend.

A: Pours a light copper color with a HUGE pillowy off-white head that was more than 3 or 4 fingers. Excellent retention throughout with very good lacing. One of the best overall presentations I have seen in the style.

S: Surprisingly a nice caramel malt aroma seems to be the most prevalent in the nose. Piney hop aroma mixed in with it makes for a nice blended aroma.

T: The initial flavor is sweet and matches the aroma. However, the finish is very hoppy and bitter. The main hop flavor for me is a load of pine flavor. A little bit of a grassy hop flavor mixed in with good measure. This is one of the hoppiest DIPAs I have had that could still be called balanced due to the excellent malt backbone. I would give it a 5 here, but I have had citrus hop flavored IPAs in the style that I prefer.

M: Nice and thick for an IPA. The in mouth carbonation level is perfection. I could sit and roll it around in my mouth for minutes before swallowing. However, you want to swallow it too since it tastes so good and the hops are really dominate in the finish.

D: I have used balanced for DIPAs before. This one is so smooth and easy drinking for the ABV it is scary. I am glad I split the growler with my friend, or I might not be able to go to work in the morning.

I was lucky enough to drink the 2008 version of Sexual Chocolate while at the release and it was very very good. I have to say, I like this beer more. It is a truly fantastic DIPA.

Seeing Double IPA from Foothills Brewing Company