Seeing Double IPA - Foothills Brewing Company

Seeing Double IPASeeing Double IPA

Foothills Brewing Company visit their website
North Carolina, United States

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 10-09-2005)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters

DaveONan

11-30-2011 02:44:21 | More by DaveONan
Smith1473

4.78/5  rDev +17.7%

this beer blew me away especially from being brewed right down the road from me. it has an amazing mouthfeel with a sweet start and a strong hoppy finish with is exactly what im looking for from a DIPA. the pour is a really rich orange gold color with good carbonation and a good head that will stick around for a few. this beer for me has been kinda touchy being maltier one week at the pour house to beings a little hoppy the next week but either way i think it is something everyone should try and in my opinion the best beer brewed in NC.

12-03-2010 10:26:15 | More by Smith1473

Johnny2stixx

09-10-2012 04:36:17 | More by Johnny2stixx
bowersdm

4.7/5  rDev +15.8%

Sample at DLD '09 thanks to a growler brought by ROBORB and his friend Trevor, whom I'm not sure whether he has a BA username. 3-4oz poured into a plastic cup.

A - amber color with a slight pillowy head.

S - grapefruit, pineapple, piney hops. I didn't notice any of the malt flavor that was to come, but given my experiences with DIPAs, I wasn't expecting any.

T - whoa. that's a lot of hops. this is also the very first time EVER that I have been able to taste malt in a DIPA. caramel malt followed by a very hoppy finish (citrus and pine) with a very, very bitter finish. it seemed more bitter than Arrogant Bastard. very, very good.

M - medium bodied with a sticky, syrupy feel. it coats the mouth and beauty of the flavor reaches every crevice, nook and cranny of the mouth.

D - I do not like DIPAs, but THIS is a good beer. I would love to have some more of this.

04-27-2009 01:53:19 | More by bowersdm
GatorBeerNerd

Georgia

4.68/5  rDev +15.3%

Growler purchased at the Sexual Chocolate release. Poured into a Sierra Nevada Hop Tuilp glass. Split with my friend.

A: Pours a light copper color with a HUGE pillowy off-white head that was more than 3 or 4 fingers. Excellent retention throughout with very good lacing. One of the best overall presentations I have seen in the style.

S: Surprisingly a nice caramel malt aroma seems to be the most prevalent in the nose. Piney hop aroma mixed in with it makes for a nice blended aroma.

T: The initial flavor is sweet and matches the aroma. However, the finish is very hoppy and bitter. The main hop flavor for me is a load of pine flavor. A little bit of a grassy hop flavor mixed in with good measure. This is one of the hoppiest DIPAs I have had that could still be called balanced due to the excellent malt backbone. I would give it a 5 here, but I have had citrus hop flavored IPAs in the style that I prefer.

M: Nice and thick for an IPA. The in mouth carbonation level is perfection. I could sit and roll it around in my mouth for minutes before swallowing. However, you want to swallow it too since it tastes so good and the hops are really dominate in the finish.

D: I have used balanced for DIPAs before. This one is so smooth and easy drinking for the ABV it is scary. I am glad I split the growler with my friend, or I might not be able to go to work in the morning.

I was lucky enough to drink the 2008 version of Sexual Chocolate while at the release and it was very very good. I have to say, I like this beer more. It is a truly fantastic DIPA.

02-18-2009 02:58:28 | More by GatorBeerNerd
Loki

4.65/5  rDev +14.5%

Sampled from an 8oz wine glass, if there was a limit to the number they didn't tell me and my friend and I each had three.

Appearance: Ans ever so slightly hazy brass color with a nice, bubbly white head. Some decent lacing and just overall, drink me now look.

Smell: Beautiful bouquet of citrus, pine, grass, and malt. Wonderful balance of acidic and sweat smells as the hop aroma gives way to a malty sweatness. I could sniff this all day. Well if I could actually not drink it, but that just didn't happen.

Taste: Big, juicy, citrusy hops meld harmoneously with caramel sweet malt. Somewhere between Edenton's Big Boss and Dogfish Head's 90 Minute. The hop profile seems more a kin to Big Boss with the malt balance and backbone closer to 90 Minute. The ABV and IBU's are certainly much closer to the 90. There are some very interesting spice hints with the hop flavor.

Mouthfeel: For a DIPA, fantastic IMHO. Typically I find most DIPA's to have a stickyness associated to the sweetness. Not hear. Much cleaner finish. Much more to my liking.

Drinkability: I love this beer, hell I had three in a row. But the 9.0% keeps me from just drinking these all day long. Well that and I've got a wife and kid to go home to. Not to mention that job thing.

Great beer, and I believe it is becoming a regular. Should also show up around town at various locations.

10-21-2005 15:06:16 | More by Loki
RoyalT

4.63/5  rDev +14%

Appearance – This one poured a beautiful, shiny dark orange in color with some light brownish hues. The head was gianormous even on an easy pour from the growler. This is one nice-lookin’ ale.

Smell –The aroma here is awesome. The malts are lightly toasted yet very bready with some good, baked yeast notes. The hops are strong yet extremely well-balanced. This is just easy enough to relax the nasal passageways and allow for a long, luscious breath of fresh hops. I’m not the greatest at identifying hops smells but this is very complex, filled with all different variances of smell.

Taste – Oh, this has some incredible flavor. It’s one of the rare beers where the taste comes in exactly as it showed up at the smell. The toasty malts, light yeast, and even but powerful hops all mesh together just right. Drinking this semi-warm I find myself wondering what it would be like on cask. Hmmm.

Mouthfeel – This was my favorite part of the ale. It somehow manages to be brutally bitter yet smooth as silk and wonderfully balanced. The body is medium and the carbonation in laid back. This ale just melts on your tongue.

Drinkability – This is a session DIPA if ever there was one. It is probably one of the most drinkable examples of the style that I’ve ever had.

Comments – How do you thank a BA who surprises you with a growler of one of the best DIPAs that you’ve ever had. It’s just a marvelous example of the style and an amazingly thoughtful gift from the one and only AKSmokedPorter.

11-04-2005 01:59:31 | More by RoyalT
cdizinno

South Carolina

4.63/5  rDev +14%

OKAY! This may be deleted, but it is a NEW and DIFFERENT growler tasting from a Grandall infused growler with Centennial Hops from Greens at Piney Grove in Columbia, SC.

A: Slightly hazy, dark amber with a light tan head that remains for a good while. Moderate lacing this time.

S: Mostly sweet malts. Some ever so mild citrus, maybe pineaple.

T&M: Floral hops are fluffy up front with a more balanced malt character than my previous review. Still sweet throughout, but incredibally hoppy all the way through as well. Alcohol is well masked throughout! Medium to heavy bodied that still has semi-dry finish with an oily hop feel.

THIS STUFF IS INCREDIBLE. Compared to my first review, this is a totally different beer with the infusion of Centennial Hops. NOW THIS IS A DIPA!!!!

Great job to Joseph at Green's for thinking this thing through!

06-11-2010 22:37:17 | More by cdizinno
cbros

4.6/5  rDev +13.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

Serving type- From tap poured into a pint glass. Had this on tap at Mellow Mushroom in Greensboro.

A- Pours a beautiful murky amber color with a small white lace that was present throughout the beer.

S- An aroma of caramel and malt that is followed by a citrus type hoppy finish. Strong presence of alcohol present as well, potnet but not overwhelming.

T- Beautiful tastes of bold and bitter hops and a very strong alcohol presence. This mellows out a little near the end when it finishes a little dry. Hints of caramle malt, and the citrus from the hops is in perfect balance.

I had the pleasure of originally tasting this beer at the local brews fest but since I only was able to obtain 4 ounce samples at a time I felt compelled to have this in a pint before reviewing it. I am not a big bar patron so when I can go to a eatery that serves great beer then I make it a point to get there. My only regret is that this beer is not available in bottles at my local beer shop. I love this beer and I am very happy with the fact that it is a local offering. My only hesitation with this beer is that because of its combination of flavor and strength this beer can be a deadly one. I had 2 last night during dinner and felt very good afterwards. This beer definately needs to be respected and appreciated. Please start bottling this stuff because I will be the first one in line.

01-06-2009 16:38:44 | More by cbros