Seeing Double IPA - Foothills Brewing Company - Downtown Brewpub

Foothills Brewing Company - Downtown Brewpub visit their website
North Carolina, United States

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 10-09-2005

4.77/5  rDev +16.6%

this beer blew me away especially from being brewed right down the road from me. it has an amazing mouthfeel with a sweet start and a strong hoppy finish with is exactly what im looking for from a DIPA. the pour is a really rich orange gold color with good carbonation and a good head that will stick around for a few. this beer for me has been kinda touchy being maltier one week at the pour house to beings a little hoppy the next week but either way i think it is something everyone should try and in my opinion the best beer brewed in NC.

4.68/5  rDev +14.4%

Growler purchased at the Sexual Chocolate release. Poured into a Sierra Nevada Hop Tuilp glass. Split with my friend.

A: Pours a light copper color with a HUGE pillowy off-white head that was more than 3 or 4 fingers. Excellent retention throughout with very good lacing. One of the best overall presentations I have seen in the style.

S: Surprisingly a nice caramel malt aroma seems to be the most prevalent in the nose. Piney hop aroma mixed in with it makes for a nice blended aroma.

T: The initial flavor is sweet and matches the aroma. However, the finish is very hoppy and bitter. The main hop flavor for me is a load of pine flavor. A little bit of a grassy hop flavor mixed in with good measure. This is one of the hoppiest DIPAs I have had that could still be called balanced due to the excellent malt backbone. I would give it a 5 here, but I have had citrus hop flavored IPAs in the style that I prefer.

M: Nice and thick for an IPA. The in mouth carbonation level is perfection. I could sit and roll it around in my mouth for minutes before swallowing. However, you want to swallow it too since it tastes so good and the hops are really dominate in the finish.

D: I have used balanced for DIPAs before. This one is so smooth and easy drinking for the ABV it is scary. I am glad I split the growler with my friend, or I might not be able to go to work in the morning.

I was lucky enough to drink the 2008 version of Sexual Chocolate while at the release and it was very very good. I have to say, I like this beer more. It is a truly fantastic DIPA.

4.67/5  rDev +14.2%

Sample at DLD '09 thanks to a growler brought by ROBORB and his friend Trevor, whom I'm not sure whether he has a BA username. 3-4oz poured into a plastic cup.

A - amber color with a slight pillowy head.

S - grapefruit, pineapple, piney hops. I didn't notice any of the malt flavor that was to come, but given my experiences with DIPAs, I wasn't expecting any.

T - whoa. that's a lot of hops. this is also the very first time EVER that I have been able to taste malt in a DIPA. caramel malt followed by a very hoppy finish (citrus and pine) with a very, very bitter finish. it seemed more bitter than Arrogant Bastard. very, very good.

M - medium bodied with a sticky, syrupy feel. it coats the mouth and beauty of the flavor reaches every crevice, nook and cranny of the mouth.

D - I do not like DIPAs, but THIS is a good beer. I would love to have some more of this.

4.67/5  rDev +14.2%

Sampled from an 8oz wine glass, if there was a limit to the number they didn't tell me and my friend and I each had three.

Appearance: Ans ever so slightly hazy brass color with a nice, bubbly white head. Some decent lacing and just overall, drink me now look.

Smell: Beautiful bouquet of citrus, pine, grass, and malt. Wonderful balance of acidic and sweat smells as the hop aroma gives way to a malty sweatness. I could sniff this all day. Well if I could actually not drink it, but that just didn't happen.

Taste: Big, juicy, citrusy hops meld harmoneously with caramel sweet malt. Somewhere between Edenton's Big Boss and Dogfish Head's 90 Minute. The hop profile seems more a kin to Big Boss with the malt balance and backbone closer to 90 Minute. The ABV and IBU's are certainly much closer to the 90. There are some very interesting spice hints with the hop flavor.

Mouthfeel: For a DIPA, fantastic IMHO. Typically I find most DIPA's to have a stickyness associated to the sweetness. Not hear. Much cleaner finish. Much more to my liking.

Drinkability: I love this beer, hell I had three in a row. But the 9.0% keeps me from just drinking these all day long. Well that and I've got a wife and kid to go home to. Not to mention that job thing.

Great beer, and I believe it is becoming a regular. Should also show up around town at various locations.

4.62/5  rDev +13%

Appearance – This one poured a beautiful, shiny dark orange in color with some light brownish hues. The head was gianormous even on an easy pour from the growler. This is one nice-lookin’ ale.

Smell –The aroma here is awesome. The malts are lightly toasted yet very bready with some good, baked yeast notes. The hops are strong yet extremely well-balanced. This is just easy enough to relax the nasal passageways and allow for a long, luscious breath of fresh hops. I’m not the greatest at identifying hops smells but this is very complex, filled with all different variances of smell.

Taste – Oh, this has some incredible flavor. It’s one of the rare beers where the taste comes in exactly as it showed up at the smell. The toasty malts, light yeast, and even but powerful hops all mesh together just right. Drinking this semi-warm I find myself wondering what it would be like on cask. Hmmm.

Mouthfeel – This was my favorite part of the ale. It somehow manages to be brutally bitter yet smooth as silk and wonderfully balanced. The body is medium and the carbonation in laid back. This ale just melts on your tongue.

Drinkability – This is a session DIPA if ever there was one. It is probably one of the most drinkable examples of the style that I’ve ever had.

Comments – How do you thank a BA who surprises you with a growler of one of the best DIPAs that you’ve ever had. It’s just a marvelous example of the style and an amazingly thoughtful gift from the one and only AKSmokedPorter.

4.6/5  rDev +12.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

Serving type- From tap poured into a pint glass. Had this on tap at Mellow Mushroom in Greensboro.

A- Pours a beautiful murky amber color with a small white lace that was present throughout the beer.

S- An aroma of caramel and malt that is followed by a citrus type hoppy finish. Strong presence of alcohol present as well, potnet but not overwhelming.

T- Beautiful tastes of bold and bitter hops and a very strong alcohol presence. This mellows out a little near the end when it finishes a little dry. Hints of caramle malt, and the citrus from the hops is in perfect balance.

I had the pleasure of originally tasting this beer at the local brews fest but since I only was able to obtain 4 ounce samples at a time I felt compelled to have this in a pint before reviewing it. I am not a big bar patron so when I can go to a eatery that serves great beer then I make it a point to get there. My only regret is that this beer is not available in bottles at my local beer shop. I love this beer and I am very happy with the fact that it is a local offering. My only hesitation with this beer is that because of its combination of flavor and strength this beer can be a deadly one. I had 2 last night during dinner and felt very good afterwards. This beer definately needs to be respected and appreciated. Please start bottling this stuff because I will be the first one in line.

4.59/5  rDev +12.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Bomber poured into pint glass. Understated smell, barely there but slightly hoppy with some malt. Great taste but hops don't blow you away. Balanced and hoppy, good beer. Really nice mouthfeel, smooth with good carbonaion. Way too easy drinking for 9.5%. Will definitely buy again.

4.59/5  rDev +12.2%

Clear half gallon growler, courtesy of AKSmoked Porter, that upstanding gent...

Once poured into the pint glass, the aroma escapes and pervades the environment....I could drink it in from a foot away....very nice, but a closer inspection is required....ah, spank me! Fresh, vibrant hops, juicy fruit, melon and berry more than citrus as usual, brilliant bitterness, but not raw, ...very potent...beautiful.

I did this backwards, for I usually begin by describing the appearance, but the aroma grabbed me first, so here's that, then....hazed vermilllion, nearing orange, edging magenta...good head, that stays awhile before dissipating.

Taste...I got a sneak peek as it soaked into my mustache while I snorted up the aroma, and, alas, I had no recourse, but to drink it, and I think I liked it okay, but here's the sippin' for real...
Big, brash, and bitter, a bold mammajamma. Quickly establishes dominance of the palate, takes hold of the senses and never lets go. Dark fruits aplenty, but also an excellent ballast of sweet malt, doing it's job well.

Very sweet, and utterly substantial, with profoundly candyish elements to the taste, matching the bitterness well. This is a big flavored beer, in hops and in general tastiness, as well as the booze factor, and the raises it's hand to be heard also...Really edgy this, ....I'm getting the name now, as my grip on my own senses seems likely to falter if I partake in too much this night... Great Googly Moogly, this is a barnburner of a barleywinish IPA...supremely delicious, and devilishly drinkable.

Full bodied, almost thick, sturdy, hangs in there with aplomb, and the finish is interminable, fruity, bitter, tasty...for those who demands performance in their IPAs...dang if this don't do the job!

I could keep on drinking it...to a point. The fullness and extremeness and the alcohol volume are enought to dissuade over-imbibement. Beyond that, though, I can't think of a good reason to put down this growler...except that I won't have such a tip-top morning.

I do believe that this is the first North Carolina beer I've had since the Cap was Popped, and did this brewer ever take advantage of the opportunity! A righteous slam against the nay-sayers is encapsulated here in this glass of hearty brew! And why not? What else is life for? ...oh, there are other things, I am sure, but they can wait...

4.58/5  rDev +12%

OKAY! This may be deleted, but it is a NEW and DIFFERENT growler tasting from a Grandall infused growler with Centennial Hops from Greens at Piney Grove in Columbia, SC.

A: Slightly hazy, dark amber with a light tan head that remains for a good while. Moderate lacing this time.

S: Mostly sweet malts. Some ever so mild citrus, maybe pineaple.

T&M: Floral hops are fluffy up front with a more balanced malt character than my previous review. Still sweet throughout, but incredibally hoppy all the way through as well. Alcohol is well masked throughout! Medium to heavy bodied that still has semi-dry finish with an oily hop feel.

THIS STUFF IS INCREDIBLE. Compared to my first review, this is a totally different beer with the infusion of Centennial Hops. NOW THIS IS A DIPA!!!!

Great job to Joseph at Green's for thinking this thing through!

4.57/5  rDev +11.7%

On Cask at Tylers in Durham.

Appearance- Cloudy reddish orange, two finger thick creamy head. Nice lacing and impressive stick all the way down to my last sip.

Smell- Nice array of tropical fruits. Pineapple,papaya,and grapefruit. Sweet malts also making thier presence known. Spicy ethanol also in the background. Makes me immediatly want to consume this beer.

Taste- Caramel,juicy resenous grapefruit hops. Bitterness follows thru, but not overbearing. Finishes with some sweet malt flavors and lingering fruity hop flavors. So complex it feels like it's not far from barleywine territory.

Mouthfeel- Might be the cask, but this is ultra creamy. As expected with cask, the carbonation is on the lower side. This stuff is sublime on my palate.

Drinkability- This is way too easy to drink period. The strength of this beer is extremely well hidden, letting the complexity of the Hops and Malts take center stage. If planning on consuming more than two of these, one should plan on spending the rest of the night in a recumbent position at home. Yeah seeing double, yup.-Sorry

Another great beer by Foothills brewing. This one is shouldn't be overshadowed by it's Sexual Chocolate counterpart.

Highly recommended.

*This would be an interesting beer to cellar for a few years. Foothills please start bottling this stuff!

4.57/5  rDev +11.7%

Deep amber colored with a sizable eggshell white head that retains and sticks well, leaving plenty of crusty lace.

Aroma is fantastic, toasty caramel and honey malts with gobs of sticky grapefruit, orange, floral, and crushed pine needles. A sweet perfume of hops.

Flavor starts with generous carapils and two-row malt flavors which are quickly washed over by a tide of intense citrus, tangerine, flower petal, and oozing pine sap hops. Very nicely balanced for an IIPA. Infinately drinkable with no trace of alcoholic heat.

Body is full, syruppy, and dense, with a creamy mouthfeel and silky texture. Glad to see such a fine product come from NC!

4.54/5  rDev +11%

This arrived in a 10 oz glass, and the deep copper color is just beautiful - deep golden orange with a bit of cloudiness. The aroma is sweet and strong with citrus (grapefruit, specifically!), and the flavor is a warm, sweet nectar. There is a small hint of carmel and alcohol-soaked fruit, but piney hops overpower and fill the mouth. I absolutely love this exemplary double IPA.

4.52/5  rDev +10.5%

served in a chalice, o hell yeah, and brought to me on the patio at the ba sc release, this gem of a double ipa was consumed on 08/27/2010.

the pour is a deep, deep, orange color with a nice and smooth round head of white on top and very hazy and cloudy body, awesome.

aroma is a deep resin filled hops and a wonderfully sweet candied sugar nose that just hits you perfectly. so thick and really full, this easily had the most perfect feel for a big double i have ever seen. one of the standouts for sure. deep resin filled flavor as each sip starts with a rush of pine sap and orange and finishes with a blinding amount of beautiful candied sugar. super dry finish and a warmth from the alcohol make the whole trip worth it.

one of the best regional ipas out there, no questions ask. go try this immediatly, do not pass go and go get it!

On tap at the Village Draft House

Arrived a hazy orange with a thin lacing of head. Smell is floral hops and fruity alcohol esters. Taste is an initial mild, sweet maltiness followed by good amount of floral, fruity hops. Very well balanced. As the beer warms the alcohol adds warmth to the finish and is a nice compliment to the malts and hops. Mild carbonation; medium to full bodied. This beer is dangerously drinkable at 9.5%.

One of my favorite DIPAs especially within NC. I really look forward to the day that Foothills begins to bottle regularly and expand their distribution. Any IPA fan needs to try this.

4.5/5  rDev +10%

Thanks to LOKI for this one.

Pours a nice copper color, the head is about two inches thick, its off white / almost tan in color, it falls to a ring and top coating that leaves moderate lacing. I thought Id see some floaties in this but its pretty clear, there is a steady stream of small lazy bubbles rising up.

The aroma is hop forward, there are scents of orange, lemon, pine forest, pineapple, and hints of burnt caramel.

The first thing I taste is lemon drops, there are flavors of lemon, lime, orange, pineapple, and pepper.

The medium body supports the flavor. There is a large dose of fizzy carbonation. It is warm and slightly sticky on my tongue.

Very drunkable! They need to bottle and distribute this shit. What a hidden gem. A near perfect beer.

4.5/5  rDev +10%

Served on-tap at Foothills Brewery in Winston-Salem, NC during the 2010 Sexual Chocolate release into a Foothills Brewing Signature glass at the appropriate temperature (02/05/10).

A: Pours a hazy and glowing, dark, golden, amber with a beautiful rich, orange hue. Capped with 1.5 fingers of an off-white with decent retention leaving patchy lace.

S: Fresh aroma of grapefruit and pine with note of citrus and some tropical fruit. Really intense hop profile quite similar to very fresh Weyerbacher Double Simcoe.

T: The taste follows the nose with some intense pine and citrus hops with a wonderful degree of bitterness that coats the entire palate without be overly harsh. The malt backbone is quite rich as will with layers of caramel and toffee.

M: Full-bodied with moderate creamy carbonation and slight slick characteristic. I really enjoyed the bitterness from this one.

D: Extremely drinkable and if it were available locally I would drink this frequently.

Overall I must say that is an exceptional DIPA from Foothills and one that deserves great praise. Highly Recommended.

4.5/5  rDev +10%

Enjoyed at the Greenville Pop The Cap SC gathering on 12.09.06 in Greenville, South Carolina.

Thick, pillowy head sat firmly atop this beauty. Good, legit lacing along the sides of the glass, all the way through this pint. Great esthers of citrus, piney goodness and freshly milled grains. The balance is the crucial part of this brew, for sure. The aromas were so enticing, to be sure. Big and luscious on the tongue. The balance, again with the balance, with this brew on the palate is amazing. Fantastic hop profile. The hops linger for a good while, which is not a derrogatory comment, as some DIPAs can be almost annoying in their mouthfeel. Not so here. Almost perfectly clean on the finish.

The drinkability and overall enjoyability of this brew are incredible. I am very anxious to visit Foothills in Winston-Salem and consume this one vom Fass...

Well done.

Leben ist gut.

4.47/5  rDev +9.3%

Draught at Brixx in Chapel Hill.

I want to give this an A+, it was so close.... the smell was perfectly citrusy-piney, first swallow seems perfect, but I would have preferred more carbonation, and then the finish has much too pronounced alcohol, and the malt lingers.... so close, but still excellent, as everything that I have had from Foothills is.

on-tap at Pandora's Pies

Appearance is a slightly cloudy amber/orange. Head was small (bartender's pour?) and white and receded into a ring. Some lacing at the top. Smell, oh my the smell, is primarily of citrusy orange hops but also features some nice floral hops. Malt sweetness also makes an appearance in the nose. Taste is of strong yet refreshing tangerine/orange citrus hops and a hint of floral hops backed by a sweet malt strong enough for the hops yet surprisingly mellow. Finishes with some moderate IPA bitterness. Mouthfeel is medium weight and body with a slight alcohol burn and some mouth coating hop oils.

Very good DIPA that is remarkably similar to 90min. Hides its alcohol quite well, only Hopslam defeats it in that regard. Best NC DIPA I've had and something I would order again in a heartbeat.

4.47/5  rDev +9.3%

The beer arrived on the table a hazy medium amber with a low slight head which barely laced the glass.

The aroma was malty with a strong caramel presence and a citrusy hop punch. The aroma contained grapefruit character and was resinous and piney.

The flavor was strong caramel malt with well accomplished bittering. The citrusy hops were well done and the palate was teased with the pine and resin flavors. The malt and hop balance was nicely done.

The finish was just dry with lasting bittering long and pleasantly into the aftertaste. The body was just on the verge of being full and the mouthfeel was very creamy. A darn nice beer!

Pint at Westville Pub in Asheville.

4.47/5  rDev +9.3%

This brew just made it on tap the day I went to Mellow Mushroom pizza house. Ordered it, impressed with the appearance. A clouded, semi-opaque earthy amber brew with a cream colored head, left a good amount of lacing around the pint glass. The aroma was subtle, masking the 9.5% abv well. Hops slightly prevalent, with fruity notes of apricot and apple.

The taste was hops all the way, with slight hints of nut and berry. Again, the alcoholic content was well hidden. The mouthfeel was pleasant and smooth at first, but the hoppy aftertaste was strong and lingered a bit too long for my liking. The beer was very drinkable alongside my pizza, although I couldn't imagine having more than two of these double IPA's.

4.46/5  rDev +9%

I am an IPA fanboy. This is my current premium fave. This is beautiful beer with a wonderful deep honey color and white foamy head. There is a hoppy, mashy smell to it. The taste is strong and hoppy with citrus undertones and a honey sweetness but just a hint and a high alcohol tinge. The mouthfeel is warm, full bodied, thick (honey and clover again) and there is to me a slight but good burn to it. The drinkability is good but not great. I love drinking this beer but it is STRONG and will mess you up. I try to save this one for the last of the night and not have more than 2. I have tried a million IPA's and most all are good. This is great. There is supposedly a limited run of this beer put up in Pappy Van Winkle bourbon casks. If that beer was a guitar amp, it would go to 11.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

poured a mostly clear, orangey-dark amber with a one finger white head leaving a great looking silky lace on the sides of the glass. aroma was slightly floral, but had plenty of citrus and pine notes and a touch of earthy grain. flavor was a well balanced mix of citrus sweetness up front, followed by the caramel sweetness and finishing with lingering pine resin bitterness. this was not the hop bomb of a IIPA which have become so common. if not for the 9.5% abv, which was well hidden btw, this would be very sessionable. a very enjoyable beer!

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Appearance: orange in color with a short 1/2" head that breaks down to a spotty surface foam.

Smell: loads of hop presence here. Caramel, citrus, and some pine rise from the glass and into the nose.

Taste: big caramel flavors with loads of orange and pineapple citrus. Bitterness is very bold but not overpowering at all. Alcohol is very well hidden here.

Mouthfeel: medium-heavy in body. Lightly crisp to start, smoother and dry at the finish. Long lasting bitterness here.

Overall: this was very easy to quaff despite the high alcohol level. Nicely refreshing for any hophead looking for double IPA fix. Great beer.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Pours a reddish gold with little head or lacing. Smells of fresh fruit...definately some pear notes, grapes and possibly strawberry. Taste is not overly hoppy but very good nonetheless. Slightly watery but could just be this particular batch because it is very feint. Mouthfeel is smooth and crisp with the sharpness of the hops at the end. Overall an excellent IPA. I will be visiting NC more often!

Seeing Double IPA from Foothills Brewing Company - Downtown Brewpub