Seeing Double IPA - Foothills Brewing Company

Seeing Double IPASeeing Double IPA

Foothills Brewing Company visit their website
North Carolina, United States

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 10-09-2005)
4.43/5  rDev +9.1%

Had this on tap at the brewpub. Came out a hazy deep gold with a big frothy white head on top. Retention was superb, and there was perfect rings around the glass for every sip. Beautiful. Smells of grapefruity citrus, floral tones, and warm bread. This is very inviting.

Mouthfeel is crisp and firm for this style. This is a total citrusy hop bomb! Huge grapefruit bitterness followed by a mellow sweetness that is absolutely wonderful. Nice tart zest in there as well. This is not boozy in the least. Perfectly sweet with no harshness present at all. Freaking excellent. Drinkability is very high, which is dangerous at this ABV. This is one of the best DIPAs I have ever had. Absolutely recommend.

Onenote81, May 20, 2009
3.9/5  rDev -3.9%

Poured from a growler into nonic pint glass.

My first growler experience!

A - Hazy amber with about 2-3 fingers of off white head. Moderate retention with decent lacing.

S - Lots of pine here, with a bready, almost caramel-like backbone. Salty grapefruit peel creeps in on the corners. A little muted.

T - A good deal of pine hits upfront mingled with sweetish malt with touches of caramel and small hints of fruit. Mid palate the sweetness takes a quick dive and gives way to moderate/strong notes of grapefruit and a touch of lemon. Some saltiness hits as the brew dries out and bitterness grows to a moderate to high level. Earthy undertones with lingering grapefruit wrap up the finish and carry for several minutes into the aftertaste.

M - Medium to full bodied with a bit of chewiness. Carbonation is moderate to low. Standard and solid for the style.

D - A decent DIPA but in the realm of standard fare. Always good to drink local though! Certainly worth a try for anyone in the area.

PatrickJR, May 07, 2009
4.7/5  rDev +15.8%

Sample at DLD '09 thanks to a growler brought by ROBORB and his friend Trevor, whom I'm not sure whether he has a BA username. 3-4oz poured into a plastic cup.

A - amber color with a slight pillowy head.

S - grapefruit, pineapple, piney hops. I didn't notice any of the malt flavor that was to come, but given my experiences with DIPAs, I wasn't expecting any.

T - whoa. that's a lot of hops. this is also the very first time EVER that I have been able to taste malt in a DIPA. caramel malt followed by a very hoppy finish (citrus and pine) with a very, very bitter finish. it seemed more bitter than Arrogant Bastard. very, very good.

M - medium bodied with a sticky, syrupy feel. it coats the mouth and beauty of the flavor reaches every crevice, nook and cranny of the mouth.

D - I do not like DIPAs, but THIS is a good beer. I would love to have some more of this.

bowersdm, Apr 27, 2009
4.03/5  rDev -0.7%

Poured via growler into Imperial pint on 4/22/09. Thanks to dashirey for producing this for me during a recent trip to the south.

A - Poured a clear amber/orange body with mammoth cap of beige foam that stood three fingers tall that settled to about a quarter inch of retention and left swatches of thick lacing. Additionally, a nice cascade of tiny carbonation bubbles is present.

S - Citrusy and spicy nose with hints of pepper. The aroma actually becomes a veritable potpourri of hops after it warms up a bit and expands to include herbal, piney and earthy notes as well. A waft of alcohol mingles with the assertive hop character. Some sweet caramel malt offers a touch of balance to this hop-forward DIPA.

T - Quite a complex hop profile with spicy, peppery notes, plenty of citrus character and some grassy, leafy qualities as well. Definitely lots going on here. Some sweet caramel malt pushes its way through, as does a mild alcohol presence. Finishes with a grainy malt aspect and a tinge of earthy hop bitterness.

M - Medium to full bodied for a DIPA with a pretty sticky, syrupy texture and some residual hop oils. Moderately carbonated mouthfeel. Finishes with lingering bitterness and some alcohol warmth on the palate.

D - This one took a while, but it grew on me with each passing sip. Seeing Double features a complex hop profile with a bold hop character that should keep the hopheads coming back for more.

ffejherb, Apr 23, 2009
4.15/5  rDev +2.2%

Just received a fresh growler of Seeing Double IPA today from dashirey in the most recent round of GatM. Couldn't be a better day to drink a nice IIPA.

A: Poured a rich copper/amber/orange with an overflowing head layer. My glass is topped with this off-white two-finger foam that fades to patch thick lacing in just a minute or two.
S: Floral hops, but nose is subtle.
T: Malty, but continued hops are present. A citrus flavor comes through mid to end of drink. Almost taste a bit of apples.
M: Great balance. Smooth and delicious. Richness usually found in better stouts.
D: Mmmm! Highly drinkable. Delicious East Coast IIPA. I am more used to the West Coast style, but definately appreciate the point of view from across the country.

d0ggnate, Apr 22, 2009

Sampled this on tap at Foothills in Winston Salem, NC.

A - A deep golden with a haze and a small beige head. Some lacing.

S - An even balance of citrusy hops and toasted malt.

T - Very rich with a firm balance of alcohol, hops and malt. Not as much flavor as I'd expected but that may have been due to the temperature. They served it too cold for such a quality ale.

M - Thick and creamy with a low carbonation. Very nice.

D - I was really looking forward to this and while it was good, it was a bit tame given the name. Serving it a bit warmer might just be all it needs.

GJ40, Apr 20, 2009
4.33/5  rDev +6.7%

Poured into a 10oz Foothills glass, at Foothills.

Appearance: A hazy orange-amber, with a thin layer of white head that subsided fairly quickly. Minimal lacing.

Smell: Intensely strong grassy and pine notes. Fairly one-dimensional in terms of smell, but in a good way.

Taste: Intensely bitter from the hops. Grass and pine dominate, and linger throughout the entire sip. There is a noticeable bready/honey sweetness from the malt in the background, but it is just present enough to provide a backbone for the hops, without taking command. The bitterness lingers into the aftertaste, and well after each sip is complete. The malt is definitely there, but to the point where it just complements the hop bitterness. One of the more bitter DIPAs I've ever had.

Mouthfeel: Heavily carbonated, which provides a nice bite. Decently thick.

Drinkability: Despite the extreme bitterness, it's so good that it's very easy to drink. One of my favorite IPAs, where the hops dominate and the malt is just noticeable enough to prevent the beer from coming hop-flavored water. Excellent beer.

StarlightSeraph, Mar 26, 2009
4.35/5  rDev +7.1%

Thanks to Loki for the opportunity.

Pours hazy coppery amber. A thick off-white head billows up and falls over a minute or two into a thick cap. Prominent sheets of lace.
Aroma is heavy hops, citrus, pine. A bit of floral and sweetness behind there.
Flavor is again, big hops, citrus and pine. A hefty malt backbone supports the bitterness, sweet honey/caramel, with a bit of burnt sugar. The finish has a lasting crisp bitterness, but is also a bit sweeter than I expect from a DIPA, but I like it!
Medium body with an resinous feel. A nice moderate amount of carbonation.

This is a very tasty DIPA. Huge hop presence, but suitably balanced by the malt. Some folks might find it too sweet but I find it delicious.

goatgoat, Mar 19, 2009
3.83/5  rDev -5.7%

This one is amber, almost copper, colored, with a decent sized head that fades quickly. Very little lacing at all. Quite a bit dark for a DIPA, looks a lot more like a barleywine, and it comes through a bit like a barleywine throughout, which affects my thoughts about the rest. I suppose I'll voice my expectations for a DIPA mainly on appearance, because the rest was nice, just not the right color for a DIPA at all. The smell is very nice. A tiny bit of sweetness underlies pungent, resinous hops. You can tell that these are all high alpha acid. There could be a touch more of the citrus hop presence and a bit more tropical fruitiness, but its all there. The taste is nice. One of the most successfully balanced DIPAs I've encountered, even at well over 100 IBUs. There's a sticky resinous quality which is subdued under malty sweetness (dare I suggest a bready taste with a chocolatey sweetness in a traditionally dry and unbalanced style?) and a bit of hop fruitiness. There's even a hint of citrus peel in there, with a bit of a lemon-lime taste. The alcohol is present and warming, but doesn't burn. The mouthfeel is nice. Very full, and not just of hops. The alcohol interrupts just enough to knock it back from a 5. And it drinks well. It's not the easiest, though it goes quickly easrly, but I enjoyed it. A very interesting take on the style.

taylorhamrick, Mar 01, 2009
4.68/5  rDev +15.3%

Growler purchased at the Sexual Chocolate release. Poured into a Sierra Nevada Hop Tuilp glass. Split with my friend.

A: Pours a light copper color with a HUGE pillowy off-white head that was more than 3 or 4 fingers. Excellent retention throughout with very good lacing. One of the best overall presentations I have seen in the style.

S: Surprisingly a nice caramel malt aroma seems to be the most prevalent in the nose. Piney hop aroma mixed in with it makes for a nice blended aroma.

T: The initial flavor is sweet and matches the aroma. However, the finish is very hoppy and bitter. The main hop flavor for me is a load of pine flavor. A little bit of a grassy hop flavor mixed in with good measure. This is one of the hoppiest DIPAs I have had that could still be called balanced due to the excellent malt backbone. I would give it a 5 here, but I have had citrus hop flavored IPAs in the style that I prefer.

M: Nice and thick for an IPA. The in mouth carbonation level is perfection. I could sit and roll it around in my mouth for minutes before swallowing. However, you want to swallow it too since it tastes so good and the hops are really dominate in the finish.

D: I have used balanced for DIPAs before. This one is so smooth and easy drinking for the ABV it is scary. I am glad I split the growler with my friend, or I might not be able to go to work in the morning.

I was lucky enough to drink the 2008 version of Sexual Chocolate while at the release and it was very very good. I have to say, I like this beer more. It is a truly fantastic DIPA.

GatorBeerNerd, Feb 18, 2009
4.38/5  rDev +7.9%

Wow! Many thanks to Loki for fullfilling a want and sending me this growler during Growling at the Moon: Growlerhog Edition.

The pour confirmed that this growler made it from NC to CT with all precious contents intact. The head of this baby amassed to a good finger and half/two finger depth before slowly dissipating. The aroma is sweeter than I was prepared for, but not overpowering. The color, an enticing golden amber.

It is the taste and drinkability of this DIPA that really blows my mind. The mouthfeel is extremely smooth, the hops are not so bitter or in your face that the mouth puckers. The malt and semi sweet background of this really balances out the hop profile. Seriously 9.5%?? Wouldn't know it by taste alone! I have barely breached 1/4 gone since last night, so I can assure you tonight I will be seeing double. Game on!

naproxen, Feb 13, 2009
4.35/5  rDev +7.1%

As an extra treat at the Sexual Chocolate release, I picked up a growler of this to bring home. Its the very next day, and my wife is pairing it with a beef stew that works well with pale ales and IPAs, so this a very special treat to have so fresh. An aggressive pour yields a frothy off white head, about 1" thick, on top of beautiful copper colored ale. There is some nice lacing from the quickly descending head. The smell is a nice powerful punch of hops for sure, but mixed with some pine and citrus hints. Both the smell and look are impressive, especially for my personal favorite style. The taste does not let down either, a solid punch of hops just as the smell hinted at. This is a bitter DPA indeed, which helps mask some, but not all of the strong ABV. I have been sipping this first pour into a stemmed IPA glass, and am already feeling the warmth. I want another, but will have to take it slow, the ABV definitely comes through in the drinkability, and makes it a little tougher to swallow. Not a big negative, but about the only one I would offer.

bhalter8, Feb 08, 2009
4.22/5  rDev +3.9%

Growler in trade from ROBORB. Thanks for getting me this one! Pours a rich, hazy deep orange color with a long lived beige head that leaves a bit of lacing. Smell is creamy, earthy hops with some sticky caramel and toffee like sweetness. There definitely is some sweet and lighty hoppy citrus notes in there too. Not quite as hoppy as I expected, but enough to please. Taste is pretty smooth for a double IPA. Creamy caramel and toasty malt along with earthy, and slightly fruity hops with slightly creamy and bitter orange flavor. Really, pretty balanced and full bodied. Sticky, and a bit rich with normal to perhaps slightly soft carbonation. A bit more malty than many of my favorite DIPAs, but this has plenty of hops to balance, and goes down extremely easily and is quite enjoyable. No problem getting through most of a growler by myself, which is a rarity for me. Thanks again!!

JDV, Jan 22, 2009
3.85/5  rDev -5.2%

I visited Foothills last year with my wife and some friends who live in Winston-Salem. We had a great time so when I got this growler from khiasmus in the Growling at the Moon - Santa edition I was pretty excited. Thanks so much!

A - Copper colored with some amber hues in there too. The growler pours a good one finger of off white head. Lots of lacing left behind from this one.

S/T - Smell is dominated by sweetness from the malts. There is plenty of hops coming from this one too, specifically some citrus and pine. Lastly there is a hint of alcohol in the background too. Very good flavors that fall in line with the smell. Pine - citrus - then some alcohol with a strong malts beneath it all. I really liked the flavor overall.

M - Medium to full bodied mouth feel. As it warms the mouth feel becomes almost sticky.

D - Fairly easy drinking but gets more difficult as is really warms up, the alcohol after a few could become too much. My wife had one glass of the growler. I guess we'll see if I'll be "seeing-double" when I finish the growler later!!

dashirey, Jan 21, 2009

Seeing Double IPA, on tap at the Flying Saucer, Charlotte, NC. Served in a traditional American pint.

Appearance: Very slow effervescence floats up through the deep copper body of this one, eventually joining the one-finger of white, fluffy head. It has the opportunity to do this for quite some time, as the retention of the head is very nice, finally leaving big sticky sheets of lace after it departs this world, fine-bubbled, even, delicate.

Aroma: This one's very fruity, leaning more towards the tropical fruit end of the hop aroma spectrum rather than the citrus end, though these are accompanied by a handful of pleasant, slightly minty herbal notes and a fair amount of sweet, roasted malts that meld well with the various other aromas.

Taste: Moderate bitterness, and, similar to the aroma, lots of tropical fruit notes - pineapple comes to mind, and strawberry is definitely present high up on the spectrum. You also get the aforementioned mint, and - though its definitely secondary - more of that sweet, doughy, caramel malt.

Mouthfeel: Smooth and even, with a body of medium to above-medium thickness. It's both creamy but still crisp, and does a good job of balancing these characteristics.

Drinkability: My favorite style, and this is a solid interpretation. The alcohol, though high, is not prohibitively so, and well-hidden. On the other hand, though the flavors and aromas are pleasant and well-balanced, I didn't find them to be too well-rounded - perhaps I just prefer the citrusy/piney West Coast DIPAs. Regardless, it's still a very good beer, and comes recommended.

CrellMoset, Jan 08, 2009
4.6/5  rDev +13.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

Serving type- From tap poured into a pint glass. Had this on tap at Mellow Mushroom in Greensboro.

A- Pours a beautiful murky amber color with a small white lace that was present throughout the beer.

S- An aroma of caramel and malt that is followed by a citrus type hoppy finish. Strong presence of alcohol present as well, potnet but not overwhelming.

T- Beautiful tastes of bold and bitter hops and a very strong alcohol presence. This mellows out a little near the end when it finishes a little dry. Hints of caramle malt, and the citrus from the hops is in perfect balance.

I had the pleasure of originally tasting this beer at the local brews fest but since I only was able to obtain 4 ounce samples at a time I felt compelled to have this in a pint before reviewing it. I am not a big bar patron so when I can go to a eatery that serves great beer then I make it a point to get there. My only regret is that this beer is not available in bottles at my local beer shop. I love this beer and I am very happy with the fact that it is a local offering. My only hesitation with this beer is that because of its combination of flavor and strength this beer can be a deadly one. I had 2 last night during dinner and felt very good afterwards. This beer definately needs to be respected and appreciated. Please start bottling this stuff because I will be the first one in line.

cbros, Jan 06, 2009
4.25/5  rDev +4.7%

Decided to go to Foothills Brewing Company for a Sunday afternoon of football and sat right by the bar. Looked at the menu and saw this 9.5 ABV and wanted to give it a try.

Appearance: not super dark, but dark, typical of a DIPA. It was served in a small "double ipa glass" said Foothills and looked great in the small glass with an amber-brown color filled to the brim. Not a significant head.

Smell: It smelled heavy. Like dark malt and a bit of citrus.

Taste: Very good DIPA. Taste like the smell with a nice aftertaste of malt after the initial citrusy taste.

Mouthfeel: Very smooth beer with a bite at the first tasting and then a smooth finish from the malt. Veyr good beer.

Drinkability: Just like ncbeermonger I had to switch it up to something less intense because I knew that I woul dbe feeling that ABV after two or more. Very good beer and I was somewhat suprised to see this at Foothills. I came in for the Sexual Chocolate and believe I got more than I expected for. The Sexual Chocolate wasn't on tap but this beer was a gem during a nice little football session!

ruck304, Nov 26, 2008
4.33/5  rDev +6.7%

Mega-thanks to Broha drunkmonk for this one!!!

Pours an ever so slightly hazy rich amber color with a full finger foamy off white head that resists fading...spotty patterns of Belgian lacing left behind. The smell, scoring points for complexity, is aggressive and unique. The nose immediately suggests a strong grassy pine hop character with significant grainy roasted malt notes. Lightly carbonated, the mouth feel is medium bodied and over the top tangy. The piny resin taste is complimented by roasted malt and fruity orange-tangerine background flavors; once again..not your father's DIPA. The hop resin character is strong and lingers well into the aftertaste. There is no way you're going to sense the 9.5% ABV over the nose and pronounced flavors...but it will kick @$$!!! Exactly what the doctor ordered!!

jjayjaye, Nov 14, 2008
4.33/5  rDev +6.7%

Thanks to Deuane for this Howlin at the Moon October growler!
Pours a nice rich amber/brown. Very dark with just a bit of off white head that leaves just a little lace.
Smells of lush citrus hops and some nice dark malt.
Taste is very smooth and rich. Lots of malt sweetness at first followed by a lingering slightly tingly hop finish. This changes drastically as it warms. It becomes much darker and almost choclatey. There's some mild spice hops too. Mild carbonation level with a dense mouthfeel.
Very nice to sip slowly.

kirok1999, Sep 27, 2008
4.15/5  rDev +2.2%

Poured a deep orange amber with a pinky of foamy off-white head. Great sticky lacing from a good bit of retention. Smells a little weaker than some other DIPAs, but you can note the citrus, pine, and caramel. Tastes of pineapple and grapefruit up front, followed by caramel, biscuit, and toasted grains. Finishes with a good burst of pine and grassy notes along with just a bit of alcohol. Medium in body with nice full carbonation, very sweet and malty, but still bitter and sticky. Packed with flavor and easy to drink, I wouldn't mind having this as a staple DIPA.

HopDerek, Sep 04, 2008
4.05/5  rDev -0.2%

On tap at the brewpub. Served in a cute little logoed 10 oz glass.

Pours a hazy golden amber with a nice looking dollop of creamy off-white head on top. Retains very nicely from this and laces well too. The aroma is a mix of citrus notes and piney malts that are enveloped in a hefty malt sweetness. Just a a smidge of heat is present as well.

The taste is a nice piney hop bite up front leading into a grainy feeling malty sweetness and prominant twang of citrus character. Fininshes bitter and dry. The mouthfeel is medium bodied with a good beefy feel from all the thick malts and heat.

A solid DIPA from Foothills. Maybe a bit more malt heavy than I usually like in the style but it still posessed a nice amount of hops and citrus character mixed in. Drinkibility was good as well, although I think that a 10 oz serving of this was about perfect.

Kegatron, Jul 10, 2008
4.03/5  rDev -0.7%

On draft at Tyler's in Durham;

Foothills DIPA arrives in a shaker pint with a deep red-copper body capped with a thin finger of foam that leaves thin patches of lacing on the glass.

Smell is hoppy, ripping fresh and resinous.

Taste is... is... well where did all the hops in the nose go? This thing is a caramel-coated, lightly spicy malt missile. Honey and molasses with brown sugar flavors are unchallenged by a wimpy whiff of pine that contributes bitterness, but not much flavor. A bit of grapefruit appears late in the drink.

Way too sweet, thick, virtually uncarbonated and syrupy.

Edit: Had this fresher at Tyler's in Carrboro, and the hops really shone brightly! Orange, lemon, grapefruit... kicking ass on that same caramel/silk backbone...Awesome, and worth a Taste score boost!

cvstrickland, Jun 30, 2008
4.28/5  rDev +5.4%

Growler was courtesy of drunkmonk. Thanks Joel!

A good looking copper appearance with a fair amount of lacing. The aroma consists of soft pine, white grapefruit, and sweet malt. Real solid in taste. A nice balance of semi sweet carmel and slightly bitter grapefruit. The flavor is lasting, coats your mouth, hangs around a bit. Mouth feel is smooth and resiny. This is one easy drinking DIPA! I found this growler very enjoyable from start to finish. The high ABV is hidden too well, barely noticeable. Extremely glad I had the opportunity. Recommended!

DavidEddie, Jun 15, 2008
4.28/5  rDev +5.4%

Pours a amber color nice rd highlights with small off white head no doubt do to bar pour to minimize head.

Aroma is nice fruity citrus dominates a nice malty sweet base.

Taste is wow big citrus bites your taste buds nice bitter fruitiness puckers your mouth. Not to worry a big malt base kicks in providing a sweet flavor to bring your tongue back around. Some alcohol becomes evident as it warms but nothing to distract from this wonderful brew.

Mouthfeel is nice big almost full very nice body with good medium carbonation.

Drinkability is good if I could get this on tap at home it would be a regular choice.

mntlover, May 25, 2008
3.88/5  rDev -4.4%

Had this on tap at the Flying Saucer, Raleigh NC, on 18 May 2008.

Appearance: Solid amber base color with a cherry hue throughout. No head.

Aroma: The strong grapefruit scent and citrus accents from this brew prepares the palate and mind for a great double IPA.

Taste: Upon the first sip my mouth was overwhelmed by a tidal wave of hops, beginning with great bitter, earthy hops and finishing with the citrus hops found in the aroma. A big bitter lemony thick malty brew. Burns the mouth with hops...in a good way.

Mouthfeel: Syrupy, as expected. Good mouthfeel.

Drinkability: I enjoyed this from start to finish.

drinksandeats, May 21, 2008