Gruffmeister 8 - Foothills Brewing Company

Foothills Brewing Company visit their website
North Carolina, United States

Maibock / Helles Bock |  8.00% ABV

Availability: Spring

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 03-02-2006)
3.48/5  rDev -4.1%

3.52/5  rDev -3%

3.8/5  rDev +4.7%

3.5/5  rDev -3.6%

Biscuity and bready with a slightly hoppy end. Can taste the alcohol. Is slightly above average for the style. Would not pass this up, but would not rush out to get it.

4.35/5  rDev +19.8%

2.75/5  rDev -24.2%

3.45/5  rDev -5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Maybe my numbers are lower because overall this beer is not my favorite, but its not a bad beer. I have never had a Maibock before. Its more of a lager to me, its an alcoholic lager. But you really don't taste the booze that much. Its a good solid lager, really better than most. You can taste some hops in taste but its really a more flavorful lager. Maybe that is how the style is supposed to taste. I really don't know since this is the first of the style for me. Don't get me wrong I liked it, but it was not close to being my favorite beer. I am not sure if I have found that one yet! Practice is all I can say.

Appearance: Golden hay. A good lager color.

Smell: Not much going on some malts, not hoppy, a little boozy.

Taste: Solid lager, if it was the same price or even a few dollars more than Torch, I would buy it more often.

Overall: Good beer, will I seek it out again, probably not, unless I see it on sale somewhere or I am at a bar that is running a tap special.

3.33/5  rDev -8.3%
look: 3 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

Poured into a pint glass out of a 22oz bomber.

Pours a clear medium gold with a thin half finger white head. Really good head but lacing is nearly nonexistent.

Aroma has fairly heavy notes of caramel and toast along with a fairly assertive grassy hop note. A whiff of alcohol comes through underneath.

The flavor is lighter on the caramel leaning more towards biscuit with hints of toast and cracker. Very slightly metallic but it is not distracting. Hops figure somewhat heavy in this brew but they are very subtle. Moderate to high bitterness throughout with some background grass and hay. It helps to balance out the comparatively high maltiness. This brew isn't' overly sweet, however, and has just a little stickiness on the finish.

Overall, for a style I am not particularly fond of I enjoy this beer. It is not too sweet and the alcohol is well hidden. Nice job by Foothills.

Gruffmeister 8 from Foothills Brewing Company