Gruffmeister 8 - Foothills Brewing Company

Foothills Brewing Company visit their website
North Carolina, United States

Maibock / Helles Bock |  8.00% ABV

Availability: Spring

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 03-02-2006)
2.75/5  rDev -24.2%

atrocity, Aug 07, 2014
2.88/5  rDev -20.7%

After a disappointing sample at the World Beer Fest in April, I hoped to opportunity to try this at Flying Saucer would be a better experience, I was wrong. The beer was served with no head whatsoever. It could have been Iced Tea for all I knew. The aroma was rather weak but present some malts. The taste was just off from what I've come to expect from the style and the alcohol only makes it harder to drink. This one was a huge disappointment and is a far cry from what I expect out of Foothills.

atsprings, Jul 14, 2007

mwbrady12, Jul 18, 2013

McAndrew, May 21, 2014
3.03/5  rDev -16.5%

Ordered on draft on a whim.
Deep clear gold with a small white head.
Aromas are bready and sweet. I actually do pick up the strawberries in the nose as the website says. The taste is sweet bready goodness with some... nevermind ALOT of alcohol presence and enough hops to clean it up a bit.
I did not realize this was 8% when ordered and the first few sips forced me to look up the ABV. I was actually disappointed the abv was so high. I wanted another, but at that percentage I will have to wait for another day to have this one again.

Update, I won't order this again, as it warms the alcohol gets way to be way too much in a harsh way. Down this while its ice cold and call it a night.

rtratzlaff, Jun 08, 2009
3.03/5  rDev -16.5%

First had: on tap at Foothills

Clearish copper-hued beer, with a small wispy white head. Aroma of toasted grains and corn sugar. Taste of biscuity malts, toasted grains, corn, lager yeast, light notes of fruity hops, some fusel alcohol. Light-medium body. Decent overall, but nothing really memorable.

Rifugium, May 31, 2013
3.1/5  rDev -14.6%

This beer was a slightly golden amber color. Not much smell. The taste was like a lightly hopped light beer. A little watery in the mouthfeel. The drinkability was the only high point for this beer. It was fairly smooth. I would drink it again but not if there was other choices.

Enola, Mar 26, 2006

aleckpa, Jun 21, 2014

Canada_Dan, Jul 28, 2014

Dave_Treat, Jun 07, 2014
3.33/5  rDev -8.3%

Poured into a pint glass out of a 22oz bomber.

Pours a clear medium gold with a thin half finger white head. Really good head but lacing is nearly nonexistent.

Aroma has fairly heavy notes of caramel and toast along with a fairly assertive grassy hop note. A whiff of alcohol comes through underneath.

The flavor is lighter on the caramel leaning more towards biscuit with hints of toast and cracker. Very slightly metallic but it is not distracting. Hops figure somewhat heavy in this brew but they are very subtle. Moderate to high bitterness throughout with some background grass and hay. It helps to balance out the comparatively high maltiness. This brew isn't' overly sweet, however, and has just a little stickiness on the finish.

Overall, for a style I am not particularly fond of I enjoy this beer. It is not too sweet and the alcohol is well hidden. Nice job by Foothills.

rangerred, Jun 06, 2014
3.35/5  rDev -7.7%

Golden pour with nice fluffy head, gives way to thin wispy lace. Pear, green apple and some bubble gum aromas blend with caramel and toffe malts. All the same flavors along with some clove, bannana, and some spicy ethanol. A kiss of honey like flavor lingers on the finish. Hops riding way back, are there just to keep the sweet malts from becomming cloying. Some light ethanol warming felt in the throat by mid glass, other wise the 8% is fairly well integrated here. Mouthfeel is light, crisp and refreshing. This is nice easy drinker. Proceed with caution. Well done.

drunkmonk, Jun 22, 2008
3.4/5  rDev -6.3%

On tap at Wine 101 in Wake Forest

A - dark copper; no head

S - alcohol, lager yeast, grains

T - alcohol, corn flakes, grains

M - Crisp, smooth, warm, medium bodied

This is a rather disappointing beer. The alcohol overpowered the other flavors. The warmth diminished most of the flavor and mouthfeel. And there was a very odd, grainy character throughout that I felt was out of place. Still it's Foothills and I'll try everything from them I can.

tdm168, Jun 07, 2012
3.45/5  rDev -5%

Maybe my numbers are lower because overall this beer is not my favorite, but its not a bad beer. I have never had a Maibock before. Its more of a lager to me, its an alcoholic lager. But you really don't taste the booze that much. Its a good solid lager, really better than most. You can taste some hops in taste but its really a more flavorful lager. Maybe that is how the style is supposed to taste. I really don't know since this is the first of the style for me. Don't get me wrong I liked it, but it was not close to being my favorite beer. I am not sure if I have found that one yet! Practice is all I can say.

Appearance: Golden hay. A good lager color.

Smell: Not much going on some malts, not hoppy, a little boozy.

Taste: Solid lager, if it was the same price or even a few dollars more than Torch, I would buy it more often.

Overall: Good beer, will I seek it out again, probably not, unless I see it on sale somewhere or I am at a bar that is running a tap special.

humuloner22, Jul 03, 2014
3.45/5  rDev -5%

Poured from a growler obtained last week into an imperial pint glass. Very small head turns into a collar. No lacing left.

Strange sort of rubber aroma wafts from the top of the glass into my nose. Earthy tones. Not much hop aroma. Not much else.

Taste is average. Nice hop bitterness. The hops come out pretty strong in the taste of this one.

Clean and crisp. Medium body. A nice beer. Maibock is a unique style that I really enjoy. This one is pretty good compared to others I have had but certainly not the best.

SaCkErZ9, Mar 26, 2006
3.48/5  rDev -4.1%

Had this on tap for lunch at the brewpub.

Came out a deep hazy goldish orange with about an inch's worth of white head on top. Retention was weak, but left some nice pretty lacing. Smells of grains, honey, and booze.

Mouthfeel was crisp and bubbly, but not overly so. Classic Foothills. This beer is hot! Huge alcohol presence that masks most all flavors. I'm getting some faint grainy biscuits, and a slight bitter finish, but this is all booze. The 8% is not hidden well. There's a drying sweetness that coats the mouth at the end as well. This is different and not what I expected. With such high alcohol, this is one and done for me.

Onenote81, Jun 12, 2009

Kegatron, Jun 05, 2014

JasonTaverner, Aug 10, 2014

SlowWideTurns, May 20, 2012

bacher468, Jun 29, 2014

Bcarson7287, Jul 12, 2013
3.54/5  rDev -2.5%

Poured from a bomber into a shaker pint, the beer is a bright, honey-gold coloring with a tall, frothy, foamy, white head and a steady flow of carbonation throughout the body. Aromas of baked bread, cut grass, pepper, floral highlights, and subtle mossy notes. Very earthy aromas. Flavors are roasted and sweet forward, with notes of buttered toast, toasted grains, earthy characteristics, oregano, cut grass, and subtle notes of caramel sweetness. Smooth and light in mouth, with an aftertaste that is sweet and has grassy highlights. There is also a slight warmth building as you drink; don't take this brew lightly. The finish has a grassy and slightly hopped linger on an otherwise slick, smooth transition across the palate.

GarthDanielson, May 18, 2014
3.55/5  rDev -2.2%

Had on-tap at the brewery.
The color of a copper kettle with a thin head and little lacing. Nice coloration.
Had to sniff hard for the aroma. Mild fruity aromas but I couldn't find anything else.
Lot's more going on in the flavor. Golden Delicious apples. Yummmm!!!! Sweet and fruity. Alcohol kick in the end.
Very thin mouthfeel for an 8% beer. This makes the beer feel lighter and I swear I thought it was no more than 5%.
It's good. It's drinkable. It's also a style I'm not familiar with and probably don't fully appreciate.

wcudwight, Feb 03, 2008
3.68/5  rDev +1.4%

Clear golden with a thin head.

Smell not very strong, malty and a bit bready.

Taste has a certain complexity to it. Bread, honey, green apple, caramel, and a hoppy finish. Alcohol was not noticeable in the taste, I was shocked that this was 8%, but I guess that explains why I was feeling it towards the bottom of the pint.

Mouthfeel smooth and refreshing.

A good effort here from Foothills; I wasn't blown away, but it went very well with a burger.

Strix, Jul 17, 2008
3.68/5  rDev +1.4%

Reviewed on 06/22/2009. I had this on draft. This beer pours a clear orange with a white head. The aroma is of wheat and sweet malt. The flavor is predominantly caramel malt with a sweet finish. Pretty decent and a refreshing beer. I thought this was a nice maibock.

LilBeerDoctor, Jul 14, 2009