2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Sexual Chocolate - Foothills Brewing Company

Sexual ChocolateSexual Chocolate

Foothills Brewing Company visit their website
North Carolina, United States

Russian Imperial Stout |  9.75% ABV

(Beer added by: SaCkErZ9 on 02-15-2007)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers
Ratings: 903 | Reviews: 421 | Show All Ratings:
deltatauhobbit

Maine

Large props to ahatcher78's LIF for giving me the chance to try this beer.

Wow, I'm not usually one to give into hype, but with this beer it's not hype if it can be backed up. Seriously delicious, the first beer I've had that deserves the complete 5 rating.

Bottle 365/500

Pours a jet black color with tons of tan head, very creamy head with great retention and patchy lacing, held up to the light and couldn't get anything to shine through.

Smell is dark roasted malt with heavy chocolate and coffee undertones.

Taste is incredibly smooth and creamy, can't even tell that it's 10% because of the creaminess, taste is heavy with roasted malt, chocolate and coffee, for some reason it almost tastes like it was bourbon aged slightly as there's some interesting aspects coming out when it's warmed, chocolate obviously takes the cake, mmmm.

Reminds me almost of a milk/sweet stout because it's so drinkable, I found that I downed half a pint of it faster than normal (a good sign because I can't get enough of it and the strength isn't noticeable at all), for a RIS it's quite subtle compared to some others I've had (doesn't try to pound flavors down your throat) and the chocolate is quite complementary even when it's in the forefront of taste.

Once again, thanks to ahatcher78 for a beer I probably had no chance of trying.

04-24-2008 22:48:49 | More by deltatauhobbit
jamiesessions

South Carolina

My first ever growler, and what a pleasure it was! Deep black colour that reminds me of midnight mixed with space. It has a nice looking head that hangs around and a wonderful lace. Smells strongly of chocolate (obviously) and to lesser extent coffee. A powerful, and pleasant aroma that makes my mouth watcher for the first taste. The taste is everything I expected, a sweet chocolate with some coffee aftertaste as well, but the sweetness makes this a truly memorable experience. This also may be the best feeling beer I've ever had, in addition to the taste which also certainly up there as well. I still have a hard time believing that this is a 10% RIS, because our friends at Bud Light could use some education as to what true "drinkability" is. This may very well be one of the best beers i've ever had, and I'm already sad that my growler is gone and i'll have to wait to get another

Serving type: growler

11-14-2009 05:17:12 | More by jamiesessions
jpmclaug

4.93/5  rDev +19.4%

Draft pour into a snifter at Revolution Pizza in Charlotte

A - Black as night with a nice tan head that sticks around as long as the glass isn't empty.

S - Smells like roasted barley, a hint of coffee and ... dark chocolate!

T - Huge roasted malt flavors at first with loads of dark chocolate flavor at the end. Full of flavor from start to finish. Reminds me a lot of eating a piece of dark chocolate. The alcohol flavors are covered up real well and I love that about it.

M - Really smooth drinking beer. Medium to heavy body.

D - I really love this beer. The chocolate flavor is very pronounced, you can't taste the booze and it is easy to drink for such a bit stout. Easily the best dark beer I've ever had.

03-23-2010 02:28:49 | More by jpmclaug
HighestGravity

4.9/5  rDev +18.6%

It's a great stout. For being so strong it still drinks very well, and it also has many flavors buried within. The chocolate is very pronounced though well blended. I seldom can drink two pints of this type of beer, though I managed to do it with this one and I could definitely feel it. It's a very tasty beer with great drinkability, especially for the abv.

02-11-2008 20:02:05 | More by HighestGravity
DNICE555

Connecticut

4.9/5  rDev +18.6%

The label alone on this bottle got me to about 73 percent. Soupedup brought over some little city pepperoni pizza for dinner. I figured this would be a proper choice for desert. I waited a little while after the pizza and had a bunch of water.

Bottle 953/1000. 2009 Batch. Shout out to Evan1023 for hooking me up with this bottle and introducing me to Sally's Pizza. Also Props to Zapps for making the New Haven trip with me. One last Pimp out to Larsonstyle for giving me an extra bottle of KTG so I could trade for this... thank God for my good ole Coors light drinking buddy.

I feel like I'm gazing into the black hole. Next to KTG this is the darkest stout I've had to date. The head and lacing look like Nesquick.

The aroma isn't as chocolaty as I would have imagined. Coffee is definitely the front runner. The chocolate is more towards the background. Fruit and spices are somewhere in the middle. A very pleasant surprise.

The name is a bit deceiving. As deciphered in the aroma the chocolate isn't that big. I was expecting a Rogue Chocolate Stout like chocolate presence. Not the case at all. The coffee was up front with the chocolate in the background. Although subtle, I could really taste the rich fudge. I poured into a chalice and my second glass was closer to room temp. The chocolate started jumping out at me even more and spices started to make an appearance. My first beer from Foothills and WOW. My second favorite stout under KTG. Still a perfect 5 for taste. As a thick subtle chocolate Russian Imperial Stout... I can't imagine it getting any better.

This beer isn't smooth... It's Smoooth. I feel like I'm in bed with the woman on the label when I'm drinking it. Well balanced, rich, and creamy. Fills my palate. It felt like the entire cast of the soul train was dancing the night away inside my mouth. Top notch. It took willpower to make this bottle last 45 minutes. 9.75 percent could not be more drinkable.

I would love to get my hands on another bottle of this stuff. Hopefully they continue to produce more and more. This beer was better in bed than my girlfriend.

04-27-2010 15:05:45 | More by DNICE555
MSchae1017

4.88/5  rDev +18.2%

The beer arrives in a standard pint glass branded with a Foothills logo as black as the beer itself. The head is the color of cappuccino foam hinting at some of the aromas and flavors awaiting the drinker. The head eventually dissipates to wisps of foam, leaving traces of lace down the side of the glass. In addition to coffee notes in the smell, there is the distinct aromas of dark chocolate coming together to remind you of a cafe mocha. Roasted barley is also evident, rounding out the nose of this beer. Upon taking a sip, all of these aromas come to full life on your tongue. Coffee hints with huge amounts of dark chocolate provide a perfect balance of sweetness and bitterness usually provided only by the finest chocolate makers. At 10% ABV, the lack of alcohol presence on the palate is surprising and evident of proper maturation by the brewer. Swirling the beer around the tongue gives the drinker the chance to fully appreciate the full body of this beer that combines with subtle, even carbonation for an exceptionally smooth mouthfeel. Sip after sip, this beer is a pleasure to drink. As it warms, flavors of dark fruit present themselves and the aromas become more alive. With the high ABV, you would think that this beer would beg to be drank slowly, but the perfect balance of flavors and incredible smoothness urge you to continue drinking. Chocolate in beer can sometimes be overwhelming and when combined with sweetness, even cloying at times, but Sexual Chocolate is constructed with such care that it just continues to please over and over again. To quote a buddy with me at the time, "There is not a single aspect of this beer that I do not like." If that does not motivate you to get a pint of your own, I do not know what will.

02-08-2008 17:26:54 | More by MSchae1017
mntlover

Tennessee

4.88/5  rDev +18.2%

Walk into Mellow Mushroom for couple of brews and a pie, wow Sexual Chocolate on tap way after release date. Hey bartender you actually still have that on tap, yes he tells me they were late getting it in compared to others in the area, my lucky day.

Pours a wonderful dark black with a small brown coco head, I am assuming small head to due to bar pour as the lace is wonderful sheets all the way down my pint.

Aroma is well chocolate lots of fluffy chocolate notes on roasted malt base slight coffee notes underneath but hell hard to smell much besides the chocolate roasted malts really.

Taste is wonderful so bloody smooth and creamy like fluffy nugget or something, loads of chocolate coming from the roasted malts, no so much artificial like Rouges but roasted malty chocolate tons of it and so damn smooth. Sorry keep repeating myself but this brew is just wonderful, some light coffee notes and hops underneath it all, no alcohol is noted, man this stuff goes down so easy. Man this stuff could get you into trouble could drink these all day. Perfect blend of roasted sweet malt goodness with light hops in finish along with linger coco powder in your mouth.

Mouthfeel is smooth creamy and wonderful only medium heavy not so thick and heavy as some big stouts. But man does it do justice to the taste seems perfect for this beer smooth creamy silky chocolate better then any candy bar. Little bite of carbonation in the finish to let you know its there.

Drinkability is just wonderful man does this go down smooth and easy two pints gone in no time potentially could be dangerous. Man i wish i wasn't driving could stand to have a few more of these. A must try if you can find it get it, best chocolate stout I have had.

05-01-2009 20:04:41 | More by mntlover
ddtprm

4.88/5  rDev +18.2%

Enjoyed this beer on tap on 2/4/11 from Brixx Pizza in South Charlotte along side a pizza with proscuitto, artichoke, olives, garlic, and mushroom. ...Dang, I'm hungry again. $6 for a shaker pint.

Appearance is a deep, dark black with no light shining through. It had a beautiful 2 finger deep brown head that lasted quite a while. Lacing was above average. It wasn't until I reached the very bottom of the glass was I able to see any light through the beer.

This brew smells glorious. Semisweet chocolate and dark roast coffee dominate here. Some high abv beers you can really smell the booze...not so here.

Taste...OH DEAR GOD. Foothills seriously knocks it out of the park and into the next zip code with this one. Hardly a hint of alcohol. The taste follows the smell here. Absolutely exceptional.

Mouthfeel is actually not nearly as chewy and viscous as I was expecting. It is very creamy and smooth. It has the consistency of whole milk. I actually enjoyed this aspect of it a lot more than I expected to.

What really takes this beer over the top is its drinkability. Big beers like this can scare a lot of beer novices. Especially ones as dark as this. Our waitress, who at her own admittance is not a beer drinker, said it was love at first sip. This beer goes down amazingly quickly and easy. It seemed to have been served right around 50 degrees, which i would say is the perfect temp. There is absolutely zero alcohol bite or off bitterness you might expect with a chocolate heavy beer.

I had 3 pints of this stuff during dinner and easily could have had more. Yeah...it's THAT good. Seek this stuff out. NOW.

02-05-2011 15:55:04 | More by ddtprm
icebergfat

4.85/5  rDev +17.4%

Just got back from piggly-wiggly where they had a foothills tasting on friday thanks Michael for saving me a growler, you are the Man. Appearance: Dark black w/ a nice tan head this stuff pour awesome out of growler even though 2 days old. Smell: Great chocolatey goodness, can't wait til I can taste it. Taste : Have I gone to heaven, this stuff taste great! Mouthfeel: Wonderful not to thick(if that is possible)but definitely stout not a disguised porter. Drinkability: I can't really taste the alcohol very well hidden, it's only 6:00 pm and I've got a half gallon of this wonderful beverage to drink before I go to sleep, don't be jealous, it's going to be a great night.

Serving type: growler

11-08-2009 23:42:08 | More by icebergfat
robsharpe

4.85/5  rDev +17.4%

Sometime last year I came across Foothills Brewery out of Winston-Salem, NC and immediately took to their ales. Once I started paying attention I head about their Sexual Chocolate Imperial Stout and I was able to enjoy a glass with dinner last night.

This was on tap and I enjoyed it in a snifter. It was quite dark in appearance and in the aroma I was able to smell a subtle dark chocolate. The taste was well balanced with the a slight bitterness. It was exceptionally drinkable.

This is by far one of my favorite beers.

04-22-2010 16:08:20 | More by robsharpe
wcudwight

4.83/5  rDev +16.9%

Reviewed from notes taken at the brewery.
As opaque as opaque gets. Nice 2 finger sized head with excellent retention. Sticky lace coats and falls down the sides of the glass.
Huge chocolate smell. The kind of aroma that would make Willie Wonka drool. Also a nice shot of espresso is detectable as well.
This is the beer for all of the sweet tooths out there. Huge chocolate and cocoa flavors but enough roasted malts and rich coffee to balance it out. As a plus how does Foothills hide the alcohol. I am destinctfully searching for the alcohol but I can not find it.
Thick, viscous, chewy mouthfeel. The mouthfeel is as rich as the flavor. As a bonus when the glass is empty it is stained brown. As if Sexual Chocolate has marked it's territory.
Possibly the most drinkable RIS I've had. As mentioned before the alcohol is not to be found. Forget aging...drink this now....Could it possibly get any better?

02-05-2008 04:18:35 | More by wcudwight
Wasatch

Utah

4.83/5  rDev +16.9%

Thanks goes out to cvstrickland for this brew.

22oz. Bomber

Pours a very nice black color, very nice carbonation, with a very nice one-finger creamy tan head, with some nice small islands and thich creamy sticky lacing left behind. The nose is malty with lots of chocolate/toffee, slight roast note. The taste is awesome, malty, sweet, with some dark fruits, some vanilla, slight roast note. Medium/Full body, smooth. Very drinkable, what an awesome brew, so glad I finally got a chance to try it, Thanks Chuck!

10-06-2009 01:41:05 | More by Wasatch
Lunch

Maryland

Review # 200

Served on-tap at Foothills Brewery in Winston-Salem, NC during the 2010 Sexual Chocolate release into a Foothills Brewing Signature glass at the appropriate temperature (02/05/10). This review is for the 2010 batch.

A: Pours nearly black with a motor oil quality capped off with a finger of a tan head that dissolves to a foam and leaves some patchy and sticky lacing.

S: Wonderful aroma of milk chocolate, cocoa, roasted malt, graham cracker, and some espresso/coffee. Hints of toffee and caramel are found as well.

T: The taste follows the nose and I must say that this is quite a tasty beverage. Milk chocolate, cocoa, and roasted malt highlight the profile along with layers of graham cracker, coffee, espresso, toffee, and some caramel. Wonderfully balanced and extremely complex.

M: Full-bodied with appropriate creamy carbonation. Thick at times, but never syrupy.

D: I could drink this all day long and it is so well-crafted and expertly balanced. The 10% is not found in the taste at all.

Overall I must say that is an exceptional Imperial Stout from Foothills and one that is deserving of its great praise. This was tasted at my first ever beer release and it did not disappoint. Great brewery, run by great people and producing some great beer! My Highest Recommendation.

02-23-2010 20:32:01 | More by Lunch
jpro

4.83/5  rDev +16.9%

Wow... had this on tap at the Mellow Mushroom. Poured an opaque black with a dark tan / light brown head - not much lacing to be had, although there was decent head retention. Smell was dominated by chocolate, primarily cocoa powder and straight up milk and dark deliciousness. Taste was also heavy on the chocolate - whoa... brownie batter in liquid form! A touch of sweetness (a la molasses) on the finish. Not much of a hop bite or any indication of 10% (??!!) abv. Mouthfeel is silky smooth, and the finish is ridiculously smooth and unparalleled amongst RIS's. Drinkability is hella up there! Great stuff - lives up to the hype!

02-27-2010 04:51:00 | More by jpro
ncbeermonger

4.83/5  rDev +16.9%

This is an exceptional beer, but not worth getting up on a saturday, and waiting in line for. Kegs get to places other than the brewery, and you can enjoy the beer in the comfort of your favorite stool!

The beer is super dark, and the head is a dirty bone white

The smell is phenomenal, and is surpassed solely by the taste of this beer. the ABV is high, and while you can taste this it's not the most present taste, the chocolate, and hints of oak are what leave your lips as you lower your beer.
Warning, dont drink 2 and post!

03-20-2011 19:46:45 | More by ncbeermonger
AAis4quiters

4.8/5  rDev +16.2%

Had this beer on the release weekend. I have to say that it was one of the best Stouts I have ever had. The glassware was proper and added appeal to the visual aspect upon arrival. The nose was outstanding but is was pinnacled by flavor and character. A long clean finish of roasted sweet chocolate and espresso approachable for beginner but sturdy enough for the aficionado. Congrats to the brewer. It was apparently sold out in bottle form and they were running so low that they could not fill growlers.

See ya next weekend!

F.

02-05-2008 13:32:40 | More by AAis4quiters
DavidEddie

4.8/5  rDev +16.2%

Courtesy of drunkmonk. Thanks Joel.
Bottle # 181/500

Pours black like an overdue oil change. Brown head falls quickly to a ring around my glass. Strong roasty smell of chocolate and coffee. Some pine and licorice aromas were also detected. The first initial sip, I tasted flavors of dark chocolate followed by black coffee. Finishes with a bit of crisp citrusy hops. Some bitter chocolate lingers. Alcohol is barley noticeable, just some slight warming in my chest. Mouthfeel is creamy, smooth and slightly heavy. Overall, drinkability is fantastic. I would agree this Imperial Stout lives up to the hype. Highly recommended!

03-02-2008 04:03:58 | More by DavidEddie
jjayjaye

4.8/5  rDev +16.2%

Bottle 184 of 500 - Big thanks to drunkmonk for the opportunity. Cheers, Joel!

Pours an opaque brown color with a huge foamy dark tan head that fades fairly quickly. Spotty patterns of Belgian lacing in it's wake. The smell from beneath the cap is Hersey Syrup chocolaty goodness, from the pour a wonderful distinct dark fruit character comes through and hints of vanilla. As it warms you get more of a cherry vanilla barrel aged treatment. The initial mouthful is conditioned by the rush of alcohol. The fire is dampened nicely by the full bodied rich chocolate flavor dispensed in a silky creaminess. Big chocolate flavor mixed with the fruity taste of a barrel age treatment. Finishes with a chewy semisweet maltiness that lingers appropriately. Way too easy to drink. This one is labeled 9.75% ABV. Integrated well, has a really nice complexity that's a kick to consider. I never know where the line falls between a RIS and a Double Stout, but this is what i think a Double Stout is shooting for. Really nice effort. Highly recommended.

03-16-2008 22:31:54 | More by jjayjaye
tprokop7

4.8/5  rDev +16.2%

Bottle 258/500, shared with balberts after getting it in trade from Shuajw. Thanks again.

A - Thick and black, little to no head, quite viscous as it pours.

S - Roasted barley, not as much chocolate as I would have expected.

T - Nice, complex smokeyness complimenting notes of sweetness and chocolate near the end. Leaves a bit of a bitter aftertaste.

M - Slightly carbonated, thick and smooth.

D - I'm not sure this is even relevant here, as the chances of following the first bottle with the second are almost none...

This is a great, complex stout that I wish I could get more of. I am glad I had the opportunity to try this from this brewing. There was a lot of hype surrounding this beer, and I think I can honestly say that it has earned at least most of it. Thanks again for the bottle Josh.

05-05-2008 02:59:47 | More by tprokop7
Jaynuze

District of Columbia

4.78/5  rDev +15.7%

What an incredible beer! I was able to try this beautiful creation at SAVOR in DC, so please excuse my recollection.

Pours jet black with a light brown head.

The nose is very subtle, though one can detect coffee and chocolate.

Tastes like the name says! Big chocolate and coffee notes yet very smooth ... not a lot of heat like you find in other RIPs.

Smooth mouthfeel ... tasted like it came off a nitro tap.

This is a very easy to drink RIP ... I'd hate to see what would happen to me if I could find this on tap in DC.

Probably one of the finest RIPs on the market right now. I'm a big fan of Stone's RIP and until I tried Sexual Chocolate, I'd thought it was the only respectable version of this style. This is one hell of a beer. All I can really say is, find it, by it (en masse if possible), covet it, and drink it. An incredible beer ... can't wait till it makes its way to DC!

05-29-2008 12:52:15 | More by Jaynuze
ATLbeerDog

Jun 25, 2008
Bottle 271/500 - Pours pitch black with a 1/8 inch caramel colored head. Super heavy lacing clings to the glass. Aroma of deep roasted malts, chocolate and coffee. First sip - the coffee really dominates with the chocolate coming through next followed by the rich malts. There are hints of vanilla and licorice. The whole thing really works as all the flavors blend beautifully together. Complex but not as complex nor as thick bodied as Dark Lord. None the less, this is World Class

06-30-2008 20:21:06 | More by ATLbeerDog
rye726

Colorado

4.78/5  rDev +15.7%

Oh my, this is some tasty stuff. Pours a near black color with a creamy brown head. Huge nose of chocolate, coffee and sweet fruity malts. Taste follows suit. Lots of chocolate over a very nice stout. Chocolate is well balanced. Creamy body goes down well. Delicious. Anyone want to trade for a bottle of this?

10-25-2008 03:09:39 | More by rye726
marshalzhukov

4.78/5  rDev +15.7%

Had one day after 2010 release.

A-very dark brown, redish tint when held up to the light, very fine light brown head

S-chocolate, cocoa nibs, slight coffee flavor

T-smooth, a little bitterness, chalky but a very nice finish

M-chalky leaves a lasting chocolate/expresso flavor in the mouth

D-a little to easy to drink it'll catch up with you quick

02-08-2010 06:29:10 | More by marshalzhukov
gford217

4.75/5  rDev +15%

I've been wanting to try this one for quite a while so big thanks to kp for opening a bottle at the Brick Store.

This one pours pitch black, with no light coming through at all. The tan head is small and bubbly and leaves good lacing.

This is one of the best aromas I've had in a beer. It's sweet, like malted milk balls - dark malts with sweet chocolate on top. There is dark fruit and hints of coffee as well.

The taste is fantastic as well with a huge roasted malt backbone that is extremely well balance by generous milk chocolate and dark fruit sweetness. The finish actually has a slight espresso bitterness, but only as a complementary piece of this complex brew.

The mouthfeel is so smooth, but with ample carbonation that helps coat the mouth completely in the semi-sweet goodness.

I am thoroughly impressed with this beer and would rate it among my favorite imperial stouts. I may be slightly biased to the sweeter side of things, but either way this is a world class beer. Thanks again to kp for sharing this one.

11-15-2008 03:28:40 | More by gford217
bhalter8

4.75/5  rDev +15%

I was thrilled to try the 2008 on tap at the 2009 bottle release. After standing in line for hours, I can safely say it was well worth it. Poured into a snifter, it is a deep, dark ink black color and a fairly thin dark brown head. It sure looks incredible, and smell doesn't let down either, the intense chocolate, burnt coffee, and strong malts combine to make quite the enticing aroma. This 2008 vintage blows you away in the taste department. It seems the alcohol has muted enough to allow all the other flavor components, the chocolate, the coffee, the malts, to overtake the flavor. It is a dense beer, but far thinner than the 2009 release, I assume due to aging. The subdued carbonization is also nice. All combine to make strong RIS, in both flavor and ABV, that still tastes, and drinks easy. I am thoroughly impressed, and may now have to hold off those '09 bottles for a while.

02-08-2009 18:27:21 | More by bhalter8