Sexual Chocolate - Foothills Brewing Company - Downtown Brewpub

Russian Imperial Stout |  9.75% ABV

Beer added by: SaCkErZ9 on 02-15-2007

Reviews: 441 | Hads: 1,214
4.77/5  rDev +16.6%

Courtesy of drunkmonk. Thanks Joel.
Bottle # 181/500

Pours black like an overdue oil change. Brown head falls quickly to a ring around my glass. Strong roasty smell of chocolate and coffee. Some pine and licorice aromas were also detected. The first initial sip, I tasted flavors of dark chocolate followed by black coffee. Finishes with a bit of crisp citrusy hops. Some bitter chocolate lingers. Alcohol is barley noticeable, just some slight warming in my chest. Mouthfeel is creamy, smooth and slightly heavy. Overall, drinkability is fantastic. I would agree this Imperial Stout lives up to the hype. Highly recommended!

4.77/5  rDev +16.6%

Bottle 258/500, shared with balberts after getting it in trade from Shuajw. Thanks again.

A - Thick and black, little to no head, quite viscous as it pours.

S - Roasted barley, not as much chocolate as I would have expected.

T - Nice, complex smokeyness complimenting notes of sweetness and chocolate near the end. Leaves a bit of a bitter aftertaste.

M - Slightly carbonated, thick and smooth.

D - I'm not sure this is even relevant here, as the chances of following the first bottle with the second are almost none...

This is a great, complex stout that I wish I could get more of. I am glad I had the opportunity to try this from this brewing. There was a lot of hype surrounding this beer, and I think I can honestly say that it has earned at least most of it. Thanks again for the bottle Josh.

4.75/5  rDev +16.1%

Jun 25, 2008
Bottle 271/500 - Pours pitch black with a 1/8 inch caramel colored head. Super heavy lacing clings to the glass. Aroma of deep roasted malts, chocolate and coffee. First sip - the coffee really dominates with the chocolate coming through next followed by the rich malts. There are hints of vanilla and licorice. The whole thing really works as all the flavors blend beautifully together. Complex but not as complex nor as thick bodied as Dark Lord. None the less, this is World Class

4.73/5  rDev +15.6%

I was thrilled to try the 2008 on tap at the 2009 bottle release. After standing in line for hours, I can safely say it was well worth it. Poured into a snifter, it is a deep, dark ink black color and a fairly thin dark brown head. It sure looks incredible, and smell doesn't let down either, the intense chocolate, burnt coffee, and strong malts combine to make quite the enticing aroma. This 2008 vintage blows you away in the taste department. It seems the alcohol has muted enough to allow all the other flavor components, the chocolate, the coffee, the malts, to overtake the flavor. It is a dense beer, but far thinner than the 2009 release, I assume due to aging. The subdued carbonization is also nice. All combine to make strong RIS, in both flavor and ABV, that still tastes, and drinks easy. I am thoroughly impressed, and may now have to hold off those '09 bottles for a while.

4.73/5  rDev +15.6%

What an incredible beer! I was able to try this beautiful creation at SAVOR in DC, so please excuse my recollection.

Pours jet black with a light brown head.

The nose is very subtle, though one can detect coffee and chocolate.

Tastes like the name says! Big chocolate and coffee notes yet very smooth ... not a lot of heat like you find in other RIPs.

Smooth mouthfeel ... tasted like it came off a nitro tap.

This is a very easy to drink RIP ... I'd hate to see what would happen to me if I could find this on tap in DC.

Probably one of the finest RIPs on the market right now. I'm a big fan of Stone's RIP and until I tried Sexual Chocolate, I'd thought it was the only respectable version of this style. This is one hell of a beer. All I can really say is, find it, by it (en masse if possible), covet it, and drink it. An incredible beer ... can't wait till it makes its way to DC!

4.71/5  rDev +15.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Just had a 2012 from a 22 purchased at the brewery - which makes it better automatically.

Still one of the best imperial stouts out there. The dark brown-almost black color; the smell is completely giving of all its notes - roasty chocolate is completely apparent.

The taste is smooth, not over taken by its alcohol, chocolaty greatness, and semi-sweet.

I have several more of these, including ones back to 2010 and I can't wait to get to the rest!

Get your hands on these. Foothills is nailing this one.

4.7/5  rDev +14.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

10-14--07 update

After having this on-tap for the second time today at Foothills in WS, I'm bumping up the smell and drinkability scores. This is an outstading RIS...just wish it was available more often.

4-14-07 review

a - thick and black as motor oil, one-finger brown head with retention around the edges and a little lacing

s - big bittersweet chocolate aroma, some coffee and roasted malt as well, little alcohol

t - dominant flavor is bittersweet chocolate, body had some dark roasted coffee and malt, lots of dark fruit with vivid chocolate covered cherries, finish is slightly bitter coffee and roasted malt, more dark fruits, some sweetness on the finish as well, without much alcohol taste

m - quite full-bodied, very viscous and creamy, sweet finish with a little dryness as well

d - pretty drinkable, can't tell it's 10%, which make this beer dangerous, goes down very easy

Very good stout from Foothills...they have yet to disappoint me. Hope we don't have to wait to next V-day to have this again.

4.7/5  rDev +14.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Review #250

Received this brew from WeisGuy in a recent trade. Big thanks for the opportunity! This is my first brew from Foothills and I couldn't think of a better one to start with. Drank from my Stone India Pale Ale tulip while watching a movie. Un-numbered bottle

Appearance- Pours a super murky black that has zero shades. of anything but black in it. Nice dark brown creamy half finger head forms that leaves a nice cap and collar for most of the brew and a bit of splotchy lacing.
Smell- Starts with a nice black licorice sweetness that is somewhat dark molasses and somewhat dark cane rum. The chocolate is definitely present just not to the overwhelming effect that I had originally thought it would be. Some of the typical coffee and espresso notes that you'd expect from brew with as much roastiness as this one has. Lightly hoppy with a dark berry fruitiness to it and feint vanilla bean. Minus the fruitiness, this reminds me quite a bit of the ABYSS.
Taste- Oh, very nice! Lightly chocolaty with a very raw cocoa start this is semi bitter. Plenty of dark roasted coffee that seems to linger on and on and on. Lightly sweet with a dark caramel and molasses aspect and a bit of a wood like vanilla that I got in the nose. Something about this beer makes me think its barrel aged but I know that it's not. Almost a bourbon like quality about this with the alcohol in the finish (think I've just been drinking to many bourbon aged brews). Finishes with a dark fruitiness (plums, prunes and maybe even some dark cherry) and that burnt espresso quality that never seems to leave.
Mouthfeel- Fairly hefty with a medium-large body and a super creamy, velvety feel. Light, fine carbonation adds to the creamy feel. Finishes slightly hot.
Drinkability- Overall this is a pretty tasty brew. It's not really chocolaty like Southern Tiers Choklat (which I thought it would be closer to then farther from) but still very nice and tasty. It's not overly sweet and cloying like some of these brews can be and I hate. Wish the 10% was covered up a bit more but that's about my only complaint. Big thanks to Shane for the opportunity to try this delight!

4.68/5  rDev +14.4%

I have to preface this with a nyah-nyah ... how can you beat a full pint of this nectar for the grand sum of $2.50?!? I loves me some Flying Saucer with its NC pint Sundays!

A: Anyway, the beer came served with practically no head, which is typical for a pour at the Flying Saucer. The beer was completely black and opaque, as befits an RIS.

S: The smell was a bit muted due to my head cold, but I could definitely get the cocoa, roasted malts and a bit of espresso aroma.

T: The taste was right there with the best RIS. The cocoa was strong, but not overpowering. There was a definite hit of lactose sweetness in the middle, and a bit of hoppy bite near the end.

M: What can I say about the mouthfeel? It's sexual chocolate and it lives up to its name.

D: I had no idea it was as high ABV as it was. I had this at lunchtime after a breakfast of an apple. I was half-way through it before I ate anything and never noticed the alcohol. It's deceptively easy to drink... and at $2.50 a pint, it was hard to say no!

4.67/5  rDev +14.2%

Thanks to kipple for a bottle of Randy Watson's love potion. Shared with my lovely wife, in two Stone IRS stems.

As suspected, poured super black with a pretty 2 fingers of nougat-brown frothy head.

Aromas of java, dark chocolate, tiny amount of fumey alcohol with some campfire smoke.

Very nice taste that continued to change as it warmed. As each flavor was present, none totally dominated the experience. Started out with a pronounced dark chocolate flavor, slightly oily on the lips. A nice flash of hot alcohol with hop flavor came next then dissolved into a creamy mouthfeel. Finished pretty hot, slightly hoppy with a hint of dried cherry coating the palate. Again, with none of these flavors dominating.

SC has everything I love in a RIS and am so happy to have shared this with my lovely. We are planning to watch 'Coming to America' tonight on TNT.

2009 Release; purchased at the brewery on SC Day '09

This year I made my first pilgrimage to Foothills for the limited release of Sexual Chocolate, and I was lucky enough to get my four-bottle quota. That chilly February day I drank my fair share of that chocolatey goodness on draft, but I've never yet had it bottled.... I traded three of my precious orange-and-brown-sugar-clad bombers with some great BAs across the nation, but I saved one, this single lonely lady of soul, and she has been waiting, patiently standing apart even in a crowded cellar, saving her sexy self all just for me. Time's up, baby... here we go...

With a seductive hiss and an accompanying whiff of licorice-laden fudge, the slightly-chilled bottle numbered 472/600 yields her silvery crown. A brisk pour into my prized Foothills tasting tumbler yields an inky-black beauty of a brew, the ebony liquid trimmed at the extreme periphery in burnt chestnut and smartly capped with a finger's thickness of glossy espresso-crema colored foam. As the sticky bubble-lid slowly recedes, a webby film of ecru lacing clings stubbornly to the inner walls of my glass.

The aroma is sexy and chocolate-laden, sure enough. A dab of toasted cocoa with a twist of burnt licorice, plus a smashed brick of baker's chocolate and a horde of devil's food cupcakes tangle with a drizzle of Hershey's syrup to sweeten a deep, rich, robust note of smoky charred barley.

The first luxurious sip is rich and full-bodied, with plenty of chocolate and blackened roast a-go-go. Notes of dark semi-sweet morsels swirled with a licorice swizzle stick, mixed into strong black coffee, all mingle nicely with silky-sweet milk chocolate and a sprinkle of dark dried fruits. The 10% ABV is scarcely hidden, but is so very well-incorporated into the flavor and the aroma that I can't imagine the brew without it; darkly-fruity and vanilla-like notes attest to the idea. Sexual Chocolate lingers in the mouth-- savory, roasty, and sweet on the palate-- long after the brew has passed the drinker's lips. As this excellent stout warms a bit, a pleasantly-dry twinge of tangy, acrid, woody smokiness gains a definite but unobtrusive foothold in the flavor profile.

The drink is silky-soft and creamy-smooth, with a thick, full body and sedately-perfect carbonation. Highly drinkable, even considering the aforementioned ABV.

The best thing about this sexy black beauty is that she faithfully returns to us year after year, and you can bet your bottom dollar, folks, that I'll be lining up to see her again on SC Day '10. A truly awesome brew.

4.67/5  rDev +14.2%

On tap at Tylers in Durham as part of its 08 debut. Pours jet black, no lite penetrating at all as its held to the light. A quarter inch dark tan head escapes not long after my first sip. A ring of steady lace remains. The aroma at first is more subdued. At first just hints of semisweet chocolate and roasted malts. As this beer warms the aroma's really get much more complex, Caramel and charred fruit. Faint hints of anaise as well. The taste starts with a soft bakers chocolate sweetness and caramel undertones. The hops sneak in and assert themselves on your tongue. A warming begins down your throat after a few sips. The mouthfeel is moderate and extremely creamy and smooth. By the time you start to realize the strength of this beer you look down and your Foothills tumbler is almos empty. This beer is much too easy to drink for it's strength. A complex brew that's hard to keep away from your nose and your gullet. Highly Recommended.

4.67/5  rDev +14.2%

Thanks to mikesgroove for this one. 2008 bottle 92 of 500 poured into a snifter. It produced a finger worth of tan head. That went to a slight ring of tan bubbles around the glass the body was a classic black stout color.

The aromas of dark chocolate coffee and some molasses filled my head. The more it warms the more the sweet molasses comes through with the chocolate

The flavor is very sweet the molasses is dominant as well in the taste. Nice chocolate notes as well as a slight coffee bitter. No carbonation but thick in the mouth so it is right where I like my stouts to be in the mouthfeel department.

This is a great stout, great chocolate flavor with enough sweetness in it to keep it interesting. I am truly enjoying this bomber while sipping this last glass. A must try to any stout lover; I know I grab another one in the future.

4.67/5  rDev +14.2%

Served on-tap at Barley's in Asheville. Instantly my favorite RIS (for the moment). Though I've only had a few different ones, this seemed to capture the style almost perfectly. Pitch black, almost looking like dark chocolate with a creamy, thick brown head. Chocolate is very present in the smell little alcohol present for the 10% this one offers. Like the Seeing Double, this beer does a wonderful job of hiding the alcohol presence and gives way to the various flavors that impressed me greatly. Simply put, this is delicious. Definitely a sipper but I'll sip on this any day.

Edit: Oh yeah...tried on-tap again recently. A little less roasted than I remember. More rich dark chocolate up front. Slight fresh hop presence lingers. Even a little sour dark fruit that reminds me of a Baltic in a way. A $7 pint was no problem.

4.67/5  rDev +14.2%

Bottle 96/500, courtesy of brdc (thanks Daniel).

I had this side-by-side with several other big and rare stouts (Darkness, Dark Lord, and Kate the Great). Thus I was able to make comparisons which often elude me when imbibing a single bottle in a sitting. In this case I can say that Sexual Chocolate tastes and smells a lot like Dark Lord, but has a less massive mouthfeel (Dark Lord seemed twice as viscous). Dark Lord is a sipper for this very reason, so to me Sexual Chocolate is immensely drinkable.

The beer is dark black with a nice initial 2-finger foam. The smell was not as chocolaty as I expected from the name, but was really rich with malts and dark fruits (like I said, similar to Dark Lord). The taste was really good too, lots of roasted malt, rich with sweetness and a little chocolate, very flavorful. The body was just thick enough in my opinion, even as it seemed less substantial than Dark Lord. Drinkability couldn't be improved for such a large and flavorful stout. It really goes down easily.

4.66/5  rDev +13.9%

A great Russian Imperial. Not too much on the nose, but my worries were quickly banished after the first sip. Dark chocolate and coffee swarmed beautifully into my mouth. The mouthfeel is spectacular and oily enough to really make the impression last. The taste just lingers forever after the experience.

4.65/5  rDev +13.7%

Black is beautiful. This beer pours real dark almost black and has a nice light tan head. The first sip is bliss with the taste of roasted malts and dark chocolate dancing on your tongue. There is a slight undertone of coffee that makes this a complete flavor experience. If you are a stout lover and in the area of the foothils brewing company then get to this beer as fast as you can.

4.63/5  rDev +13.2%

This beer is about as dark as a beer could be. Black with a nice thick tan head. The smell is coffee, a little oatmeal and a ton of chocolate. The taste is chocolate. No hop bitterness, just mainly a ton of chocolate and a hint of coffee. The mouthfeel is smooth and creamy with just a hint of smoke. Served at room temp. The abv is not too noticable and the beer has a long lasting aftertaste. I will certanly try this beer again sometime.

4.63/5  rDev +13.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

22 oz bomber, poured into a tulip glass.

A- Pours black, caramel-colored head.

S- BIG roasty aroma; deep chocolate.

T- Very roasted, chocolate/cocoa flavor, mild fruitiness

M- Full-bodied, low carbonation, thick feel.

O- Solid stout, unique, worth seeking out.

4.63/5  rDev +13.2%

While I was at Bruisin' Ales in Asheville today picking up some KBS Jason told me that Barley's down the street still had some Sexual Chocolate on tap. As highly regarded as this brew is I figured I couldn't miss out on this opportunity so I headed down the road to grab myself a glass. I had the beer at 3:30 pm so there was no smoke or anything in the air to cloud my nose and lots of light to see the beer. This review is from my notes.

Appearance: Brought to my table in a 10.5 oz. goblet. This beer is a dark, dark black color, and while it's hard to say if it's the blackest beer I've ever had it is definitely up there. The head was a gorgeous dark brown color, darker than chocolate milk with a wonderful soft, pillowy texture. The head is also very sticky and as I drank it left enormous amounts of lace on the glass, at times almost blanketing the entire glass.

Smell: The nose of this beer is full of different aromas, the strongest of which is dark chocolate. It also has the usual chocolate/espresso interplay that Russian Imperial Stouts have, and these aromas are supplemented by notes of blackstrap molasses, treacle toffee, and raisins.

Taste: With the first sip of this beer I realize that it definitely deserves its reputation. It starts off with a wonderful sweet chocolate flavor, moves to a strong dark malt flavor, and finishes with just a bit of hop bitterness. That may sound pretty standard, but what sets this beer apart from other stouts is how well Foothills has balanced out these flavors. The chocolate is sweet but not milky, the malt is roasted but not at all charred like some beers, and the hops are prevalent enough to taste but faint enough to give this beer an excellent finish that, even after the full goblet, was never bitter. Unlike some Russian Imperial Stouts that are so hoppy in the finish they destroy your palate this one is, as Goldilocks said, "just right".

Mouthfeel: This is one exceptionally creamy beer. The mouthfeel is somewhat akin to what I can imagine drinking liquid cream would be like, and it is so creamy it reminds me of a milk stout. The carbonation is also very low, further giving this beer a thick, luscious mouthfeel. Overall an ungodly creamy, yet full-bodied, brew and I feel like only a 5 fully does the mouthfeel of this beer justice.

Drinkability: There is absolutely no taste of the 10% ABV in this beer, and compared to the Storm King Imperial Stout I drank last night this beer is much more drinkable, which is saying a lot considering I gave Storm King a 4.5 in that category. This beer, however, deserves the 5 that it will receive from me.

Notes: Overall I was very impressed with this beer, and my only complaint is that I didn't get a chance to buy any bottles during this year's release. I love stouts, and there are lots of good ones out there, but Foothills Sexual Chocolate is definitely one of the best. It looks beautiful and smells incredible, but the taste and the mouthfeel are what really set it apart from its peers. If you ever get the chance to sample this beer, don't pass it up; you'll be disappointed if you do.

4.63/5  rDev +13.2%

Had 4 or 5 samples of this at EBF. From notes.

A: Poured jet black with about a finger of coffee/mocha colored head.

S: The nose was a nice mixture of roasted malts and chocolate. The chocolate really was clear and blasted through the roast though. A touch of an earthy smell but the nose was really clean on this.

T: Chocolate right up front. A mixture of cocoa powder and milk chocolate. Again like the nose the roast is there but chocolate is firmly on the center stage. A nice sweetness runs throughout. You do get a touch of hop bitterness in the finish.

M: Medium to heavy body. A little bit on the dry side.

D: A really drinkable RIS. Glad I got to try this but I don't know if I would give up the farm for this. However if this were local to me I would grab every chance I could to have this. Great beer.

4.62/5  rDev +13%

Sampled from gravity pour multiple times at Brewvival.

Pours black with a thin tan head. The head recedes into a thin layer on top leaving decent lacing.

Smells of robust roasted malts with semi-sweet chocolate and tobacco. Also present are very slight hints of boozy figs.

Tastes even better than it smells. Perfect amounts of roasted malt and dark chocolate flavors kick things off. Joining in shortly thereafter are smooth tobacco flavors and lighter chocolate. Very light amounts of smokiness join in midway through the sip before being overtaken by slight amounts of dark fruit flavors. The dark chocolate, roasted malt, and tobacco flavors push aside the dark fruit flavors and carry through to a moderately bitter ending.

Mouthfeel is good. It's got a nice thickness with soft carbonation.

Drinkability is very good. I finished my glass quickly and could easily have a few more.

Overall this beer benefitted from the cask treatment as the cocoa nibs were able to shine with gusto. My one qualm with the cask conditioning is that the mouthfeel suffers slightly. Still, if you see this beer on cask don't hesitate, it'll go fast as it well should, very much worth a shot.

4.62/5  rDev +13%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Thanks to jojomda & grant217 for sending me bottles of this. I'm still hoarding the bottle Mr. 217 sent me, so this is the fresh February 2010 batch. It says so on the label.

Pours black as any RIS or bottom of a coal mine. As it warms a bit, the smell is rather startling - so rich it's a bit like brandy, thick with alcohol, dark, & rich. Excellent. Makes me think there's a good thing coming to my lips.

Bitter roasted malts kick off the Chocolate Sex experience, stopping just short of coffee, but drifting towards charcoal. Earthy & elemental, & the advertised chocolate is a chin-stroking afterthought to the singe. Grainy & gritty, with a fist-bump of hops that linger into the aftertaste & leave a nice ring around the ashes of the campfire in my mouth. Mmmm.

(By the way, I love roasted, charred, burned, etc. malts, so most of that previous paragraph was intended as a compliment...we now return to our regularly scheduled review)

Nice & thick, with a stickiness that really sticks to your ribs, & everything else. This is almost a full meal in & of itself. Despite that, I'm sure that if my wife decides she doesn't want her half of the bottle, I'll happily dispose of it for her.

Well, I wasn't sure at first, but as this one warms, it opens like the roses after a steady rain. Black roses, of course. I'm already looking forward to the 2008 bottle that's been resting for a long time in the cellar. Maybe next year...

4.61/5  rDev +12.7%

Thanks to mikesgroove for this on - really looking forward to it!

A: Pour is black as night. Looks like molasses. Thick and viscous. Great looking 2-2.5 finger of dark tan head.

S: Smell of deep roasted malts and some chocolate, a bit of dark fruit and coffee.

T: Complex. Trying to nail down what it is on the front of the tongue. Some vanilla? Dark cherry? Middle and back are much clearer. Ton of malt and chocolate and some smoke in the middle followed by a strong coffee bitterness.

M: Medium to full body. Carbonation seems right

D: High in general and very high for the style. Now I gotta get a bottle (hopefully 2) to try!

4.6/5  rDev +12.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

2008 Vintage served the day before the release at Foothills.

A. Jet black with a medium brown fluffy head. The head is very sheety down the sides of the glass leaving rings on every sip.

S. Cocoa, milk chocolate, cream, and coffee.

T. Rich milk chocolate with a nice coffee accent. Very smooth-smoother than the 09-and well blended. A touch of raisins and cream round out the taste.

M. Thick and chewy, oatmeal like. Very slick, though, and creamy.

D. For a big beer, this is way too drinkable. I could hurt myself on this one. Believe the hype, people.

Sexual Chocolate from Foothills Brewing Company - Downtown Brewpub