Microbrew Invitational

Style: Russian Imperial Stout

Added by SaCkErZ9 on 02-15-2007

Reviews: 449 | Ratings: 1,296
3.59/5  rDev -12.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

The beer pours dark enough, with minimal sustaining head and lacing. The smell is weak and a bit bitter coffee notes.

The taste starts out decently well, bitter dark chocolate notes, but more biting than creamy. There is a very subdued pine bite as the beer transitions to the end feel. This end taste is a bit lackluster, a fade into slightly watery weakness.

A little more body would probably get this beer a decent uptick of .5 or so.

3.58/5  rDev -12.5%

2010 vintage, courtesy of thagr81us in a massive trade awhile back. Thanks Calton!

It pours a full bodied dark, dark brown with a mocha colored one finger creamy head. It smells of sweet milk chocolate and little else. It's just a chocolate bomb, as to be expected. The flavors are initially very bitter with heavy roast as it eases into sweet milk chocolate. It definitely wasn't this bitter the first time I had it. It's somewhere between milk and dark chocolate because of this. It's solid, but nothing spectacular. It drinks medium in body and is a nice beer. It just isn't very complex and isn't as refined as it could be.

3.58/5  rDev -12.5%

Served in Bells tulip. 2011 vintage.

A- Dark and thick with a 3-finger caramel head. Very solid head retention and lacing.

S- Smokey malts, chocolate, roastiness, anise,

T- All in the same as the nose, noticable smokiness, chocolate, molasses, pretty smooth.

M- Thick, mouth-coating, a good creaminess.

Overall- Great beer. Would like just a little more age on this.

3.57/5  rDev -12.7%

Served in a glass mug.

Big thanks to VDubb86 for sharing this bottle!

2009 vintage. Bottle #604/1000. Another bottle shared before my buddy's wedding, his last beer as a single man. It pours a very dark black-brown (almost obsidian, but not quite) topped by a finger of sandy tan foam. The nose comprises chocolate syrup, roasted malts, light coffee, light oak, and light molasses. The taste brings in more of the same, with the emphasis on the chocolate, the coffee, and some added maple syrup. Everything's almost too sweet, clashing with the roast in a strange, though not altogether offensive way. The body is a straight medium, with a light moderate carbonation and a feel that edges to the brink of watery. Overall, a pretty decent impy stout, but it's much too thin and the flavors just don't work together very well. It's good, but nowhere near worth the hype.

3.56/5  rDev -13%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A- Dark brown with light brown accents. Barely any foam or signs of carbonation.

S - Lots of roasted and smoked malt with dark chocolate and burnt caramel / molasses

T - Dark chocolate up front with lots of smoked oak in it. More dark chocolate comes next with slight black licorice. The smoke slightly overpowers everything else. Finish is slight espresso and oak.

M - The body is a bit thin with light carbonation. More watery than creamy. Roasted espresso with a slight bitterness in the finish

O - This is a better than average stout but it's not amazing. It's too watery for my taste and I found the smokiness to be slightly overpowering

3.54/5  rDev -13.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.25

Poured from the bottle into a snifter glass.

A real thick and perfect creamy tan head forms, but it is quite large nearly three fingers tall. Whipped up cocoa light texture and settles very slowly. Strangely when forming it seemed even darker. Body color seems classic black walnut and dark but with some little close inspection it appears to have some red in there strangely when held up to light. Nice looker of a stout.

Real nice soft grain aroma. Subtle brown sugar sweetness, dark chocolate, a good mix of bitter and sugar. Hints toward some berried fruit tartness slightly just a tad. Quite solid even a little bit varied.

Palate is a bit different than expected. Bitter. Noticeably. Lots of dry grains and roast char on the finish, but a big blasting pine hop bitterness creeps throughout. A decent palate feel but has some wet skim milk and slick character. There's a bit of coffee like roast towards the finish, but it quickly gets buried in some almost acidic grains. There's quite a bit of sour quality to this, but luckily not too out of control, but it lingers. Roast character is nearly hot and piping, then this acidic coating just takes over, like real acidic coffee, and thick hop oil resin that permeates.

Overall this brings the roast and char, but there's some acidic almost vinegar quality that just overloads and ruins the experience. Would really like some chocolate flavor on this and doesn't really get it done. It's char profile is also identical to its porter and reminds me much of it, which is another beer from Foothills I just don't care for. Just a bit too much bitter, acrid, and oily. Doesn't come off quite right.

3.54/5  rDev -13.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

1 pint 6 fl oz brown glass bottle with standard branded pressure cap acquired as part of a trade and served into a Guinness stem-goblet glass in me parents’ gaff in high altitude Castle Rock, Colorado during my annual Christmas tasting. Reviewed live. Expectations are real high given its current 92 rating.. 9.75% ABV confirmed. February 2013 vintage. Reviewed as an imperial stout because the label identifies it as such. 85 IBUs. SRM: 70.

Served cold – straight from the fridge [and allowed to warm over the course of consumption.] Side-poured with standard vigor as no carbonation issues are anticipated.

A: No bubble show forms as it’s poured.

Pours a 1.5 finger wide head of rich khaki colour. Good thickness and creaminess. Good even smooth consistency. Soft complexion. Head retention is good - about 5-6+ minutes. Nice even lacing clings to the sides of the glass as the head recedes.

Body colour is an dark opaque solid black. No floating yeast particles are visible.

Overall, it’s an appealing appearance for an imperial stout, but isn't unique or special. I’m looking forward to trying it.

Sm: Faint chocolate. Dark malts. Cream. Milky notes. Caramel. Cocoa powder.

I'm not finding any burnt character or coffee notes. No real roast. No hop character or yeast character is detectable. I'm looking forward to trying it, as reticent as the aroma is.

A pleasant aroma of below average strength.

T: Dark chocolate, caramel, dark malts, some chocolate bitterness, cocoa powder, cream, buried faint roasted barley, and light marshmallow. Pretty balanced. It's a very cohesive build, but isn't gestalt. Nice complexity and subtlety. Not real nuanced or intricate.

Above average depth of flavour. Average intensity and duration of flavour.

Hides its ABV well. Clean; no yeast character comes through.

Mf: Smooth, wet, creamy, and approachable. Soft and approachable on the palate, without too much weight. Good body and thickness. Complements the flavour profile well, with hints of custom-tailoring to the flavour profile. Somewhat sleek and silky on the palate.

Not oily, gushed, hot, boozy, astringent, or harsh.

Dr: Drinkable and enjoyable, but honestly I expected a lot more given its current 92 rating. I could easily kill this bottle alone. I look forward to trying more beers from Foothills, but this isn't quite world class. I'd buy it again, sure. Pretty tasty stuff.

I never found the espresso/dark fruit notes mentioned on the label.

Low B

3.53/5  rDev -13.7%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

2010 vintage

A- Dark black in color, a dark chocolatey colored head. There is pretty decent lacing

S- Pretty light on the nose. I get some malt, chocolate, and some acidic coffee notes. A touch of nuttiness perhaps.

T- I get a lot of hops initially, and some touches of burnt coffee and chocolate. Not very prominent flavor for what I expected. Not as chocolatey as I imagined.

M- The body is real solid, as is the carbonation. The flavor just isn't there though. It's a little bland.

O- I have another bottle to revisit this at some point, but overall I was slightly let down. My brother sent me a hand bottle of this last year and it was much more chocolatey and thick. Maybe I over hyped this beer in my head..

GFunk

3.52/5  rDev -13.9%

Pours a very deep dark black with a sort of thick brown head and a little lacing. Smells awesome! Smells of tons of coffee and chocolate! For once in this beer, you can actually find the chocolate! Tastes of coffee and more coffee and more coffee and more coffee, and then some malts, smokiness, and chocolate. This beer should be called Sexual Coffee. Mouthfeel is nice and thick with a medium carbonation.

3.5/5  rDev -14.4%

Bottle dated Feb 2015:

Small amount of brown head that dissipated quickly. Deep dark color, as expected. Really no aroma outside a boozy scent. Possibly due to bottle being 6 months old, but I expected the aromas to hold up better. Nice heavy flavor and feel. Not too much of a booze flavor at all and lighter hints of chocolate, also possibly due to age.

3.5/5  rDev -14.4%

Thanks for sharing, Josh! Poured into a tulip. There is a large head of about 2 inches that doesn't stick around except for a thin layer of tan bubbles on top. The body is very black.

The aroma is heavy with burnt char. There is a hint of chocolate and slight grassy hop as well. Maybe a bit of burnt rubber.

The taste is heavy on the burnt character. There is some chocolate sweetness, but compared to other chocolate beers it seems minimal. I should note that several sips in I get a note of authentic bittersweet cocoa (like those 70% chocolate bars).

The body is medium to medium-heavy. The carbonation is soft and bubbly.

Not bad but definitely a disappointment. One would expect more chocolate from a beer with chocolate in the name.

3.48/5  rDev -14.9%

Thanks for the tick oglmcdgl, 2010 vintage into a tulip.

A- Sexual Chocolate is a very black beer that is black as can be and is black. The black is underneath a mocha colored head up above that settles into a slight cap, not so clingy lace.

S- Smell is on the roasty side, it's a big ol' IRS but I smell an infection coming. Besides that roast, chocolate, hoppy appeal, licorice, anise, you know what it is.

T- I did not get the infection that much. It's there and will grow, thank god we caught it now! Sexy Chocolate goes from fudge chocolate, roasty malts, some char, a bit of brownie and dark fruit going into infection.

M- It's a big stout, it's real smushy, glugging down the track. Kinda muddy. For a RIS it works, the infection casts a tangy after taste that is bleh and the carb is there.

O- Really glad I tried this beer, and Im glad it did not get any older. I've been running into mad infection issues with craft stouts recently and it's really turned me off of the style completely.

3.47/5  rDev -15.2%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

thanks to bucketboy for the bottle

Bomber poured into a tulip

A-- Poured a dark brown and settled black with just a half a finger of off white head.

S-- Chocolate, coco, coffee and some dark fruits. More of the dark chocolate variety though.

T-- coco powder, dark chocolate, coffee, and roasted malt. Nothing too exciting about this beer.

M-- Lots of dark chocolate and coco powder. Very dry finish to this. Low carbonation and low feel to this. Bits of coffee here and there.

O-- Good but not outstanding. Coffee and chocolate got bigger as I drank on with this. A bit overhyped I thought.

3.46/5  rDev -15.4%

Thank you morimoto, I opened a bottle of this and passed it around on DLD, not getting the pour I needed. You provided me with a 2nd chance to give it a deserved taste.

A - Pours a fairly dark, +1.5" brown head. Doesn't appear to be that thick, but rather an average or slightly above average RIS body. Looks nice overall with good head retention. A little better looking than par, but doesn't have the long thick legs I'd expected.

S - Smoke and roasted malt. Nothing special at all here for me. The guy next to me likes it, but this isn't his review.

T - Smokey. Roasted Malts. Smokey. Tries to get a little sweet, but then it doesn't and instead stays smokey. I get a little cocoa, NOT CHOCOLATE, towards the end. As I sip on it more, chocolate comes out in the middle of the flavor. Slightly bitter, definitely smokey finish. I think the smoke takes away from the chocolate potential here. I'm not sure where the anticipated chocolate went....maybe it evaporated and rained over at the Bruery. Seriously though, I dislike that I have to drink 1/2 a glass to get that cocoa flavor. I'm starting to enjoy the beer a bit towards the end, but at a tasting I'd be bummed.

M - Good enough body for a RIS. Not as thick as I'd prefer, but there aren't many that are. I respect the thickness. Creamy mouthfeel is positive.

O - I am disappointed with this one. The smoke takes away from what I think is a decent amount of potential. It is evident throughout my entire 10-12oz pour. Chocolate only comes out after 6oz or so. Otherwise, I have to fight to find it. I'm not going to kill the score because I find it to be unique and it does get a lot better as the glass empties. Less smoke is my request. However, I can see how some people could really enjoy this. I think this is a smoked beer drinker's paradise. Unfortunately, it isn't my preference. I think the BA version will probably benefit from the smokiness though.

3.44/5  rDev -15.9%

2011 Vintage

Appearance -- Pours nearly black with two fingers of stiff and sudsy dark khaki head. Suds stick to the glass incredibly well.

Smell -- Chocolate definitely present, along with woodsmoke, black malt, and a great deal of hops - herbal, earthy, and some mild spiciness. Slight booziness is detectable in the nose as well. The overarching character of the smell is definitely not chocolate - more acrid black malt and woodsmoke. Honestly, I think someone would be forgiven if they didn't detect any actual chocolate in this at all.

Taste -- Cocoa, black malt char, woodsmoke, leather, and licorice are most present at first sip. Plenty of malt sweetness, but earthy hop bitterness more than balances. Chocolate really doesn't start to really become evident until it warms up to about room temp. At this point the malt sweetness balances the acrid black malt and hops rather than just being muted by them. Lingering flavors of bakers chocolate and earthy hops.

Mouthfeel -- Fairly full-bodied and chewy with milder carbonation. Feels decadent without being too thick or syrupy. No alcohol presence whatsoever. Absolutely the best feature of this beer.

Overall -- Not at all what I expected. The chocolate really wasn't as forward as the name would suggest, or as much as I would have liked. It seems as if the brewer self-consciously decided to douse this beer with acrid black malt and hop bitterness to prevent it from being one of the diabetes-inducing imperial chocolate stouts of the world.

Admittedly, the feel is nearly pitch-perfect and it looks beautiful in the glass. However, I was hoping for a rich, decadent imperial stout - it's called Sexual Chocolate for goodness sake! - but what I got was burnt, acrid, only slightly chocolate-flavored. In the end, I could take or leave it.

Of course, your mileage may vary.

3.42/5  rDev -16.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

Been wanting to try this one for a while. A local bottleshop put out a few bottles from their cellar and this was in it. Bottle is from 2013 but not sure how it was stored. May have something to do with how this one turned out...

A: Looks great. Pours black with a one finger mocha colored head. Nice and full body with some pretty nice lacing.

S: And here is where it starts going strange. Raisin and soy sauce on the nose with some dark chocolate in the background. This smells really strange and uninviting though.

T: Yeah, this just isn't enjoyable. Lots of raisin with some sourness and not a whole lot else. I don't think this is an ideal sample. I'll report back if I can find another.

3.41/5  rDev -16.6%

Pours black in color with a dark brown head which leaves behind a one-finger lacing throughout. Lacked the nice aromatics I was hoping to pick up on with this special-release brew which was the suggested big chocolate aroma with notes of espresso, blackstrap molasses, dark sweet toffee and dark fruit as the brewery suggested. There was a rough dark chocolate backbone with complex notes of coffee, dark toffee and dark fruit that didn’t sit well with me. I was hughely disappointed with this brew as I traded big for this one and Draft Mag rated this a must-try top 10 beer in 2011.

3.41/5  rDev -16.6%

2010 vintage poured into some Lost Abbey stemware.

Appearance: Pours out dark brown that looks almost opaque when in the glass. I do detect some garnet hues around the edges, which is unexpected. About 1" of khaki colored head forms, which has nice retention and lacing. Seems a bit light in color and in body, but the head retention makes up for that somewhat.

Smell: Well this is a big smoke and roast bomb. Extremely big smoke component in this. Not really getting much else on the nose to be honest. Possibly a bit of sweetness. Milk chocolate?

Taste: Big smoke and roast component, once again on the palate. There is some sweetness that shows in the form of liquorice notes. Tastes better than it smells, but still too smoke dominated.

Mouthfeel: Body is definitely short of full; more in the medium body range. Moderate to low carbonation, which is the only reason this beer drinks smoothly at all. Overall, this is an interesting take on a RIS. Too smoke heavy and one dimensional. Definitely not my favorite from this style.

3.4/5  rDev -16.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

2011 vintage growler poured into a Duvel tulip in February. The pour isn't as much fun without the swank bottle logo, but it's a good-looking dark brew with a finger or so of frothy tan head that leaves a fair amount of lacing.

The nose is markedly more roasted and burnt than the 2010 vintage. Some dark chocolate provides a bit of sweetness, but it's mainly dark malts, fresh ground coffee beans. It smells kinda dry and earthy, and it proves to be just that. Just barely enough chocolate to justify the beer's moniker. Suggestive nickname aside, it's basically a straightforward, big and roasty stout, and a fine one at that. As it dries out at the swallow, some earthy and bitter elements assert themselves.

Overall impression: Solid, not great imperial stout that's worth a try.

3.4/5  rDev -16.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

A= The pour is pitch black with an almost nonexistant head on it. The head is just some spots on top of the beer with a small ring around the glass. There is a small amount of lacing however.

S= The smell is chocolaty and coffee all the way. Not as roasty as a RIS usually is. The smell is somewhat muted but stil very reminicent of a RIS.

T= The taste is a little chocolatey and a little coffee like. Not the most intense taste I've ever had in an RIS. Really mellow. I think the taste is somewhat watery. Somewhat of a dissapointment.

M= While I think the taste is watery the mouth if very nice and thick. Heavy and coating.

D= Thanks to Thomashardy for this one in a trade. This was one of those beers I never thought I would get to try. Unfortunatly it is sort of a let down. A good RIS but not the best I've ever had by far.

3.37/5  rDev -17.6%

Poured a deep mahogany brown/black, with a thin'ish tan head, little visible carbonation, and decent lacing. Smelled of cocoa powder (Bosco'ish), dark chocolate, and very subtle coffee. Very one dimensional. The taste also was one-dimensionally chocolate, chocolate, and more chocolate, with very little in the way of coffee, anise, woodiness, etc. The finish was sweet as well. The most surprising thing was the body, which was thinner than expected, though very smooth. My gut reaction was that this beer would benefit greatly from a little more flavor and texture balance. I know that this is a popular brew, and a lot of people might think that I'm smoking crack as they read this, but maybe I had my hopes too high, as I was genuinely disappointed. I'd be willing to give it another shot though.

3.33/5  rDev -18.6%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

From bottle to Great Lakes 25th Anniversary bruges hybrid...

A. Pours a deep, dark brown with a dark khaki head. The head is tight and consistent with fairly good lacing. Retention is pretty poor, as the bubbles bake off to a thin ring rather quickly. A vigorous swirl, however, brings the head roaring back.

S. Dark baking chocolate, coffee grounds, some oxidation, dried fruit, a bit of molasses. The nose is very subdued and while there are hints of a varied number of flavors, it's not the most complex or inviting bouquet.

T. A little bit of cocoa, just a tough of dark fruit, and then a strong, dry, roasted, and ashy finish. A little bit of a metallic and slightly tannic taste on the mid. Very bitter and dry.

M. Bitter, dry, ashy. The finish is very very dry to the point that it limits the enjoyment of the rest of the flavors. A thin, one-note profile.

O. This is very "okay". The name implies a thick, decadent, luscious stout, but this is anything but. It's thin, dry, bitter, and unrefined. And at nearly $20 a bottle, this is an incredibly poor value. I'm not sure where this beer received its great reputation...I found it instantly forgettable.

3.32/5  rDev -18.8%

The label says February 2016
ALC 9.6% BY VOL
SRM: 53
IBU: 75

Appearance: The body is black and the head is a very short cap with a light brown color. The head doesn't last long and fades into a ring.

Aroma: There is a clear aroma of chocolate. To be specific it smells more like a brownie than something like raw bakers chocolate. The aroma has a sweet smell to it which is very nice. Alcohol is present on the nose which isn't a bad thing given the 9.6% but it is there.

Taste: Right up front there is this slightly bitter charred flavor with a touch of alcohol. It robs the front of the palate of any sweetness that might be there. The alcohol presence again is fairly strong and I'm not really getting any chocolate taste. It tastes a lot like an average Imperial Stout. There is a bit of a woody character in the aftertaste of the beer which is nice but the overall flavor profile makes me miss the chocolate that is present in the aroma.

Mouthfeel: Full bodied beer with a slightly off-dry and bitter finish.

Overall: It's pretty much like your average boozy Imperial Stout. It's good and it is an enjoyable stout but it's hard to be sold on a beer that says "Sexual Chocolate" and doesn't deliver any chocolate flavor.

3.3/5  rDev -19.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Tasted in a Spiegelau tulip during a RIS tasting (with plain crackers and water for palate cleansing between tastings).

Pours a deep, deep dark brown, with mahogany highlights. Head is thin, with little retention or lacing.

Aroma is black olives, a meaty, rich umami note, saline and cherry and dark fruit.

On the palate, milk chocolate comes to the fore, although the saline notes remain, and a bitterness comes through, thin edges and bitter. Some soy sauce and acidity lingers. Complex, interesting, but not terribly GOOD. Body is medium full and exceedingly smooth, but it's lacking a robust mid-palate.

A disappointment, if not a terribly BAD beer.

3.3/5  rDev -19.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

2011 vintage

Pours black with a downy, khaki head.

With a name like "Sexual Chocolate," I was expecting more sweetness on the nose. Boy was I wrong: there's a lot of burnt toast and espresso along with some light smoke and only a bit of baker's chocolate. There's some leather here too. I usually hate seeing that descriptor in a review (who the hell has tasted leather?) but I don't know how else to describe it. In sum, there's a lot going on in the smell department but it's hard to tell where this beer is going.

Mouthfeel is on the lighter side but with a pleasant velvet texture.

The taste is also surprisingly devoid of chocolate (and sex for that matter, although my expectations were much lower in that regard). Bitter roast espresso has the featured position. Some light smoke and maybe a bit of baker's chocolate provide some added depth. There's a lot to digest by mid-sip, but the beer begins to fall apart at the finish line with some astringency and alcohol heat. This is a perfectly fine stout, but it needs more sweetness to provide complexity and balance.

Sexual Chocolate from Foothills Brewing Company - Downtown Brewpub