Already subscribe? to manage your subscription.

Sexual Chocolate - Foothills Brewing Company - Downtown Brewpub

Russian Imperial Stout |  9.75% ABV

Beer added by: SaCkErZ9 on 02-15-2007

Reviews: 438 | Hads: 1,195
3.5/5  rDev -14.2%

Thanks for sharing, Josh! Poured into a tulip. There is a large head of about 2 inches that doesn't stick around except for a thin layer of tan bubbles on top. The body is very black.

The aroma is heavy with burnt char. There is a hint of chocolate and slight grassy hop as well. Maybe a bit of burnt rubber.

The taste is heavy on the burnt character. There is some chocolate sweetness, but compared to other chocolate beers it seems minimal. I should note that several sips in I get a note of authentic bittersweet cocoa (like those 70% chocolate bars).

The body is medium to medium-heavy. The carbonation is soft and bubbly.

Not bad but definitely a disappointment. One would expect more chocolate from a beer with chocolate in the name. (743 characters)

3.48/5  rDev -14.7%

Thanks for the tick oglmcdgl, 2010 vintage into a tulip.

A- Sexual Chocolate is a very black beer that is black as can be and is black. The black is underneath a mocha colored head up above that settles into a slight cap, not so clingy lace.

S- Smell is on the roasty side, it's a big ol' IRS but I smell an infection coming. Besides that roast, chocolate, hoppy appeal, licorice, anise, you know what it is.

T- I did not get the infection that much. It's there and will grow, thank god we caught it now! Sexy Chocolate goes from fudge chocolate, roasty malts, some char, a bit of brownie and dark fruit going into infection.

M- It's a big stout, it's real smushy, glugging down the track. Kinda muddy. For a RIS it works, the infection casts a tangy after taste that is bleh and the carb is there.

O- Really glad I tried this beer, and Im glad it did not get any older. I've been running into mad infection issues with craft stouts recently and it's really turned me off of the style completely. (1,001 characters)

3.47/5  rDev -15%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

thanks to bucketboy for the bottle

Bomber poured into a tulip

A-- Poured a dark brown and settled black with just a half a finger of off white head.

S-- Chocolate, coco, coffee and some dark fruits. More of the dark chocolate variety though.

T-- coco powder, dark chocolate, coffee, and roasted malt. Nothing too exciting about this beer.

M-- Lots of dark chocolate and coco powder. Very dry finish to this. Low carbonation and low feel to this. Bits of coffee here and there.

O-- Good but not outstanding. Coffee and chocolate got bigger as I drank on with this. A bit overhyped I thought. (600 characters)

3.46/5  rDev -15.2%

Thank you morimoto, I opened a bottle of this and passed it around on DLD, not getting the pour I needed. You provided me with a 2nd chance to give it a deserved taste.

A - Pours a fairly dark, +1.5" brown head. Doesn't appear to be that thick, but rather an average or slightly above average RIS body. Looks nice overall with good head retention. A little better looking than par, but doesn't have the long thick legs I'd expected.

S - Smoke and roasted malt. Nothing special at all here for me. The guy next to me likes it, but this isn't his review.

T - Smokey. Roasted Malts. Smokey. Tries to get a little sweet, but then it doesn't and instead stays smokey. I get a little cocoa, NOT CHOCOLATE, towards the end. As I sip on it more, chocolate comes out in the middle of the flavor. Slightly bitter, definitely smokey finish. I think the smoke takes away from the chocolate potential here. I'm not sure where the anticipated chocolate went....maybe it evaporated and rained over at the Bruery. Seriously though, I dislike that I have to drink 1/2 a glass to get that cocoa flavor. I'm starting to enjoy the beer a bit towards the end, but at a tasting I'd be bummed.

M - Good enough body for a RIS. Not as thick as I'd prefer, but there aren't many that are. I respect the thickness. Creamy mouthfeel is positive.

O - I am disappointed with this one. The smoke takes away from what I think is a decent amount of potential. It is evident throughout my entire 10-12oz pour. Chocolate only comes out after 6oz or so. Otherwise, I have to fight to find it. I'm not going to kill the score because I find it to be unique and it does get a lot better as the glass empties. Less smoke is my request. However, I can see how some people could really enjoy this. I think this is a smoked beer drinker's paradise. Unfortunately, it isn't my preference. I think the BA version will probably benefit from the smokiness though. (1,923 characters)

3.44/5  rDev -15.7%

2011 Vintage

Appearance -- Pours nearly black with two fingers of stiff and sudsy dark khaki head. Suds stick to the glass incredibly well.

Smell -- Chocolate definitely present, along with woodsmoke, black malt, and a great deal of hops - herbal, earthy, and some mild spiciness. Slight booziness is detectable in the nose as well. The overarching character of the smell is definitely not chocolate - more acrid black malt and woodsmoke. Honestly, I think someone would be forgiven if they didn't detect any actual chocolate in this at all.

Taste -- Cocoa, black malt char, woodsmoke, leather, and licorice are most present at first sip. Plenty of malt sweetness, but earthy hop bitterness more than balances. Chocolate really doesn't start to really become evident until it warms up to about room temp. At this point the malt sweetness balances the acrid black malt and hops rather than just being muted by them. Lingering flavors of bakers chocolate and earthy hops.

Mouthfeel -- Fairly full-bodied and chewy with milder carbonation. Feels decadent without being too thick or syrupy. No alcohol presence whatsoever. Absolutely the best feature of this beer.

Overall -- Not at all what I expected. The chocolate really wasn't as forward as the name would suggest, or as much as I would have liked. It seems as if the brewer self-consciously decided to douse this beer with acrid black malt and hop bitterness to prevent it from being one of the diabetes-inducing imperial chocolate stouts of the world.

Admittedly, the feel is nearly pitch-perfect and it looks beautiful in the glass. However, I was hoping for a rich, decadent imperial stout - it's called Sexual Chocolate for goodness sake! - but what I got was burnt, acrid, only slightly chocolate-flavored. In the end, I could take or leave it.

Of course, your mileage may vary. (1,842 characters)

3.42/5  rDev -16.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

Been wanting to try this one for a while. A local bottleshop put out a few bottles from their cellar and this was in it. Bottle is from 2013 but not sure how it was stored. May have something to do with how this one turned out...

A: Looks great. Pours black with a one finger mocha colored head. Nice and full body with some pretty nice lacing.

S: And here is where it starts going strange. Raisin and soy sauce on the nose with some dark chocolate in the background. This smells really strange and uninviting though.

T: Yeah, this just isn't enjoyable. Lots of raisin with some sourness and not a whole lot else. I don't think this is an ideal sample. I'll report back if I can find another. (696 characters)

3.41/5  rDev -16.4%

Pours black in color with a dark brown head which leaves behind a one-finger lacing throughout. Lacked the nice aromatics I was hoping to pick up on with this special-release brew which was the suggested big chocolate aroma with notes of espresso, blackstrap molasses, dark sweet toffee and dark fruit as the brewery suggested. There was a rough dark chocolate backbone with complex notes of coffee, dark toffee and dark fruit that didn’t sit well with me. I was hughely disappointed with this brew as I traded big for this one and Draft Mag rated this a must-try top 10 beer in 2011. (586 characters)

3.41/5  rDev -16.4%

2010 vintage poured into some Lost Abbey stemware.

Appearance: Pours out dark brown that looks almost opaque when in the glass. I do detect some garnet hues around the edges, which is unexpected. About 1" of khaki colored head forms, which has nice retention and lacing. Seems a bit light in color and in body, but the head retention makes up for that somewhat.

Smell: Well this is a big smoke and roast bomb. Extremely big smoke component in this. Not really getting much else on the nose to be honest. Possibly a bit of sweetness. Milk chocolate?

Taste: Big smoke and roast component, once again on the palate. There is some sweetness that shows in the form of liquorice notes. Tastes better than it smells, but still too smoke dominated.

Mouthfeel: Body is definitely short of full; more in the medium body range. Moderate to low carbonation, which is the only reason this beer drinks smoothly at all. Overall, this is an interesting take on a RIS. Too smoke heavy and one dimensional. Definitely not my favorite from this style. (1,036 characters)

3.4/5  rDev -16.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

2011 vintage growler poured into a Duvel tulip in February. The pour isn't as much fun without the swank bottle logo, but it's a good-looking dark brew with a finger or so of frothy tan head that leaves a fair amount of lacing.

The nose is markedly more roasted and burnt than the 2010 vintage. Some dark chocolate provides a bit of sweetness, but it's mainly dark malts, fresh ground coffee beans. It smells kinda dry and earthy, and it proves to be just that. Just barely enough chocolate to justify the beer's moniker. Suggestive nickname aside, it's basically a straightforward, big and roasty stout, and a fine one at that. As it dries out at the swallow, some earthy and bitter elements assert themselves.

Overall impression: Solid, not great imperial stout that's worth a try. (785 characters)

3.4/5  rDev -16.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

A= The pour is pitch black with an almost nonexistant head on it. The head is just some spots on top of the beer with a small ring around the glass. There is a small amount of lacing however.

S= The smell is chocolaty and coffee all the way. Not as roasty as a RIS usually is. The smell is somewhat muted but stil very reminicent of a RIS.

T= The taste is a little chocolatey and a little coffee like. Not the most intense taste I've ever had in an RIS. Really mellow. I think the taste is somewhat watery. Somewhat of a dissapointment.

M= While I think the taste is watery the mouth if very nice and thick. Heavy and coating.

D= Thanks to Thomashardy for this one in a trade. This was one of those beers I never thought I would get to try. Unfortunatly it is sort of a let down. A good RIS but not the best I've ever had by far. (834 characters)

3.37/5  rDev -17.4%

Poured a deep mahogany brown/black, with a thin'ish tan head, little visible carbonation, and decent lacing. Smelled of cocoa powder (Bosco'ish), dark chocolate, and very subtle coffee. Very one dimensional. The taste also was one-dimensionally chocolate, chocolate, and more chocolate, with very little in the way of coffee, anise, woodiness, etc. The finish was sweet as well. The most surprising thing was the body, which was thinner than expected, though very smooth. My gut reaction was that this beer would benefit greatly from a little more flavor and texture balance. I know that this is a popular brew, and a lot of people might think that I'm smoking crack as they read this, but maybe I had my hopes too high, as I was genuinely disappointed. I'd be willing to give it another shot though. (800 characters)

3.33/5  rDev -18.4%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

From bottle to Great Lakes 25th Anniversary bruges hybrid...

A. Pours a deep, dark brown with a dark khaki head. The head is tight and consistent with fairly good lacing. Retention is pretty poor, as the bubbles bake off to a thin ring rather quickly. A vigorous swirl, however, brings the head roaring back.

S. Dark baking chocolate, coffee grounds, some oxidation, dried fruit, a bit of molasses. The nose is very subdued and while there are hints of a varied number of flavors, it's not the most complex or inviting bouquet.

T. A little bit of cocoa, just a tough of dark fruit, and then a strong, dry, roasted, and ashy finish. A little bit of a metallic and slightly tannic taste on the mid. Very bitter and dry.

M. Bitter, dry, ashy. The finish is very very dry to the point that it limits the enjoyment of the rest of the flavors. A thin, one-note profile.

O. This is very "okay". The name implies a thick, decadent, luscious stout, but this is anything but. It's thin, dry, bitter, and unrefined. And at nearly $20 a bottle, this is an incredibly poor value. I'm not sure where this beer received its great reputation...I found it instantly forgettable. (1,166 characters)

3.3/5  rDev -19.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Tasted in a Spiegelau tulip during a RIS tasting (with plain crackers and water for palate cleansing between tastings).

Pours a deep, deep dark brown, with mahogany highlights. Head is thin, with little retention or lacing.

Aroma is black olives, a meaty, rich umami note, saline and cherry and dark fruit.

On the palate, milk chocolate comes to the fore, although the saline notes remain, and a bitterness comes through, thin edges and bitter. Some soy sauce and acidity lingers. Complex, interesting, but not terribly GOOD. Body is medium full and exceedingly smooth, but it's lacking a robust mid-palate.

A disappointment, if not a terribly BAD beer. (658 characters)

3.3/5  rDev -19.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

2011 vintage

Pours black with a downy, khaki head.

With a name like "Sexual Chocolate," I was expecting more sweetness on the nose. Boy was I wrong: there's a lot of burnt toast and espresso along with some light smoke and only a bit of baker's chocolate. There's some leather here too. I usually hate seeing that descriptor in a review (who the hell has tasted leather?) but I don't know how else to describe it. In sum, there's a lot going on in the smell department but it's hard to tell where this beer is going.

Mouthfeel is on the lighter side but with a pleasant velvet texture.

The taste is also surprisingly devoid of chocolate (and sex for that matter, although my expectations were much lower in that regard). Bitter roast espresso has the featured position. Some light smoke and maybe a bit of baker's chocolate provide some added depth. There's a lot to digest by mid-sip, but the beer begins to fall apart at the finish line with some astringency and alcohol heat. This is a perfectly fine stout, but it needs more sweetness to provide complexity and balance. (1,077 characters)

3.28/5  rDev -19.6%

At Churchkey in DC, a 10 oz snifter for $9 of the 2009 vintage. First time I've ever seen anything from Foothills in DC/Nova/MD area.

This experience with the beer wasn't all that impressive. The beer is served in a snifter that is about 4/5 near black, opaque liquid with a large, dense foamy tan head that hangs around the duration of the beer and leaves thick sheets of lacing. Aroma is mild blend of expected roast malt, cocoa, milk chocolate, slightly powdery. Carbonation is very low throughout and body is generally silky and smooth, but marginally thin for the style and slightly watery in the finish. Flavor is one dimensional, natural milk chocolate and cocoa powder with a mild sweet malt body. Little to no hop, fruit, char or alcohol presence resulting in an overall lack of balance. I'm waiting to try a bottle of the 2010 release and have greatly diminished expectations for that, but I'm still holding out hope that will be a little more complex, interesting and nuanced. However if this keg was representative of what everyone else has sampled for this beer, then for me this is easily one of the most undeservedly over hyped and sought after beers I've tried.

edit: Reading other reviews from the same night it's like we had two different beers. I wonder if I had a dirty glass or...I don't know, something seems off. Wouldn't be first time that's happened to me there. (1,389 characters)

3.26/5  rDev -20.1%

Poured from a bomber into a pint glass. February 2010 vintage

A- pours black with a one finger tan head. Retention of the head is solid. Looks nice

S- light chocolate. Not much going on. Maybe past its prime?

T- yeah, definitely past its prime. Getting a little bit of chocolate, and not much else. Slight bitterness. Very blah

M- body is viscous, very solid

O- nearly three years is too much to hold on to this beer. Wasn't a huge fan of it with that much age on it...oh well. (482 characters)

3.23/5  rDev -20.8%

Poured into a 7oz glass snifter.

Smell dominates of fig and dark fruit. Slight hint of bakers chocolate as it warms. A finger and a half worth of mocha head. Lacing is evident.

Taste is of smoke and peat. Teriyaki and meat coincide. This beer is chewy for all the wrong reasons. The smoke and meat dominate my mouth and flavor profile. It was hard to finish my small pour.

Honestly this was a one time experience. I wouldn't drink it again if it was free. Meat filled boring garbage. (486 characters)

3.23/5  rDev -20.8%

Huge thanks to khiasmus for this one

22oz bomber poured into my snifter

The appearance is opaque black with a two inch mocha colored head. Average head retention with a very thin layer sitting on top of the beer and sides of the glass. Lacing was notable when you slosh the beer around.

Aroma consist of dark chocolate, black strap molasses, espresso, cocoa nibs, vanilla, tobacco, black leather, and dark fruits.

Upfront slightly sweet taste of cocoa and milk chocolate with vanilla and molasses following. Espresso and dark fruits show midway with a slightly roasted dry bitter coffee finish.

Mouthfeel is medium bodied and a tad thin for being a stout. Finish is actually a bit watered down and the flavors seem not to follow throughout the taste.

Overall as excited as I was to try this beer, I will say I was let down. Sadly I'm afraid to say there is way better stouts that are easily more available to get. (920 characters)

3.19/5  rDev -21.8%

A: Black as night with a fair amount of tan head.

S: Smoke, coffee, some roasted malts, more smoke.

T: Did I mention smoke? Wow, this is smokier than some Smoked Porters I have had. It had way too much imitation smoke flavor for my liking. Where is the chocolate?

M: Slightly oily and slick.

O: This thing should not have the word "Chocolate" in the title it should be Sexual Smoke. There was very little sweetness. (419 characters)

3.17/5  rDev -22.3%

Feb. '14 vintage, with major thanks to Eli.
Poured into a Sexual Chocolate teku. Room temperature. Abyssmal black color, with two fingers of rocky mocha head that settled to a ringlet, leaving some soapy lacing on the glass. Dark roasty malts in the nose, distant raw cocoa, some herbal hop bitterness. Taste was surprisingly bitter, roasted dark malts and espresso, toasted grains, char, raw cocoa was present but quite muted, herbal and citrusy hops. This was really a let-down. Basically a plain stout, and pretty homebrewy, which is mostly the impression I've gotten from all of Foothills' beers thus far. Really neither sexual nor chocolate. Body was medium, mouthfeel thin, bitter and somewhat harsh, well, far from smooth anyway. The higher ABV was on the subdued side at least. I was glad to have gotten to try this, but it was a major disappointment. (859 characters)

3.16/5  rDev -22.5%

2011 bottle split with airohead2001.

A: The beer pours a dark, dark brown with a 1 finger cappuccino colored head that has moderate retention and a bit of lacing.

S: Well, it doesn’t smell bad, but there’s not much there at all. I get a little bit of earthiness/nuttiness, and If I search really, really deep I think I can convince myself there’s some milk chocolate.

T: The start is sweet, lactic, burnt and kind of gross. The middle has a bit of coffee/chocolate, although the chocolate is not prominent at all. The finish is actually like that of a pretty good imperial stout with a nice balance of hops and roasted malt. It’s too bad the up front flavor kind of throws off the overall experience.

M: A bit thin for my likely of this style, with appropriate carbonation. The aftertaste is better than the overall taste.

O: Overall, I wasn’t very impressed with this beer. The chocolate was not nearly as smooth or well-done as I had hoped. Across the bored it was fairly bland and uninteresting. Hopefully the barrel-aged version is better…I hope to crack that one sometime soon. (1,099 characters)

3.14/5  rDev -23%

2011 Vintage

A: Pours a deep black with a very nice brown/khaki colored head. Great head retention and lacing that forms all around glass. Really nice looking beer.

S: Something a bit different about the aroma that I can't quite put my finger on. It is slightly astringent, with a good bit of roasted/charred dark malt and a bit of chocolate.

T: Wow, extremely roasty. The roasted malt really dominates the flavor profile, really don't get as much chocolate as I was expecting/hoping. There is a little bit of milk chocolate in the mid-palate which comes across slightly creamy.

M: Medium bodied, on the creamier side, no sign of alcohol at all.

O: Really not very chocolaty. Not a bad stout, but seems rather basic. A bit of a let down based on the hype around it. (774 characters)

3.13/5  rDev -23.3%

728th Review on BA
Bottle to snifter
22oz
2010 Vintage

Clusterfork7

Thanks to Gurudel for this one.

App- It was a nice mix of browns, reds for a stout but just too light. A nice one finger slightly lighter khaki colored head was there but receded quickly.

Smell- What the hell happened here? This is sexual chocolate? Its a mix of smoke, bacon and wood. I think something went very wrong.

Taste- At least on the taste of the beer its not so bad. Its still a pretty good stout but dont see what all the fuss is on this one. Nice run of the mill stout flavors and has a subdued malt presence. Not a hoppy stout either. Has a good roast note but just a tinge of that woody bacon flavor.

Mouth- A medium bodied stout with a paired carbonation level. A little velvety on the residual flavors. This was best part of this beer.

Drink- It was unremarkable for as much hype as this beer gets. I hope this was just a bad bottle or the vintage isnt as good as other. I probably wont trade for any other years after this one. (1,020 characters)

3.13/5  rDev -23.3%

Bottle from crackedkettle, 2008 vintage.
Look: the beer pours dark black color with a medium brown head
Smell: Roasted malts, coffee, caramel, sweet molasses, hops and very very light chocolate.
Taste: The taste follows the nose. Malts, old coffee, caramel and very light chocolate but also some red fruits. The beer has a sharp bittersweet aftertaste.
Mouthfeel: Thin and watery body, medium carbonation
Overall: Highly overrated. Old coffee with almost no chocolate. Thin and unbalanced. Tons of better beers in this style (524 characters)

3.11/5  rDev -23.8%

2010 bottle opened at the tasting this past weekend. Poured into a snifter.

Appearance: Pours almost black with a reddish ring around the edge when the light hits it. There is a layer of tan head that fades quickly.

Smell: Sweet and very smokey with some alcohol heat. Smells like this is going to be a bitter stout.

Taste: This beer is too bitter. Really roasty with some smoke and hop bitterness as well. There is some dark fruit, but the bitterness seems to hide any chocolate that could be found. Not very smooth.

Mouthfeel: The body is on the thin side for the style with tingly carbonation and a dry finish.

Overall: This beer is a lot more bitter than it needs to be. I really would have liked this beer to be smoother and have a stronger chocolate presence. (770 characters)

Sexual Chocolate from Foothills Brewing Company - Downtown Brewpub