Sexual Chocolate - Foothills Brewing Company - Downtown Brewpub

Russian Imperial Stout |  9.75% ABV

Beer added by: SaCkErZ9 on 02-15-2007

Reviews: 441 | Hads: 1,214
4.57/5  rDev +11.7%

Loki was nice enough to hook me up with this in a recent trade. huge thanks to kip for letting me try this rare treat.

22oz bottle, number 467/500. sampled march 15/08.

pours opaque black with a big dense dark brown head. the head on this thing lasts forever, dropping very slowly and leaving lots of lace behind.

aroma is great. milk and dark chocolate. bittersweet chocolate. hint of coffee. light roast. big bready malt. it's like a big slice of chocolate cake. or maybe a cakey chocolate donut with chocolate on top. bit of caramel.

taste is excellent. big dark and milk chocolate. bittersweet chocolate too, but not enough to unbalance it. bit of coffee. bready malt. really like the cake/donut character here too. bit of caramel. molasses. maybe some honey too? bit of dark fruit. light roast. medium-low bitterness level.

mouthfeel is good. super smooth well integrated medium-low carbonation level. medium-large body.

drinkability is excellent. well balanced, hiding its alcohol well. great chocolate profile that is interesting yet still lets the stout come through. great stuff.

4.58/5  rDev +12%

Had as part of a wonderful 3 year vertical at the Flying Saucer in Charlotte, NC!

It poured a deep and opaque black color with a dark brown head. There was a big chocolate aroma with notes of espresso, more chocolate and a subtle following of molasses, dark sweet toffee and dark fruit. Smooth dark chocolate backbone, both bittersweet and malt, with complex notes of coffee, dark toffee and dark fruit. Each sip leaves you craving another. This Imperial stout weighs in around 10% ABV and is worth every bit of hype it gets!

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

2008 Vintage served the day before the release at Foothills.

A. Jet black with a medium brown fluffy head. The head is very sheety down the sides of the glass leaving rings on every sip.

S. Cocoa, milk chocolate, cream, and coffee.

T. Rich milk chocolate with a nice coffee accent. Very smooth-smoother than the 09-and well blended. A touch of raisins and cream round out the taste.

M. Thick and chewy, oatmeal like. Very slick, though, and creamy.

D. For a big beer, this is way too drinkable. I could hurt myself on this one. Believe the hype, people.

4.6/5  rDev +12.5%

Thanks cvstrickland for this bottle way back that I finally broke out. 2009, bottle #480/600

This beer poured out a pitch black with a two finger tan head. This beer looks like she's got some long legs and knows how to use them.

Smells chocolate, coffee, some cherries and dark fruits. A sweet syrupy smell rounds out the nose.

This is one of the best imperial stouts i've tasted. Molasses, cocoa, chocolate, some coffee. A great blend of sweetness is in this foxy mofo.

Great beer, very memorable beer.

4.6/5  rDev +12.5%

Filled at The Charleston Beer Exchange filled on 2/15 enjoyed on 2/17 poured into my Duvel glass.

A: This is the "black stuff" as the Brits refer to their stouts. Motor oil black with a dark caramel head of about 1 1/2 finger head.

S: Chocolate and coffee with some wonderful earthy notes.

T: Roasted dark chocolate and the slight spice kick associated with dark chocolate or with a ligero cigar. Roasted malts. Hops are not really noticeable on my palate.

M: Very thick. Just right for a stout of this caliber, creamy with a low amount of carbonation.

D: High, at about 10% ABV i was feeling it halfway thru my first glass, so I cant recommend this on an empty stomach or when you need to do something afterword. But it is fantastic after a large meal. Skip desert and drink this.

4.6/5  rDev +12.5%

Receive bottle via trade (52/600) cap was leaking when I got it so I had to open it qucik :( Aroma is chocolate, coffee, and sticky molasses. Such a great aroma that fills the air when poured. Flavor is exceptional. Balanced, not too much chocolate. Roasted malts, chocolate, coffee, and some alcohol but in a complementary fashion not overpowering. Smooth, creamy and rich mouthfeel with light carbonation. Great for an impy. It's sad that I'm going to lose this fine brew through the process of digestion.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

"Women need a reason to have sex. Men just need a place."

--Billy Crystal

Bottle 343/500. Roasted coffee bean black with no highlights whatsoever. It's impossible to rank the biggest beer black holes of all-time, but this one has to be in the top dozen or so. The impressive, stately crown is the color of milk chocolate mousse and looks to be equally as creamy. It's also plastering the glass with shredded sheets of lace that stick like glue.

The nose is *almost* everything that anyone could possibly want in an RIS. Although the beer doesn't smell as overwhelmingly chocolate-like as anticipated, that isn't necessarily a negative. Other than bittersweet chocolate... dark toffee, dark fruit and molasses seem especially prominent.

Sexual Chocolate is excellent beer, even if it doesn't quite match the best of the style. The first several mouthfuls tell me that its reputation is well-earned. After having a few ounces at Darkness Day '08, I knew that I had to find a bomber, no matter what it took. Thanks hrking.

It tastes like FBC was shooting for a chocolate-accented RIS rather than a thunderously chocolate double stout like Southern Tier Choklat. I think they're both fantastic in different ways. This one might be more complex (although not necessarily better) since the flavors that accompany hugely roasted malt are allowed to come through.

Those flavors include... dark chocolate fudge flecked with cocoa nibs and crushed coffee beans, blackstrap molasses, raisin paste and tangy plums macerated in Sambucca. Don't start it out too cool because it really opens up as room temperature approaches. Hard to believe the ABV is 9.75%.

It's tempting to nudge the flavor score to the pinnacle, but it falls *just* short. Not so the drinkability score. The body/mouthfeel was slightly disappointing initially. However, it has firmed up and smoothed out over time. Impressively so. As I enter the bottom half of the bomber, it's sensuously smooth and heavily silky. Ooo baby!

Here's hoping that Foothills Brewing has more than 500 bottles in the pipeline for this year's release. It would be great if every RIS loving BA could see what all the fuss is about. There's no question that Sexual Chocolate is one of the great ones.

4.61/5  rDev +12.7%

Thanks to mikesgroove for this on - really looking forward to it!

A: Pour is black as night. Looks like molasses. Thick and viscous. Great looking 2-2.5 finger of dark tan head.

S: Smell of deep roasted malts and some chocolate, a bit of dark fruit and coffee.

T: Complex. Trying to nail down what it is on the front of the tongue. Some vanilla? Dark cherry? Middle and back are much clearer. Ton of malt and chocolate and some smoke in the middle followed by a strong coffee bitterness.

M: Medium to full body. Carbonation seems right

D: High in general and very high for the style. Now I gotta get a bottle (hopefully 2) to try!

4.62/5  rDev +13%

Sampled from gravity pour multiple times at Brewvival.

Pours black with a thin tan head. The head recedes into a thin layer on top leaving decent lacing.

Smells of robust roasted malts with semi-sweet chocolate and tobacco. Also present are very slight hints of boozy figs.

Tastes even better than it smells. Perfect amounts of roasted malt and dark chocolate flavors kick things off. Joining in shortly thereafter are smooth tobacco flavors and lighter chocolate. Very light amounts of smokiness join in midway through the sip before being overtaken by slight amounts of dark fruit flavors. The dark chocolate, roasted malt, and tobacco flavors push aside the dark fruit flavors and carry through to a moderately bitter ending.

Mouthfeel is good. It's got a nice thickness with soft carbonation.

Drinkability is very good. I finished my glass quickly and could easily have a few more.

Overall this beer benefitted from the cask treatment as the cocoa nibs were able to shine with gusto. My one qualm with the cask conditioning is that the mouthfeel suffers slightly. Still, if you see this beer on cask don't hesitate, it'll go fast as it well should, very much worth a shot.

4.62/5  rDev +13%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Thanks to jojomda & grant217 for sending me bottles of this. I'm still hoarding the bottle Mr. 217 sent me, so this is the fresh February 2010 batch. It says so on the label.

Pours black as any RIS or bottom of a coal mine. As it warms a bit, the smell is rather startling - so rich it's a bit like brandy, thick with alcohol, dark, & rich. Excellent. Makes me think there's a good thing coming to my lips.

Bitter roasted malts kick off the Chocolate Sex experience, stopping just short of coffee, but drifting towards charcoal. Earthy & elemental, & the advertised chocolate is a chin-stroking afterthought to the singe. Grainy & gritty, with a fist-bump of hops that linger into the aftertaste & leave a nice ring around the ashes of the campfire in my mouth. Mmmm.

(By the way, I love roasted, charred, burned, etc. malts, so most of that previous paragraph was intended as a compliment...we now return to our regularly scheduled review)

Nice & thick, with a stickiness that really sticks to your ribs, & everything else. This is almost a full meal in & of itself. Despite that, I'm sure that if my wife decides she doesn't want her half of the bottle, I'll happily dispose of it for her.

Well, I wasn't sure at first, but as this one warms, it opens like the roses after a steady rain. Black roses, of course. I'm already looking forward to the 2008 bottle that's been resting for a long time in the cellar. Maybe next year...

4.63/5  rDev +13.2%

This beer is about as dark as a beer could be. Black with a nice thick tan head. The smell is coffee, a little oatmeal and a ton of chocolate. The taste is chocolate. No hop bitterness, just mainly a ton of chocolate and a hint of coffee. The mouthfeel is smooth and creamy with just a hint of smoke. Served at room temp. The abv is not too noticable and the beer has a long lasting aftertaste. I will certanly try this beer again sometime.

4.63/5  rDev +13.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

22 oz bomber, poured into a tulip glass.

A- Pours black, caramel-colored head.

S- BIG roasty aroma; deep chocolate.

T- Very roasted, chocolate/cocoa flavor, mild fruitiness

M- Full-bodied, low carbonation, thick feel.

O- Solid stout, unique, worth seeking out.

4.63/5  rDev +13.2%

While I was at Bruisin' Ales in Asheville today picking up some KBS Jason told me that Barley's down the street still had some Sexual Chocolate on tap. As highly regarded as this brew is I figured I couldn't miss out on this opportunity so I headed down the road to grab myself a glass. I had the beer at 3:30 pm so there was no smoke or anything in the air to cloud my nose and lots of light to see the beer. This review is from my notes.

Appearance: Brought to my table in a 10.5 oz. goblet. This beer is a dark, dark black color, and while it's hard to say if it's the blackest beer I've ever had it is definitely up there. The head was a gorgeous dark brown color, darker than chocolate milk with a wonderful soft, pillowy texture. The head is also very sticky and as I drank it left enormous amounts of lace on the glass, at times almost blanketing the entire glass.

Smell: The nose of this beer is full of different aromas, the strongest of which is dark chocolate. It also has the usual chocolate/espresso interplay that Russian Imperial Stouts have, and these aromas are supplemented by notes of blackstrap molasses, treacle toffee, and raisins.

Taste: With the first sip of this beer I realize that it definitely deserves its reputation. It starts off with a wonderful sweet chocolate flavor, moves to a strong dark malt flavor, and finishes with just a bit of hop bitterness. That may sound pretty standard, but what sets this beer apart from other stouts is how well Foothills has balanced out these flavors. The chocolate is sweet but not milky, the malt is roasted but not at all charred like some beers, and the hops are prevalent enough to taste but faint enough to give this beer an excellent finish that, even after the full goblet, was never bitter. Unlike some Russian Imperial Stouts that are so hoppy in the finish they destroy your palate this one is, as Goldilocks said, "just right".

Mouthfeel: This is one exceptionally creamy beer. The mouthfeel is somewhat akin to what I can imagine drinking liquid cream would be like, and it is so creamy it reminds me of a milk stout. The carbonation is also very low, further giving this beer a thick, luscious mouthfeel. Overall an ungodly creamy, yet full-bodied, brew and I feel like only a 5 fully does the mouthfeel of this beer justice.

Drinkability: There is absolutely no taste of the 10% ABV in this beer, and compared to the Storm King Imperial Stout I drank last night this beer is much more drinkable, which is saying a lot considering I gave Storm King a 4.5 in that category. This beer, however, deserves the 5 that it will receive from me.

Notes: Overall I was very impressed with this beer, and my only complaint is that I didn't get a chance to buy any bottles during this year's release. I love stouts, and there are lots of good ones out there, but Foothills Sexual Chocolate is definitely one of the best. It looks beautiful and smells incredible, but the taste and the mouthfeel are what really set it apart from its peers. If you ever get the chance to sample this beer, don't pass it up; you'll be disappointed if you do.

4.63/5  rDev +13.2%

Had 4 or 5 samples of this at EBF. From notes.

A: Poured jet black with about a finger of coffee/mocha colored head.

S: The nose was a nice mixture of roasted malts and chocolate. The chocolate really was clear and blasted through the roast though. A touch of an earthy smell but the nose was really clean on this.

T: Chocolate right up front. A mixture of cocoa powder and milk chocolate. Again like the nose the roast is there but chocolate is firmly on the center stage. A nice sweetness runs throughout. You do get a touch of hop bitterness in the finish.

M: Medium to heavy body. A little bit on the dry side.

D: A really drinkable RIS. Glad I got to try this but I don't know if I would give up the farm for this. However if this were local to me I would grab every chance I could to have this. Great beer.

4.65/5  rDev +13.7%

Black is beautiful. This beer pours real dark almost black and has a nice light tan head. The first sip is bliss with the taste of roasted malts and dark chocolate dancing on your tongue. There is a slight undertone of coffee that makes this a complete flavor experience. If you are a stout lover and in the area of the foothils brewing company then get to this beer as fast as you can.

4.66/5  rDev +13.9%

A great Russian Imperial. Not too much on the nose, but my worries were quickly banished after the first sip. Dark chocolate and coffee swarmed beautifully into my mouth. The mouthfeel is spectacular and oily enough to really make the impression last. The taste just lingers forever after the experience.

4.67/5  rDev +14.2%

Thanks to kipple for a bottle of Randy Watson's love potion. Shared with my lovely wife, in two Stone IRS stems.

As suspected, poured super black with a pretty 2 fingers of nougat-brown frothy head.

Aromas of java, dark chocolate, tiny amount of fumey alcohol with some campfire smoke.

Very nice taste that continued to change as it warmed. As each flavor was present, none totally dominated the experience. Started out with a pronounced dark chocolate flavor, slightly oily on the lips. A nice flash of hot alcohol with hop flavor came next then dissolved into a creamy mouthfeel. Finished pretty hot, slightly hoppy with a hint of dried cherry coating the palate. Again, with none of these flavors dominating.

SC has everything I love in a RIS and am so happy to have shared this with my lovely. We are planning to watch 'Coming to America' tonight on TNT.

2009 Release; purchased at the brewery on SC Day '09

This year I made my first pilgrimage to Foothills for the limited release of Sexual Chocolate, and I was lucky enough to get my four-bottle quota. That chilly February day I drank my fair share of that chocolatey goodness on draft, but I've never yet had it bottled.... I traded three of my precious orange-and-brown-sugar-clad bombers with some great BAs across the nation, but I saved one, this single lonely lady of soul, and she has been waiting, patiently standing apart even in a crowded cellar, saving her sexy self all just for me. Time's up, baby... here we go...

With a seductive hiss and an accompanying whiff of licorice-laden fudge, the slightly-chilled bottle numbered 472/600 yields her silvery crown. A brisk pour into my prized Foothills tasting tumbler yields an inky-black beauty of a brew, the ebony liquid trimmed at the extreme periphery in burnt chestnut and smartly capped with a finger's thickness of glossy espresso-crema colored foam. As the sticky bubble-lid slowly recedes, a webby film of ecru lacing clings stubbornly to the inner walls of my glass.

The aroma is sexy and chocolate-laden, sure enough. A dab of toasted cocoa with a twist of burnt licorice, plus a smashed brick of baker's chocolate and a horde of devil's food cupcakes tangle with a drizzle of Hershey's syrup to sweeten a deep, rich, robust note of smoky charred barley.

The first luxurious sip is rich and full-bodied, with plenty of chocolate and blackened roast a-go-go. Notes of dark semi-sweet morsels swirled with a licorice swizzle stick, mixed into strong black coffee, all mingle nicely with silky-sweet milk chocolate and a sprinkle of dark dried fruits. The 10% ABV is scarcely hidden, but is so very well-incorporated into the flavor and the aroma that I can't imagine the brew without it; darkly-fruity and vanilla-like notes attest to the idea. Sexual Chocolate lingers in the mouth-- savory, roasty, and sweet on the palate-- long after the brew has passed the drinker's lips. As this excellent stout warms a bit, a pleasantly-dry twinge of tangy, acrid, woody smokiness gains a definite but unobtrusive foothold in the flavor profile.

The drink is silky-soft and creamy-smooth, with a thick, full body and sedately-perfect carbonation. Highly drinkable, even considering the aforementioned ABV.

The best thing about this sexy black beauty is that she faithfully returns to us year after year, and you can bet your bottom dollar, folks, that I'll be lining up to see her again on SC Day '10. A truly awesome brew.

4.67/5  rDev +14.2%

On tap at Tylers in Durham as part of its 08 debut. Pours jet black, no lite penetrating at all as its held to the light. A quarter inch dark tan head escapes not long after my first sip. A ring of steady lace remains. The aroma at first is more subdued. At first just hints of semisweet chocolate and roasted malts. As this beer warms the aroma's really get much more complex, Caramel and charred fruit. Faint hints of anaise as well. The taste starts with a soft bakers chocolate sweetness and caramel undertones. The hops sneak in and assert themselves on your tongue. A warming begins down your throat after a few sips. The mouthfeel is moderate and extremely creamy and smooth. By the time you start to realize the strength of this beer you look down and your Foothills tumbler is almos empty. This beer is much too easy to drink for it's strength. A complex brew that's hard to keep away from your nose and your gullet. Highly Recommended.

4.67/5  rDev +14.2%

Thanks to mikesgroove for this one. 2008 bottle 92 of 500 poured into a snifter. It produced a finger worth of tan head. That went to a slight ring of tan bubbles around the glass the body was a classic black stout color.

The aromas of dark chocolate coffee and some molasses filled my head. The more it warms the more the sweet molasses comes through with the chocolate

The flavor is very sweet the molasses is dominant as well in the taste. Nice chocolate notes as well as a slight coffee bitter. No carbonation but thick in the mouth so it is right where I like my stouts to be in the mouthfeel department.

This is a great stout, great chocolate flavor with enough sweetness in it to keep it interesting. I am truly enjoying this bomber while sipping this last glass. A must try to any stout lover; I know I grab another one in the future.

4.67/5  rDev +14.2%

Served on-tap at Barley's in Asheville. Instantly my favorite RIS (for the moment). Though I've only had a few different ones, this seemed to capture the style almost perfectly. Pitch black, almost looking like dark chocolate with a creamy, thick brown head. Chocolate is very present in the smell little alcohol present for the 10% this one offers. Like the Seeing Double, this beer does a wonderful job of hiding the alcohol presence and gives way to the various flavors that impressed me greatly. Simply put, this is delicious. Definitely a sipper but I'll sip on this any day.

Edit: Oh yeah...tried on-tap again recently. A little less roasted than I remember. More rich dark chocolate up front. Slight fresh hop presence lingers. Even a little sour dark fruit that reminds me of a Baltic in a way. A $7 pint was no problem.

4.67/5  rDev +14.2%

Bottle 96/500, courtesy of brdc (thanks Daniel).

I had this side-by-side with several other big and rare stouts (Darkness, Dark Lord, and Kate the Great). Thus I was able to make comparisons which often elude me when imbibing a single bottle in a sitting. In this case I can say that Sexual Chocolate tastes and smells a lot like Dark Lord, but has a less massive mouthfeel (Dark Lord seemed twice as viscous). Dark Lord is a sipper for this very reason, so to me Sexual Chocolate is immensely drinkable.

The beer is dark black with a nice initial 2-finger foam. The smell was not as chocolaty as I expected from the name, but was really rich with malts and dark fruits (like I said, similar to Dark Lord). The taste was really good too, lots of roasted malt, rich with sweetness and a little chocolate, very flavorful. The body was just thick enough in my opinion, even as it seemed less substantial than Dark Lord. Drinkability couldn't be improved for such a large and flavorful stout. It really goes down easily.

4.68/5  rDev +14.4%

I have to preface this with a nyah-nyah ... how can you beat a full pint of this nectar for the grand sum of $2.50?!? I loves me some Flying Saucer with its NC pint Sundays!

A: Anyway, the beer came served with practically no head, which is typical for a pour at the Flying Saucer. The beer was completely black and opaque, as befits an RIS.

S: The smell was a bit muted due to my head cold, but I could definitely get the cocoa, roasted malts and a bit of espresso aroma.

T: The taste was right there with the best RIS. The cocoa was strong, but not overpowering. There was a definite hit of lactose sweetness in the middle, and a bit of hoppy bite near the end.

M: What can I say about the mouthfeel? It's sexual chocolate and it lives up to its name.

D: I had no idea it was as high ABV as it was. I had this at lunchtime after a breakfast of an apple. I was half-way through it before I ate anything and never noticed the alcohol. It's deceptively easy to drink... and at $2.50 a pint, it was hard to say no!

4.7/5  rDev +14.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

10-14--07 update

After having this on-tap for the second time today at Foothills in WS, I'm bumping up the smell and drinkability scores. This is an outstading RIS...just wish it was available more often.

4-14-07 review

a - thick and black as motor oil, one-finger brown head with retention around the edges and a little lacing

s - big bittersweet chocolate aroma, some coffee and roasted malt as well, little alcohol

t - dominant flavor is bittersweet chocolate, body had some dark roasted coffee and malt, lots of dark fruit with vivid chocolate covered cherries, finish is slightly bitter coffee and roasted malt, more dark fruits, some sweetness on the finish as well, without much alcohol taste

m - quite full-bodied, very viscous and creamy, sweet finish with a little dryness as well

d - pretty drinkable, can't tell it's 10%, which make this beer dangerous, goes down very easy

Very good stout from Foothills...they have yet to disappoint me. Hope we don't have to wait to next V-day to have this again.

4.7/5  rDev +14.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Review #250

Received this brew from WeisGuy in a recent trade. Big thanks for the opportunity! This is my first brew from Foothills and I couldn't think of a better one to start with. Drank from my Stone India Pale Ale tulip while watching a movie. Un-numbered bottle

Appearance- Pours a super murky black that has zero shades. of anything but black in it. Nice dark brown creamy half finger head forms that leaves a nice cap and collar for most of the brew and a bit of splotchy lacing.
Smell- Starts with a nice black licorice sweetness that is somewhat dark molasses and somewhat dark cane rum. The chocolate is definitely present just not to the overwhelming effect that I had originally thought it would be. Some of the typical coffee and espresso notes that you'd expect from brew with as much roastiness as this one has. Lightly hoppy with a dark berry fruitiness to it and feint vanilla bean. Minus the fruitiness, this reminds me quite a bit of the ABYSS.
Taste- Oh, very nice! Lightly chocolaty with a very raw cocoa start this is semi bitter. Plenty of dark roasted coffee that seems to linger on and on and on. Lightly sweet with a dark caramel and molasses aspect and a bit of a wood like vanilla that I got in the nose. Something about this beer makes me think its barrel aged but I know that it's not. Almost a bourbon like quality about this with the alcohol in the finish (think I've just been drinking to many bourbon aged brews). Finishes with a dark fruitiness (plums, prunes and maybe even some dark cherry) and that burnt espresso quality that never seems to leave.
Mouthfeel- Fairly hefty with a medium-large body and a super creamy, velvety feel. Light, fine carbonation adds to the creamy feel. Finishes slightly hot.
Drinkability- Overall this is a pretty tasty brew. It's not really chocolaty like Southern Tiers Choklat (which I thought it would be closer to then farther from) but still very nice and tasty. It's not overly sweet and cloying like some of these brews can be and I hate. Wish the 10% was covered up a bit more but that's about my only complaint. Big thanks to Shane for the opportunity to try this delight!

Sexual Chocolate from Foothills Brewing Company - Downtown Brewpub