Sexual Chocolate - Foothills Brewing Company - Downtown Brewpub

Russian Imperial Stout |  9.75% ABV

Beer added by: SaCkErZ9 on 02-15-2007

Reviews: 437 | Hads: 1,190
4.65/5  rDev +13.7%

Black is beautiful. This beer pours real dark almost black and has a nice light tan head. The first sip is bliss with the taste of roasted malts and dark chocolate dancing on your tongue. There is a slight undertone of coffee that makes this a complete flavor experience. If you are a stout lover and in the area of the foothils brewing company then get to this beer as fast as you can. (386 characters)

4.66/5  rDev +13.9%

A great Russian Imperial. Not too much on the nose, but my worries were quickly banished after the first sip. Dark chocolate and coffee swarmed beautifully into my mouth. The mouthfeel is spectacular and oily enough to really make the impression last. The taste just lingers forever after the experience. (304 characters)

4.67/5  rDev +14.2%

Thanks to kipple for a bottle of Randy Watson's love potion. Shared with my lovely wife, in two Stone IRS stems.

As suspected, poured super black with a pretty 2 fingers of nougat-brown frothy head.

Aromas of java, dark chocolate, tiny amount of fumey alcohol with some campfire smoke.

Very nice taste that continued to change as it warmed. As each flavor was present, none totally dominated the experience. Started out with a pronounced dark chocolate flavor, slightly oily on the lips. A nice flash of hot alcohol with hop flavor came next then dissolved into a creamy mouthfeel. Finished pretty hot, slightly hoppy with a hint of dried cherry coating the palate. Again, with none of these flavors dominating.

SC has everything I love in a RIS and am so happy to have shared this with my lovely. We are planning to watch 'Coming to America' tonight on TNT. (862 characters)

2009 Release; purchased at the brewery on SC Day '09

This year I made my first pilgrimage to Foothills for the limited release of Sexual Chocolate, and I was lucky enough to get my four-bottle quota. That chilly February day I drank my fair share of that chocolatey goodness on draft, but I've never yet had it bottled.... I traded three of my precious orange-and-brown-sugar-clad bombers with some great BAs across the nation, but I saved one, this single lonely lady of soul, and she has been waiting, patiently standing apart even in a crowded cellar, saving her sexy self all just for me. Time's up, baby... here we go...

With a seductive hiss and an accompanying whiff of licorice-laden fudge, the slightly-chilled bottle numbered 472/600 yields her silvery crown. A brisk pour into my prized Foothills tasting tumbler yields an inky-black beauty of a brew, the ebony liquid trimmed at the extreme periphery in burnt chestnut and smartly capped with a finger's thickness of glossy espresso-crema colored foam. As the sticky bubble-lid slowly recedes, a webby film of ecru lacing clings stubbornly to the inner walls of my glass.

The aroma is sexy and chocolate-laden, sure enough. A dab of toasted cocoa with a twist of burnt licorice, plus a smashed brick of baker's chocolate and a horde of devil's food cupcakes tangle with a drizzle of Hershey's syrup to sweeten a deep, rich, robust note of smoky charred barley.

The first luxurious sip is rich and full-bodied, with plenty of chocolate and blackened roast a-go-go. Notes of dark semi-sweet morsels swirled with a licorice swizzle stick, mixed into strong black coffee, all mingle nicely with silky-sweet milk chocolate and a sprinkle of dark dried fruits. The 10% ABV is scarcely hidden, but is so very well-incorporated into the flavor and the aroma that I can't imagine the brew without it; darkly-fruity and vanilla-like notes attest to the idea. Sexual Chocolate lingers in the mouth-- savory, roasty, and sweet on the palate-- long after the brew has passed the drinker's lips. As this excellent stout warms a bit, a pleasantly-dry twinge of tangy, acrid, woody smokiness gains a definite but unobtrusive foothold in the flavor profile.

The drink is silky-soft and creamy-smooth, with a thick, full body and sedately-perfect carbonation. Highly drinkable, even considering the aforementioned ABV.

The best thing about this sexy black beauty is that she faithfully returns to us year after year, and you can bet your bottom dollar, folks, that I'll be lining up to see her again on SC Day '10. A truly awesome brew. (2,587 characters)

4.67/5  rDev +14.2%

On tap at Tylers in Durham as part of its 08 debut. Pours jet black, no lite penetrating at all as its held to the light. A quarter inch dark tan head escapes not long after my first sip. A ring of steady lace remains. The aroma at first is more subdued. At first just hints of semisweet chocolate and roasted malts. As this beer warms the aroma's really get much more complex, Caramel and charred fruit. Faint hints of anaise as well. The taste starts with a soft bakers chocolate sweetness and caramel undertones. The hops sneak in and assert themselves on your tongue. A warming begins down your throat after a few sips. The mouthfeel is moderate and extremely creamy and smooth. By the time you start to realize the strength of this beer you look down and your Foothills tumbler is almos empty. This beer is much too easy to drink for it's strength. A complex brew that's hard to keep away from your nose and your gullet. Highly Recommended. (945 characters)

4.67/5  rDev +14.2%

Thanks to mikesgroove for this one. 2008 bottle 92 of 500 poured into a snifter. It produced a finger worth of tan head. That went to a slight ring of tan bubbles around the glass the body was a classic black stout color.

The aromas of dark chocolate coffee and some molasses filled my head. The more it warms the more the sweet molasses comes through with the chocolate

The flavor is very sweet the molasses is dominant as well in the taste. Nice chocolate notes as well as a slight coffee bitter. No carbonation but thick in the mouth so it is right where I like my stouts to be in the mouthfeel department.

This is a great stout, great chocolate flavor with enough sweetness in it to keep it interesting. I am truly enjoying this bomber while sipping this last glass. A must try to any stout lover; I know I grab another one in the future. (846 characters)

4.67/5  rDev +14.2%

Served on-tap at Barley's in Asheville. Instantly my favorite RIS (for the moment). Though I've only had a few different ones, this seemed to capture the style almost perfectly. Pitch black, almost looking like dark chocolate with a creamy, thick brown head. Chocolate is very present in the smell little alcohol present for the 10% this one offers. Like the Seeing Double, this beer does a wonderful job of hiding the alcohol presence and gives way to the various flavors that impressed me greatly. Simply put, this is delicious. Definitely a sipper but I'll sip on this any day.

Edit: Oh yeah...tried on-tap again recently. A little less roasted than I remember. More rich dark chocolate up front. Slight fresh hop presence lingers. Even a little sour dark fruit that reminds me of a Baltic in a way. A $7 pint was no problem. (829 characters)

4.67/5  rDev +14.2%

Bottle 96/500, courtesy of brdc (thanks Daniel).

I had this side-by-side with several other big and rare stouts (Darkness, Dark Lord, and Kate the Great). Thus I was able to make comparisons which often elude me when imbibing a single bottle in a sitting. In this case I can say that Sexual Chocolate tastes and smells a lot like Dark Lord, but has a less massive mouthfeel (Dark Lord seemed twice as viscous). Dark Lord is a sipper for this very reason, so to me Sexual Chocolate is immensely drinkable.

The beer is dark black with a nice initial 2-finger foam. The smell was not as chocolaty as I expected from the name, but was really rich with malts and dark fruits (like I said, similar to Dark Lord). The taste was really good too, lots of roasted malt, rich with sweetness and a little chocolate, very flavorful. The body was just thick enough in my opinion, even as it seemed less substantial than Dark Lord. Drinkability couldn't be improved for such a large and flavorful stout. It really goes down easily. (1,019 characters)

4.68/5  rDev +14.4%

I have to preface this with a nyah-nyah ... how can you beat a full pint of this nectar for the grand sum of $2.50?!? I loves me some Flying Saucer with its NC pint Sundays!

A: Anyway, the beer came served with practically no head, which is typical for a pour at the Flying Saucer. The beer was completely black and opaque, as befits an RIS.

S: The smell was a bit muted due to my head cold, but I could definitely get the cocoa, roasted malts and a bit of espresso aroma.

T: The taste was right there with the best RIS. The cocoa was strong, but not overpowering. There was a definite hit of lactose sweetness in the middle, and a bit of hoppy bite near the end.

M: What can I say about the mouthfeel? It's sexual chocolate and it lives up to its name.

D: I had no idea it was as high ABV as it was. I had this at lunchtime after a breakfast of an apple. I was half-way through it before I ate anything and never noticed the alcohol. It's deceptively easy to drink... and at $2.50 a pint, it was hard to say no! (1,017 characters)

4.7/5  rDev +14.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

10-14--07 update

After having this on-tap for the second time today at Foothills in WS, I'm bumping up the smell and drinkability scores. This is an outstading RIS...just wish it was available more often.

4-14-07 review

a - thick and black as motor oil, one-finger brown head with retention around the edges and a little lacing

s - big bittersweet chocolate aroma, some coffee and roasted malt as well, little alcohol

t - dominant flavor is bittersweet chocolate, body had some dark roasted coffee and malt, lots of dark fruit with vivid chocolate covered cherries, finish is slightly bitter coffee and roasted malt, more dark fruits, some sweetness on the finish as well, without much alcohol taste

m - quite full-bodied, very viscous and creamy, sweet finish with a little dryness as well

d - pretty drinkable, can't tell it's 10%, which make this beer dangerous, goes down very easy

Very good stout from Foothills...they have yet to disappoint me. Hope we don't have to wait to next V-day to have this again. (1,019 characters)

4.7/5  rDev +14.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Review #250

Received this brew from WeisGuy in a recent trade. Big thanks for the opportunity! This is my first brew from Foothills and I couldn't think of a better one to start with. Drank from my Stone India Pale Ale tulip while watching a movie. Un-numbered bottle

Appearance- Pours a super murky black that has zero shades. of anything but black in it. Nice dark brown creamy half finger head forms that leaves a nice cap and collar for most of the brew and a bit of splotchy lacing.
Smell- Starts with a nice black licorice sweetness that is somewhat dark molasses and somewhat dark cane rum. The chocolate is definitely present just not to the overwhelming effect that I had originally thought it would be. Some of the typical coffee and espresso notes that you'd expect from brew with as much roastiness as this one has. Lightly hoppy with a dark berry fruitiness to it and feint vanilla bean. Minus the fruitiness, this reminds me quite a bit of the ABYSS.
Taste- Oh, very nice! Lightly chocolaty with a very raw cocoa start this is semi bitter. Plenty of dark roasted coffee that seems to linger on and on and on. Lightly sweet with a dark caramel and molasses aspect and a bit of a wood like vanilla that I got in the nose. Something about this beer makes me think its barrel aged but I know that it's not. Almost a bourbon like quality about this with the alcohol in the finish (think I've just been drinking to many bourbon aged brews). Finishes with a dark fruitiness (plums, prunes and maybe even some dark cherry) and that burnt espresso quality that never seems to leave.
Mouthfeel- Fairly hefty with a medium-large body and a super creamy, velvety feel. Light, fine carbonation adds to the creamy feel. Finishes slightly hot.
Drinkability- Overall this is a pretty tasty brew. It's not really chocolaty like Southern Tiers Choklat (which I thought it would be closer to then farther from) but still very nice and tasty. It's not overly sweet and cloying like some of these brews can be and I hate. Wish the 10% was covered up a bit more but that's about my only complaint. Big thanks to Shane for the opportunity to try this delight! (2,152 characters)

4.71/5  rDev +15.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Just had a 2012 from a 22 purchased at the brewery - which makes it better automatically.

Still one of the best imperial stouts out there. The dark brown-almost black color; the smell is completely giving of all its notes - roasty chocolate is completely apparent.

The taste is smooth, not over taken by its alcohol, chocolaty greatness, and semi-sweet.

I have several more of these, including ones back to 2010 and I can't wait to get to the rest!

Get your hands on these. Foothills is nailing this one. (508 characters)

4.73/5  rDev +15.6%

I was thrilled to try the 2008 on tap at the 2009 bottle release. After standing in line for hours, I can safely say it was well worth it. Poured into a snifter, it is a deep, dark ink black color and a fairly thin dark brown head. It sure looks incredible, and smell doesn't let down either, the intense chocolate, burnt coffee, and strong malts combine to make quite the enticing aroma. This 2008 vintage blows you away in the taste department. It seems the alcohol has muted enough to allow all the other flavor components, the chocolate, the coffee, the malts, to overtake the flavor. It is a dense beer, but far thinner than the 2009 release, I assume due to aging. The subdued carbonization is also nice. All combine to make strong RIS, in both flavor and ABV, that still tastes, and drinks easy. I am thoroughly impressed, and may now have to hold off those '09 bottles for a while. (889 characters)

4.73/5  rDev +15.6%

What an incredible beer! I was able to try this beautiful creation at SAVOR in DC, so please excuse my recollection.

Pours jet black with a light brown head.

The nose is very subtle, though one can detect coffee and chocolate.

Tastes like the name says! Big chocolate and coffee notes yet very smooth ... not a lot of heat like you find in other RIPs.

Smooth mouthfeel ... tasted like it came off a nitro tap.

This is a very easy to drink RIP ... I'd hate to see what would happen to me if I could find this on tap in DC.

Probably one of the finest RIPs on the market right now. I'm a big fan of Stone's RIP and until I tried Sexual Chocolate, I'd thought it was the only respectable version of this style. This is one hell of a beer. All I can really say is, find it, by it (en masse if possible), covet it, and drink it. An incredible beer ... can't wait till it makes its way to DC! (894 characters)

4.75/5  rDev +16.1%

Jun 25, 2008
Bottle 271/500 - Pours pitch black with a 1/8 inch caramel colored head. Super heavy lacing clings to the glass. Aroma of deep roasted malts, chocolate and coffee. First sip - the coffee really dominates with the chocolate coming through next followed by the rich malts. There are hints of vanilla and licorice. The whole thing really works as all the flavors blend beautifully together. Complex but not as complex nor as thick bodied as Dark Lord. None the less, this is World Class (497 characters)

4.77/5  rDev +16.6%

Had one day after 2010 release.

A-very dark brown, redish tint when held up to the light, very fine light brown head

S-chocolate, cocoa nibs, slight coffee flavor

T-smooth, a little bitterness, chalky but a very nice finish

M-chalky leaves a lasting chocolate/expresso flavor in the mouth

D-a little to easy to drink it'll catch up with you quick (351 characters)

4.77/5  rDev +16.6%

I've been wanting to try this one for quite a while so big thanks to kp for opening a bottle at the Brick Store.

This one pours pitch black, with no light coming through at all. The tan head is small and bubbly and leaves good lacing.

This is one of the best aromas I've had in a beer. It's sweet, like malted milk balls - dark malts with sweet chocolate on top. There is dark fruit and hints of coffee as well.

The taste is fantastic as well with a huge roasted malt backbone that is extremely well balance by generous milk chocolate and dark fruit sweetness. The finish actually has a slight espresso bitterness, but only as a complementary piece of this complex brew.

The mouthfeel is so smooth, but with ample carbonation that helps coat the mouth completely in the semi-sweet goodness.

I am thoroughly impressed with this beer and would rate it among my favorite imperial stouts. I may be slightly biased to the sweeter side of things, but either way this is a world class beer. Thanks again to kp for sharing this one. (1,029 characters)

4.77/5  rDev +16.6%

Bottle 184 of 500 - Big thanks to drunkmonk for the opportunity. Cheers, Joel!

Pours an opaque brown color with a huge foamy dark tan head that fades fairly quickly. Spotty patterns of Belgian lacing in it's wake. The smell from beneath the cap is Hersey Syrup chocolaty goodness, from the pour a wonderful distinct dark fruit character comes through and hints of vanilla. As it warms you get more of a cherry vanilla barrel aged treatment. The initial mouthful is conditioned by the rush of alcohol. The fire is dampened nicely by the full bodied rich chocolate flavor dispensed in a silky creaminess. Big chocolate flavor mixed with the fruity taste of a barrel age treatment. Finishes with a chewy semisweet maltiness that lingers appropriately. Way too easy to drink. This one is labeled 9.75% ABV. Integrated well, has a really nice complexity that's a kick to consider. I never know where the line falls between a RIS and a Double Stout, but this is what i think a Double Stout is shooting for. Really nice effort. Highly recommended. (1,041 characters)

4.77/5  rDev +16.6%

Courtesy of drunkmonk. Thanks Joel.
Bottle # 181/500

Pours black like an overdue oil change. Brown head falls quickly to a ring around my glass. Strong roasty smell of chocolate and coffee. Some pine and licorice aromas were also detected. The first initial sip, I tasted flavors of dark chocolate followed by black coffee. Finishes with a bit of crisp citrusy hops. Some bitter chocolate lingers. Alcohol is barley noticeable, just some slight warming in my chest. Mouthfeel is creamy, smooth and slightly heavy. Overall, drinkability is fantastic. I would agree this Imperial Stout lives up to the hype. Highly recommended! (626 characters)

4.77/5  rDev +16.6%

Bottle 258/500, shared with balberts after getting it in trade from Shuajw. Thanks again.

A - Thick and black, little to no head, quite viscous as it pours.

S - Roasted barley, not as much chocolate as I would have expected.

T - Nice, complex smokeyness complimenting notes of sweetness and chocolate near the end. Leaves a bit of a bitter aftertaste.

M - Slightly carbonated, thick and smooth.

D - I'm not sure this is even relevant here, as the chances of following the first bottle with the second are almost none...

This is a great, complex stout that I wish I could get more of. I am glad I had the opportunity to try this from this brewing. There was a lot of hype surrounding this beer, and I think I can honestly say that it has earned at least most of it. Thanks again for the bottle Josh. (804 characters)

4.8/5  rDev +17.4%

Thanks goes out to cvstrickland for this brew.

22oz. Bomber

Pours a very nice black color, very nice carbonation, with a very nice one-finger creamy tan head, with some nice small islands and thich creamy sticky lacing left behind. The nose is malty with lots of chocolate/toffee, slight roast note. The taste is awesome, malty, sweet, with some dark fruits, some vanilla, slight roast note. Medium/Full body, smooth. Very drinkable, what an awesome brew, so glad I finally got a chance to try it, Thanks Chuck! (513 characters)

4.8/5  rDev +17.4%

This is an exceptional beer, but not worth getting up on a saturday, and waiting in line for. Kegs get to places other than the brewery, and you can enjoy the beer in the comfort of your favorite stool!

The beer is super dark, and the head is a dirty bone white

The smell is phenomenal, and is surpassed solely by the taste of this beer. the ABV is high, and while you can taste this it's not the most present taste, the chocolate, and hints of oak are what leave your lips as you lower your beer.
Warning, dont drink 2 and post! (531 characters)

4.8/5  rDev +17.4%

Oh my, this is some tasty stuff. Pours a near black color with a creamy brown head. Huge nose of chocolate, coffee and sweet fruity malts. Taste follows suit. Lots of chocolate over a very nice stout. Chocolate is well balanced. Creamy body goes down well. Delicious. Anyone want to trade for a bottle of this? (310 characters)

Review # 200

Served on-tap at Foothills Brewery in Winston-Salem, NC during the 2010 Sexual Chocolate release into a Foothills Brewing Signature glass at the appropriate temperature (02/05/10). This review is for the 2010 batch.

A: Pours nearly black with a motor oil quality capped off with a finger of a tan head that dissolves to a foam and leaves some patchy and sticky lacing.

S: Wonderful aroma of milk chocolate, cocoa, roasted malt, graham cracker, and some espresso/coffee. Hints of toffee and caramel are found as well.

T: The taste follows the nose and I must say that this is quite a tasty beverage. Milk chocolate, cocoa, and roasted malt highlight the profile along with layers of graham cracker, coffee, espresso, toffee, and some caramel. Wonderfully balanced and extremely complex.

M: Full-bodied with appropriate creamy carbonation. Thick at times, but never syrupy.

D: I could drink this all day long and it is so well-crafted and expertly balanced. The 10% is not found in the taste at all.

Overall I must say that is an exceptional Imperial Stout from Foothills and one that is deserving of its great praise. This was tasted at my first ever beer release and it did not disappoint. Great brewery, run by great people and producing some great beer! My Highest Recommendation. (1,304 characters)

4.8/5  rDev +17.4%

Had this beer on the release weekend. I have to say that it was one of the best Stouts I have ever had. The glassware was proper and added appeal to the visual aspect upon arrival. The nose was outstanding but is was pinnacled by flavor and character. A long clean finish of roasted sweet chocolate and espresso approachable for beginner but sturdy enough for the aficionado. Congrats to the brewer. It was apparently sold out in bottle form and they were running so low that they could not fill growlers.

See ya next weekend!