Sexual Chocolate - Foothills Brewing Company

Wants: 1,224
Foothills Brewing Company visit their website
North Carolina, United States

Russian Imperial Stout |  9.75% ABV

(Beer added by: SaCkErZ9 on 02-15-2007)

Poured from a bomber into a pint glass. February 2010 vintage

A- pours black with a one finger tan head. Retention of the head is solid. Looks nice

S- light chocolate. Not much going on. Maybe past its prime?

T- yeah, definitely past its prime. Getting a little bit of chocolate, and not much else. Slight bitterness. Very blah

M- body is viscous, very solid

O- nearly three years is too much to hold on to this beer. Wasn't a huge fan of it with that much age on it...oh well.

bigfnjoe, Dec 29, 2012

drewone, Aug 06, 2012

FullObs, Aug 20, 2012

BarrytheBear, Oct 30, 2012

MattXT, Apr 30, 2014
3.25/5  rDev -21.1%

At Churchkey in DC, a 10 oz snifter for $9 of the 2009 vintage. First time I've ever seen anything from Foothills in DC/Nova/MD area.

This experience with the beer wasn't all that impressive. The beer is served in a snifter that is about 4/5 near black, opaque liquid with a large, dense foamy tan head that hangs around the duration of the beer and leaves thick sheets of lacing. Aroma is mild blend of expected roast malt, cocoa, milk chocolate, slightly powdery. Carbonation is very low throughout and body is generally silky and smooth, but marginally thin for the style and slightly watery in the finish. Flavor is one dimensional, natural milk chocolate and cocoa powder with a mild sweet malt body. Little to no hop, fruit, char or alcohol presence resulting in an overall lack of balance. I'm waiting to try a bottle of the 2010 release and have greatly diminished expectations for that, but I'm still holding out hope that will be a little more complex, interesting and nuanced. However if this keg was representative of what everyone else has sampled for this beer, then for me this is easily one of the most undeservedly over hyped and sought after beers I've tried.

edit: Reading other reviews from the same night it's like we had two different beers. I wonder if I had a dirty glass or...I don't know, something seems off. Wouldn't be first time that's happened to me there.

yourefragile, Apr 06, 2010

pyite, Jul 02, 2013
3.28/5  rDev -20.4%

Tasted in a Spiegelau tulip during a RIS tasting (with plain crackers and water for palate cleansing between tastings).

Pours a deep, deep dark brown, with mahogany highlights. Head is thin, with little retention or lacing.

Aroma is black olives, a meaty, rich umami note, saline and cherry and dark fruit.

On the palate, milk chocolate comes to the fore, although the saline notes remain, and a bitterness comes through, thin edges and bitter. Some soy sauce and acidity lingers. Complex, interesting, but not terribly GOOD. Body is medium full and exceedingly smooth, but it's lacking a robust mid-palate.

A disappointment, if not a terribly BAD beer.

errantnight, Nov 02, 2010
3.28/5  rDev -20.4%

2011 vintage

Pours black with a downy, khaki head.

With a name like "Sexual Chocolate," I was expecting more sweetness on the nose. Boy was I wrong: there's a lot of burnt toast and espresso along with some light smoke and only a bit of baker's chocolate. There's some leather here too. I usually hate seeing that descriptor in a review (who the hell has tasted leather?) but I don't know how else to describe it. In sum, there's a lot going on in the smell department but it's hard to tell where this beer is going.

Mouthfeel is on the lighter side but with a pleasant velvet texture.

The taste is also surprisingly devoid of chocolate (and sex for that matter, although my expectations were much lower in that regard). Bitter roast espresso has the featured position. Some light smoke and maybe a bit of baker's chocolate provide some added depth. There's a lot to digest by mid-sip, but the beer begins to fall apart at the finish line with some astringency and alcohol heat. This is a perfectly fine stout, but it needs more sweetness to provide complexity and balance.

chicagobeerriot, Apr 01, 2011
3.31/5  rDev -19.7%

From bottle to Great Lakes 25th Anniversary bruges hybrid...

A. Pours a deep, dark brown with a dark khaki head. The head is tight and consistent with fairly good lacing. Retention is pretty poor, as the bubbles bake off to a thin ring rather quickly. A vigorous swirl, however, brings the head roaring back.

S. Dark baking chocolate, coffee grounds, some oxidation, dried fruit, a bit of molasses. The nose is very subdued and while there are hints of a varied number of flavors, it's not the most complex or inviting bouquet.

T. A little bit of cocoa, just a tough of dark fruit, and then a strong, dry, roasted, and ashy finish. A little bit of a metallic and slightly tannic taste on the mid. Very bitter and dry.

M. Bitter, dry, ashy. The finish is very very dry to the point that it limits the enjoyment of the rest of the flavors. A thin, one-note profile.

O. This is very "okay". The name implies a thick, decadent, luscious stout, but this is anything but. It's thin, dry, bitter, and unrefined. And at nearly $20 a bottle, this is an incredibly poor value. I'm not sure where this beer received its great reputation...I found it instantly forgettable.

siege06nd, Mar 09, 2014
3.33/5  rDev -19.2%

Poured a deep mahogany brown/black, with a thin'ish tan head, little visible carbonation, and decent lacing. Smelled of cocoa powder (Bosco'ish), dark chocolate, and very subtle coffee. Very one dimensional. The taste also was one-dimensionally chocolate, chocolate, and more chocolate, with very little in the way of coffee, anise, woodiness, etc. The finish was sweet as well. The most surprising thing was the body, which was thinner than expected, though very smooth. My gut reaction was that this beer would benefit greatly from a little more flavor and texture balance. I know that this is a popular brew, and a lot of people might think that I'm smoking crack as they read this, but maybe I had my hopes too high, as I was genuinely disappointed. I'd be willing to give it another shot though.

donniecuffs, Jul 22, 2010
3.38/5  rDev -18%

A= The pour is pitch black with an almost nonexistant head on it. The head is just some spots on top of the beer with a small ring around the glass. There is a small amount of lacing however.

S= The smell is chocolaty and coffee all the way. Not as roasty as a RIS usually is. The smell is somewhat muted but stil very reminicent of a RIS.

T= The taste is a little chocolatey and a little coffee like. Not the most intense taste I've ever had in an RIS. Really mellow. I think the taste is somewhat watery. Somewhat of a dissapointment.

M= While I think the taste is watery the mouth if very nice and thick. Heavy and coating.

D= Thanks to Thomashardy for this one in a trade. This was one of those beers I never thought I would get to try. Unfortunatly it is sort of a let down. A good RIS but not the best I've ever had by far.

jjanega08, May 11, 2010
3.4/5  rDev -17.5%

2011 vintage growler poured into a Duvel tulip in February. The pour isn't as much fun without the swank bottle logo, but it's a good-looking dark brew with a finger or so of frothy tan head that leaves a fair amount of lacing.

The nose is markedly more roasted and burnt than the 2010 vintage. Some dark chocolate provides a bit of sweetness, but it's mainly dark malts, fresh ground coffee beans. It smells kinda dry and earthy, and it proves to be just that. Just barely enough chocolate to justify the beer's moniker. Suggestive nickname aside, it's basically a straightforward, big and roasty stout, and a fine one at that. As it dries out at the swallow, some earthy and bitter elements assert themselves.

Overall impression: Solid, not great imperial stout that's worth a try.

PDXHops, May 25, 2011
3.43/5  rDev -16.7%

Pours black in color with a dark brown head which leaves behind a one-finger lacing throughout. Lacked the nice aromatics I was hoping to pick up on with this special-release brew which was the suggested big chocolate aroma with notes of espresso, blackstrap molasses, dark sweet toffee and dark fruit as the brewery suggested. There was a rough dark chocolate backbone with complex notes of coffee, dark toffee and dark fruit that didn’t sit well with me. I was hughely disappointed with this brew as I traded big for this one and Draft Mag rated this a must-try top 10 beer in 2011.

CuriousMonk, Jan 04, 2012
3.43/5  rDev -16.7%

2010 vintage poured into some Lost Abbey stemware.

Appearance: Pours out dark brown that looks almost opaque when in the glass. I do detect some garnet hues around the edges, which is unexpected. About 1" of khaki colored head forms, which has nice retention and lacing. Seems a bit light in color and in body, but the head retention makes up for that somewhat.

Smell: Well this is a big smoke and roast bomb. Extremely big smoke component in this. Not really getting much else on the nose to be honest. Possibly a bit of sweetness. Milk chocolate?

Taste: Big smoke and roast component, once again on the palate. There is some sweetness that shows in the form of liquorice notes. Tastes better than it smells, but still too smoke dominated.

Mouthfeel: Body is definitely short of full; more in the medium body range. Moderate to low carbonation, which is the only reason this beer drinks smoothly at all. Overall, this is an interesting take on a RIS. Too smoke heavy and one dimensional. Definitely not my favorite from this style.

zhanson88, Jan 02, 2012
3.45/5  rDev -16.3%

2011 Vintage

Appearance -- Pours nearly black with two fingers of stiff and sudsy dark khaki head. Suds stick to the glass incredibly well.

Smell -- Chocolate definitely present, along with woodsmoke, black malt, and a great deal of hops - herbal, earthy, and some mild spiciness. Slight booziness is detectable in the nose as well. The overarching character of the smell is definitely not chocolate - more acrid black malt and woodsmoke. Honestly, I think someone would be forgiven if they didn't detect any actual chocolate in this at all.

Taste -- Cocoa, black malt char, woodsmoke, leather, and licorice are most present at first sip. Plenty of malt sweetness, but earthy hop bitterness more than balances. Chocolate really doesn't start to really become evident until it warms up to about room temp. At this point the malt sweetness balances the acrid black malt and hops rather than just being muted by them. Lingering flavors of bakers chocolate and earthy hops.

Mouthfeel -- Fairly full-bodied and chewy with milder carbonation. Feels decadent without being too thick or syrupy. No alcohol presence whatsoever. Absolutely the best feature of this beer.

Overall -- Not at all what I expected. The chocolate really wasn't as forward as the name would suggest, or as much as I would have liked. It seems as if the brewer self-consciously decided to douse this beer with acrid black malt and hop bitterness to prevent it from being one of the diabetes-inducing imperial chocolate stouts of the world.

Admittedly, the feel is nearly pitch-perfect and it looks beautiful in the glass. However, I was hoping for a rich, decadent imperial stout - it's called Sexual Chocolate for goodness sake! - but what I got was burnt, acrid, only slightly chocolate-flavored. In the end, I could take or leave it.

Of course, your mileage may vary.

yeahnatenelson, Apr 05, 2011
3.45/5  rDev -16.3%

Pours a very deep dark black with a sort of thick brown head and a little lacing. Smells awesome! Smells of tons of coffee and chocolate! For once in this beer, you can actually find the chocolate! Tastes of coffee and more coffee and more coffee and more coffee, and then some malts, smokiness, and chocolate. This beer should be called Sexual Coffee. Mouthfeel is nice and thick with a medium carbonation.

TheKingofWichita, Mar 18, 2011
3.48/5  rDev -15.5%

Thank you morimoto, I opened a bottle of this and passed it around on DLD, not getting the pour I needed. You provided me with a 2nd chance to give it a deserved taste.

A - Pours a fairly dark, +1.5" brown head. Doesn't appear to be that thick, but rather an average or slightly above average RIS body. Looks nice overall with good head retention. A little better looking than par, but doesn't have the long thick legs I'd expected.

S - Smoke and roasted malt. Nothing special at all here for me. The guy next to me likes it, but this isn't his review.

T - Smokey. Roasted Malts. Smokey. Tries to get a little sweet, but then it doesn't and instead stays smokey. I get a little cocoa, NOT CHOCOLATE, towards the end. As I sip on it more, chocolate comes out in the middle of the flavor. Slightly bitter, definitely smokey finish. I think the smoke takes away from the chocolate potential here. I'm not sure where the anticipated chocolate went....maybe it evaporated and rained over at the Bruery. Seriously though, I dislike that I have to drink 1/2 a glass to get that cocoa flavor. I'm starting to enjoy the beer a bit towards the end, but at a tasting I'd be bummed.

M - Good enough body for a RIS. Not as thick as I'd prefer, but there aren't many that are. I respect the thickness. Creamy mouthfeel is positive.

O - I am disappointed with this one. The smoke takes away from what I think is a decent amount of potential. It is evident throughout my entire 10-12oz pour. Chocolate only comes out after 6oz or so. Otherwise, I have to fight to find it. I'm not going to kill the score because I find it to be unique and it does get a lot better as the glass empties. Less smoke is my request. However, I can see how some people could really enjoy this. I think this is a smoked beer drinker's paradise. Unfortunately, it isn't my preference. I think the BA version will probably benefit from the smokiness though.

claaark13, Sep 17, 2011
3.48/5  rDev -15.5%

thanks to bucketboy for the bottle

Bomber poured into a tulip

A-- Poured a dark brown and settled black with just a half a finger of off white head.

S-- Chocolate, coco, coffee and some dark fruits. More of the dark chocolate variety though.

T-- coco powder, dark chocolate, coffee, and roasted malt. Nothing too exciting about this beer.

M-- Lots of dark chocolate and coco powder. Very dry finish to this. Low carbonation and low feel to this. Bits of coffee here and there.

O-- Good but not outstanding. Coffee and chocolate got bigger as I drank on with this. A bit overhyped I thought.

mulder1010, Sep 07, 2011
3.48/5  rDev -15.5%

Thanks for the tick oglmcdgl, 2010 vintage into a tulip.

A- Sexual Chocolate is a very black beer that is black as can be and is black. The black is underneath a mocha colored head up above that settles into a slight cap, not so clingy lace.

S- Smell is on the roasty side, it's a big ol' IRS but I smell an infection coming. Besides that roast, chocolate, hoppy appeal, licorice, anise, you know what it is.

T- I did not get the infection that much. It's there and will grow, thank god we caught it now! Sexy Chocolate goes from fudge chocolate, roasty malts, some char, a bit of brownie and dark fruit going into infection.

M- It's a big stout, it's real smushy, glugging down the track. Kinda muddy. For a RIS it works, the infection casts a tangy after taste that is bleh and the carb is there.

O- Really glad I tried this beer, and Im glad it did not get any older. I've been running into mad infection issues with craft stouts recently and it's really turned me off of the style completely.

BARFLYB, May 13, 2011