Sexual Chocolate - Foothills Brewing Company

Wants: 1,223
Foothills Brewing Company visit their website
North Carolina, United States

Russian Imperial Stout |  9.75% ABV

(Beer added by: SaCkErZ9 on 02-15-2007)

mjenkins5, Feb 20, 2013

OldhouseRecs, Feb 20, 2013
4.64/5  rDev +12.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

22 oz bomber, poured into a tulip glass.

A- Pours black, caramel-colored head.

S- BIG roasty aroma; deep chocolate.

T- Very roasted, chocolate/cocoa flavor, mild fruitiness

M- Full-bodied, low carbonation, thick feel.

O- Solid stout, unique, worth seeking out.

NickHerrmann, Feb 19, 2013

duceswild, Feb 19, 2013

RyanAU, Feb 18, 2013

BourbonDork, Feb 18, 2013
3.75/5  rDev -9%

hansgruber, Feb 18, 2013
4.59/5  rDev +11.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

Had on tap at Duckworth's in Ballentine in Charlotte, NC. Pours black with a nice brown head. Great roasty aroma also may be a touch of coffee as well. taste of dark chocolate, coffee, dark malts may be some espresso. Very well balanced and a very well done beer to say the least. Its definitely thick with pretty good carbonation. Overall I love this beer and if you can get your hands on I would recommend at least trying it.

Rion, Feb 18, 2013
4.35/5  rDev +5.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

2013 22oz Bomber poured into a snifter

First time having the Sexual Chocolate...a virgin if you will. Big thanks to CarolinaKevin for the bottles!

Nice pour...viscous jet black with a 2 finger dark tan head which slowly dissipates to a lasting foam ring. Looks very nice...among the best I've seen.

The aroma lacks a bit from what I expected to be honest....really was looking for BIG strong chocolate notes but was only hit with slight chocolate, molasses, and some ethanol.

Here we go...the flavor really makes up for what the aroma was lacking. Lots of dark chocolate, caramel, toffee, coffee, dark malts, bitterness from both hops and cocoa. Very nice and well balanced!

The mouth feel is where I feel that this beer really shines...viscous and sweet at first but finishes light with a bit of ethanol. The carbonation is perfect...I hate over carbonated stouts but this one's where it should be.

When I think of my favorite (non-barrel aged) imperial stouts, Founders is on the top of the list, but this one is a serious contender...it may even took first place! Really a great stout that could use a bit more aroma, but ultimately satisfying my Jungle Fever!

brewtechnik, Feb 17, 2013

LXIXME, Feb 17, 2013

Alyssat_, Feb 17, 2013
3.5/5  rDev -15%

bum732, Feb 17, 2013

Lare453, Feb 16, 2013
4.1/5  rDev -0.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Poured from a bomber into a Westbrook tulip.

A: Pitch black, motor oil-esque pour with fantastic 2 finger dark khaki colored head. Head dropped from 2 fingers to 1 after a few minutes but stuck around pretty well after that. Beautiful lacing.

S: A lot of chocolate and coffee on the nose. Maybe a little of booze? Smells about like you would expect.

T: Espresso, bitter dark chocolate, maybe a little molasses? There is the bitterness you would expect from a RIS, but it's not overdone. This is a plus in my book. It's still a sipper, but it doesn't feel work to put it down.

M: Full bodied, medium carbonation. Some creaminess and moderately dry finish.

O: One of the more drinkable RIS's I've had. I'm glad the chocolate wasn't overdone, but I wish there was just a little bit more in the flavor. It's a very good RIS in my mind, but would have been a little better with a little more chocolate given the name of the beer. Maybe it's not the best RIS ever, but it's still a very good beer in my mind and worth a try if you run across one.

FUwolfpacker, Feb 16, 2013

Falcone, Feb 12, 2013

goodhearing, Feb 12, 2013
4.05/5  rDev -1.7%

Had on tap.

Appearance is ptich black with a fairly thick dark brown head.

Tons of dark chocolate and dark roasted coffee on the aroma. Some notes of burnt caramel and toffee as well.

More roast on the flavor along with espresso and dark chocolate. Some hints of dark fruit although this is buried pretty deep below the chocolate, coffee, and caramel. A lot of sweetness with this beer with a pretty heavy body. Definitely a sipper.

Overall, this is a good beer but I am not blown away by it. I really enjoy the chocolate and coffee flavors but it is just a little on the heavy side.

rangerred, Feb 11, 2013

Beeranator, Feb 11, 2013
4.2/5  rDev +1.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

January 2012 release. Poured from a 22 oz bottle into a Half Acre snifter.

A- pours black with a 2 finger dark mocha head. Leaves thick trails and walls of lacing.

S- big chocolate, dark fruits, some roast and coffee.

T- bitter roast, chocolate, coffee, dark fruits and some semi sweet molasses.

M- full body and medium carbonation. Thick with some creaminess and slightly dry finish.

O- good RIS, better than I expected actually even with the high rating. Has some sweetness and lots of chocolate, roast, and dark fruits.

kawilliams81, Feb 10, 2013
4.75/5  rDev +15.3%

wildcats10, Feb 10, 2013
3.51/5  rDev -14.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.75

I was fortunate to find this beer at a local shop. It was however rather expensive, but due to the scarcity of this one I figured I would bite the bullet and shell out the cash. I chilled it to around 45 degrees and then pried off the cap. I poured it into a Imperial pint glass and let it breath for 10 minutes or so before I tasted. The glass was held up to a light and no transparency. It was very dark nearly obsidian in color. It smelled really nice and rich lots of chocolate, molasses and some coffee but not too much. I do not care for coffee stouts but since this one was more of a chocolate stout I figured I would give it a try. The first taste had a strong molasses taste not too cloying but more molasses than chocolate or coffee to me. As it warmed slightly the chocolate and coffee came in as well as the licorice. However, it still had an overpowering molasses taste. Which for the price and hype of this beer was its downfall. I would have expected more of a cocoa backbone. In regard to mouthfeel it was slightly watery but nothing that was overtly. I felt it was pretty well balanced from a texture point of view. Nevertheless, I would not give this beer as high of remarks as others in its category. Also, for the price it is overrated. As most stouts in this category I imagine this one could be aged. I just wonder if it would improve with age?

humuloner22, Feb 10, 2013