Sexual Chocolate - Foothills Brewing Company

Beer added by: SaCkErZ9 on 02-15-2007

Ratings: 1,185 | Reviews: 447
4.32/5  rDev +4.9%
look: 5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Had a 9 year vertical from 2007 to 2015. '07, '12 and '15 were the best in my opinion with solid cocoa in the nose. They had smooth silky bodies and nice chocolate notes. The '12 and '15 had a very nice espresso finish. '09 and '14 were the worst being very thin and off putting with some astringent bitterness at the finish and some soy sauce like flavors. Overall a good beer that pours a rich brown and start a great bottle share tradition at the brewery on release days.

4.23/5  rDev +2.7%

Thanks to pecorasc for opening this one. Bottled Feb 2010. Bottle # 521/1000.

A: Dark black that slightly fades to dark brown around the very edge of the glass. Finger width of head. Thin film on top throughout the entire time I drank this beer.

S: Lots of chocolate. Some hints of nice roasty malts and some dark fruit. Lots of vanilla.

T: Great flavor. Lots of dark chocolate up front, that turns to roastiness in the finish. Picking up some dark fruits and some sweetness too.

M: Medium carbonation, but i marked this down a little because this beer is a little on the thin side.

D: Had good drinkability. RIS at 10%? Didnt really even notice the alcohol. Very well blended beer. Everything works well together.

Good beer overall, and I would definitely drink this again.

4.18/5  rDev +1.5%

Bottle of 2011

A: Pours black with a thick, creamy layer of brown head.

S: Lots of dark fruit, with some roasted malts and hints of coco.

T: The roasted malt is very pronounced in the flavor. Meanwhile the dark chocolate and dark fruit take a back seat to the malt. Well balanced.

M: Very soft and creamy mouthfeel. Carbonation is there but does not assault the tongue. The finish is very easy.

D: A very drinkable beer. I thought this beer was going to have a stronger chocolate flavor, however I appreciate the balance in the mouthfeel and flavor. The 9.7% abv goes virtually unnoticed in the finish. This beer certainly lives up to the hype.

4.8/5  rDev +16.5%

This is an exceptional beer, but not worth getting up on a saturday, and waiting in line for. Kegs get to places other than the brewery, and you can enjoy the beer in the comfort of your favorite stool!

The beer is super dark, and the head is a dirty bone white

The smell is phenomenal, and is surpassed solely by the taste of this beer. the ABV is high, and while you can taste this it's not the most present taste, the chocolate, and hints of oak are what leave your lips as you lower your beer.
Warning, dont drink 2 and post!

4.73/5  rDev +14.8%

What an incredible beer! I was able to try this beautiful creation at SAVOR in DC, so please excuse my recollection.

Pours jet black with a light brown head.

The nose is very subtle, though one can detect coffee and chocolate.

Tastes like the name says! Big chocolate and coffee notes yet very smooth ... not a lot of heat like you find in other RIPs.

Smooth mouthfeel ... tasted like it came off a nitro tap.

This is a very easy to drink RIP ... I'd hate to see what would happen to me if I could find this on tap in DC.

Probably one of the finest RIPs on the market right now. I'm a big fan of Stone's RIP and until I tried Sexual Chocolate, I'd thought it was the only respectable version of this style. This is one hell of a beer. All I can really say is, find it, by it (en masse if possible), covet it, and drink it. An incredible beer ... can't wait till it makes its way to DC!

4.6/5  rDev +11.7%

Filled at The Charleston Beer Exchange filled on 2/15 enjoyed on 2/17 poured into my Duvel glass.

A: This is the "black stuff" as the Brits refer to their stouts. Motor oil black with a dark caramel head of about 1 1/2 finger head.

S: Chocolate and coffee with some wonderful earthy notes.

T: Roasted dark chocolate and the slight spice kick associated with dark chocolate or with a ligero cigar. Roasted malts. Hops are not really noticeable on my palate.

M: Very thick. Just right for a stout of this caliber, creamy with a low amount of carbonation.

D: High, at about 10% ABV i was feeling it halfway thru my first glass, so I cant recommend this on an empty stomach or when you need to do something afterword. But it is fantastic after a large meal. Skip desert and drink this.

3.98/5  rDev -3.4%

This was a gift from Mikesgroove, who started a Lottery-It-Forward. I still can't believe I'm getting the chance to try this - my first 'hand-numbered' bottle (#378/500), and one I never could have gotten or traded for on my own. Thanks Mike!

This puppy is black, with the darkest ruby-hued head I've ever seen. Aroma is a high quality dark chocolate, maybe some espresso or coffee grounds. Taste is the same great dark chocolate, slightly sweet, turning astringent on the finish. Really no harsh alcohol to this one, just a nice warming feeling. There's something in the aftertaste I'm having trouble putting my finger on - astringent, metallic, I'm not sure. It's got a surprising little hoppy kick to it, keeping it crisper than most RIS's. Quite a bit of fine carbonation, too, keeping it light on the tongue. Glad I split this bottle with a friend - Very enjoyable, but I don't think I could really do justice to a full bottle.

4.77/5  rDev +15.8%

Bottle 258/500, shared with balberts after getting it in trade from Shuajw. Thanks again.

A - Thick and black, little to no head, quite viscous as it pours.

S - Roasted barley, not as much chocolate as I would have expected.

T - Nice, complex smokeyness complimenting notes of sweetness and chocolate near the end. Leaves a bit of a bitter aftertaste.

M - Slightly carbonated, thick and smooth.

D - I'm not sure this is even relevant here, as the chances of following the first bottle with the second are almost none...

This is a great, complex stout that I wish I could get more of. I am glad I had the opportunity to try this from this brewing. There was a lot of hype surrounding this beer, and I think I can honestly say that it has earned at least most of it. Thanks again for the bottle Josh.

4.1/5  rDev -0.5%

# 307 of 600
This was to celebrate the first born of my beer partner so Sexual Chocolate was perfect.

A- Obsidian in color with a lacey milk chocolate head.
S- malted chocolate milk, vanilla, mild coconut.
T- more of an edge than I expected, nice chocolate flavor with a touch of coffee but distracted by the mouthfeel.
M- medium to light mouthfeel for the style and I was hoping for more.
D- since it is one of 600 bottles made I'll savor it but it still doesn't compare to some of the the other chocolates I've had.

2010 bottle shared last night at a stout tasting.

A: Pours really dark with a nice mocha cap even in my tasting glass. Tons of body on this one, just coats the glass as I swirl away.

S: First and foremost if the chocolate, nice bitter dark chocolate gets pushed to the front by the deeply roasted grains while dark fruit notes float in and out of the mix.

T: I'm getting a lot of chocolate still, as expected, but the cocoa nibs really gave this some nice sweet dark fruit flavors that get brought into balance with the bitter cut. An almost herbal/mineral flavor can be found in the finish. Flavors definitely hang with this one.

M: Medium bodied with carbonation to match, I think a year did this one some good. Body seems spot on with some nice warmth but no real "heat" to speak of.

D: I may now have to seek out the barrel aged version. After getting my bottle last year I was thinking it might actually fall into the over-hyped camp, but considering what I gave up for it I'm very pleased. It really stood out against all the other stouts.

4.15/5  rDev +0.7%

Bottle # 78/500

Poured a dark black with brownish accents into a glass. Wow - gurgling and creamy head. The aroma is overpoweringly chocolate and woodsy with malty (roasted?) accents. It's complexity is amazing with a mix of dark fruity andbittersweet chocolate and a creamy body.

As if it wasn't a amazingly drinkable beer now, I wonder how much more amazing it would be when cellared. Probably cure everyone's sweet tooth!

Highly recommended.

2.71/5  rDev -34.2%

App- Black as night. Can see the carbonation bubbling. Almost looks like a coke.

Sm- Looking for chocolate, but having to strain to find it. Get some soy sauce and toffee.

Ta- Stone fruits, roasted malts, chocolate, soy sauce.

MF- Very thin bodied and over carbonated.

DR- The taste doesn't make we want to drink a ton of this.

Disappointing. Very over-hyped. What I would expect from a mediocre corner brewpub's RIS.

3.93/5  rDev -4.6%

appearance is not as thick as expected, dark brown but not fully opaque. light brown head with great retention, always a layer of bubbles with no regenerating swirls necessary. bigger bubbles hug the sides. the label... one of my favorites. if drinking straight from the bottle, id give it a 6.

smell is of dark cherries, alcohol infused figs, really subtle hints of dark chocolate.

closely following a roasted malt taste are sour cherries, molasses tanginess, and some slightly bitter qualities. this has a much greater tangy, dark fruity character than any other imperial stout ive tasted.

medium body, not thick, not thin. right there in the middle. wouldnt want it any thinner though.

drinkability is alright. the sour fruitiness is hard to figure out. approaching this beer with an expectation for huge chocolate plus generic ris qualities will result in surprise. perhaps with different expectations, i could have gulped this thing down and not known what happened. its certainly the most sour and fruity (things i love) ris i can recall, which makes it a little out of place. not bad, but also not meeting expectations. if looking for huge, delicious chocolate, try choklat. yum.

sexual chocolate. the name and the bottle seem a clever tease. desire, expectation, suspense. then surprise, confusion, an empty glass. wondering why i didnt get what i expected instead of appreciating what i was given. sexual chocolate... you b****. now i cant wait to expect a sour fruitiness on our reacquaintance. all wrapped in a roasty blankey. mmm!

4.6/5  rDev +11.7%

Receive bottle via trade (52/600) cap was leaking when I got it so I had to open it qucik :( Aroma is chocolate, coffee, and sticky molasses. Such a great aroma that fills the air when poured. Flavor is exceptional. Balanced, not too much chocolate. Roasted malts, chocolate, coffee, and some alcohol but in a complementary fashion not overpowering. Smooth, creamy and rich mouthfeel with light carbonation. Great for an impy. It's sad that I'm going to lose this fine brew through the process of digestion.

4.13/5  rDev +0.2%

Initially had both the '09 and '10 vintages at the release, but just too much going on to give either a fair review. Decided to open bottle 157 of 1000 this evening and share with the wife as part of our Valentine's Day celebration.

Poured into a DFH snifter and it has the typical dark opaque appearance of the RIS style. Very little head or lacing, although it does leave a light brown colored ring around the edge of the glass. Aroma is of dark chocolate, espresso, and dark fruit (raisins?). Taste closely follows aroma with the dark fruit and heavy chocolate being the most prominent on the palate. Minimal carbonation with a thin, creamy mouthfeel and goes down exceptionally smooth. For a 10% abv brew, this is one highly drinkable RIS....and it gets so much better as it warms up. An excellent job by Foothills....it may be a tad over-hyped, but it is still one of the better RISes that I've tried.

3.85/5  rDev -6.6%

2010 Bottle 185/1000 reviewed out of a snifter at Big Bad Stout tasting.

Poured a Dark black with a brownish hue when held up to the light. Moderate head with a faint amount of lacing on side of glass and some bubbles. I got a slight amount of chocolate on the nose with some cocoa powder and raster coffee. Taste was very dry and bitter chocolate, slight toffee and roasted malts as it warmed up. Pretty carbonation on the mouthfeel, creamy and not too thick. Would probably drink again with friends, but not a huge fan of the bitter chocolate taste.

4.02/5  rDev -2.4%

Bottle #384/500.

Black as pitch in the tar pits of La Brea.

Nose of dry roasted espresso beans, blackstrap molasses, and dusty cocoa powder.

Flavor is a bit rough around the edges. Big hop bitterness accentuated by roasted malt leads to a palably biting finish. Hot alcohol lingers on the tip of my tongue. Dark chocolate, dried fruits, and burnt toffee peek out from beneath the bitterness and fusels. Not as much chocolate as I would like for a beer infused with cocoa nibs.

This beer needs some time to mellow and smooth out so the flavors can meld together. A good candidate for cellaring for 2 plus years.

Overall, a brash and bold newcomer to the world of Imperial Stouts. Cheers to BA barleywinebrewer for sharing the wealth from down South!

3.95/5  rDev -4.1%

A:A nice dark almost opaque black color. The head was brown and it stayed up very nicely.
S:There was a strong roasted malt smell with a little bit of caramel, too. Also there was a hint of bitterness in the nose.
T:The flavor was great and very smooth. The roasted flavor was very present. There was some chocolate flavor on the middle palate but it was not very noticable. If it didn't call itself a chocolate stout I would't have picked up on it right away. The higher alochol was not very noticable. It tasted very smooth overall.
MF:Medium to heavy body
D:I wouldn't be able to drink too many of these beers. They were very good. The strong flavor from the roasted malts prevents it from being a beer that I can drink multiple beers at once. Overall it was a very good beer.

3.72/5  rDev -9.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

With a name like Sexual Chocolate I would have expected a more in your face chocolate aroma, this beer has a mild chocolate aroma. Good thickness and mouthfeel, solid from start to mid to finish. The IBUs shine through with a bite at at the end that reminds you that you are drinking an imperial stout. Would recommend this beer but not for the price.

3.58/5  rDev -13.1%

Served in Bells tulip. 2011 vintage.

A- Dark and thick with a 3-finger caramel head. Very solid head retention and lacing.

S- Smokey malts, chocolate, roastiness, anise,

T- All in the same as the nose, noticable smokiness, chocolate, molasses, pretty smooth.

M- Thick, mouth-coating, a good creaminess.

Overall- Great beer. Would like just a little more age on this.

4.48/5  rDev +8.7%

I finally decided to crack open my 2009 vintage of this bad boy. First, let me start by saying this is one of my favorite names for a beer and also one of my favorite labels. It pours jet black with a nice 3 fingers of dark tan head and leave a nice foamy lacing on my Founders 10 Anniversary glass. The smell is a bit off putting because it has a rather large burnt grains smell with lingering hits of chocolate, carmel, booze and earth. The flavor is much better as the burnt grain smell is replaced by the taste of bitter sweet chocolate, sweet grains, toffee, carmel, coffee and earthy flavors....overall the taste of chocolate and roasted grains is most prominent and quit delicious. This beer is thick in my mouth like a bitter chocolate milk shake. I really enjoyed this beer, much more than I thought I would. The chocolate is there, but over powering and all the flavors really meld together nicely. I may seek this one out again, but there are a few other imperial stouts I have higher on my list.

3.9/5  rDev -5.3%

I have heard of this from the forums, but wasn't keyed in on the hype or anything. I went to the Flying Saucer in Raleigh and they happened to have it on tap, so I went for it.

Nice 3/4 head of tan/cream and coffee color. nice little bubbles.
There could be something living in here, but you wouldn't see it. This thing absorbs the light around it.

Good cocoa smell, some molasses, little bit of coffee, and, I swear, dried smoking tobacco.

Taste is surprisingly more roasted maltiness than chocolate. The chocolate is there, but it's more milk chocolate than the nose would have you believe. I like the slight hop presence I swear I can "Smaste" dried smoking tobacco. Guy with me says its made in Winston-Salem, must be a pre-req for all products leaving the area!

I think the mouthfeel is slightly thin, this was my only disappointment with it. It is smooth and creamy, but a little too watery.

Drinkability is all there. This bar has so much on tap that I had to try other things, otherwise, I would have kept drinking this one. Wish it was more readily available. Good RIS. Not sure what all the hype is about. Goddamn beer trekkies!!

4.31/5  rDev +4.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

2013 22oz Bomber poured into a snifter

First time having the Sexual Chocolate...a virgin if you will. Big thanks to CarolinaKevin for the bottles!

Nice pour...viscous jet black with a 2 finger dark tan head which slowly dissipates to a lasting foam ring. Looks very nice...among the best I've seen.

The aroma lacks a bit from what I expected to be honest....really was looking for BIG strong chocolate notes but was only hit with slight chocolate, molasses, and some ethanol.

Here we go...the flavor really makes up for what the aroma was lacking. Lots of dark chocolate, caramel, toffee, coffee, dark malts, bitterness from both hops and cocoa. Very nice and well balanced!

The mouth feel is where I feel that this beer really shines...viscous and sweet at first but finishes light with a bit of ethanol. The carbonation is perfect...I hate over carbonated stouts but this one's where it should be.

When I think of my favorite (non-barrel aged) imperial stouts, Founders is on the top of the list, but this one is a serious contender...it may even took first place! Really a great stout that could use a bit more aroma, but ultimately satisfying my Jungle Fever!

My first ever growler, and what a pleasure it was! Deep black colour that reminds me of midnight mixed with space. It has a nice looking head that hangs around and a wonderful lace. Smells strongly of chocolate (obviously) and to lesser extent coffee. A powerful, and pleasant aroma that makes my mouth watcher for the first taste. The taste is everything I expected, a sweet chocolate with some coffee aftertaste as well, but the sweetness makes this a truly memorable experience. This also may be the best feeling beer I've ever had, in addition to the taste which also certainly up there as well. I still have a hard time believing that this is a 10% RIS, because our friends at Bud Light could use some education as to what true "drinkability" is. This may very well be one of the best beers i've ever had, and I'm already sad that my growler is gone and i'll have to wait to get another

4.36/5  rDev +5.8%

Caveat: this is my first BIG beer release, and after waiting three and a half hours in line, this beer is bound to be excellent. I will make every attempt to be impartial.

Bottle 309/600, 2009 vintage.

This beer is beautiful. On the outside and the inside. The 22 oz bottle has a beautiful label, and it pours a coal black, opaque body into my pint glass. An aggressive pour develops a tall, chunky, khaki head. After slowly dissipating, the head leaves a screen of lace behind.

The aroma is BEAUTIFUL! Chocolate, molasses, and coffee blend into something heavenly. My only gripe is that the smell isn't BIG enough.

Tastes like chocolate and molasses. A slight aftertaste of bitter, day old coffe grinds. Near the end, a wash of alcohol cleanses the sweetness leaving behind the acrid coffee taste.

On the frontside, this beer is creamy and bold in the mouth, but on the back end, it seems to thin out. I'd love to have a thicker, more substantial texture out of this.

If it were readily available, this would stand comfortably as a special occasion sipper, but with the limited release (600 bottles this year) it's really a once a year type thing... And I can't wait for a special occasion, so happy saturday to me.

Sexual Chocolate from Foothills Brewing Company