Sexual Chocolate - Foothills Brewing Company - Downtown Brewpub

Beer added by: SaCkErZ9 on 02-15-2007

Reviews: 437 | Hads: 1,190
3.06/5  rDev -25.2%

Reviewed from notes.
Shared by DSC-- check my review of the barrel aged SC for more details!

08-11 vintages all tried side by side.
The 08 was the handsdown best, and the 10 was the worst. The 11 was slightly better than the 10.

The 08 was thick, velvety, and luxurious... Just a nice beer, and exactly what I'd hope for this beer to be.... Sadly, my pour of that 08 was too small to review... This review is of the 2010 bottle.

Thin. Very thin. Watery, thin, and light feeling. The beer is dark, but it looks brownish and red with garnet and amber hues. A wispy cloud of bubbles is all that's left after the head vanished abruptly. It looks really thin--- and thus, I am not surprised when I find it feels very thin too.

Big boozy bite at the back end. A very roasty malt quality borders on being smokey while covering up a lot of any chocolate malt that one would expect to find. Some toffee and coffee, molasses... Meh. It is what it is.

Feels thin and undercarbonated. Feels slick and oily.

Overall-- not really working for me at all. If this were available on shelves, I might pick one up to see if 2 or 3 years will help this one reach the platform on which the 2008 stood. (1,186 characters)

2.22/5  rDev -45.7%

A: Dark as night with a decent tan head.

S: Smoke, some roasted malts, char and more smoke.

T: Not sure if i got a bad bottle but this was as smokey as Surley Smoke, but not as good. Tasted Nothing like the flavor profile was supposed to. A real let down.

M: Oily, Slick

O: All 10 people at our tasting thought this beer should have been called Sexual Smoke. There was very little sweetness, coffee or chocolate and we had it before we tried the barrel aged version which was 1000 x's better. I won't bother trading for this one again. Terrible let down! (558 characters)

4.12/5  rDev +0.7%

2010 vintage 532/1000

appearance - dark chocolate in color, small deep mocha head, decent lacing

smell - very sweet, milk chocolate, brown sugar, honey, cocoa nibs, caramel

taste - taste so much like the parabola. dark bitter chocolate is damn strong. minor sugar. dark malts.

mouthfeel/overall - thick bodied, good carbonation, a little sticky in the mouth. (362 characters)

4.17/5  rDev +2%

10/09/11- Review of bottle number 1/750 of the Feb 2009 release.
A: Opaque black with a dark caramel head and slow lacing.
S: Sweet dark chocolate (I feel like saying "check!" after this, for some reason), molasses, light banana--nutty like banana bread--subtle bacon smokey, some port oxidation. Good.
T: Dark chocolate throughout, clean fig and cranberry, cigar smoke in the finish, almost cloying sweet to a more dry earthy finish.
M: Thick and syrupy immediately turns light and almost crisp and lingers sticky.
O: Good. Between BORIS and BCBS in a good way. (562 characters)

3.65/5  rDev -10.8%

Poured from a 22 oz. bottle into a tulip. Thanks to goodstrongbeer for bringing this out.

Appearance: This is a good looking pour. The beer itself has a deep ebony hue while the cap retains a coffee and cream color. The head never obtains a very large volume, however, and it slowly settles to a collar around the glass.

Smell: As advertised, the aroma does tend toward the dark chocolate and roasted malt side of things. Not really sweet, but rather dark unsweetened chocolate is the primary aroma, with roasted malt, and some smoke and tobacco in the back.

Taste: The flavor matches the profile of the aroma without matching the intensity. The dark chocolate and roasted malt flavors again dominate, with some roast coffee, smoke, and light dark fruits present as well. The finish is lightly bitter.

Mouthfeel: This has a surprisingly light body for a 10% stout, I was expecting this to be much more full and viscous. The carbonation is creamy and smooth, but the light body detracts a fair amount from my enjoyment of the beer.

Overall: This was not significantly better than any other number of imperial stouts and doesn't seem to warrant the praise it receives. (1,171 characters)

3.68/5  rDev -10%

On tap at GABF; two samples.

Pours dark brown or even black with a very thin head. Aromas of chocolate, roasted sweet malt, and a touch of coffee. Taste of bittersweet chocolate, roasted malt, dark fruit, and a hint of alcohol. This is another of those elusive brews I was glad to have tasted but just don't get the hype. A very quaffable brew but I'm not going to trade away the cellar to acquire a bottle of this. (416 characters)

3.83/5  rDev -6.4%

Pours black with a short head and a nice ring of lacing.

Scent of chocolate, raisins, oats, roasted malts, dark fruit, sugars, and a hint of alcohol. While not particularly impressive it had a good depth and balance as well as some nice complexity.

Taste of bittersweet chocolate, roasted malts, dark fruit, and molasses. Has a nice bitterness to it with nearly unnoticeable alcohol. A tasty brew.

Mouthfeel is very smooth and heavy bodied with a small amount of carbonation.

This is a good beer to try if you can find it. I just don't understand all the hype. Good Luck finding it, I had to trade my left n.. to get a bottle of it! (636 characters)

4.22/5  rDev +3.2%

22oz bottle poured into a Mikkeller wine glass. Bottle generously provided by thagr81us as an extra, thanks a ton Calton!!

A - Pours a smooth, sensual, dark mocha brown, and I'd feel comfortable calling this as close to black as you can get. There's only about a finger of sand-colored head, which doesn't last very long before reducing to a thin cap and small bubbles. The lacing almost seems to repel itself, breaking apart in strands rather than form a cohesive covering, but this leads to some neat topography ripe with ridges and canyons of lace.

S - The nose on this is, as would be expected, exceptionally rich in chocolate. Unlike Southern Tier's Chokolat, however, this is a bittersweet cocoa smell rather than the sweet, fudge-like chocolate in Chokolat. Besides that, there isn't a whole lot else besides some fresh espresso roast. There may be traces of darker fruits and alcohol afoot, but if present, is quite faint.

T - Surprisingly, the strong cocoa presence in the nose gives way to more roast in the taste. I guess this gives it a bit more balance, but I would've loved to see the chocolate be the dominant feature in a beer that is named, well, Sexual Chocolate. It starts off nicely enough, with a baker's chocolate flavor mixed with some sweeter malts to give it a nice toffee or molasses edge. From there, I'm actually getting a big, big burst of coffee that begins to overpower the other flavors. This roast continues into the finish, where again, I'm getting traces of dark fruits, but they are buried far below the espresso.

M - Mouthfeel is moderately heavy-bodied with medium-low carbonation. Despite the lowish carbonation, it doesn't burden the palate or get too heavy. The head, while it lasts, lends it a nice creaminess, like the bloom on a freshly-pressed cup of coffee.

D/O - Drinkability is pretty high. I'll start with a disclaimer: Overall and generally, I felt this was a damn tasty beer throughout and really enjoyed drinking it. The issue I take with it, however, is that I don't think I got an overwhelming chocolate presence that would justify it being named after it. I'm not bashing the beer or it's name at all; for all I know, Foothills could've just picked the name based on it being catchy and exciting and because this beer actually does exhibit a semblance of chocolate. That being said, I can't say I didn't come into this beer expecting dominant chocolate ala Chokolat. I love coffee and coffee stouts, though, so I didn't mind the hostile takeover performed by the espresso in the taste. I hope I get the chance to try the barrel-aged version of this, because it seems like the bourbon would really transform the nuances of this beer. (2,692 characters)

3.46/5  rDev -15.4%

Thank you morimoto, I opened a bottle of this and passed it around on DLD, not getting the pour I needed. You provided me with a 2nd chance to give it a deserved taste.

A - Pours a fairly dark, +1.5" brown head. Doesn't appear to be that thick, but rather an average or slightly above average RIS body. Looks nice overall with good head retention. A little better looking than par, but doesn't have the long thick legs I'd expected.

S - Smoke and roasted malt. Nothing special at all here for me. The guy next to me likes it, but this isn't his review.

T - Smokey. Roasted Malts. Smokey. Tries to get a little sweet, but then it doesn't and instead stays smokey. I get a little cocoa, NOT CHOCOLATE, towards the end. As I sip on it more, chocolate comes out in the middle of the flavor. Slightly bitter, definitely smokey finish. I think the smoke takes away from the chocolate potential here. I'm not sure where the anticipated chocolate went....maybe it evaporated and rained over at the Bruery. Seriously though, I dislike that I have to drink 1/2 a glass to get that cocoa flavor. I'm starting to enjoy the beer a bit towards the end, but at a tasting I'd be bummed.

M - Good enough body for a RIS. Not as thick as I'd prefer, but there aren't many that are. I respect the thickness. Creamy mouthfeel is positive.

O - I am disappointed with this one. The smoke takes away from what I think is a decent amount of potential. It is evident throughout my entire 10-12oz pour. Chocolate only comes out after 6oz or so. Otherwise, I have to fight to find it. I'm not going to kill the score because I find it to be unique and it does get a lot better as the glass empties. Less smoke is my request. However, I can see how some people could really enjoy this. I think this is a smoked beer drinker's paradise. Unfortunately, it isn't my preference. I think the BA version will probably benefit from the smokiness though. (1,923 characters)

4.04/5  rDev -1.2%

Another awesome installment of Tuesdays with Doopie. This was a killer theme man, having both the base and the PvW barrel aged version back to back. Good times!

From a bomber into a snifter
Vintage: 2011

Note: 2010 vintage, bottle 602/1000 was badly infected. Gave it an F (1.2) and was the lowest score for about a year. Those were the days.

APPEARANCE: Black pour yields a one finger, medium looking tan head with decent retention, fading down to a wisp and ring. Black body with medium levels of carbonation evident. Only a ring remains until the end but leaves no lacing down the glass. Average looking, but much better than the infected variant.

SMELL: Some roasted and smoky malt, but then a nice dose of cocoa powder and pure, dark chocolate. Only a medium strength nose, but definitely enticing.

TASTE: Roasted malts, a smoky touch, with some sweet caramel up front. That moves quickly into a sweet molasses and caramel middle, then into a pure chocolate and cocoa laced finish. Bold and lingering aftertaste is quite bitter, with bitter chocolate, roasted notes and some lingering heat on the palate. Good story here, going from a roasted and sweet beginning into a bitter chocolate finish. Very nice stuff.

PALATE: Medium body, lighter on the palate for the style, and medium carbonation. Creamy on the palate, goes down smooth with a bit of a burn after the swallow and finishes slightly mouth-coating. Fine, but a little too light on the palate for the style.

OVERALL: This was an excellent beer, and dare I say it actually lived up to expectations. The average look and feel were a drawback perhaps, but the nose was enticing and the flavors wonderfully put together. This stout told a story, which sets it apart from many of the other imperial chocolate stouts out there. Unique in its conception and impressive in its execution, this one is well worth the hunt. In fact, its unique qualities led me to enjoy it more than the barrel aged version, which, while being a great barrel aged imperial stout in its own right, had dominated much of what made the base Sexual Chocolate special. Regardless, both are worth checking out if you can. Thanks again for sharing Doops, and thanks for sending these over John. (2,236 characters)

2.45/5  rDev -40.1%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2 | overall: 2.5

The pour looks a bit thin, more along the lines of a traditional stout then an imperial stout really, some light shows through the edges, but maybe i am just used to pouring so many black holes like hunahpu & darklord, no where near that.
The aroma seem to have a bit of a lactose and coffee note to it, more roasty then chocolate.
Now that we are at the flavors there is something of a burnt vegitable note, i would say asparagus that was burnt. I am very familiar with asparagus. There is afor mentioned high level of roast that is the main game player, the chocolate that the bottle claims only really presents in a powdered coco sort of manor, really dry overall and leaves a lot lacking.

If this was on my local shelves labled year round as something else, i wouldn't buy it, it doesn't taste good. (804 characters)

4.35/5  rDev +6.4%

BIG thanks to Bennettrox for this bottle!!

Pours pitch black, with a finger of dark brown colored creamy head. Dissipates to a nice creamy film.

No surprise here...there's lot's O' chocolate! Complimentary roasted notes and a slight char.

Huge chocolaty taste too. Many different tasting chocolates too. Dark, Belgian, milk, ect. It's very robust and intricate. Roasted malts and a little bit of burnt wood, no alcohol.

Full bodies and silky smooth. Slightly lingering, with great taste notes left behind.

Drinkability is excellent, and this bad mamma jamma has given me jungle fever! (593 characters)

3.47/5  rDev -15.2%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

thanks to bucketboy for the bottle

Bomber poured into a tulip

A-- Poured a dark brown and settled black with just a half a finger of off white head.

S-- Chocolate, coco, coffee and some dark fruits. More of the dark chocolate variety though.

T-- coco powder, dark chocolate, coffee, and roasted malt. Nothing too exciting about this beer.

M-- Lots of dark chocolate and coco powder. Very dry finish to this. Low carbonation and low feel to this. Bits of coffee here and there.

O-- Good but not outstanding. Coffee and chocolate got bigger as I drank on with this. A bit overhyped I thought. (600 characters)

4.42/5  rDev +8.1%

After I got stiffed in a tade by mhl060 johnbjaeger came to the rescue and send me a Sexual Chocolate AND a BA Sexual Chocolate. The good man never tried any of these beers before so hopefully reading my review about the grandeur of these beers will make him happy. Thanks a million John!

2010 Vintage drank right before the BA version.
Poured into two snifters and shared with Jeffo during a Tuesday beer theme night.

I looked at it and saw it was dark, black... it came with a two finger tan head that left before I could say goodbye. Carbonation was visible. Purdy...

I smelled bitter chocolate, smokey oak darkfruits and a hint of sweetness. Grrreat!

First impression upon drinking is that the palate follows the nose with some added flavors like cherries and some earthy mushroom kind of flavor. Digging it!

The body is a little lighter and more airy than one might expect on such a big beer. Carbonation levels are decent.

All together a fantastic stout. Lots of hype surrounds this beer and yes, YES it is good. Recomended!

You da man, John. Jeff thanks for helping me drink this bad boy! (1,103 characters)

3.57/5  rDev -12.7%

Served in a glass mug.

Big thanks to VDubb86 for sharing this bottle!

2009 vintage. Bottle #604/1000. Another bottle shared before my buddy's wedding, his last beer as a single man. It pours a very dark black-brown (almost obsidian, but not quite) topped by a finger of sandy tan foam. The nose comprises chocolate syrup, roasted malts, light coffee, light oak, and light molasses. The taste brings in more of the same, with the emphasis on the chocolate, the coffee, and some added maple syrup. Everything's almost too sweet, clashing with the roast in a strange, though not altogether offensive way. The body is a straight medium, with a light moderate carbonation and a feel that edges to the brink of watery. Overall, a pretty decent impy stout, but it's much too thin and the flavors just don't work together very well. It's good, but nowhere near worth the hype. (870 characters)

4.38/5  rDev +7.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

My 200th beer Really wanted to try this one for some time now.

A: Pours dark black with a thick, creamy layer of light brown head. The head sticks around for awhile and there is some decent lacing on this one.

S: Lots of dark fruit are in the nose, with some roasted malts and hints of coco also picked up some smokey scents in this one.

T: The roasted malt is very pronounced in the flavor. Meanwhile the dark chocolate and dark fruit take a back seat to the malt. Which kind of surprised me because I thought the chocolate notes would be stronger in this one.

M: Very soft and creamy mouthfeel. Carbonation is there but does not assault the tongue. The finish is very easy. Really thought it was done very well.

D: A very drinkable beer. I thought this beer was going to have a stronger chocolate flavor I guess mainly because of the name, however I really like the balance in the mouthfeel and flavor. The 9.7% abv goes virtually unnoticed in the finish. I'm really glad I had the opportunity to get a bottle of this beer. I probably will seek it out again really enjoyed it. (1,083 characters)

3.5/5  rDev -14.4%

Thanks for sharing, Josh! Poured into a tulip. There is a large head of about 2 inches that doesn't stick around except for a thin layer of tan bubbles on top. The body is very black.

The aroma is heavy with burnt char. There is a hint of chocolate and slight grassy hop as well. Maybe a bit of burnt rubber.

The taste is heavy on the burnt character. There is some chocolate sweetness, but compared to other chocolate beers it seems minimal. I should note that several sips in I get a note of authentic bittersweet cocoa (like those 70% chocolate bars).

The body is medium to medium-heavy. The carbonation is soft and bubbly.

Not bad but definitely a disappointment. One would expect more chocolate from a beer with chocolate in the name. (743 characters)

2.74/5  rDev -33%

Bottle shared by the generous Josh. Poured into a tulip. This one pours dark brown and sits black in the glass with a finger of tan head that settles down with a little bit of sticky lace.

A little bit of a smokey char aroma comes right away. Very faint chocolate aroma here. Instead of roast, I mostly get char though. This has a leathery flavor with little bit of smoke and lots of char. Honestly seems like this one was simply burned.

The feel is a bit thin for an RIS and the carbonation is soft but there.

Overall this one is a little dissapointing. Nothing bad or offensive here but just not what one would hope it would be. (634 characters)

3.13/5  rDev -23.5%

728th Review on BA
Bottle to snifter
22oz
2010 Vintage

Clusterfork7

Thanks to Gurudel for this one.

App- It was a nice mix of browns, reds for a stout but just too light. A nice one finger slightly lighter khaki colored head was there but receded quickly.

Smell- What the hell happened here? This is sexual chocolate? Its a mix of smoke, bacon and wood. I think something went very wrong.

Taste- At least on the taste of the beer its not so bad. Its still a pretty good stout but dont see what all the fuss is on this one. Nice run of the mill stout flavors and has a subdued malt presence. Not a hoppy stout either. Has a good roast note but just a tinge of that woody bacon flavor.

Mouth- A medium bodied stout with a paired carbonation level. A little velvety on the residual flavors. This was best part of this beer.

Drink- It was unremarkable for as much hype as this beer gets. I hope this was just a bad bottle or the vintage isnt as good as other. I probably wont trade for any other years after this one. (1,020 characters)

4.18/5  rDev +2.2%

February 2010 release bottle #536/1000. Enjoyed with Slatetank and Kegatron. Poured into a snifter, this brew appears black in color with a dark brown head about a finger strong. The cap recedes to just a lacing across the top with leggy lacework sticking to the glass. When held to the light some clarity is seen around the edges with lighter brown and some reddish hues. A swirl revives the cap back to a finger's strength.

The smell of this brew is dark and fruity like raisins mixed with estery alcohol inclusion. This is a bit of a surprise considering this is suppose to be "sexual chocolate." More smells reveal roasted malt that comes across like a scent of chocolate coupled with tangy alcohol aspects. Some more chocolate indications are present minorly reminiscent of cocoa batter as the brew warms up. Hops seem to be present with a fruity inclusion that accents the alcohol's tangy esters. Overall quite a tangy smelling offering that is dark and fruity.

The taste is bitter roasted grains, lightly charred with raisins and alcohol. Bitter semisweet chocolate is present along with estery alcohol that is quite tangy. There is a minor note of coffee present with lots of roasted elements. The tangy inclusion seems a bit like citrus coffee beans. Much more fruited in flavor than I was expecting. The aftertaste is roasty with chocolate and coffee bitterness.

This is a medium bodied brew with a modest level of carbonation. It is quite tangy with alcohol and fruity hops intermingled. It is possibly more tangy and fruited than it is chocolaty which is surprising to me. Regardless it is excessively drinkable. As the brew evolved in my glass it took on a bit of a vinous, maybe even port-like quality. Overall a solid offering, one to seek out for sure. (1,771 characters)

4.3/5  rDev +5.1%

thanks so much to Stakem for sharing this with Kegatron and me -enjoyed chilled from a snifter. #536 of 1000.

The color is practically black, over 70 srm according to the label which is an opaque shade with thick sandy cap that settles rapidly with a tight bead that revives into a thin cap of lace when swirled and lace sticks. The strong chocolate odor has slight spice from the cocoa nibs and light earthy twang of yeast. The slight woody malt aroma is accented by a light caramel sweetness. The texture is slightly dry and bitter with a roasted malt presence and subtle tannic tinge with mild fruitiness and slight spice with hint of yeast creaminess in the middle a gentle bitter taste is present throughout.

The taste has a lot of roast but mild chocolate, the nose carries more cocoa with a subtle spice note perhaps a bitter cocoa nib taste. The yeast adds a gentle twang of dark chocolate and slight coffee-like acidic note with slight berry undercurrent and mild toasted graininess. The dark malt is slightly astringent with a hint of hop bitterness coming in at the end of the taste. This was a great stout, I enjoyed it and was looking forward to having it in bottled form. I enjoyed a small sample on draft at Extreme beer fest, but that was years ago - this was pretty high in drinkability with some nice complexity and fits the style well. I can only guess that this is a beer you may want to taste fresh based on the cocoa flavor subtlety. (1,460 characters)

4.18/5  rDev +2.2%

Finally trying this longtime want. Traded by FourKicks. Bottle 143/1000 Feb. 2010 vintage.

Pours a sexy shade of black with a nice tan head, retains well as a thick cap eventually and leaves good lacing.

Roast/coffee forward in the scent, some chocolate and dark fruit.

Taste brings roasted malt and espresso on intensely, chocolate is there but seems a bit faded (age probably.) Caramel and lots of dark fruit easily noticeable, some smoke.

Mouthfeel felt a bit weak and thin, there is a bit of booze but not a bother.

A very good stout, the roastiness took some time to get used to but I wound up enjoying that element alot. I imagine this may be quite a different beer when fresh. (688 characters)

3.23/5  rDev -21%

Poured into a 7oz glass snifter.

Smell dominates of fig and dark fruit. Slight hint of bakers chocolate as it warms. A finger and a half worth of mocha head. Lacing is evident.

Taste is of smoke and peat. Teriyaki and meat coincide. This beer is chewy for all the wrong reasons. The smoke and meat dominate my mouth and flavor profile. It was hard to finish my small pour.

Honestly this was a one time experience. I wouldn't drink it again if it was free. Meat filled boring garbage. (486 characters)

4.07/5  rDev -0.5%

February 2010, thanks to Chico1985. 143/1000. Review #666, heh.

A- Pitch black into an oversized wine glass. Mocha colored head grows to a nice size and retains decently. Tons of thick lace on the glass.

S- Very, very intensely roasted up front. Cocoa comes into play nicely as well as some smoke, leather feel.

T- Roast malt forward again, one of the roastiest beers I have had. Some vanilla, caramel, coffee, tart dark fruit, cherry, raisin and smoke. You can sense some of the age.

MF- A bit thin on the body IMO. A somewhat creamy feel with high carbonation. Slight tartness.

A first I was skeptical but it grew on me with time and warmth. A good complexity opens up and it ends up very nice. (701 characters)

3.13/5  rDev -23.5%

Bottle from crackedkettle, 2008 vintage.
Look: the beer pours dark black color with a medium brown head
Smell: Roasted malts, coffee, caramel, sweet molasses, hops and very very light chocolate.
Taste: The taste follows the nose. Malts, old coffee, caramel and very light chocolate but also some red fruits. The beer has a sharp bittersweet aftertaste.
Mouthfeel: Thin and watery body, medium carbonation
Overall: Highly overrated. Old coffee with almost no chocolate. Thin and unbalanced. Tons of better beers in this style (524 characters)

Sexual Chocolate from Foothills Brewing Company - Downtown Brewpub